Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Drawing Salve- Acne/Cystic
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I recently posted about Prid's drawing salve and discovered it was hardly mentioned on these boards. The stuff is fantastic! It's an old fashioned homeopathic remedy for splinters, blisters, boils, etc... I've mainly used it for a bad body zit. You put some drawing salve on it, cover it with a bandaid and its gone the next day!
Here's a quote from MarMur1 in another thread where it was briefly mentioned:
The Yonka site spells it "Ichtiol" and there are a few sites that seem to sell ointment by that name, and are listed (as Eve mentioned) as an anti-inflammatory agent, with local anesthetic and antiseptic properties. A few sites note that Ichtiol is a sulfur derivative, which makes sense, because a lot of drying potions and acne treatments seem to contain sulfur.

One of the foreign sites listed it like this: "(Ichtiol - Ichtammol)," so after doing a search on Ichtammol, I found a site which mentioned that "Ichthammol is a mixture of sulfone acid ammonium salt, it contains water and ammonium sulfate, and 11,5% of organically combined Sulphur."

...and yet another site spelled it differently, as Ichthammol, which yielded the following, which I personally think is the most helpful: "Ichthammol (or Ichthyol) is a black viscous liquid, which is a distillation product of bituminous schist or shale. It is commonly used in an ointment in 10% or 20% concentrate as a "drawing salve", also called "black ointment", and it seems to work by softening skin cells."

You can purchase this stuff made by a lot of different brands but my favorite is the Prids. I actually found it at a local pharmacy, but they also sell it at drugstore.com (its a steal at under $4)
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=13293&catid=82242&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=82242&trxp2=13293&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH
Prid's description:
"PRID has been a standby to farmers, parents and doctors for years! Along with its old recipe drawing agents Phenol and Ichthammol (Acidum Carbolicum) it has the support of Arnica for bruising, Calendula for healing, Echinacea for its antiseptic qualities, and homeopathic drawing agents Silica, Sulphur and Hepar Sulph. Thus PRID is still a favorite for relieving all kinds of pain and irritation from boils and minor skin eruptions to splinters and bruises."

The only other mention I found of this stuff on this board is by TinaMarie8, describing how to use it (I use it the exact same way):
"At night, if I have one of those huge, painful, under-the-skin buggers, I put drawing salve on a bandaid and then put it over the blemish. It helps to bring them to the surface more quickly. A bandaid is necessary, because the salve is black, greasy, and very stinky"

I know how well Ichthammol works on the occasional pimple so this mask looks very promising for those with Cystic acne
http://www.darcyskincare.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DOS&Product_Code=DIM2J&Category_Code=
I have not tried this mask, but it looks great! Anyone tried it or anyone have good experience with one particular brand of drawing salve over another?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
This stuff sounds great! Does it work on the face? I am going through a cycle of cystic acne Sad I am about to splurge on the Lumniport Dermastyle Acne Pen. I hope it works. Maybe I'll try this in the mean time...
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Its not a miracle but a couple months ago I had a zit that felt like a pea under my skin. You couldn't even see it other than a little redness but it hurt and I knew it was there! It was the kind of zit that would take forever to erupt... that you'd want to try to pop along the way but it'd never be ready to, THAT kind of zit. I put this stuff on it immediatly and after 2 nights the zit just vanished. I've had them vanish on my body with this stuff overnight. I don't get many zits these days especially those kinds so I haven't had very much experimentation with it on my face. I do think it works ALOT better than zit creams though because when I was younger I had bad skin and zits like that and they'd take forever to go away. I wish I would have known about this stuff when I was alot younger. I think its just good stuff to have though cuz its better than neosporin! You can put it on cuts, scrapes, splinters, etc etc. Its hard to find in Walgreens or stores like that. I got lucky with finding it at an old fashioned pharmacy kind of place. You should try the Prid and if you've got some extra money to spend that D'arcy face mask looks awesome. But I don't see any reviews on the D'arcy so it's a hit or miss.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
This sounds very interesting.

When I was a teenager, my Great Aunt made a concoction she called "Sulphur and Treacle". I was to take a tablespoon a day. It tasted awful, so I didn't keep up with it, but I do remember it helped with my pimples. Wish I knew the recipe, it might come in handy when my kids are older.

Kylie
Mabsy

Tue May 16, 2006 2:37 am      Reply with quote
These types of ointments are fab! Every time I go back to Poland I get this one ointment that my mum has always had in the house for as long as I remember. Looking at the name of it it's also based on Ichtiol. It's also a black gooey ointment. Not particularly pleasant but it draws out any deep pimples super fast! It's also very good at softening up millia so that they just pop out easily.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 4:56 am      Reply with quote
FYI - Ichtiol is a primary ingredient in Yonka's Juvenil. I've been trying for nearly a year to get my hands on 100% pure Ichtiol (w/o added ingredients) so I could perfect my DIY recipe for homemade Juvenil but haven't had any luck. I've only found the drawing salves that you guys have mentioned, but not the ingredient by itself... Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 am      Reply with quote
Waaah!! It sounds great, but my skin doesn't tolerate sulfur!! Sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:06 am      Reply with quote
This stuff sounds great!!
What exactly is millia? I think this may be what I have on my temple & chin area.
Thanks
Mabsy

Tue May 16, 2006 6:20 am      Reply with quote
laine wrote:
What exactly is millia? I think this may be what I have on my temple & chin area.
Thanks

Hard lumps that tend to come up around the eye area (and other areas as well). Generally they are blocked pores but are really hard to get out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:22 am      Reply with quote
laine wrote:
This stuff sounds great!!
Thanks
Whiteheads. They usually have an extremely tough skin over them and a hard little 'seed' (unlike the stuff that comes out of a blackhead which is firm but can still be squished) inside. They are very difficult to get rid of due to the tough skin covering them and many times I actually have to pierce my milia with a super-fine gauge hypodermic needle (I get em from my mom who is diabetic) before I'm able to extract the seed. Thankfully, though, once you've removed the milia seed, they usually don't come back and reform, unlike blackheads which will return right away unless you keep your pores super clean.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I never realized this stuff was good for millia! I haven't had one of those in awhile but I'm definitely prone to them and man are they annoying! Next time I get one, I'll try this stuff on it!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
FYI - Ichtiol is a primary ingredient in Yonka's Juvenil. I've been trying for nearly a year to get my hands on 100% pure Ichtiol (w/o added ingredients) so I could perfect my DIY recipe for homemade Juvenil but haven't had any luck. I've only found the drawing salves that you guys have mentioned, but not the ingredient by itself... Sad

Carekate I found pure Ichthammol (Ammonium Ichthosulfonate) .... I will pm you with the details, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but isn't Ichthammol and Ichtiol the same thing? Isn't Ichtiol the foreign version of Ichthammol? Hmmm.. I'm not sure, but hopefully I'm right!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Yep, my mom used to use Ickthamol on my dad's face. It worked really well to get rid of these big lumps he used to get. But what a mess! It's black and tar-like, sticky stuff.
canadagal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
If I am to go into a pharmacy what is the generic name for this? I live in MOscow where hardly any of the pharmicists speak ENglish. But I have found if I have a generic name they can usually find what I need.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
canadagal wrote:
If I am to go into a pharmacy what is the generic name for this? I live in MOscow where hardly any of the pharmicists speak ENglish. But I have found if I have a generic name they can usually find what I need.

Hmmm.. I'm pretty sure that drawing salve's generic name would be any sort of "Ichthammol ointment". Like others have said, its a dark tarry sort of consistancy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
wah, i never knew this product existed. Have only tried normal creams, which don't work too well on my skin. This will definitely add to my arsenal against zits, pimples, what have you Wink
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I used generic drawing salve on a cyst and it is smaller. But has anyone noticed that it 1) stains the skin and 2) changes the texture of the skin?

There's actually a dark spot where I put the salve, which won't come off. I imagine it'll wear off after a while.

And the skin around the cyst is also wrinkly in an odd way. It may be due to a drying effect, in which case it'll flake off soon enough.

Anyone else had this?

T
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm.. I never had that problem, what brand did you use? I've only tried Prid's which I've heard isn't as strong as some of the other brands. It IS a very dark color so I imagine it could stain the skin, I've just never had that problem. I really think it may have to do with the percentage of the Ichthammol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Too Involved, there's a possibility you might be allergic to sulfur--- do you use any other sulfur products? When I was younger I could use sulfur with impunity (and did I ever!), but 4 or 5 years ago I started noticing that my skin did weird stuff when I used sulfur--- everything from weird bumps and rashes to becoming very dry and wrinkly. So, there is a slight possibility that you have developed a sensitivity too...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi!

Yeah, the wrinkly skin is what happened to me. So maybe you're right, I could have an allergy to sulfur, although I have used sulfur in the past with no ill effects that I can recall. This was a generic drug store brand.

My husband said it looks like cellophane, sort of shiny. To me it looked like someone wiped a spot of clear nail polish on my face. I put some retin A on it last night and the spot is lighter. Then I used a homemade DHCC as a scrub. Now the spot is not only wrinkly but it's also cracking and not as shiny anymore. In sum, it looks lika rhino's behind.

But on the bright side, the cyst is flatter now.

TI
aje66

Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
ichtiol?was it?someone said they found the pure form?could someone tell me where to get it?
thanks,angie
rdhdstpchld

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Walgreens carries Prid, but you have to ask for it at the pharmacy at my local walgreens. It is over the counter, but for whatever weird reason of their own, they hide it. Great, great, great stuff.
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Yon-ka's Juvenil contains ichtiol, among other things, although it's very expensive.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Holmes wrote:
Yon-ka's Juvenil contains ichtiol, among other things, although it's very expensive.

I never used it for acne, but Prids is relatively inexpensive and works like a charm. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I like the idea of curing cystic acne almost over night!!!

I went around pharmacies and Vitamin Food stores looking for PRID's and found none existing here in Ottawa, so again here goes my usual question

Can anyone tell me if PRID's can be found in CANADA or ordered from the web without killing shipping charges?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |