Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

::REVIEW:: Dermalogica Products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Dermalogica now for about a month and thought I would submit a review on the products I have made a decision about. Some of the others I think I still need a bit of time to make a decision on. I really like the Dermalogica line so far ... I think some of the products I've been using are very effective. Their pamphlet says "all products are non-comedogenic and contain no occlusive mineral oil or lanolin, no irritating artificial colours or fragrance, and no drying S.D. alcohol or formaldehyde".

They suggest you have a "face mapping" to determine the best products for your skin type. I had mine down at a local salon when I had a facial. I would consider my skin combination, cheeks can get dry, nose/chin area still suffers from clogged pores, some pigmentation and the start of some fine lines. Before I started using these products, I had been on Clinique which really dehydrated my skin. My skin is much more hydrated now, brighter and some of the fine lines seem smoothed out. However, I am still experiencing breakouts and blackheads in my chin/nose area. There are alot of products here because I went crazy and decided I needed to try them all at once. Smile Luckily I happen to really love most of them.

Precleanse: This is their cleansing oil and although it smells wonderful (smells like lemons to me), I don't think I would repurchase. I don't think it does any more than the other cleanser I use (see below) and instead of having two bottles of cleanser, I'd rather just use one. You're supposed to be able to use it around your eye area to take off eye makeup and that's one of the reason I thought I'd buy it (instead of having an additional eye makeup remover as well), but it felt like it got into my eyes too much and made them feel "cloudy". I'll still use this up though since I don't think it's doing anything bad to my skin either.

Special Cleansing Gel: Definite repurchase! This is a great cleanser for me ... they suggest you do a "double cleanse" to take off your makeup and then get your face really clean. I can use this twice in a row and it doesn't dry my skin out. I have a problem with cleansers in that sometimes they really seem to make my face feel tight afterwards ... this one feels really nice.

Daily Microfoliant: Definite repurchase! I love how you this is gentle enough to use every day AND I really believe my face is brighter since using this. It's made of a "rice-based enzyme powder" that you wet and rub over your face. The only thing is I wish they had smaller holes in the top of the container ... sometimes I accidently get too much on my hands and I hate to waste this. I think this gives a nice exfoliation, but once a week I like to use something their Skin Preb Scrub to get a deeper exfoliation (see review below).

Skin Prep Scrub: Definite repurchase! Once a week I like to use this scrub for a deeper exfoliation. It's make of "natural corn cob meal" and even though it's a stronger scrub, it still doesn't feel drying or damaging to your skin. Sometimes if my nose area gets flaky during the week (by using too much clearing gel), I'll use a bit there to take off the flakes. I bought this primarily to use as the first step to my home facial.

Multi-Active Toner: I just bought this in a travel pack the other week, but already I know I love it! I like to use it when I get home from work with a cotton pad to take off some of my makeup (before I wash my face later that night). It's very refreshing, hydrating and not drying at all on my skin like some toners can be. It is in a spray bottle which I don't love (I hate spraying something directly on my face), but I just spray it onto a cotton pad and use it like that. I would buy this again as well.

Skin Smoothing Cream: LOVE this cream! They call it their "medium weight" cream and I was worried it might be too much for my skin, but it's perfect. It feels really nice on my skin. It is for "normal to dry" skin types, but I try to keep it on my cheek and forehead area and use it only sparingly on my chin/nose area. I would repurchase this ... it really makes me skin feel nicely hydrated. I use it at night.

Active-Moist: I had this in a travel pack and I'm not loving it for me. It's for normal to oil skin types which should be better for my skin (than the skin smoothing cream), but I find it's not hydrating enough for me. I'm going to give this to another person I know who does love this moisturizer.

Sheer Tint Moisture SPF15: I really like this tinted moisturizer. It has a really nice finish to it ... somewhat lightly shimmery, but not overly so and a really nice coverage. When I'm having a better "face day" I can get away without much foundation (except for under my eyes). I would repurchase this, although I wish it had an SPF30 instead of 15.

Skin Hydrating Booster: My cheeks do have a tendency to sometimes get dryer and this really helps. Just a small amount spreads over the areas you want to add extra moisture to and really soaks right in. I use just a little on my cheek area most nights. I would repurchase this.

Multivitamin Power Concentrate: These are doses of pure vitamins that are enclosed in capsules that they suggest you use every day. I think they suggest you use one capsule a day, but first of all, they are very expensive and second, I can get about 3 days worth out of one capsule ( I just close it up really tightly in saran wrap to try to preserve). I don't think I'd repurchase these. It seems a little oily on my skin (I only use it on my forehead, cheeks and neck) and I'm worried it could cause more breakouts. I think for the price and for how oily it feels and I'm not sure it's made much of a difference ... these aren't for me. I will keep using them up thought until they're gone just 'cause I don't want to waste them.

Multivitamin Power Firm for Eye and Lip Area: I really think this made a difference in the skin around my eyes. The Clinique Repairwear had made my fine lines stand out more (I think it was just really dehydrated) and using this has made alot of difference. My fine lines are diminished and smoothed out. I think it does have some silicone or something in it because it has that "silicone" feel to it. It makes a nice base for the makeup around the eyes. You do have to let it dry well before putting anything else over it (otherwise I found it rubs off some). I would repurchase this unless I find something better. I'm definitely happy with this.

Medicated Cleansing Gel: I'm really not sure this has done alot for me. I use it every night on my nose and chin and I'm STILL breaking out. At first I thought it was making a difference, but this last week things have come back so I'm not sure how effective it is for me. Someone else I know though loves this and it's working really well for her. I wouldn't repurchase (I have the Juice Beauty Blemish Serum coming that I hope will work better). The good thing about this is that it didn't really seem drying at all on my skin (sometimes this past week I would use it more than just at night and it gave me a few flakes around the nose, but they say you are supposed to use it at night).

Solar Defense Booster SPF30: I liked the idea of using this in combination with the Sheer Moisture which is only SPF15. I think it made my nose more shiny though. I will still use it on those days when I might be out in the sun more, but for daily use I wouldn't use it just because it does make me more shiny.

Things I haven't decided on yet:

Skin Renewal Booster
Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque
Night Bright

All in all, I'm really pleased with Dermalogica. I think their products are really well made and effective. I will definitely continue to repurchase many of these (unless something better comes up down the line for me).
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following products available at EDS:
Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner (250 ml / 8.4 oz)
Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner (250 ml / 8.4 oz)

An ultra-light facial spritz of skin-repairing Aloe Vera combined with soothing extracts of Lavender, Balm Mint and Arnica to refresh and hydrate the skin after cleansing and throughout the day.

Dermalogica MultiVitamin Power Firm (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dermalogica MultiVitamin Power Firm (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Powerful firming complex helps combat lines around the delicate eye area. Accelerate skin's natural repair process with Vitamin A as antioxidant vitamins C and E improve elasticity while scavenging free radicals. Silicones shield vulnerable skin, acting as a protective barrier against further assault.

tammymamtam
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
i have the multi vitamin mask and its great too. and the face resurfer also.
Mabsy

Sun May 21, 2006 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the great multi-product review! That's excellent!

I haven't tried everything on your list, but the following are the products from your list that I have tried and would personally repurchase:

Microfoliant (definitely - this is fantastic!)
Sheer Tint Moisture
Skin Hydrating Booster
Multivitamin Power Concentrate - it is oily but for some reason works well on my skin
Medicated Clearing Gel - this works well for me on those deep pimples that are threatening to come up, or at least it did when I tried it last about two years ago

Some others I'd get again:
Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque
Stress Relief Body Oil
possibly Active toner - jury is still out on that one.
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 3:16 am      Reply with quote
The Microfoliant is definitely one of my favs Smile I also use Active Moist during summer & really like the Multivitamin Hand & Nail Treatment SPF15, but most people don't really seem to like this product for some reason.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I forgot about the Multivitamin Hand & Nail Treatment SPF15. I have been using this as well and I do like this. It makes my hands feel really soft and I like that it has the SPF.

I just used the Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque again this morning and I do like it ... but it's hard to see if it's really making a difference in skin (since I only use it once a week). I do really love the smell though ... smells like oranges to me. Yummmm!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 2:16 am      Reply with quote
Loved your review, I have liked what little of Dermalogica I have tried and am very tempted to purchase the Oily skin pack....your review is stearing me to actually purchasing!!! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
looks like I been for a product knowlege class. Very Happy
SpaNancy

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried the refining mask? I've sold and used d. for almost 17 years (my how time flies!). It looks like you are using the right products for your skin.

The pre-cleanse really is wonderful for removing blackheads. The oil is attracted to the oil in your skin. Put it on dry and massage it in really well, then moisten your hands and massage again. You'll see how the product emulsifies and begins to attract the water loving molecules - neat, huh!

Then cleanse with SCGel - exfoliate with either Skin Prep Scrub (which is actually "lighter" than daily MF)or try Gentle Cream Exfoliant and follow with refining mask on blackhead and breakout areas. You can use another mask on the dryer/dehydrated areas at the same time.

TIME TIP: Mask while you are cleaning house, walking on the treadmill, etc. Multi-Task!
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:31 am      Reply with quote
I only really use the Multivitamin hand cream, m/v mask and deodeorant from Dermalogica now. The other products didnt really do much for my skin
lotus003
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:03 am      Reply with quote
I just used Sheer Tint Moisture,derma clay cleanser,Skin Hydrating Booster .
simplenpure
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
None of the cleanser worked for me. Microfoliant is one of my favourites. Will definitely repurchase again.
Rufus
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:19 am      Reply with quote
The Microexfoliant and the special clearing gel are great. I also have the skin renewal booster and the skin prep scrub. I'm getting to like this line as it works and doesn't have perfumy smell to it.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:53 am      Reply with quote
I just got one of the Dermalogica buffing cloths - used it for the first time in the shower today and loved it! It leaves the skin smooth without scratching, and there's no mess like you get with some scrubs.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I thought I'd post an update on my original post. Well, it was late May that I wrote my first review and now, about 7 months later, I have moved more away from Dermalogica - although I am still using some of the line. It wasn't so much that I realized I didn't like some of the things I had originally liked, but that I am so tempted by other things. Smile

What I am still using:

Dermalogica Power Firm Eye/Lip (although I have an eye cream from Ice Elements on order that I wanted to try)
Skin Prep Scrub (use this here and there, not regularily)
PreCleanse - still using this at the odd time. I think I would perhaps now repurchase this, however, I have so many cleansers right now on hand that will last me more than a year!
Special Cleansing Gel - still use this here and there, and still like this.

I have to say that while using Dermalogica I was still faced with breakouts. I probably used it for about 3 months before I moved on from some of the products. It wasn't until I moved more into IS Clinical that I felt my skin was more under control. However, recently I've been tempted by Ice Elements and have been trying out some of their products exclusively to give them a fair trial (if I like them, I may use them in conjunction with ISC or on their own if they perform well enough).
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Thx for your great review.
kipyo
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Daily Microfoliant .. Love it !
it makes my face looks brighter and cleaner after every wash and it is very gentle to my sensitive skin Wink
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
tempted to try this line. But, EDS price is higher than some other website. Keep waiting for good deal from EDS.
jacque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your detailed sharing. I tried the samples set. A bit too dry for me. But really works on the break outs! Prefer to use it in the summer.
Kiwi bird
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Fantastic and detailed review thanks Smile
mingkan38
5% products discount

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
I have used "sheer tint moisture spf15 since two months ago and I just love it. No break out at all Laughing
fidget-jones
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I used their Special Cleansing Gel and found it really drying - bit confused, my skin is normal to combination and spot prone. I'd really expected miracles from this cleanser!

The toner was ok, and I also had the Skin Smoothing cream which I found stung a little bit. Haven't managed to use up any of these products sadly and have donated them to the needy charity that is my boyfriend!

HOWEVER

While i didn't get on with these, and many other Dermalogica products, there is one incredible exception....

THE MULTIVITAMIN POWER RECOVERY MASK

It's bloomin marvellous! Almost makes me want to stay up all night drinking just so I can see more of a result the next day! Yes you'll look like a pumpkin whilst smothered in a bright orange face mask but the effects are nothing short of miraculous. It's also worth mentioning that this is the only Dermalogica product I am able to use when my skin is sore and sensitive - all the others sting too much.

Would highly recommend this mask!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I love the multi-vit power recovery mask

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
i dont really like dermalogica products, but i've only used their anti-bac wash, acne mask and lotion. completely dried my skin, i dont think i suffered from an allergic reaction to it but it did make my cheeks, only my cheeks, burn a little bit. after that bad experience, i havent bought anything from them since
mooon
5% products discount

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
I bought skin hydrating masque last year. But I don't really think it hygrates my face!!!

The gel-like mask is sticky and I don't really feel my face moisturized or radiant.

I think I want mask that will moisture my face and keep my skin radiant. For far, I only find Decleor - flower essence moisturising mask and Valmont - renewing pack work perfectly for me!!!
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Dermalogica is okay but the only products I repurchase are Microfoliant and Special Cleansing Gel. But I have discovered better versions of Microfoliants. I noticed that in Korea and Japan enzyme cleansing powders are pretty popular and prevalent in most brands so I bought myself Dr. Jart Enzyme Cleansing Powder and KAnebo Silk Peeling Powder and I am loving these way more than Microfoliant. They're less drying and skin feels much softer and silkier as a result. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |