Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
siri
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
This is my favorite cleanser. I use it to remove eye-makeup and cleanse my face, and it really does what it says, it is ultracalming. Even though I don't think of my skin as sensitive, this just feels so comforting and nice, and it does its job like no other cleanser I have tried. All makeup is removed with one small pump so the bottle lasts.

Sometimes I use the Dermalogica Microfoliant after cleansing if I feel like I need deeper cleansing, but you don't really need any other product than this if you exfoliate regularly. I am on my 2nd bottle of this, and I only buy again what I can't live without. Other stuff can be nice, but I tend to buy something else if I don't feel like the product is perfect for me. This one is a keeper Smile Smile
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser for Face and Eyes (250 ml / 8.4 oz.)
Dermalogica UltraCalming Cleanser for Face and Eyes (250 ml / 8.4 oz.)

This extremely gentle cleansing gel-cream completely removes even eye make-up without sensitising the skin or leaving any residue. Lavender, Echinacea, Raspberry and Anti-ozonate complex calm inflammation and promote healing.

Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:23 am      Reply with quote
I love it too, and I have just started on my third bottle Very Happy This is definitely a keeper!
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:06 am      Reply with quote
I've had this cleanser for quite some time now and really like how gentle it is. As previous posters have said it's a gel like milky cleanser, scentless and easy to use. No stinging whatsoever. When my skin is sensitive this is all I use. I had a period when I was over useing MDF's glycolic cleanser, so my skin was sensitive and in need of gentle care...so I used this morning and night for a couple of weeks and got my skin back into shape (with a little help from moisturizers etc Wink )

I'll probably repurchase this one at some point, still got almost half a bottle left + I've also got PSF Green Tea cleanser which also is very gentle but more of a creamy lotion.

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I feel that this cleanser deserves some attention! Maybe even a RAVE!

If you have sensitive or reactive and dry skin/easily dehydrated I highly recomend it.

This is the only cleanser I've come across that doesn't leave me desperate for moisture within a minute. And as I've stated before, it is ultra calming. It lives up to it's name Very Happy

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
FaithTruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've always been intrigued by this cleanser however I'm really not sure the lemon extract in it is safe for hyper sensitive types like me. What do you guys think? BTW, the Microfoliant irritated me.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Ive got a sample of this coming to me Very Happy Will this remove zinc and titanium based sunscreens well though? I have their oil cleanser but would like some of this too for days im feeling a little sensitive.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:21 am      Reply with quote
dermologica products: i'm in dermoligica heaven. have finally found products that have helped my skin condition as a result of taking medication for my illness - epilepsy. my skin has suffered badly and become photo-sensitive. dermoligica has helped me to clear up the red blotches and calmed my skin. hugely recommend dermologica products to all.

Laughing
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I don't wear heavy makeup or strong/heavy sunscreens, and am satisfied with it's cleaning abilities. Sometimes I use it after I've cleansed with something else - for the calming effect...so if you're worried it isn't "strong" enough it can always be used as a follow up cleanser

LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
I like the gel-cream texture of this cleanser. But I still found it stinging on days when my skin is very reactive while the Special Cleansing Gel doesn't. Go figure!
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
This is also my fav Dermalogica cleanser & the only one I can actually use. I really like the lightweight texture, but I found that it doesn't remove heavy makeup as well as some of the heavier/thicker textured cleansing milks.
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
...and it does feel abit like Cetaphil Cleanser with lavender essential oil.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
LizaA wrote:
...and it does feel abit like Cetaphil Cleanser with lavender essential oil.

that was my fear, that it was just overpriced cetaphil, which I didn't like. Have any of you ladies also used cetaphil -- and if you have, can you tell me if it was a big difference?
LizaA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Ultracalming cleaser contains wheat protein (a hydrator) which Cetaphil doesn't contain and I believe that Ultracalming also contains oat extracts (I'm assuming that this is beta glucan because I don't remember the ingredient list on Dermalogica explicitly stating this-could be wrong).

I don't think Cetaphil contains these ingredients. But the texture and feel of it on the skin is very similar.

Cleansers don't have enough active levels of ingredients and they don't stay on the skin long enough to have any effect so I don't see how much of an effect Ultracalming will have in reducing and soothing reddness and irritation. I guess it's more that it won't irritate or aggravate the condition but bear in mind that the longer the ingredient list the more chances of irritation. I think Cetaphil has a shorter ingredient list but I guess that would also depend on what one is allergic to.
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:29 am      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

that was my fear, that it was just overpriced cetaphil, which I didn't like. Have any of you ladies also used cetaphil -- and if you have, can you tell me if it was a big difference?

I actually find the ultracalming cleanser rinses off a lot more easier than cetaphil, which always seems to leave a weird greasy film on my skin. I also generally find the cetaphil irritates my skin more for some reason & I don't think you can use it to remove eye makeup Question

Smile
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Safire wrote:
waffle wrote:

I actually find the ultracalming cleanser rinses off a lot more easier than cetaphil, which always seems to leave a weird greasy film on my skin. I also generally find the cetaphil irritates my skin more for some reason & I don't think you can use it to remove eye makeup Question

Smile

ok, the film is what I didn't like about cetaphil either, and I did not find it soothing, just not super drying. So it sounds like this is an appreciable difference.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:55 am      Reply with quote
waffle wrote:

ok, the film is what I didn't like about cetaphil either, and I did not find it soothing, just not super drying. So it sounds like this is an appreciable difference.

I think there is a fair bit of difference in terms of quality & also definitely price! You should first try & get samples of the ultracalming cleanser, that's what I did. Smile From my experience Dermalogica are quite generous with samples too.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 am      Reply with quote
I just used a sample of the Ultracalming cleanser and think its superior to Cetaphil. Definately rinses of more easily Very Happy Dermalogica make good cleansers. I use the precleanse as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Not bad. I was not too keen on the smell though. It's very blah!
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used the ultracalming cleanser after the pre-cleanse? does it remove the excess oil? i'm worried it might clog my pores... my skin seems to have developped a serious hypersensitivity, i'm getting a bunch of red pimples (not acne--i'm using tazorac for that), and since i'm using taz, i'm really quite prone to dryness, but also to clogged pores... i'm trying to find the perfect cleanser... would anyone recommend this?
meggiequn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I think you might stop the pre-cleansing, just use the ultracalming cleanser. I usually use it alone when my skin tends to be sensitive, it's really good.
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
thanks meggiequn,
i think i might try it... do you use any of the other dermalogica cleansers?
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
my skin very oily and sensitive. Can I use this product?
meggiequn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 am      Reply with quote
jzainoun: I once used the special cleansing, which is better for the normal-day use, while I don't know whether it's good for sensitive skin, because I could smell the mint, but at lease for me, it didn't cause any problems.

nickieygirl: The ultra-calming cleansing is for sensitive skin, while special cleansing is good for oily skin, as I said, I'm not sure about the sensitive skins, case by case, I can only say, for me(a little bit sensitive sometimes), the special cleansing is fine.
jandarling
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:47 am      Reply with quote
i've used precleanse before my ultra cleasing and it works perfectly fine on me. Very gentle on my skin, no more peeling and flaking.
ourlovestory
5% products discount

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:24 am      Reply with quote
This is a very nice cleanser which leaves my skin clean, refresh and with a soft touch after washing Smile A bottle can last me 3 months or more!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |