Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Baby Quasar Light Therapy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Early in the Spring, my older sister gave me a really great gift, which I think I've mention here. It was a certificate for a series of 8 Gentle Waves treatments. The deal is that you go in once per week for a microdermabrasion followed by a 90 second Gentle Waves treatment. The Gentle Waves is basically photorejuvenation light therapy - pulsing orange light.

I couldn't have been more delighted with the results! My skin really loved it - all plumped and firm and glowy. Some docs do the Gentle Waves two times per week for 5 weeks for a total of 10 treatments, without the microdermabrasion (obviously some skin can't tolerate that much microdermabrasion !!!).

After the initial series, the maintenance schedule my derm recommended was a microderm followed by the GW every 6 to 8 weeks. The series of eight treatments cost my sis $550 and I would have been happy to pay that sum for a year's worth of maintenance...

But, actually, my rave isn't for the Gentle Waves series!!! Well, actually it IS, but when I was talking to my derm about how much I loved the results, she said to me - "OK look - this probably isn't in my best interest, but I'm going to clue you in to something. She proceeded to tell me about a device made by this outfit called Advanced Therapeutics. They make a professional photorejuvenation device called the Quasar. The Quasar has 24 LEDs (light emitting diodes) utilizing “four different” wavelengths in the red to infrared wavelength range. It sells for $1,650 - thousands less than a Gentle Waves unit but wayyyyyy too rich for my blood.

However, they also make something called the Baby Quasar. The Quasar is to be used once per week - the Baby Quasar is to be used twice per week according to the manufacturers instructions. However, she told me to use it every other day. IT costs $800 on their website, but can be purchased via Amazon or on eBay from the guy who owns Advanced Therapeutics for $350-$400. One year warranty and a very generous return policy.

I was extremely skeptical, but she has never steered me wrong and is one of the foremost laser / light experts in the world. I figured what the hell - for $350 it was worth a try. If it was an utter failure (which, to be honest, is what I expected), I knew I could return it for nothing more than the cost of shipping.

Well, I just can't tell you how absolutely blown away I am by this thing!!! I've only used it four times and the results are more dramatic than the entire Gentle Waves series !!! You feel NOTHING at all - not even the minor sensation that's associated with microcurrent devices like NuFace. The very first time I used it, my entire face firmed right up. I have deep set eyes - after this, it looked like I had undergone a browlift or something ! The effect of the first treatment diminished after about 24 hours, but now, after four treatments, the results seem to persist.

For people who have moisture issues or problems with pigmentation, they recommend using a hyaluronic acid serum before the treatment (or a skin lightening serum if the issue is pigmentation). I normally don't have moisture problems, but after a weekend of non stop margaritas and no sleep, I decided to try it. HOLY SH*T!!! I swear my bf did a double take when I walked out of the bathroom. The results are truly amazing.

I am just so delighted by this thing! I had been reading about NuFace, but I have a Dermal Tone and I just wasn't convinced the NuFace was all that much better - especially given its price. The Dermal Tone is a pain in the neck, cause it has to be placed just right, etc etc., but it IS effective, albeit inconvenient. With this Baby Quasar, however, I think I can retire my Dermal Tone for good !
System
Automatic Message
The above post is a review of the following product available at EDS:
Baby Quasar Red Anti-Aging Light Therapy Skin Rejuvenating System with Sequepulse
Baby Quasar Red Anti-Aging Light Therapy Skin Rejuvenating System with Sequepulse

Using technology developed by NASA for healing in space, the Baby Quasar works by stimulating blood flow and circulation and the production of collagen, thereby diminishing the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and enlarged pores. Extremely effective in firming and toning the skin.

Replaced by {{15682}}.

roadbee
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
Your enthusiasm has me hooked. I've considered products like NuFace but needed more convincing. And I remember reading about the Baby Quasar but didn't really know how it differed from the others.

How long are your daily treatments? Any potential side effects?

Many thanks!
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
Katee: I used to like you and love to read your posts but now I begin to .... you. LOL!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Thanks for the review. I was thinking of buying Nuface soon but now I think I'll look into the Baby Quasar. Almost bought one on ebay but did not know how to bid an item. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:25 am      Reply with quote
OMG! The potential for this post to send people broke is just huge... Laughing
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:43 am      Reply with quote
I'm positively salivating Laughing . If I lived in the States I would probably have bought one already this morning - the prospect of horrendous customs charges is the only thing holding me back!
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Yup, I SO did not need to read this.. I have my little Facial Flex coming that Winnie raves about, but had ben pondering over NuFace. Now there is somethng different to ponder over.

katee, how long does the treatment take to do? I read the Amazon site and you have to do 2min on each area? It must take about 30min, no?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Now I know what I want for my birthday Wednesday! Katee, you are a true enabler, first ISC then this (of course I have no willpower)!! Laughing But no pain, huh?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Okay, checking it out on Amazon but have a couple of questions please. Do the light tips have to be replaced periodically? Also, does it run by electric currant or batteries? Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I swear that I really thought about the fact that y'all would KILL me if I posted this Exclamation Laughing Exclamation

The amount of time a treatment takes really varies, depending on how you use it. The manufacturer recommends dividing your face in half and then dividing each side into three areas - a total of six areas - then going over each area first with a lower frequency light setting, then a higher for 2 minutes each (the device beeps at 2 minute intervals). Then, you can switch to the higher wave, continuous setting, and use that all over for 4 minutes, concentrating on spots that need extra help. If done that way, a complete treatment lasts about 28 minutes.

My derm's recommendation differed a bit. She knows my skin and also is knowledgeable about the device. I have resilient skin that she says is quite thick (something she says is VERY good, although I have to admit I didn't like the sound of THAT Very Happy ) AND I had just completed a Gentle Waves series. Sooooo, she told me to divide my face (from the eyes down) into two halfs and to do 4 minutes on each side with the high, continues wave frequency (the interval cycle with the continues wave gives you a beep after 4 minutes, as opposed to 2 minutes with the other 2 cycles), then do a final 4 minutes on my forehead (including between my eyes and just under my eyebrows (but not on my eyelids obviously...). Using her method, a treatment takes a total of 12 minutes. She said I could do it everyday if I wanted to, but that after a couple of weeks, she said I'd find that I could make do with every other day if I preferred. She said to keep my eyes closed when moving the device over and just under my eyebrow. The maker recommends wearing protective goggles but she said it isn't necessary. In fact, during the Gentle Waves treatments, again, the manufacturer provides goggles, but ever practitioner I know just has you keep your eyes closed. The treatment is very beneficial to the eye area and the goggles would impede that...

No side effects at all. The only contraindicators mentioned are epilepsy, pregnancy, cortison or steroid use, and cancer fighting drugs.

One thing I don't think I mentioned in my review: I had some broken caps on the sides of my nose, near my nostrils and was thinking about getting them zapped with an IPL treatment. They're gone now Razz

I haven't used the device anywhere on my body yet, but I do think I'm going to start doing my decolletage as well. They DO tell you not to pass the device directly over your thyroid gland. They said that when NASA tested the use of light therapy they thought it might have some mild effect on the thyroid. Apparently the tests, which were extensive, showed no effect, but the manufacturer said they'd still rather NOT pass the device directly over the gland. I concur completely. When it comes to things like that, I'm SUPER cautious....
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:22 am      Reply with quote
I am checking it out on EBay and almost ready to push buy, but have ONE more question (sorry Katee). Do you think the firmness is caused in any way by swelling or do you feel like your face looks puffy or swollen? When I go get my IPL's at the med/spa my face swells up like a balloon for 4-5 days and I have moderate bruising. (Finger on the checkout button!! Laughing )

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
No, definitely not swelling. In fact, I think it may have the opposite effect. It's a little hard to explain, but since I've been using it, my skin definitely looks "plumped" - my understanding is that the device leaves your skin in a state that allows for deeper penetration of whatever products you happen to using. When I did that one treatment that I mentioned, where I used a few drops of Hyaluronic Acid serum on my skin prior to treating it, the effect was VERY noticeable. With that said, though, what I've noticed is that while my skin looks "plumper" for lack of a better word, the contours of my face seem to be better defined somehow. I don't have a tendency to retain water, but I'm wondering if perhaps I WAS retaining a bit of water, and the device affected it. Whatever it is, I definitely am pleased with it....
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Oh dear. I was also just thinking that my red veins might benefit from a laser treatment Rolling Eyes . I think I know what hubby will be bringing me back from his next trip to the States Embarassed . This might be a bit more hassle for him to carry than the Remergent products I got last time though - how big / bulky / heavy is the device with the case etc?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Well that does it! Pushing the button and I'll let you know how i love it! Thanks Katee for all your help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Ahhh Annie I so hope this thing works for you. I get soooooo nervous when I rave about something and someone buys it on my recommendation Shock .

To answer fifi's question, the device comes in a small, hard plastic carrying case. It's not bulky at all and I was pleasant surprised to find that, although its a metal device, it's quite light. I suspect the professional Quasar is a little larger, although the maker does say that even it is light and portable.

With the new airport security measures that have been imposed all over the world, though, your hubby is REALLY in for it Laughing Laughing Laughing

My bf and I recently went abroad for vacation. He has a titanium screw in his elbow from an old football injury and they kept him there FOREVER. I was snickering away cause I TOLD him that was going to happen. I did NOT think it was quite as funny when I set off the metal detector. I was half naked before they figured out it was the underwire in my bra !!!
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:04 am      Reply with quote
I didn't think of that! I remember he did say he had to switch his laptop on to prove it was a working device when he went through last time, can't even begin to imagine the fun they would have with this! Scurries off to calculate potential duties involved in shipping......
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I swear I'm going broke from this forum Sad

May I can con the b/f into buying me a belated graduation gift... Razz
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Don't be nervous-I'm a big girl and if I don't see results I can always return it and it's no big deal. You didn't twist my arm, it's my own vanity that does me in every time.(But I bet I will love it, can't wait to try it!) Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I see it on Ebay for about $350 BIN and then on Amazon for about $400, this may be an investment for me next month..hopefully the return policy is still valid if buying through one of these two means?
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:53 am      Reply with quote
OMG! I really want this.

Katee: Can you use this directly under the eye area? That is the area I'd really like to get something for.

(Maybe I can justify buying it by thinking it is my early Christmas present.....)
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Yes, you can use it directly under the eye area. I've been spending a little extra time there and it has a very noticeable smoothing and tightening effect.

The sellers on eBay are actually the Advanced Therapeutics people. I inquired about the return policy before I purchased it and they said they would honor it. I don't know what the deal is on Amazon though...

On eBay, even when a return policy is stated, I ALWAYS send the seller a specific query, cause I want it in writing just in case...
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
fifi, on ebay it lists the shipping as being for 5lb, so that is about 2kg.

Yes, airport security will have a field day (especially as they wont know what it is). I remember when we went to New York and Yukon in December 2001 .. in our hand luggage we had a notebook PC, digital camera, and... FOUR (or maybe it was five...) cell phones (my DH works for a cell company and they were using him for on-the-ground testing of their global roaming Laughing ). Try explaining THAT to the security guys. Laughing

Oh, or the days when I used to bring back about 10lb of Dunkin Donuts vanilla bean coffee (ground) as my hand luggage.. aside from the beautiful odor in the cabin, the customs guys in Japan were always giving me the "is she smuggling cocaine" eye. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:45 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:

The sellers on eBay are actually the Advanced Therapeutics people. I inquired about the return policy before I purchased it and they said they would honor it. I don't know what the deal is on Amazon though...

That's great then. May just purchase it on Ebay and take your suggestion and shoot them an email asking about their return policy. Thanks!
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
WHO OUTBID ME???? Lily??? Ariesxtreme??? Tiger??? Who.............. Mad Mad Mad

What do I do with my Nulase? What do I do with my Oxylight?? What do I do with my dermaroller??? What do I do with my Time Machine (Similar to Dermal Tone)???? What do I do with my Ultra-sonic hand piece????? And I just started to use Facial Flex. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
WHO OUTBID ME???? Lily??? Ariesxtreme??? Tiger??? Who.............. Mad Mad Mad

What do I do with my Nulase? What do I do with my Oxylight?? What do I do with my dermaroller??? What do I do with my Time Machine (Similar to Dermal Tone)???? What do I do with my Ultra-sonic hand piece????? And I just started to use Facial Flex. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

OMG..I was gonna say..someone better stop bidding and driving up the price...hahahah

I say we make a pact and one of us goes in on each alone rather than 5 of us fighting for it in Ebay...LOL
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Another gadget to add to my collection, lol!!!! I really do not need another lemming, lol!! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |