Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Serious sun damage/hyperpigmentation-need help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
It's been ages since I've posted so it's nice to be back.
I have a question about products for sun damaged skin. My skin has hyperpigmentation from a Christmas trip to Central America. I used sunscreen, Anthelios 50 but when I returned home I noticed these big brown blotches on my skin (mostly my cheeks). I guess I didn't reapply ofter enough. Does anyone have a suggestion? I've been exfoliating and using Retin-A Micro, but nothing is working. These blotches are so aging and look terrible with or without makeup. I would appreciate any help/siuggestions you all have to offer. Thanks a bunch!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi Joani
Good to see you back!
Did you hear of or try Mandelic acid; one of it's long-term benefits is supposed to be dealing with hyperpigmentation and better than the other acids.
I only just started using it so I can't really vouch for it but I do think I'm seeing some extra fading, though my hyperpigmentation is very light anyhow.
Here's some bumph about it
http://www.betterhealthyskin.com/kba_mandelic_acid_3in1_punch.aspx
and here's a review of it
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15496
I also read on over onwww.skincarex.com forum (the melasma/hyperpigmentation section) that a lot of people are having success taking MSM orally.
Anyway, it's a couple of ideas to look into.
HTH Molly Smile
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly. Thanks for the reply. I did try something called MaMa lotion, which, I think, has mandelic acid, but it took forever to sink in and was sticky. I'm going to check out the sites your mentioned. Maybe there are better formulations of this acid out there.
Thanks again. I hope all is well. Best, Joani

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi joani.sp - I've come to realize (duh) that even the most effective sunscreens will not block all of the rays, even if reapplied as directed. And as we age, we're more prone to pigmentation. A few minutes in strong sun can undo months of hard work to reduce freckles and spots -- it's so demoralizing.

I really think that hats and parasols are the only other way to try to reduce exposure. But even a hat, while on a sailboat or something, won't be able to offer protection from rays reflected off water.

Another thing I've come to realize is that some of the very products we use to reduce pigmentation, especially retinoids, other acids, and manual exfoliants make us even more vulnerable when in the sun, regardless of whatever sunscreen we use. So sun avoidance is key when using these types of products. If you can't avoid, don't go overboard with them. Better to wait until winter (if you can) to use them more aggressively if you normally get less sun exposure then. It's difficult for me to avoid exposure in summer when it's so enjoyable to be outdoors. So I've backed off using acids to a great extent and will resume more frequent use in winter.

Have you ever tried MMU to help conceal? It may be worth a try if you haven't already. I'm late to the MMU bandwagon and recently purchased some Jane Iredale pressed base. It's nice -- I never liked or ended up wearing liquid foundation, but this is tolerable!!! The dense pigmentation of the powder does cover more effectively without looking unnatural.

Good luck -- I wish I could offer hope for a quick fix but I really don't believe there is one.
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
You might be having a combination of dermal or epidermal melasma.

If so, this is what I would use:
1) Take MSM as supplements. These have helped in reducing mine greatly.

2) As Molly suggested, I would use Mandelic Acid. I use the 10% variety. But its effects cannot be noticed directly. It would take several months to notice their fading.

3) If you want something more effective, some people suggest using Cosmelan 2. I think mariav who is a user here, used it and swears by it. I have not used it myself, but I was going that route had my melasma not diminished.

4) I would use a physical sunblock instead of a chemical one. My melasma got worse with Anthelios. Currently, I am using Avene 50 sunblock, and I like it pretty well. It is quite oily, but does not break me out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
rosielynt
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
TRy Obagi products
joani.sp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, thanks for your help. I guess I'm in this for the long haul. Doesn't seem to be any quick fixes except maybe pulsed light, which I'm tempted to look into.

quako: what are MSM and Cosmelan 2?Are these oral suppliments?
I'm going to check out the sunscreen you mentioned. One of the problems is that I live in Florida. I try to wear a hat everyday, but it's not always possible.

m. april: thanks for your suggestions. Nice to see a name from my past forum days!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi joani,

MSM are supplements that you take daily. They are sulfur based, and help with skin and hair overall (and some other benefits for joints, etc...) I purchase mine online. You could either do that, or get it from any local grocery store.

As for Cosmelan 2, it is a cream that you apply on your face. It is extremely expensive (close to $200.00). Many women have had luck with it in clearing their melasma. There is a lot of information about it on skincarerx forums.

I purchase the Avene sunblock from ebay.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I was just reading a thread on this issue on the skincareboard and one of the girls recommended taking calcium d-glucarate. Has anyone heard of this? I did a bit of research on it and it seems like a great supplement. Not only did it greatly help to reduce her hyperpigmentation issues (after about a month), but this is also a toxin and excess estrogen eliminator. It's often used by those at higher risk for breast cancer and apparently helps remove many other carcinogens from our body. Since no toxicity/problems have been found in taking this in supplement form, I'm going to go buy some tonight to try. Apparently calcium d-glucarate is found naturally in fruits and veggies, but the supplement is supposed to really give your body a toxin eliminating boost. It also helps regulate thyroid activity as well.

Does anyone else take this?
tina7006
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone. I've been using Obagi for dark spots from sun damage and it's been helping as well.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |