Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
A different lip balm recipe....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
The general "rule of thumb" behind most lip balm recipes is 1/3 waxes, 1/3 oils and 1/3 butters, but I wanted one with more emollient and with some sun protection. This is a really lovely recipe. Feels great and lasts quite a long time:

25% waxes
CANDELILLA
SOY

41.6% butters
SHEA
COCOA BUTTER

33.3% oils
VIRGIN COCONUT
CRISCO

4 drops VIT E
1/2 teas TITANIUM DIOXIDE (for the spf)
flavoring if you so choose (to taste)

I'm very happy with it as is, but I'm sure I'll continue to play around with it by experimenting with an active or 2 and or varying the oils and butters.

Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Sounds great. Thanks for sharing Katee.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
ymw Wink
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:26 am      Reply with quote
What does ynw mean?

I'm excited about this lipbalm and will try my hand at it this w/e. So far, I don't have soy wax but am going to just cut a piece from a candle!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Laughing....

YMW = You're most welcome!
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Katee, for sharing your lip balm recipe. I have a rather silly question, but I don't know what is the best way to melt the wax? Do you stir it in a pot over the stove, or do you do it in the microwave? If stovetop, does it go over low, or medium heat? Thank you.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2007 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Thanks, Katee, for sharing your lip balm recipe. I have a rather silly question, but I don't know what is the best way to melt the wax? Do you stir it in a pot over the stove, or do you do it in the microwave? If stovetop, does it go over low, or medium heat? Thank you.

It's actually a cauldron and it has to be on a night with a full moon... Laughing I'm sorry, it's 25C here today and I've got spring fever! I just couldn't help it...
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing

bkkgirl, put it in a glass bowl. Put the glass bowl over a pot containing some hot water which is gently simmering - the water shouldn't touch the bowl. It's the bain-marie principle in cooking.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Laughing

bkkgirl, put it in a glass bowl. Put the glass bowl over a pot containing some hot water which is gently simmering - the water shouldn't touch the bowl. It's the bain-marie principle in cooking.

Thanks, Agent OO-Cat! I bought the Candellia Wax from GOW and it's been sitting on my dresser for a while because I wasn't quite sure how to melt it without messing it all up. Appreciate your help. Very Happy
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
don't know if there is anything on a diy lip balm w sunscreen that has come up more recently than this thread but it is what came up when I searched(which is unreliable I know).
I might use this as a guideline but I would like a lipbalm with very little or no wax in it. I just want to try to stick to that after doing the L2K system and Candice saying no wax. If anyone has any recipes on a good lip balm spf that is healthy and without wax would be great to know it.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
just thinking, as I am short of time, would it be alright to just add some spf ie eg micronised zinc to your existing lipbalm?
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I personally don't see why you couldn't just increase the amount of shea or cocoa butter in place of the wax, although my preference might be cocoa since it is such a hard butter.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Another option is Palm Kernel Oil, it's so hard it's actually brittle at normal room temperature.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestions! With the cocoa butter, would you just use the same stuff you use for food recipes? I have some raw cocoa butter for this and it is absolutely hard! Guess you would have to warm it so it would glide on.
I might try cocoa butter first as it is more difficult to get ethically sourced palm kernel oil.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
TTD here is an ethical source just thought if anyone wants some it's great for lip gloss. Smile

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/palm_kernel_oil.php

Organic Palm Kernel Oil Profile
Botanical Name- Elaeis guineensis
Origin- Brazil
Extraction- Expeller Pressed/Refined
Shelf life- 18 months
Kosher Certified- No
Notes- Will melt at 80-82 degrees and turn to liquid. This particular oil is refined through organic methods involving mechanical pressing. Recommended for cosmetic and soapmaking use only.
Mountain Rose Herbs will only support Palm Fruit oil programs which adhere to strict environmental sustainability programs. As is our standard, the harvester and manufacturer of the Palm Fruit oil we offer adheres to highly detailed sustainable harvesting protocols with oversight from state and third party environmental programs including EcoSocial, and with the assistance of the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:03 am      Reply with quote
TTD wrote:
thanks for the suggestions! With the cocoa butter, would you just use the same stuff you use for food recipes? I have some raw cocoa butter for this and it is absolutely hard! Guess you would have to warm it so it would glide on.
I might try cocoa butter first as it is more difficult to get ethically sourced palm kernel oil.

I think that would be fine, TTD. Just be sure to warm it gently, because otherwise it can have a grainy texture.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |