Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Strep throat, natural remedy ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I am not a kid, but I still get strep throat every time the weather changes rapidly, I know all doctors will treat it with 10 day antibiotic, but does anyone know of a natural way to do it, any home remedy that works ??

HELP and thanks in advance,
D Crying or Very sad

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Strep is a bacterial infection, and I don't think that there is any way to naturally cure yourself. Antibiotics are usually suggested, along with warm, salt-water gargling. I used to ... put a frozen popsicle to the back of my throat, to try to bring down the swelling. Try that without gaggling! 7-Eleven Slurpees are good for the pain too. Down a couple of ibuprofen with a Slurpee. It helps.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Let me post a disclaimer: I am NOT a doctor, or anywhere near that. Strep throat can be extremely dangerous and it can progress into (I think) scarlet fever if untreated. Anything I say beyond here should be taken with half a grain of salt. Smile

Okay, having said that I hate doctors and avoid them like the plague. While once you HAVE strep, you probably do need antibiotics, why not try some preventative steps? I (try to) take vitamin C every day, and I up the dosage when I feel like I'm on the verge of getting sick. I also use it to treat colds and flus and I recover much more quickly than I used to. Eating lots of raw garlic is also good, if you mush it up a lot it'll probably disinfect your throat nice and good! I also make sure I get all of my vitamins and minerals daily by eating lots of fruits and veggies, and by additionally consuming freshly made vegetable juice.

Gee, this sounds more like a lifestyle change now that I think of it -- but taking some vitamin C every day really helps ward off winter illnesses!

And if you DO attempt a natural remedy for strep throat, make sure you visit your doctor regularly to get a throat culture to see if you are making any progress. Strep is not one of those things you want to let go on.
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Little correction:
Strep throat if not treated can lead to rheumatic heart disease ( inflammation of heart muscle that also affects valves), glomerulonephritis ( inflammation of kidneys), and it can also cause abscess formation.
This is basically why it is very important to take antibiotics with strep throat.
I do not know if there is anything else except antibiotics that can treat strep throat. Antibiotics kill bacteria and prevent our immune system from reacting in abnormal way ( that can lead to rheumatic heart disease and glomerulonephritis)
Reccurency may be due to poor compliance with antibiotic regimen or presense of streptococcal strains resistant to penicillin or exposure to family members who are carriers.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the correction, kpka -- I knew it would turn into something scary if left untreated!

I used to get strep throat constantly, sometimes several times per year (as well as tonsilitis, ear infections, bronchitis). While I did treat strep throat with antibiotics every time, I found the best thing I ever did was to take preventative measures. I gradually changed my lifestyle and eating habits and made them a lot healthier, and I feel much better. I haven't had any of the above listed aiments in years! So eat your veggies! Wink
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
I don't get strep but my tonsils used to get infected almost once a year. Now if I feel the slightest twinge of a sore throat I take a couple of swallows of apple cider vinegar and that seems to work.
Liz
k.a.t.
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I am one of those who did not know I had strep throat until it progressed into scarlet fever. Not fun. Crying or Very sad

Please bear in mind, a person carrying the strep bacteria who avoids antibiotic treament may be contagious for 2 to 3 weeks (although symptoms of strep throat may clear up before then).

Check out this web site. It contains a lot of information including when to call a doctor and at-home treatments.
http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw54747.asp

I wish you a speedy recovery!
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all your help, I finally had to go to the emergency room last nite, and taking my antibiotics, feeling MUCH better already. Doctor told me I don't have a strep throat, but my tonsils are swollen and had a hard time breathing. No matter how much I hate to see doctors, sometimes, it's necessary.....

D Crying or Very sad

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:32 am      Reply with quote
Hello! I am a new member who was just on the internet browsing for info on strep throat and happened to find this forum. I have strep now and my daughters (all 3) have just gotten over it. I kept thinking that it is viral so I didn't take anything for it and yes, it has stayed with me. I didn't know what my kids had until I got it and my friend told me that it was strep. Thankfully, I had been treating my girls(naturally)for a bacterial infection. I give them and now take colloidal silver. It is so awesome! It is basically a natural antibiotic. I had used it for a UTI and an abcessed tooth and it worked within 2 days on each without the harmful effects of modern antibiotics. What you may not know is that these drugs (antibiotics) are not good for us. They not only kill the bad bacteria but the good as well. If you insist on taking them I strongly encourage that once you are done with your prescription that you take something to put the good back in. You can take probiotics to do this. Hope this helps! Take care! Very Happy
MysticGraces
5% products discount

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:27 am      Reply with quote
There isnt a natural way to treat strep,its a very tough bacterial infection that requires strong antibiotics

I got rhuematic fever from it and THANK GOD I never got the heart problems associated with it..

If you want to prevent further illness I would suggest a garlic supplement...2 tablets daily during the winter

Also what may feel like strep could be an infection in your windpipe...this can cause extreme burning pain and trouble breathing as the windpipe swells with irritation...it also is serious and needs to be treated promptly
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I like to treat things naturally but strep throat is not one of them. I agree with those who say use supplements and eat well to prevent it but once the step bacteria takes over, with the complications and contagious period k.a.t. pointed out, it is important to have it treated with antibiotics.

I has strep throat that turned into an ear infection this time last year and took the full 10 day course of antibiotics faithfully and still didn't feel fully recovered for a few weeks. It really hit home with me how serious of an infection it is.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Strep is a serious bacterial infection. My son was hospitalized when he was 4 for it (even though he was on antibiotics). They needed to change his antibiotic and administer IV. It was so scary. The only way to treat a serious bacterial infection is with an antibiotic. Thank God we have them.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |