Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
::Review:: MD FORMULATIONS Illuminating Serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I rarely write reviews these days after just using a single sample of a product but I liked this so much that I just placed an order for it. I was going to wait with any post about it till I actually used more of it but seeing as I've been going through a "quiet period" of sample trying (not much has impressed me lately, apart from the Thalgo eye cream (review pending)) I decided that me liking this so much was actually something quite major to me at the moment seeing as I haven't been this decisive in buying anything skincare related for a while Smile

According to the product blurb, this serum has 15% AHA, Retinyl-pure Vitamin A, time-released Vitamin C and natural grape extract. I like the sound of all of those, with the exception of the vitamin C perhaps which sounds a bit iffy (I'll still keep using a dedicated C serum thanks!). I have been wanting to try this serum for a long time though - ever since I read some reviews on MUA and also on the Aussie vogue forum. I've had a sample of this for ages but only recently decided to crack it open after a rather uninspired search through my samples for something new (you know that feeling when you look at your skincare regime and feel bored with it even though the products are good? I was there!).

Obviously, I think this is great stuff - otherwise I wouldn't have just bought it. My skin is in pretty good shape at the moment but I must admit that I have been a bit lazy on the exfoliation and masking front Embarassed I've only occasionally used the PCA Gentle Exfoliant and some Eminence Organics masks and that's about it really.... I saw a difference after using the Illuminating Serum for about a week (at night only). I had some minor brown marks after squeezing out stuff I shouldn't have been squeezing and I just noticed that they're gone. I also get the impression that my skin looks more refined and less dull. I can't quite decide if my pores are smaller (don't have a problem with large pores to begine with) - I think they are, I guess time will tell.... I'm also quite impressed that this hasn't dried out my skin - I've made the effort to use a bit more moisturiser at night because of the 15% AHA but apart from that my skin has been the same in terms of moisture.

Texture wise the product is nothing special - like other MD Formulations products, this is pretty much unscented, and will come in standard MDF packaging (with a pump I hope). It's also more like a light cream almost, rather than a runny serum (oh, and it's yellow, just thought I'd add that in case anyone is wondering Laughing). While I prefer my products either natural, or nicely scented and packaged (yes, I'm a sucker for that!) I have had experience with other MD Formulations products and have respect for this brand because the products that I have tried so far have been very effective (despite being somewhat bland IMO).

I shall update this and write a more comprehensive review when the full size arrives and I get a chance to use it for a while.

So, has anyone tried this, used this long term? Did you like it, dislike it? I should have asked this befre I bought it I suppose, but you know how it is.... Smile
Any opinions would be much appreciated.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I haven't used the Illuminating Serum, but I just got the Illuminating Masque and am really liking it. At the moment it's my favorite mask.

Although this mask feels very soothing and pampering (has lavender in it)while on your face, it does have AHA's, Retinol, Grape Seed extract and Vit C like the serum so there's definitely some action going on. The serum has 15% glycolic with a pH of 4, and the mask has 5% glycolic with a pH of 4.

The reason I chose the mask over the serum is because I use rx retinoids most nights and you're really not supposed to use anything other than cleanser and toner near the same time. So I like to use a less potent masking treatment such as this for mid-week and weekend pampering.

-Cheri
Mabsy

Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Cheri - sounds like the mask is another very good one to try. I haven't used any vitamin A products (apart from what's in the Neutrogena Healthy Skin stuff I guess) so perhaps that's what made a difference.... I don't know - all I know is that I like it Smile I won't be getting it for a couple of weeks though because one of the other products I ordered in on back-order @EDS. I guess I'll see how my skin looks in between given that I used up the whole sample.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Please post back on your results after using the MD Forumlations Illuminating serum for a time. I know you have used and liked (as I have) CellularSkinRx Age-Limit Advanced Refinishing Serum before so hopefully you'll be able to tell me which is best.

-Cheri
Mabsy

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:05 am      Reply with quote
Might take me a while Cheri but I will definitely follow up on this. I still have the CSRx Refinishing Serum and still like it Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Glad you're liking it, Mabsy!!!

I love it as well and use it on a regular basis; it's a great product, indeed! Very Happy

Cheers!
//Helene

Edited to say that YES; it comes with a pump!! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
I tried quite hard to like this, went through great lengths to get some samples after reading vogue raves Laughing

It's more like a yellow cream i thought, the scent wasn't exactly nice.. Sad it just didn't do much for my skin (i might be imagining this, but my skin looked rather blotchy while using this). The other products from vit-A line were a bit of dissapointment as well, such as the eyecream (really drying, although it can clear any milia super fast).

Was tempted to try the night recovery complex (seems even better reviews than the illuminating serum), but all the ingredients looked much the same to me so i never got around to it..

That sort of ended my MD formulations trial (along with the glycolic cleanser...) Crying or Very sad
i wish they'd work though
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:01 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy,
After reading your rave review of this product, I asked for samples with my latest order. I just received them today and probabaly will start using them tomorrow. I have some really stubborn acne discoloration that wouldn't go away. I have two questions about this product. Do you use it on your whole face or just spot treat? Do you use it in the morning or night or both?
Thanks Pray

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:24 am      Reply with quote
sparkle wrote:
It's more like a yellow cream i thought, the scent wasn't exactly nice.. Sad it just didn't do much for my skin (i might be imagining this, but my skin looked rather blotchy while using this). The other products from vit-A line were a bit of dissapointment as well, such as the eyecream (really drying, although it can clear any milia super fast).

I am yet to try an MDF product that smells nice to be honest Smile I have found MDF products to be "no nonsense" products that aren't dressed up or made to look/smell nice but they work (at least they do for me). I can happily say that I've had good results with their Vit-a-Plus stuff although I would not be using the eye cream on a daily basis (too drying for me) - I only use the eye cream to spot treat millia on the rare occasions they come up, it's fantastic for that purpose as you mentioned Smile

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
Mabsy,
After reading your rave review of this product, I asked for samples with my latest order. I just received them today and probabaly will start using them tomorrow. I have some really stubborn acne discoloration that wouldn't go away. I have two questions about this product. Do you use it on your whole face or just spot treat? Do you use it in the morning or night or both?
Thanks Pray

I've used this at night only as I tend to mainly use AHA products at night. Also, I used this all over my face (avoiding eye area) but if you have samples and need this for pigmentation/acne marks then I guess it would make sense to try it on a smaller area and use it for longer to see if you get some results before you actually buy it.

Please update once you use up your samples and let us know whether you liked it or not and if it did anything for the acne marks. TIA Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm....I have been using this for about a week. I can't make up my mind about this product. I applied it on my acne marks and brown spots. It did make two newer acne marks lighter and smaller. But, it doesn't seem to have an effect on older marks. I have a patch of brown spots on one side of my cheek and I think it did make it look slightly lighter. However, I am also using Skinceutical Retinol 0.5 and Vitamin-C.

That being said, this serum will last a long time. Only a small amount is needed so I guess that justify the price somewhat. I know most AHA products feel kind of sticky on the skin but I am just not a big fan of stickiness. Maybe I will try the mask next when I can get a sample.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:39 am      Reply with quote
with illumnating serum I use for 5 years now, I even introduce to my friends and my family, my mum loves it, some of my friends they think its too sticky, but They all love the result, the skin become brighter and really help the uneven tone. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
I went through a couple of bottles of this a few years back and while I liked what it did for my skin I couldn’t stand the “sticky” factor either so stopped using it. I’ve also not been happy with MDF packaging on several of their products, ie the pump not working. Nonetheless, I’m considering giving the illuminating serum another try shortly as I’ve got a couple of areas of slight pigmentation that I want gone ... I just hope they’ve got the pump problem sorted now.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |