Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Obagi Nu-Derm Clear/4% hydroquinone Question - I need help!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm fair skinned person, with light green eyes dark auburn hair. Prone to hyper pigments I believe with my colouring. I have brown spots from acne and brown blotches which pregnancy worsened a great deal. I would like to even my skin tone out, not lighten it so much, if I could tan or use a sunless tanner without turning blotchy, I would. I love that bronzed look, but now I stick to bronzers, no more sun or sunless tanners for me!

I used a kojic product a few years back, with vit c. It did lighten eventually, after two months I saw results. FOUR days of using Obagi Nu-Derm Clear I’ve had better results. Along with some brightening I’ve also had a reduction in the blackness of the blackheads on my nose, my skin is plumper, more refined. I really like this stuff so far. I’m a tad pink but it hasn’t even been a week yet and this is to be expected from what I’ve read.

I’ve read all the negative things posted about hydroquinone on this forum and now I’m a tad scared of the product. My question is, has anyone used it (Obagi or other 4% hydroquinone product), with success????? I don’t want to have to use it forever, I would like to switch to a vit c product for maintenance, if that’s possible. I’ve read that hydroquinone can help but once you stop using it, the dark spots can come back far worse than before. Has any had this, or not had this, happen?

Also, will EDS let me return it if I chose not to use it? I really like the sound of Decleor and or Dr H. I've read the new vit c thread and am feeling like that might be a better route but also don't want to throw in the towel with Clear just yet. Thanks, Annette
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.skinlightening.com/

Here's the Kojic lightener I used in the past, it was waxy I found, but others might like it. It's a local (British Columbia) company.

I also want to add that it isn't my intention to spark controversy. I think dark skin is the most beautiful and I love my freckled (not blotchy) body. However, I don't believe someone wanting to fade dark blotches on their skin is at all reprehensible. No different than trying to get rid of wrinkles, IMO.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lolli,
I am tempted to try the obagi system myself. Although I have found that vit c has evened up my skin really well and it does not have any scarey ingredients in. Honest we don't think it is a bad thinG to want to lighten skin to a nice even tone it is just that there are so many nasty products out there and people taking advantage of other peoples insecurities.
I think black skin is beautiful. I think it is human nature not to be happy with what we have been given. We should all learn to love ourselves as we are a little bit more. Meanwhile I am still trying to banish my lines and wrinkles.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the Obagi for about a year now. It was prescribed by my Dermatologist, as I began having acne, enlarged pores, blackheads etc...ALL This after never having any skin problems on this end of the spectrum - (I've had eczema my whole life and always used dry skin products) Along with that on the right side of my face, below my right cheek bone down to my jawline I had 15 - 20 brown spots which were a result of a 6 mo. Lupron treatment. (a hormone treatment for endometriosis) I wasn't even aware there was anything I could do about them.

I was a little hesitant at first to start when they told me about the beginning phases. I hated the beginning, but not as bad as I hated the acne! -

Now, I can't imagine not using it....I am 37 and look better than I did at 27. I have a 17 year old son and people have actually thought I was his girlfriend - NO LIE!!! (Not just on one occasion either) I've definitely tried other things (trying to save $ or thinking my skin was fine), but never again - every time I have tried something new - I regret it - my skin starts getting yuck again, then I have to start from scratch.

My skin cleared up, pores got smaller, spots are gone - The STUFF works!!!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I think Lolli's concern is the 4% hydroquinone. Any comments on that ingredient? Or did you guys use one without hydroquinone?
justjoan867

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry....I wasn't more specific. Okay Here goes.....I use the complete OBAGI NU DERM System which is:

Obagi Nu-Derm Foaming Gel (200 ml / 6.7 oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Toner (200 ml / 6.7 oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Clear 4% Hydroquinone (60g / 2oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Blender 4% Hydroquinone (60 g / 2 oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm Forte (60g / 2oz.)
Obagi Sunfader (60g / 2oz.)

I mix the Blender equally with Retin A (together the amount is about the size of a pea)
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, guys. Smile I have to say, I've never had a product work like this one has, although I feel really silly saying that as it's been such a short period of time.

Lori, are you not satisfied with the vit c? I'm so glad that it's working for you. Do you have lot of spots or did you just want to refine your tone?

Lianne is right, I do have concerns about the hydroquinone, long term.

justjoan867, that is so cool! You must feel great! Smile Does the thought of *having* to use this one product, long term, bother you at all? Also, what exactly are you using in the system with Clear? If I continue with it, I will be ordering the cleanser and moisturizer as well. No hydroquinone in those, I don't think so any way.

I forgot to add, it has helped with my acne as well. The first day I used it I had a doozy starting up on my hairline, a cyst like I hadn't had in a long time, big and painful. After 4 days using Clear, it's gone, completely. Previously, I would still be in pain and hoping for it to just come to a head so I could get rid of it, if you know what I mean. It is gone and I'm thrilled!! Smile But still scared of the hydroquinone. Sad What a dilemma!!
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Joan! I posted my response to you before you listed your products. Annette
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Obagi for a year and could never rave enough about it. Like Joan I am 38 and honestly my skin looks better than when I was 28. I have had several light cosmetic procedures done and none of them gave me the results Obagi has.

Sherri
justjoan867

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Annette,

Sorry for the delay... Dinner, cleaning kitchen etc. What are your long term concerns? I haven't read or heard anything.

It doesn't bother me at all to use one product for so long, as the saying goes...if it isn't broken, don't fix it. As long as it continues to work like this, I will continue to use it.

I am so glad your bump went away that quickly...I used to get those all the time. It was so miserable. You are going to love the results!
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:44 am      Reply with quote
Well, I've read that if you want to stop using it, your skin could actually get worse spots than before using hydroquinone. I really don't want to use long term but maybe it's not that bad. Confused I would though, hate to use it and for some reason want to stop and not be able too because it may result in bad, bad spots or blotches. I'm most likely worrying about something that won't happen! Thank you so much for telling about your great experience, I certainly feel better using it knowing it gives great results. Annette
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Lolli
I do like the result from the vitamin C. My skin tone is much better. I find it hard to explain what I am trying to cure. I guess I should say I am a strawberry blonde and have paleish skin but I do tan (did tan). Years of smoking and tanning has left my face uneven skin tone more red here and there. I also have a few freckles which don't bother me. The C has helped and I have had some nice comments about how nice my skin looks but its not enough. I want it even better. LOL. The obagi sounds good but I dont know if I can get retin A which is prescription only, I think. So would the system work for me without it. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lori,
The retin a is one of the most important aspects of Obagi. Your family dr should prescribe it for you no problem.

Sherri
woodstock

Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:37 am      Reply with quote
HELP!!!! I am just starting my research on removing these (what I feel) UGLY....U.G.L.Y. freckles from my face that I have had almost my entire life. Obviously have gotten worse because I LOVE the sun. Has anyone used the Obagi system to remove freckles? I have way too much information in my brain on photo rejuvenation, laser resurfacing, obagi, etc. and have no idea which avenue to take. Also, does obagi help in the fine wrinkles on the face?
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Is it necessary to use Retin A with Nu-Derm? I understood that Clear was to be used without Retin A and the blender was used with it?

I know virtually nothing about the product, didn't learn about Obagi from a derm, spa or gp, I asked an esthetisican friend what she recommended, she said 4% hydroquinone so I started looking for a product, read the reviews at MUA and others. It sounded good for acne prone skin so I ordered it.

Lori, that's great vit c has helped! From my past experience with it, I didn't find it useful. What I was using probably wasn't the best I could get, I know that now. It always turned dark in the bottle after a couple weeks. Annette
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Obagi has two systems one is the NuDerm and the other is the new C system(sorry not sure of the exact name).

I was prescribed the NuDerm system without the clear or tolereen. Basically I just used the cleanser, toner, exfoderm, blender mixed with Retin A and the Vitamin C serum 20%.

It was prescribed for me to help get rid of acne scarring and sun damage from having baked my face at one time. I am not really sure what the clear and tolereen are used for as it wasn't needed in my case.

Hope that helps to answer your question it sounds like you were a bit confused.
Sherri
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Hope that helps to answer your question it sounds like you were a bit confused.
Sherri

You nailed it Sherri, I'm confused and afraid of the hydroquinone. Do the Obagi products minus Clear give you good results? I'm sold on this brand, it really works. I may not even need the hydroquinone. I live remotely with no dermatologist near, it would be a major trip to see one.

Is the vit c serum Obagi brand and if not, which one were you happy with? Thanks! Smile I only see the NuDerm line at EDS.

I think I'll email the spa and see what they have to say.

Thank you everyone, the replies and info are so great!! Smile Annette
Allicsirp
5% products discount

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
justjoan867 wrote:
Sorry....I wasn't more specific. Okay Here goes.....I use the complete OBAGI NU DERM System which is:

Obagi Nu-Derm Foaming Gel (200 ml / 6.7 oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Toner (200 ml / 6.7 oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Clear 4% Hydroquinone (60g / 2oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Blender 4% Hydroquinone (60 g / 2 oz.)
Obagi Nu-Derm Exfoderm Forte (60g / 2oz.)
Obagi Sunfader (60g / 2oz.)

I mix the Blender equally with Retin A (together the amount is about the size of a pea)

Joan,

You and I are on the exact same regimine with the Obagi NuDerm products. I am 47 and haven't had any cosmetic procedures done yet. I did have botox once and will probably do it again once I notice it wearing off, but no surgeries yet. I love this product and my skin has never looked so good. I saw an ENT the other day who is also a cosmetic surgeon. I was seeing him for some sinus problems I was having, but he seemed more interested in my skin, saying that for my age, it really was great skin. He was cute, I blushed and my husband rolled his eyes! I had my granddaughter with me that day and so I needed my husband there to watch her while I saw the doctor. Anyway, the doctor didn't ask what I use, although I know he has got to be familiar with the Obagi products since he is also a cosmetic surgeon. But I know without a doubt, if he would have seen me a couple of months before that visit, he would have been recommending something for my sun damage and fine lines! I owe it all to Obagi. And maybe a little to the new foundation powders that I use, but that's another topic.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:28 am      Reply with quote
I have a question for all of you Obagi users. If I have pretty sensitive skin with blood vessels very close to the surface around the eye and the cheek area would this still be a good program for me?
justjoan867

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Allicsirp,
What type of Foundation are you wearing? I am still trying to find the "perfect", natural looking foundation. Also, What type of Eye Cream do you Use?

Lolli,
Sherriincanada, isn't using the clear, However she is using the blender which has 4% Hydroquinone just as the clear - on my earlier post, it list this beside the products I used.
RE: the dark spots coming back...I believe they will regardless of the product you STOP using. (make sense?) The reason I say this is...You can spend Hundreds of dollars for a photo-facial (laser) to remove the spots (which leaves you with down time) and they will still return after a certain time, unless you keep having the photo-facials done.

I am still confused as to why you are scared to use the 4% Hydroquinone. Products on the market also have bleaching ingredients in them, they just aren't as effective. Also, re: the RETIN A - I haven't always used this in conjuction. In the beginging my DR gave me free samples, when they ran out I couldn't bear spending the $ to get the rx filled, so for quite some time I used only the OBAGI and still had GREAT results. You also noted that you had great results. Now that I have the RX, I only use the Retin A and Blender 2 -3 times a week.

I felt ecstatic when I found this site, as OBAGI is a Physcian Grade Line and the Clear alone cost me $74 at my Dermatologist Office. Everyone (females) at my Dr's office uses the line & swears by it (although they don't have to their skin says it all) i.e. My first visit with my cystic acne, brown-spotted and spider vein face (first of all one of THE most embarrassing moments of my life - when I had to go with NO MAKEUP) I asked office Administrator what type of foundation she used as it looked so natural....She replied, "I don't wear foundation" (she's almost 50)...That was all I needed to hear, I was sold!
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Annette haven't been on so am a bit slow responding here . I didnt use the clear but did use the blender which also has the hydroquinone in it. I had amazing results using obagi without both the clear and tolereen.

In Canada Obagi vit C is sold under the vivier name. You can buy it here at EDS which is where mine comes from. There are lots of diff vit c serums out there. I tried a couple but my personal choice been the Vivier 20%.

Feel free to pm me anytime if I can help you. Obagi has honestly been the only product that has given me results and I swear by it.

Sherri
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my questions, I really appreciate it, everyone.

Hi Joan, you are right, I misread Sherri's post, she is using the blender. As to why I was afraid to use it, in this forum there seems to be a number of posters who have negative attitudes about using bleachers and/or hydroquinone, there is proof that hydroquinone is not safe because there are cases where people have had adverse reactions and results, like darker spots than before at the slightest bit of sun even with sunscreen and even major skin damage. It’s these two threads here that scared me the most.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=878
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=3524

Since starting this thread, I've searched and found a lot of evidence that hydroquinone is in fact safe in 4% or less solutions! I could post many times more urls than posted in the other threads about the negative effects. I do feel that this product wouldn't be so readily available or used so often if it were dangerous, you know? And it also seems to me that the serious adverse reactions occur in higher (5-25% solutions). Many chemicals in high percentages are dangerous but diluted they are quite safe and can be used on the skin. Hydrogen peroxide comes to mind, in high concentrations it's highly dangerous, diluted it's useful. I am feeling way better about using my Obagi Clear now and will continue on, enjoying the benefits all the way! Smile Annette
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Sherri! You must have posted before I hit submit. Smile That is great info! I will look into that vit c product. In my short amount of time using Obagi, I'm totally sold too. Annette
Allicsirp
5% products discount

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
justjoan867 wrote:
Allicsirp,
What type of Foundation are you wearing? I am still trying to find the "perfect", natural looking foundation. Also, What type of Eye Cream do you Use?

Hi justjoan,

I use the BE Mineral along with the loose Coty powder that you can buy at WalMart. I love the BE, but like so many others here on the board, I thought my pores looked huge, but that was the only thing that bothered me about it. I felt that the coverage was good and gave me a glow, but the pore thing just really bothered me. In fact, my pores didn't look that big without makeup. Anyway, I lost my luggage on a weekend trip and had to go to WalMart for all new makeup. I picked up the Coty powder due to it's price and had no idea I'd get the results that I had been looking for. It was a little too light, but once my luggage was found, I started mixing the two. The real trick is using the proper tools to apply the powders. I purchased all my makeup brushes from the BE line and I really like them. I lightly dip my foundation brush into the BE, tap, and then pick up a little of the Coty afterwards and apply all over my face except under my eyes. After I apply my blush and my lip liner, I apply the BE Mineral Veil. That just kind of blends and sets things nice and soft. This method for me is more coverage than I have ever gotten from a liquid base foundation and surprisingly, takes much less time than the way I used to apply liquid foundation, having to make sure no obvious lines were caking up and making sure it was all dry before applying a powder to set it.

My eye cream is also Obagi. I love it. I apply that by lightly tapping it on with my finger, then use my concealer brush to blend my liquid concealer (I think I am using a Maybelline concealer right now). I did purchase the Bisque concealing powder from BE, but I think it accentuates the fine lines under my eyes. However, I like it for redness and other imperfections. Also, for the last week, I've been applying Freeze 24/7 IceCream Moisturizer and I let that absorb for about two minutes before applying my foundation. I do start and finish my days off every day with my Obagi products. I know my process sounds long and drawn out, but I can honestly do my make-up in about 20 minutes since I've gotten the liquid foundation out of my life. I am much happier with the look.
dubi
5% products discount

Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to try the obagi clear (the one that's not a blender) 4% hydr on my body ( back of legs and inner thighs ) due to pigmentation problems. I have been using acne product with BP, MDF glycolic body scrub and the vit-a hand and body lotion. The area has cleared up quite well, but I would like to give it an extra boost. As it's an area that doesn't really get much sun exposure at all 'm not too worried about sun exposure or the area getting pigmentation problems again. was wondering if it would be safe to use the clear and not the blender. Would I need to stop using the MDF glycolic products ? or just alternate the days I use them ? Anyone else used obagi clear on their body ?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |