Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Recipe for hyaluronic acid serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Ebony001

Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone makes their own or has a recipe for a hyaluronic acid serum. I have made the vitamin c serum mentioned on this forum and have had great success so am thinking about trying to make other serums.

So any thoughts or experience about what amount of hyaluronic acid to use, if propolene glycol can be used as a carrier like in the vitamin c serum, any other ingredients and amounts of ingredients used would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:07 am      Reply with quote
According to Skinactives, 1gm of hyaluronic acid powder can be added to 4oz of any cream, lotion or SKB. I was going to just add it to 4oz of distilled water because I also just want to make a serum. If anyone has any better ideas, please let us know.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
According to Skinactives, 1gm of hyaluronic acid powder can be added to 4oz of any cream, lotion or SKB. I was going to just add it to 4oz of distilled water because I also just want to make a serum. If anyone has any better ideas, please let us know.

Keliu, if you do half and half with water and SKB, it will keep better and be a nicer consistency.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy, that's what I'll do.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:33 am      Reply with quote
what is SKB? Rolling Eyes
Toby
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:01 am      Reply with quote
SKB is Sea Kelp Bioferment.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I have a question - I've tried to make 1g of HA powder with 2oz of water... thinking that HA will thicken the serum. however, the serum turned out as watery as plain water!! Embarassed

what did i do wrong?! how can I make the serum a bit thicker in texture? (like the cellex-c, or PSF)

Many thanks!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 am      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
I have a question - I've tried to make 1g of HA powder with 2oz of water... thinking that HA will thicken the serum. however, the serum turned out as watery as plain water!! Embarassed

what did i do wrong?! how can I make the serum a bit thicker in texture? (like the cellex-c, or PSF)

Many thanks!!

I haven't made mine yet, I thought it would turn out thick too. I suggest you emailwww.skinactives.com and ask them. I've always found them to be very helpful and they reply straight away.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Just throwing this out there for you, but I find personally, that the I make the best use of HA when I add it to something else..

EXAMPLE:

1 TBS HA (I have the liquid)
1 TBS SKB
2 TBS distilled water

You can also add a little to any serum or cream you have on hand. Just make sure the main ingredient is 'water'..

I always make sure I have plenty of water in with it, because HA holds 1000 times it's weight in water, and will pull it from your cells, if it's not readily available elsewhere.. (This is the reason some people find it drying!!)

HTH

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
many thx, Kassy!
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I hope that you don't mind me butting in to this discussion, but I have gotten a few PM's asking me to reply to this thread. Usng the rcipe you have here, your serum should be very thick & almost unspreadable! I don't understand why it would be so watery. If you are using 1g of sodium hyaluronate powder, you should use 99g of water. That is a little over 3 ounces of water. What did you mix this in? It needs to sit overnight for a couple of days to fully hydrate the HA & needs to be stirred. The HA might be settled in a lump at the bottom. Also, there is some confusion here about HA sucking the water out of your skin cells. This would never happen. That is not how HA works, It is a film former that creates a gas permeable visco-elastic film that inhibits water evaporation from the skin. Because of it's large molecular weight, it does not penetrate past the stratum corneum, so it cannot rob cells of water. It also has a different tonicity from a skin cell, so again, this cannot happen. I think the reason that some people may feel dry after using just an HA Serum is because there is a difference between skin that is dehydrated & skin that is dry. Skin that is dehydrated lacks water mositure & skin that is dry lacks lipid emollience. If your skin is dry, HA will help to hydrate by reducing transdermal water loss, but you still need to apply a lipid-based moisturizer. I hope that makes sense. Smile
Warm regards,
Darren
Pure Skin Formulations, LLC

daydreamingda wrote:

Many thanks!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Darren, I am more than delighted to have you answering my question!!!!

to be precise, I mixed 0.5 tsp (equal to 1g?) of sodium hyaluronate with 2oz (or 60ml or 4 tbsp) of water. I aprinkle the NaH and let it sit for a 15-20mins and shaked vigoriously as instructed (from bulkactives.com, where i purchased my NaH.

http://www.bulkactives.com/formulations/hagel.htm

even after 1-2 weeks, it's still as watery as ever!!! could what went wrong?! and how could I test if the Nah (powder) is working??!

many thx!!!
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
I never deal in teaspoons, but I am pretty sure that 1/2 teaspoon would be nowhere near a gram. HA powder is very light. 0.5 teaspoon would probably weigh something like a 10th of a gram. (I'm estimating here.) I would just add more HA powder until you get the consistancy you want if you are not weighing out your ingredients. Also, make sure you add preservative & use distilled water. Hope that helps! Smile
daydreamingda wrote:
Hi Darren, I am more than delighted to have you answering my question!!!!

to be precise, I mixed 0.5 tsp (equal to 1g?) of sodium hyaluronate with 2oz (or 60ml or 4 tbsp) of water. I aprinkle the NaH and let it sit for a 15-20mins and shaked vigoriously as instructed (from bulkactives.com, where i purchased my NaH.

http://www.bulkactives.com/formulations/hagel.htm

even after 1-2 weeks, it's still as watery as ever!!! could what went wrong?! and how could I test if the Nah (powder) is working??!

many thx!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
i see! maybe that's why!

there was a measurement chart in their website:

http://www.bulkactives.com/measurement.htm

saying that 1/2 tsp of HA = 1g! that's why i got this impression that 1/2 tsp is emough! (now I am suspecting I got "cheated" by paying 5g for sth much less than 5g!!! Embarassed )

anyone who bot HA from the same site got the same problem??!! Crying or Very sad

I will definitely weight it tonite and see if that's the reason.

a million thx again, Darren!!!!!!
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:15 am      Reply with quote
No problem! I'm not familiar with that company or their products. I would definitely weigh out your ingredients, as the water & HA have different specific gravities. Let us know ho wit works out for you! Smile
daydreamingda wrote:
i see! maybe that's why!

there was a measurement chart in their website:

http://www.bulkactives.com/measurement.htm

saying that 1/2 tsp of HA = 1g! that's why i got this impression that 1/2 tsp is emough! (now I am suspecting I got "cheated" by paying 5g for sth much less than 5g!!! Embarassed )

anyone who bot HA from the same site got the same problem??!! Crying or Very sad

I will definitely weight it tonite and see if that's the reason.

a million thx again, Darren!!!!!!

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I don't know answer to this question but have one. Can you use glycerin and vitamin e with HLA instead of or in addition to water? I have been and love the consistency but as I read now I'm not sure. Thanks
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
maryms wrote:
I don't know answer to this question but have one. Can you use glycerin and vitamin e with HLA instead of or in addition to water? I have been and love the consistency but as I read now I'm not sure. Thanks

For DIY purposes, HA usually comes in powder form - and you must use water to dissolve it. Glycerin could also be added, but Glycerin is also a humectant like HA so it's really unnecessary. You could dry maybe Aloe Vera instead. It's fine to add a couple of drops of Vitamin E but you'll find they won't fully incorporate without an emulsifier.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |