Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Horrible coldsore scars, ladies?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 am      Reply with quote
So I've been blessed to have 20 coldsore breakouts at the same time last month and have been confined in the house for 3 weeks now.

It is partially my fault as i used a substance called DMSO to kill the virus but for some reason I think it detoxified my body too rapidly and caused the virus to come out too fast.

Anyway, I ended up with 10 on my upper lip, and 10 on my lower lip, and it is hideous.

It has improved though, but since i can no longer stay in the house much longer I decided to fasten the process and 'trim' the scabs to make them appear smaller each time they healed on the corners. Well... little smart me decided to put polysporin on it, and it really did do the job, but for some reason it softened the scab so much that it just 'slid' off. All of them. I think I put too much polysporin.

Needless to say, it left me ugly scars, and to prove that I'm not exaggerating (like women tend to do..), I can't even smile properly because of the scar tissue pulling my lips back.

Externally the outbreaks look much better, it's only if you look upclose that you can see the scars clearly if I do not cover them up. Internally, I feel like crap and I need to get rid of them ASAP with no trace of scars,

I know there is VIT E, Rosehip, Emu, Polysporin, Mederma and such but I wanted to see which one was recommended the most as I don't want to try let's say Vit E, and find out it's not working very well, and by the time I do mederma it's already too late cuz the scars have gotten old...

Sorry for the long-winded post, as you can see i've been in the house for too long and I have a lot of rage I need to let out.

Peace!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:52 am      Reply with quote
I think I would have left the house for a few minutes to go to the pharmacy. I believe there are good treatments for cold sores nowadays that you won't need a prescription to buy. Good luck.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I am sorry about your cold sores, I too have been blessed with them for about 20-22 years. It seems they have gotten better in my later years, meaning I don't get them as often, but when I do get them...they are massive and they scar. Probably because when I was a child, I left them alone and did not care much about them. Now that I am an adult, I think I mess with them trying to get them to go away. When I get them now, as an adult..it means I don't get to kiss my boyfriend...which stinks. Anyway, moral of my story...SEPTEMBERGIRL is right. The pharmacy has some great products now that really work. I have tried several and a few suggestions for you. These are in order according to my favorites.

(Zilactin) is something I use in the beginning when you first feel the tingly sensation coming on, along with popping some Lysine tablets.

#1 Abreva-expensive but worth it!!!
#2-Cepacol Viractin

Once I get a scab, I apply Medicated Campho Phenique cold sore treatment (for scab relief). I put a big glob of it on it at night. It makes the scab soft and takes away any redness or soreness. In the morning, when the scab is soft...it will just fall off in the warm water of the shower. Before this, I would want to pick at the big scab on my lip...which is a huge NO NO. Best wishes.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Coldsore is part of the Herpes Simplex Virus family. When you have coldsore, it will heal and the scar will eventually go away (unless you pick at it and disrupt the healing process). Generally, cold sores will not scar your skin.

Maybe you should give yourself sometime for it to heal. Healing could take from 2-4 weeks.
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Acyclovir is a presciption med and if you take it(orally), you'll see a difference within 24 hours or less. For me, it's been a lifesaver.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:51 am      Reply with quote
If your cold sore ends up extending to the top of your lip or bottom (meaning on the skin itself) off the lip...which mine always do, you can get scars, even if you do not pick or touch them. They are no different than a large zit, that I can completely NOT touch, and still get a long lasting red mark. Believe me, better to treat them right away to hopefully not get a scar, but being a lifer of cold sores, scars can happen.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the replies! however my post may have been misunderstood because it is already over and left me with 13 big scars on and outside my lips,

what can i do and use to make them go away?
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
13 scars, boy that is a lot. Is it from 13 different cold sores? I typically get mine in only one spot on my top lip, no where else (knock on wood). On the scars my suggestion would be the following: If they are on your skin, you should be using any type of product that aids in the removal of acne scars. Lemon juice does help lighten them, but be careful...to close to your lip you don't want to burn that tender skin on your lips with direct contact of lemon juice. I also apply some Tazorac on my scars, it helps them release the skin (shed sort of speak) which reveals new skin. Best wishes

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I had about 20+ coldsores at the same time, yes. It ruined my summer, but what happened happened...

Now I am lef with 13 scars, 3 on lower lip and 10 on upper. They are mostly on the lip border between lip and skin... What's weird is, if it's in the middle of my lip the scar will heal just fine. But if half is on my lip, and half is on my skin, the lip part will heal real bad as if the closer the scar is to my skin the worse the scarring is!

I looked up tazorac and its a prescription drug that may cause further scarring as i've read from other users... right now going to the doctor is no option as I dont have a family doctor anymore although i am looking.

By the way.. let's make that 14 scars, arg! Why does herpes have to be ugly AND scarring?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:
thanks for the replies! however my post may have been misunderstood because it is already over and left me with 13 big scars on and outside my lips,

what can i do and use to make them go away?

Tamanu oil is supposed to be very good for scars (new and old)...it is also a very strong anti-inflammatory and is anti-bacterial. I was blown away by how quickly it cleared up some acne scars and inflammation on my face.

I bought a 1oz sample from essentialwholesale.com for $5, but shipping can be high:
http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product_p/416s.htm

GOW also carries it in a 1oz size...it is $8.70, but shipping may be lower.
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/3987807/3779005.htm

Here are a couple links on it's benefits and uses (see info regarding scars at the bottom on the first one):

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/tamanu.php

http://www.medicinehunter.com/tamanu.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bethany!

Thank you for taking your time to write that helpful post.. I'll definitely look into tamanu oil.

By the way, just noticed the LED device you got listed in your signature, is it any better than the quasar SP?

And what exactly does it do that SP doesn't do? thanks
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
WIth the horrible outbreak I had there was no way for me to even walk out the door, i had to order takeout daily ;-0!

I know there is nothing over the counter than can help except for abreva which did nothing,

what happened was that I used DMSO which i think i explained earlier and it just made things 100x worse,

for coldsore sufferers, NEVER use DMSO or liquid oxygen during an outbreak!

Septembergirl wrote:
I think I would have left the house for a few minutes to go to the pharmacy. I believe there are good treatments for cold sores nowadays that you won't need a prescription to buy. Good luck.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
lovemore wrote:
Hi Bethany!

Thank you for taking your time to write that helpful post.. I'll definitely look into tamanu oil.

By the way, just noticed the LED device you got listed in your signature, is it any better than the quasar SP?

And what exactly does it do that SP doesn't do? thanks

Lovemore, there are various views on which LEDs are better, but after looking at the technical specs and wavelengths, I decided to purchase the ProLight because I felt it was stronger and had definite amber wavelengths (Quasar's are "close to amber") which are better for fine lines.

However, they are both solid products and you can't go wrong with either.

Here are a couple of links for you to check out on the skin care tools forum:

How to choose an LED:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28996

ProLight thread
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28775

Quasar thread:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15282

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for this,

I'm still young, in my early twenties, and i'm trying to not do too much to my skin as it might just have the opposite effect!
Miss Shoes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
oh you poor dear!!!! And heart goes out to you, what a horrible experience. You must have been in so much pain and uncomfortable.

For starters, you really need to relax and let go of the stress b/c it is a lot harder to heal when the body is emotionally stressed.

Try your best not to pick as this makes the scars worse. Keep the area well moisturized so the skin dosent crack chaft. There are many scar creams on the market...I haev not personally tried any.
My girl friend tried Trilastin and says it works wonderful.http://www.trilastin.com/

I would take a zinc supplement as this mineral is very important for the skin to heal. But take a small amount.
You have to be carful with natural health products as they can act much like drugs. It is terrible you had such an experience.

Also, I knwo that cold sore suffers can use L-Lyseine, an amino acid, right before the outbreak..when you feel the `tingle`and this can stop outbreaks.

Take care....u are always beautiful to us Smile
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
Awww miss shoes! thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot to me although we're so far away,

It was worse ot not being able to go out and be confined in your room all the time,

I"m telling you.. catching this thing was the worst I thought for a while, but then again.. I have herpes, herpes doesn't have me.. there are much worse things out there that kill you!

Funny part is.. I think I caught this from a family member as I didn't get my first kiss till after I had an outbreak in my teens
mishb
5% products discount

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:46 am      Reply with quote
I can't offer any help, but I can sympathise. I don't get coldsores often, but when I do (now) they are accompanied by a large amount of swelling, I have had 5 in the last 10 days, atm I have one each on my top and bottom lip, and I look like I have a huge duck beak!!
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:07 am      Reply with quote
I hope u get better mishb!

Try and put some ice on it, it reduces the swelling by 90% the following morning,

I know it sucks.. if u want the sores to go away faster, or to prevent them from forming blisters in the future, try dynamiclear, it works! it stings but that means it's killing the virus,

I;ve tried every product out there and dynamiclear is the only thing that worked that wasn't damaging.

*Hydrogen peroxide kills the virus, but hurts ur skin
*Rubbing alcohol isnt good
DMSO can be dangerous if used too much
*Abreva only does so much
*Valtrex supresses the virus, but that means u're keeping it alive and replicable inside your spine,

just think of herpes like ants, when u have an outbreak, kill as many as you can so they wont bring more back to their hive, that way each OB will become less and less severe.

Lemonbalm is also worth looking into, it;s not as expensive, but Dynamiclear is my current savior, I swear by it, and i sound like I'm advertising it, which I'm not. There is a 6 month money back policy, you can't go wrong!
midwestgal
5% products discount

Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I can totally sympathize with you, I also frequently get cold sores. Here lately it seems like every other month. I get mine when I’m stressed, don’t get enough sleep from worrying or a sick kid, my immune system gets weakened.
I use DMSO & haven’t had a reaction like yours. Make sure it is applied on clean skin as it can carry anything else that’s on your skin deep into skin tissues. The last couple of weeks I have had success stopping an outbreak, the blister was forming but not itchy yet, by using Olive Leaf Extract. The dosage is approx. 3,000 mg. every six hours. I also took 3,000 mg of lysine. I alternated applying Lysine Plus and Abreva on the blister. The blister slowly went down and away after a couple of days.
I can’t stand being in public either when I have an outbreak. Cold sores are really hard on the self esteem. For your scarring issues, have you tried putting zinc oxide on it? (the kind that comes in a tube) I put Camilla oil on my most recent scarring but only because that’s all I had on hand.
Hope you heal up soon.
Regina
Greenhillgirl32
5% products discount

Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
You gotta look into taking Lysine. That is the only stuff I ever use. Normally I get a coldsore once a year, right around February. I've gotten coldsores since I was about 8yrs old. But now when I get them, people can't tell b/c it looks more like I have a bit of a swollen lip and heals so much faster. 10 years ago or so someone gave me lysine ointment, and I still use it. I've tried everything else, even prescription creams but nothing works as good as lysine. As well, I've even started taking the lysine supplement when I feel one coming on, and I swear to you that whatever coldsore started, is gone the next day. The lady at the Nutrition Store told me that you need 3000mg a day when you're having an outbreak. So, I would take 6/day for a few days till I felt it was safe to stop. I'm sure if you look it up online, you'll find tons of info. This is the lysine ointment I take, I also use the chapstick Lysine Plus w/ SPF for every day to keep things in check.

ointment: trustnutrition(DOT)com/product/BasicOrganicsLLysineOintment875oz. html
chapstick: quantumhealth(DOT)com

sorry, the site won't let me add web addys.
lovemore
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much! I needed this ..
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:53 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |