Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
FINACEA findings~ please read
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Finacea for a while now. My skin still feels very smooth and my pores less noticeable, but I haven't bothered to use my Clarisonic and I notice that although the Finacea seems to be helping with the blackheads and clogged pores, it seems that you need something to help shift them once they've been loosend! So i'm going to go back to using the Clarisonic once a day again and see if that helps anymore.
Sel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:22 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to add that I became lazy and stopped using the Finacea for a couple of my weeks and my skin looked awful, much more clogged and uneven. Although as yet I haven't seen any reduction in any of the red marks left from previous breakouts.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Finacea since August and whilst it does control the oils and makes blackheads and pores less visible, it does not really control my acne. I still get pimples before my monthlies and even when I dab a bit more of the gel onto my pimples, they do not heal any faster. Also, as Sel mentioned, my red acne marks (from new and previous breakouts) are still visible and has not faded at all.
I use this along with Retin-A, with the Finacea in the morning and RA at night. I didnt purge whilst using the Finacea, maybe because I was already using RA since March so my pores arent as clogged. I did experience some itchiness and it does sting a tiny bit but after one or two weeks, all that goes away.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Finacea and retin A would not control hormonal acne. Hormonal acne is a different beast and needs other treatments. Medical treatment consists of birth control pill plus or minus spironolactone. Non-medical measures that may help are krill oil, blackcurrant oil, DIM (extract from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, etc.), spearmint tea. Various people have had success with one of these non-medical methods but it rather depends on the individual. Personally, I found that krill oil helps. It's also high in antioxidants and is good for heart health and joint health. I don't have bad hormonal acne, only a few pimples around that time of month that used to take a long time to heal and end up with bumps. Since taking krill oil, there are still one or two pimples but heal much faster without scarring. Of course it may not work for everyone, but it's helping me.

I don't have much in the way of red scars any more. I got rid of them using AHA (MAMA lotion) before using Finacea. Finacea helped to control blackheads and reduce pores in my case.
ezduzit
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I was given Finacea and have noticed that my skin gets oilier. Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me??
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:15 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Finacea and retin A would not control hormonal acne. Hormonal acne is a different beast and needs other treatments. Medical treatment consists of birth control pill plus or minus spironolactone. Non-medical measures that may help are krill oil, blackcurrant oil, DIM (extract from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, etc.), spearmint tea. Various people have had success with one of these non-medical methods but it rather depends on the individual. Personally, I found that krill oil helps. It's also high in antioxidants and is good for heart health and joint health. I don't have bad hormonal acne, only a few pimples around that time of month that used to take a long time to heal and end up with bumps. Since taking krill oil, there are still one or two pimples but heal much faster without scarring. Of course it may not work for everyone, but it's helping me.

I don't have much in the way of red scars any more. I got rid of them using AHA (MAMA lotion) before using Finacea. Finacea helped to control blackheads and reduce pores in my case.

Thanks for your reply m1rox
What a shame to hear that theres no topical gels/creams to control hormonal acne as I detest taking any meds. But I've not looked into the "natural" approach yet.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I have using Finacea for the last two weeks at my surgeon's request and i love it. Now mt hubby is using it for his rosacea. There is a difference between this and Skinoren, which I had ordered from Inhouse Pharmacy. It has really toned down the erethyma left from my upper and lower blephs and help the hyper pigmentation left from the Active Laser. Skinceuticals Phyto also really has helped with that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I continue to check in on the posts regarding Finacea, as well as I continue to tell my friends, family, more friends...etc..about it. I have been using it since August 14th, and I still could not be happier. The itching that I experienced in the beginning (although tolerable) is completely gone. I am still using Peter Thomas Roth 3% Gly. acid wash, with my battery operated face brush and then Finacea. That is it. My clogged pores, GONE! Breakouts, (one or two once a month) and they are small, I mean little. My skin is no longer greasy, no blotting during the day, and no more staring in the mirror wishing away my bad skin. I do not have to get up and check my face before I walk out in the front room, making sure to conceal any large growths that happened over night...nothing. I wear very little face makeup anymore. I did all but throw away my mineral makeups, after trying everyone of them, I have found that they are irritating to skin period! Mineral Makeup is a big ploy brought on by the makeup industry to believe we are doing something good for our skin. I am not buying it~ and not using it anymore! Just an update on the Finacea side. I love it and I can not be happier that I found it. I finally have my life back!

5% products discount

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Oi...I had my first derm app't last week and I left feeling very frustrated. They are going to be doing a patch test in a month to see what my irritants are. Has anyone had this?
Anyways, I described my skin to the Dr. who just typed it out on her laptop the whole time. I started getting what I think are random clogged pores, itchy rash like pimples and breakouts. At any given time during the day or night I'll have itchy red bumps come from nowhere. Arghh.
My MD thought it could be rosacea but figured the Derm would be able to help. She couldn't answer for 100% sure either, hence the patch testing. She gave me some samples (Rosasol, Clindasol and some other metro based cream) - I did tell her that i had no luck with the Metrocream but she gave me samples of them anyways. Blah! Ok, so I asked her about azealic acid (finacea) and she said it was not available in Canada so I mentioned Skinoren...she said she's never heard of it. I'm pretty sure it is available in Canada, but she was adamant that azealic acid isn't FDA approved in Canada. Whatever...she kinda pissed me off, so I have since ordered it from epharmacy. I do have very dry skin though so it might be too much, but it was only $30 and I am ok with that if it doesn't work. I'll try it on my forehead first, my cheeks and around my mouth are the most sensitive. Has anyone with rather dry skin had any luck with finacea? I also have been using a cleanser and moisturizer that are ph 5.5 and that makes a difference too. I also have been dedicated to taking my buttload of vits and supplements this last month which have been amazing - I did have a setback this week due to the Clindasol (i think), but it's calming down. I have just started downing Omega 3 oils which as I recall I don't get a lot in my diet so there could be some correlation there with my dry, patchy, itchy skin! At the very least I would be happy to nuke the itchiness. It's what drives me mad and gets me all stressed out.
Sorry for the ramble folks, I do hope that maybe the finacea works but time will tell. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer or has similar experiences to moi.
Cheers!!!
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
Have you all found it effective in fading acne marks? I used it previously and it didnt help me with acne marks. I cant remember if my skin became clearer because it was itching like mad. So I stopped using.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Yes, Finacea does lighten redness/darkness from acne. I noticed it especially on my forehead. My skin is pretty light, and these marks always looked purplish on me. I have a few very deep ones that I can cover with concealer; I doubt if they'll ever go away. But everything else - gone and very even in tone.

Berquis, I'm so glad Finacea has worked so well for you! Isn't it wonderful, just not having to constantly check a mirror and blot?!

Greenhillgirl32, your experience with the derm sounds so annoying. Half of them, you wonder if they even went to med school. Good for you, ordering online! The only way to know is to try. Let us know how it goes for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Berquis, I'm so glad Finacea has worked so well for you! Isn't it wonderful, just not having to constantly check a mirror and blot?!

* Thank you~ it is a wonderful feeling, I still can not believe it. Sometimes I check just because it looks so good!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Greenhillgirl32 wrote:
Oi...I had my first derm app't last week and I left feeling very frustrated. They are going to be doing a patch test in a month to see what my irritants are. Has anyone had this?
Anyways, I described my skin to the Dr. who just typed it out on her laptop the whole time. I started getting what I think are random clogged pores, itchy rash like pimples and breakouts. At any given time during the day or night I'll have itchy red bumps come from nowhere. Arghh.
My MD thought it could be rosacea but figured the Derm would be able to help. She couldn't answer for 100% sure either, hence the patch testing. She gave me some samples (Rosasol, Clindasol and some other metro based cream) - I did tell her that i had no luck with the Metrocream but she gave me samples of them anyways. Blah! Ok, so I asked her about azealic acid (finacea) and she said it was not available in Canada so I mentioned Skinoren...she said she's never heard of it. I'm pretty sure it is available in Canada, but she was adamant that azealic acid isn't FDA approved in Canada. Whatever...she kinda pissed me off, so I have since ordered it from epharmacy. I do have very dry skin though so it might be too much, but it was only $30 and I am ok with that if it doesn't work. I'll try it on my forehead first, my cheeks and around my mouth are the most sensitive. Has anyone with rather dry skin had any luck with finacea? I also have been using a cleanser and moisturizer that are ph 5.5 and that makes a difference too. I also have been dedicated to taking my buttload of vits and supplements this last month which have been amazing - I did have a setback this week due to the Clindasol (i think), but it's calming down. I have just started downing Omega 3 oils which as I recall I don't get a lot in my diet so there could be some correlation there with my dry, patchy, itchy skin! At the very least I would be happy to nuke the itchiness. It's what drives me mad and gets me all stressed out.
Sorry for the ramble folks, I do hope that maybe the finacea works but time will tell. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer or has similar experiences to moi.
Cheers!!!

Hi Greeny:

Have just been alerted to Finacea by Keliu on the Containes Silicones thread

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=411812#411812. I'm in Cda too & am curious if you ever tried Differin & compared it with Finacea.
So, your derm said it wasn't available here? Could you pls post the link to your epharmacy as I'd like to try at least one tube to test this stuff.

Have had bumps and lumps for yrs, sebaceous hyperplasia, I only learned it was called within the past 18 mos. Was told some yrs back my sebaceous glands were overactive and there was nothing to be done. Well, have learned differently.

I too used acids & all manner of things to control my bumps but was advised by Dr.H of the 302 line that acids & my other products were actually stimulating the growth of these oily little critters. To make a long story short, I cold turkeyed off acids and all other creams/treatments that I was convinced were helping me. Lo & behold after using only organic jojoba oil, my bumps have diminished by 85% in 4 mos!!! Pores much cleaner too - really surprises me. This routine was recommended to prep my skin before using the 302 full time. Seems our lumpy/bumpy hyperplasia condition is v. difficult to fully tame. However, always looking for something to take me that xtra step.

So that's why my ? re Differin & whether you've tried it.

MerciIA
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I don't think Finacea will be able to control sebaceous hyperplasia. Standard medical treatment to try and prevent them is tretinoin (e.g. Retin A, Renova, etc). And ablative laser for the bigger bumps.

I have a combination of syringomas and sebaceous hyperplasia. I'm on Renova but I found that adding NIA24 (pro-Niacin) to the regime did give additional help in smoothing out the bumps.

I've used Finacea and I found that helped to reduce blackheads, reduced oil secretion and somewhat helped with large pores but NIA24 was more helpful for the little bumps.

That's just my own experience. These products may give different effects in different people.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:51 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
I don't think Finacea will be able to control sebaceous hyperplasia. Standard medical treatment to try and prevent them is tretinoin (e.g. Retin A, Renova, etc). And ablative laser for the bigger bumps.

I have a combination of syringomas and sebaceous hyperplasia. I'm on Renova but I found that adding NIA24 (pro-Niacin) to the regime did give additional help in smoothing out the bumps.

I've used Finacea and I found that helped to reduce blackheads, reduced oil secretion and somewhat helped with large pores but NIA24 was more helpful for the little bumps.

That's just my own experience. These products may give different effects in different people.

That's interesting cuz the Differin suggested to me is a tretinoin & it has helped. But for me I think that by not overstimulating the production of sebum with exfoliating acids & using the jojoba as the only moisturizer has resulted in the sebum regulating itself to near normal levels. Mind you, those looking for a quick fix with this routine would be disappointed. It has taken me 4 mos & thankfully I'm rather patient about these things. Ablative laser is not a route I'd want to take as frankly, how can it possibly address the root cause of the little beasts? On the otherhand, the NIA24 sounds more reasonable.

And silicones? huge UGH for me. Skin absolutely hates them (produces lots of bumps, gunk, you name it, out of a violent revenge whenever I've used anything containing them). Since so many products contain these monsters I am super diligent about avoiding them as I've yet to win an argument with my skin about their use. It's definitely in control.

Have just now been delivered of some rollers for dermarolling. YIKES! am not inclined to masochism so what the H am I doing with these things??? Perhaps taking my own revenge out on MGC? (my glorious complexion...)

OK, may not be a masochist but I might be certifiable...
Greenhillgirl32
5% products discount

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi Arya….
How interesting about the sebaceous hyperplasia…I googled it for photos and what I have doesn’t really look like that, but the pics also look similar to rosacea. What are your symptoms like? Do your bumps get itchy??? That’s my problem and they appear and disappear randomly. If I get a ‘real’ pimple, as I call it…you know the kind, when it’s not itchy I call it a real blemish..it’s gone in a day or so therefore I don’t worry about those as much as the itchiness that other bumpies bring.

I ordered the Finacea through epharmacy DOT com DOT au – Sorry, I can’t post full links. I thought Skinoren was available in Canada, and maybe it isn’t and the derm was right or she’s wrong b/c I thought for sure I read about CDN members here getting prescriptions for it. I also live in Ontario, whether that makes a difference or not. Regardless, I have since ordered it and the price was under $30. It hasn’t arrived yet and when it does I will be using with caution. Will try chin or forehead first to make sure there’s no initial bad reactions.

Your question on Differin got me thinking. I used a tube of it about 7 years ago and at the time I don’t think I needed it. Was using it for very ‘minor’ acne. Had always felt my skin was somewhat strong and could handle things well, but after that everything was so much more sensitive. Especially the sun, then products that I had used faithfully for years started burning. I had used Oil of Olay (twice a day ha!) since I was 13….after Differin I couldn’t even put it on my skin…I used to use Neutrogena’s Pore Refining Scrub that was a HG for me…now it’s a death sentence for my face. So…….was it related to Differin? At the time I didn’t put 2 and 2 together but now with everything being all wacky I am wondering if Differin may have pushed my skin to the ‘other’ side. Aside from Differin so many years ago I have used NO acids on my face. I have just stuck with a basic plan mind you I have tons of ‘basic plans’ depending on what is going on. I have tried Jojoba oil and I did like it then I started to get an itchy rash and more itchy bumps…so I stopped, whether it had anything to do with that or something else I don’t know. Once I get freaked out by a product I never go back. The first time I did OCM with jojoba, the next morning my skin looked awesome…bumps went down but the more I used it the less benefits I saw.

I think in hindsight I probably did too much to my skin and disturbed the PH. My derm hasn’t been helpful yet but we’ll see after my patch test. They will test about 65 things on my back to see what I have reactions to. The esthetician I talked to there was awesome though. She said I have obviously done my research (thanks to this site) and am using the right things. One of my biggest problems is dehydration (despite drinking tons of water), she could see flakes all over my skin but as you know scrubbing only makes it worse so the flakes stay. Good thing is she said I do have good skin and have good genetics (wheee…I’m 33 but she thought I was much younger) but something is disturbing it.

Have you heard of Prosacea? It is not mentioned on this forum at all which surprised me. There are tons of reviews out there however it is not available in Canada and I don’t know of a similar product. My dad works out of the US so he was able to pick it up for me. It is a sulphur cream/gel and it does help, a lot!! On top of that I put Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. I’ve been using it a few weeks now and so far so good. The majority of my bumps are primarily gone or reduced big time. My dry skin soaked up all that creamy goodness and now the flakes are practically gone and my skin feels normal. It hasn’t looked this good in at least a few years. It’s not a cure though, as I still have a few odd itchy red bumps but they are smaller and go away quickly, especially with Prosacea and Cetaphil. Basic, basic, basic is what I am trying to do. With Finacea I hope it’s that extra step myself so fingers crossed!! Now that my dry skin isn’t so dry anymore I am less worried about putting something new on it. With the prosacea at first I put it on and didn’t add anything else afterwards like a moisturizer. Big mistake..I needed something and when I did a lot of redness went down.

Ok….so I went long here. It’s so good to compare experiences with ppl going through similar problems. I don’t think I could ever stop using creams though b/c its way to cold and dry here. I have also experienced good things with adding a few drops of Red Raspberry Seed oil to my moisturizer. Now that Cetaphil is giving me that extra oomph…I haven’t felt the need to add oils. But, it will be a long winter so you never know. Good luck….If you order Finacea let me know how things are going. I am interested to hear your do’s/don’ts and success stories. Oh and yes…I have a Tanda and it has helped a lot too! I actually just sent it back to their main location b/c the red light wasn’t working properly so they are sending me a brand new unit. Woot!!

What other things have you found work for you? Do you go for facials at all?? The lady at the Derm center advised me to NOT get any until things are under control. Booo!!! I have had 2 this year..first one was great and exfoliated like nothing I have ever experienced and I didn’t break out. Second time I went she was trying to treat my ghastly red brown marks left on my face after a Vasculyse session that took almost a year to go away (thanks to Tanda)..Anyways, she used so many different things on my face that day it was too much. I instantly started getting itchy red bites on my face (looks similar to Mosquito bite)…she thought it weird, said I probably have rosacea or eczema and to see a dr. I would like to get a facial 1-2 times a year but am stumped on whom to go see. Should I go back to the same lady and tell her to stick to whatever she did the first time? Oi…..it never ends, does it?
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Greenhillgirl32 wrote:
Hi Arya….
How interesting about the sebaceous hyperplasia…I googled it for photos and what I have doesn’t really look like that, but the pics also look similar to rosacea. What are your symptoms like? Do your bumps get itchy??? That’s my problem and they appear and disappear randomly. If I get a ‘real’ pimple, as I call it…you know the kind, when it’s not itchy I call it a real blemish..it’s gone in a day or so therefore I don’t worry about those as much as the itchiness that other bumpies bring.

I ordered the Finacea through epharmacy DOT com DOT au – Sorry, I can’t post full links. I thought Skinoren was available in Canada, and maybe it isn’t and the derm was right or she’s wrong b/c I thought for sure I read about CDN members here getting prescriptions for it. I also live in Ontario, whether that makes a difference or not. Regardless, I have since ordered it and the price was under $30. It hasn’t arrived yet and when it does I will be using with caution. Will try chin or forehead first to make sure there’s no initial bad reactions.

Your question on Differin got me thinking. I used a tube of it about 7 years ago and at the time I don’t think I needed it. Was using it for very ‘minor’ acne. Had always felt my skin was somewhat strong and could handle things well, but after that everything was so much more sensitive. Especially the sun, then products that I had used faithfully for years started burning. I had used Oil of Olay (twice a day ha!) since I was 13….after Differin I couldn’t even put it on my skin…I used to use Neutrogena’s Pore Refining Scrub that was a HG for me…now it’s a death sentence for my face. So…….was it related to Differin? At the time I didn’t put 2 and 2 together but now with everything being all wacky I am wondering if Differin may have pushed my skin to the ‘other’ side. Aside from Differin so many years ago I have used NO acids on my face. I have just stuck with a basic plan mind you I have tons of ‘basic plans’ depending on what is going on. I have tried Jojoba oil and I did like it then I started to get an itchy rash and more itchy bumps…so I stopped, whether it had anything to do with that or something else I don’t know. Once I get freaked out by a product I never go back. The first time I did OCM with jojoba, the next morning my skin looked awesome…bumps went down but the more I used it the less benefits I saw.

I think in hindsight I probably did too much to my skin and disturbed the PH. My derm hasn’t been helpful yet but we’ll see after my patch test. They will test about 65 things on my back to see what I have reactions to. The esthetician I talked to there was awesome though. She said I have obviously done my research (thanks to this site) and am using the right things. One of my biggest problems is dehydration (despite drinking tons of water), she could see flakes all over my skin but as you know scrubbing only makes it worse so the flakes stay. Good thing is she said I do have good skin and have good genetics (wheee…I’m 33 but she thought I was much younger) but something is disturbing it.

Have you heard of Prosacea? It is not mentioned on this forum at all which surprised me. There are tons of reviews out there however it is not available in Canada and I don’t know of a similar product. My dad works out of the US so he was able to pick it up for me. It is a sulphur cream/gel and it does help, a lot!! On top of that I put Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. I’ve been using it a few weeks now and so far so good. The majority of my bumps are primarily gone or reduced big time. My dry skin soaked up all that creamy goodness and now the flakes are practically gone and my skin feels normal. It hasn’t looked this good in at least a few years. It’s not a cure though, as I still have a few odd itchy red bumps but they are smaller and go away quickly, especially with Prosacea and Cetaphil. Basic, basic, basic is what I am trying to do. With Finacea I hope it’s that extra step myself so fingers crossed!! Now that my dry skin isn’t so dry anymore I am less worried about putting something new on it. With the prosacea at first I put it on and didn’t add anything else afterwards like a moisturizer. Big mistake..I needed something and when I did a lot of redness went down.

Ok….so I went long here. It’s so good to compare experiences with ppl going through similar problems. I don’t think I could ever stop using creams though b/c its way to cold and dry here. I have also experienced good things with adding a few drops of Red Raspberry Seed oil to my moisturizer. Now that Cetaphil is giving me that extra oomph…I haven’t felt the need to add oils. But, it will be a long winter so you never know. Good luck….If you order Finacea let me know how things are going. I am interested to hear your do’s/don’ts and success stories. Oh and yes…I have a Tanda and it has helped a lot too! I actually just sent it back to their main location b/c the red light wasn’t working properly so they are sending me a brand new unit. Woot!!

What other things have you found work for you? Do you go for facials at all?? The lady at the Derm center advised me to NOT get any until things are under control. Booo!!! I have had 2 this year..first one was great and exfoliated like nothing I have ever experienced and I didn’t break out. Second time I went she was trying to treat my ghastly red brown marks left on my face after a Vasculyse session that took almost a year to go away (thanks to Tanda)..Anyways, she used so many different things on my face that day it was too much. I instantly started getting itchy red bites on my face (looks similar to Mosquito bite)…she thought it weird, said I probably have rosacea or eczema and to see a dr. I would like to get a facial 1-2 times a year but am stumped on whom to go see. Should I go back to the same lady and tell her to stick to whatever she did the first time? Oi…..it never ends, does it?

Well first of all, your post gave me a good big chuckle...aaaall the things we go thru to achieve what seems so easy for the more fortunate among us (the girlies w good skin I mean). No, my bumps are not at all itchy or dry. And the pics you see of hyperplasia are generally far worse than mine - thank god for small mercies. But once my bumps appear on my face, they pretty much sit there daring me to do sg about them. It was explained to me that they are little lumps of protein (sebum - am tempted to say see bum? as tho' MGC is taunting me) that have clumped together instead of spreading evenly under the surface. They often start appearing as a result of too much sun exposure, genetic predisposition (I won't tell you about that - way too funny), and maybe in my case, daydreaming too much in my grade 3 class, or from beating up the school bully when I was 10 yrs old when he picked on my brother (I shudda let him do it, my brother turned into the most nasty of men) - who knows? Anyway they've only come under control with the simple routine I now follow.

But the key to using the jojoba properly I learned from a gal on the Forum called Wildflower, an expert regarding the use of oils. She said the secret is first spritzing the face liberally with water - I use Avene's Spring Water, available in an aerosol can - then apply a thin film of the oil, and spritz liberally again. She claimed that otherwise, the skin can't properly deal with the oil and it may cause other problems. This method is recommended regardless of the oil used. And the 302 program that I'm about to begin recommends this application method as well. Others on the Forum have indicated problems using jojoba but these were also probably the result of not spritzing before AND after.

If there is one thing I've learned in the past 6 mos about skin care, it is to not bombard the skin with too many & different products. It goes into a tailspin much like our stomachs after a huge holiday meal. Seems great at the time but ohhh, takes time for the tummy to recover and then only by laying off the goodies.

For your problems, perhaps, and I say perhaps cuz god knows I'm no expert, you are attempting too much with too many products. And from what I've read, Differin is to be used judiciously and with a quality sunscreen. If you experienced sensitivity after using Differin perhaps you weren't properly instructed on the correct and frequency of application.

That you are dehydrated even tho'consuming lots of water seems to me that your skin is sending you a message that it's reacting against something. I know for a long time I was throwing way too much stuff at my skin for it to cope with the onslaught. I didn't know how to properly hydrate it without using creams, serums. But now that the cold weather is upon us and harsh central heating, I'll be spritzing frequently for xtra moisture. Keep a can of the Spring Water on bedside table and spritz any time I'm conscious enuf during the nite and first thing in the a.m.

And Cetaphil - I know lots of people swear by it but it does contain, at least the Gentle Cleanser does, one of the harshest ingredients Sodium lauryl sulfate - SLS. This stuff is horrendously harsh on the skin - it's an industrial detergent, used to clean oil spills & whatnot. Many cleansers & other products contain this stuff, even so called reputable lines & it wrecks havoc with many peoples' skins, including mine & I always thot I had hide, not skin!

I don't know Prosacea, am assuming it's for rosacea - will google.

No, don't do facials any more - difficult to find one that won't load my skin with all sorts of things I've learned it doesn't like. What I do use is a LED light system, DPL, every 2nd day. Altho' there are other LED systems available that I believe are more powerful, I have found this a godsend for me and suspect my transition off acids/other stuff, would have been much more problematic without it. You have the Tanda & I hope you've found it useful.

Many other gadgets that I know would help are available to our American members but would cost a fortune here with the xchange rate & shipping (boohoo). What the heck, we have gun laws here....(tsk tsk)and bleepin' cold & bleepin' loooong winters(am depressed awready....)

One last word, have you looked at the 302 thread http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=1825 . Yes it speaks of being a non-acid line and you're not an acid user, but the line addresses many more issues than simply a non-acid approach. It's basically about rebuilding the skin from deep within, using fairly simple natural/products & ingredients. Many people with complicated skin issues have really been helped. Boski is the resident expert, along with Nemo at the disco and Bethany. It's a long thread but I encourage you to gander thru it. It's not a quick fix as the skin must have a transition period off your usual products - mine longer than usual at 4 mos but I don't regret it since it's in much better shape that I could have hoped and I haven't even started using the products yet.

The official 302 web site is primarily for professionals but there is a sister site http://www.calmskin.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y for consumers. You might want to have a look at it. To fully understand the approach, however, the EDS 302 thread will be very helpful.

Hope you find something to help you with your issues, and yes, keep me posted as well. I'll probably have a look at Finacea, especially if I can acquire it cheaply to test it.
Greenhillgirl32
5% products discount

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Wow...should I try to top that post?? ha! best not. Thanks for the advice. It was very helpful, especially about the jojoba. And quite possibly I was using something inferior. I found it at a local health store so who knows. Where do you get yours??
Oh, and I can't use the Cetaphil cleanser either...definitely not, bad, bad!! I use the Moisturizing Cream..comes in a big @ss tub that will last forever. It doesn't have that bad ingredient and I'm sure there are some suspect ingredients (hope not) in it, but it's the only thing right now that doesn't make my skin still very dry after using it and the moisturizing lasts. In the summer however when things get really humid it would be too much for me. In those months I've been using EarthScience Almond (un-scented) moisturizer ph 5.5...as well as the A.D.E. Creamy Cleanser ph 5.5. Haven't had any problems with that and it's been almost 2 months now, which could be why I am experiencing a reprieve...hopefully it's permanent! So that is what I am sticking to right now is my EarthScience cleanser, prosacea and Cetaphil. Will test out the Finacea soon...I ordered it on Nov. 7. I think I will wait till after the New Year though to try it as I don't want to have a disaster before all these holiday parties. I've also noticed heeps of benefits from taking vitamins. Currently right now I take: Omega 3 liquid 6000mgs daily (will decrease that in a month or so), multi, calcium 1200mg, zinc 50-100mg, Vitex 2 daily, evening primrose oil, digestive enzymes, will alternate between Vit C 500mg and B complex (stress vit)...
I was reading the 302 skincare thread a while back, got into it just like a good soap opera but for whatever reason I stopped and now it looks daunting! hahaha! I guess if you're able to order it from Canada that is good. I recall wondering how would I be able to get some 302. Thanks again, I will give it another go and check things out. Surprised

Edit: I should also mention that in the last 2 months as well I have cut back my intake of caffeine (coffee only twice a week), dairy, sugar and wheat stuff. Not hardcore or anything but I use sugar in the raw, pure maple syrup or raw honey for sweetners...brown rice pasta instead of the regular kind and very minimal milk in coffee and I eat a giant salad a day!...
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Greenhillgirl32 wrote:
Wow...should I try to top that post?? ha! best not. Thanks for the advice. It
Edit: I should also mention that in the last 2 months as well I have cut back my intake of caffeine (coffee only twice a week), dairy, sugar and wheat stuff. Not hardcore or anything but I use sugar in the raw, pure maple syrup or raw honey for sweetners...brown rice pasta instead of the regular kind and very minimal milk in coffee and I eat a giant salad a day!...

Thumbs up on the brown rice pasta, & other dietary things. I love wwheat pasta, drink no milk, rarely even have a Tim's decaf and simple sugars wreck havoc with me as does anything with a stimulant in it (caffeine, nicotine, etc) Body is what I call 'too finely tuned' already without all these things to knock me to the floor and in the past they have done on more than one occasion, literally. Gave people around me quite a scare.

I bought my 302 products from a resellerwww.ncnproskincare.com. She became a good friend during my CP days, which are her specialty. But she has followed the 302 thread and ordered products for me via the drop ship method. There are others tho' namely Nemo at the Disco (don't ya love that.. Laughing ) who can advise you and order for you too. He had lots of skin issues that 302 has helped so he's tested the product efficacy. You can PM him if you wish. Apparently his service is superb.

Yeah, the 302 thread does look daunting, felt the same when I started on the Dermaroll thread. Have learned that a subject with lotsa pages has the high count for a reason - i.e. success. Unfortunately our exchange rate is the pits right now.

Take care & I love the giant salad every day. I'm a fruit freak, & at this time of yr. I eat out Loblaws' supply of pomegranates, while trying to pretend they don't stain my teeth and hands - HA!
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Greeny

Meant to mention something ...you joined the forum on my birthday, May 26th!

Interesting n'est-ce pas? At least to me... Smile

Arya
Greenhillgirl32
5% products discount

Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
You're funny!! Laughing
I like you. Thanks again for the extra info on 302!
peace chick!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:

As I've said before, I had a punch biopsy on one of my lumps but I'd forgotten what the medical name was for my condition - so I just rang the doctor's office and they confirmed that I do have the dreaded sebaceous hyperplasia. I'm so happy to have found a fellow sufferer in Arya2!

Retin-A has definitely helped, I use that at night, of course. However, I've recently started applying Finacea in the mornings and there HAS been a marked improvement. When I originally saw the derm I did have all the larger lumps on my forehead lasered - this was also very successful.

The problem with this condition is that I don't think you can ever totally get rid of the lumps. If you extract the contents, they just fill up again. I now also believe that my eating too much cheese exacerbates the condition as does using heavy face creams.

I have also had success with using a dermaroller to roll over offending areas before applying Retin-A/Finacea. And I can't speak too highly of Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion - I dot each bump with this before I go to bed.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
As I've said before, I had a punch biopsy on one of my lumps but I'd forgotten what the medical name was for my condition - so I just rang the doctor's office and they confirmed that I do have the dreaded sebaceous hyperplasia. I'm so happy to have found a fellow sufferer in Arya2!

Retin-A has definitely helped, I use that at night, of course. However, I've recently started applying Finacea in the mornings and there HAS been a marked improvement. When I originally saw the derm I did have all the larger lumps on my forehead lasered - this was also very successful.

The problem with this condition is that I don't think you can ever totally get rid of the lumps. If you extract the contents, they just fill up again. I now also believe that my eating too much cheese exacerbates the condition as does using heavy face creams.

I have also had success with using a dermaroller to roll over offending areas before applying Retin-A/Finacea. And I can't speak too highly of Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion - I dot each bump with this before I go to bed.

Well aren't we the lucky ladies! Yes, doubt that we'll ever be totally free of these bumpy beasts and yes, in the past they have just re-emerged from their underground lairs to find resting places around my T zone. Not so much now tho' am happy to say. Have been known to take a new, small xActo knife and conducted my own surgery on a few larger lumps and did a far superior job of it too than a derm some yrs back who just zapped them with a needle, leaving me with a few volcano-like craters on my forehead.
Lovely!

I too have a fondness for cheese, even tho' I choose the lower fat ones. But as I understand the 302 concept, the trick is to regulate to the extent possible the activity of our sebum power houses without compromising moisture content of the skin.

And it seems that an ultrasound spatula by Bellaire helps keep pores clean - trouble is the exchange rate is no help at all for me and with its price neither will the boys in grey at the border. So I'm relying on my skills as an off licence surgeon when necessary, rolling the contents outta them if I can, hoping the 302 routines will help and calling upon voodoo as a last resort.

For myself, I'm concerned that M. Badescu's lotion interrupts the self regulation of sebum production only to produce more of the beasts. All to say, it's a never ending hunt for something to render them inactive if not to slay them.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Well, Voodoo could very well be the next logical step! As far as the MB Drying Lotion is concerned - I just use one of those wooden cuticle sticks and paint it on the lump. I find that it seems to "eat" the lumps up overnight.
arya2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Well, Voodoo could very well be the next logical step! As far as the MB Drying Lotion is concerned - I just use one of those wooden cuticle sticks and paint it on the lump. I find that it seems to "eat" the lumps up overnight.

That stuff must be carnivorous then cuz the lumps are full of protein. I've previously read good things about it. I first bought an Aussie product last winter that might be similar - it's by Naturalis & specially formulated for hyperplasia. Naturalis' products are sold online out of Singapore. It seemed to work quite well at keeping the beasts under semi-control but Dr. H of 302 said it was basically an acne treatment & didn't address the underlying causes. He was right of course but I still occasionally use it. It's 'eating' characteristic amounts to just pushing the beasts back to their lairs for a while, giving them time to plan a stratgegy for mounting their next attack.

I awoke this a.m. deciding I'll purchase some Finacea today - have nothing to lose xcept my quickly falling Cdn dollar. Might as well spend the few remaining in my rapidly vanishing investment porfolio. If I wait any longer, I may just have pennies left by the time it arrives from Auz.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |