Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

HELP: cracks/blisters @ corners of mouth
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi carekate
I just read this whole post and I was going to put in my two cents...sounds like you "found" out what was causing them. I experienced the same thing a few months back when I starting sitting in my hot tub all the time....I was worried about being "sick" or some disease, when we told me that even know it sounded simple, I had really never thought about it. He said because my lips are getting extremely chapped (even know they did not feel chapped, maybe a little) he said they are dry and the corners of your mouth are really sensitive. He suggested I keep my lips moist with some sort of lip cream. Which is really hard at work, because I am drinking water and talking etc. I lube my lips up at night really thick, with plain old chapstick. I put a lot in the corners to and go to sleep. Since it is really waxy, it stays on all night and ever since, I have not had those cracks. Just a thought.... Embarassed
kayla
5% products discount

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
FYI - just because abreva did not help, doesn't mean it wasn't a cold sore. abreva has never helped me. for cold sores, i have to use prescribed products like zivorax and acyclovir.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
While I don't get blisters or cracks, when i do get very chapped lips the ONLY thing that cures it overnight is lanoline. I buy a jar of pure lanoline (this btw will last you forever) and I use it at night, since its thick, and in the morning any drying of lips or chappness is gone..poof gone...worst case is it might take 2 nights. I hope this helps.

Melissa
praia98
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
You know, it might *be* the toothpaste! I haven’t switched brands or anything because if I use anything other than Mentadent (baking soda and peroxide-based) I get these horrible little ‘scummy strings’ on the sides of my mouth that makes it feel likeyou could lick actually layers off the inside of your cheeks – yes, it’s as disgusting as it sounds!

Anyway, I’m still using the Mentadent brand, but a couple weeks ago I bought a new version called “Advanced Whitening/Liquid Enamel” formula or something like that and – now that I think about it – it has a peppermint flavor so that might be why I can’t get these blister/cracks to heal if I’m correct about having an allergy to products containing peppermint around my mouth. I cut out that plumping lip gloss because it had peppermint, but I didn’t even think about my toothpaste. Duh!! *slaps forehead in frustration* It seems that these blisters appeared around the same time as I got that toothpaste.......

BTW, another fruit that does I number on my mouth is fresh pineapple. I love it dearly, but if I eat too much of it at one time, at almost feels like the inside of my mouth has been flash-burned or suffered some type of chemical burn! Sad

I've gotten these before, other winters, and I know what you were going through w/ the splitting.

Regarding the toothpaste string thing LOL that happens to me when I try other brands of toothpaste. A few weeks ago I used some whitening toothpaste the other day and now I'm in a cycle of chapped lips which tea tree oil and antibiotic cream helped calm and Carmex is finishing off the cure. It was while trying to find a way to help the super chapped lips that I found this site Smile

We must be twins Very Happy, pineapple bugs me too, it makes my head hurt, not as much as missing my coffee, afellow caffeine addict. LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
[quote="carekate"]
lianne wrote:
Also, I think I can safely rule out orange juice or other citrus juices because the only liquid I consume with obsessive regularity (excluding water, which I don’t drink nearly enough of!) is Dr. Pepper. If they had a twelve-step program to break the dependency on a sugary, caffeinated beverage, I would be attending the meetings every week, so bad is my * spam alert *! Embarassed

LMAO Laughing I was reading this thread because now I unfortunately have one of these little mouth cracks and this made me laugh. Up until about 5 years ago I was completely addicted to DP. I was drinking 6-8 per day! Shock Well, back then I was about to take a 7-night cruise and since softdrinks cost an extra $3-4 a piece I didn't want to blow another $100 on DP's and most cruise lines don't carry it anyway, I decided that two weeks before the trip I would cut myself off cold turkey. I figured that way I would be through any withdrawal symptoms before the trip (so sad isn't it?). Well, by the time I got back from my trip, I had been off of them for 3 weeks and just decided at that point to continue. What's even sadder about my * spam alert * is that for the entire first year off of DP I would occassionally have nightmares where I would take a sip of someone's and be addicted all over again. That's why I've never taken even one sip since!

Five years later I still crave them every once in a while. Especially cherry vanilla DP from Sonic...my HG of DP! I used to get those in Route 44's and called it my bottle cause I was always sucking on it. Laughing I really only think about it though when I go to dinner and see someone with me get one. They look so yummy bubbling over that ice. Cans don't bother me since I can't actually see that sweet syrupy nectar! It was so funny the other day because my bf randomly asked me what I'd order if I was on death row and having my "last meal". I immediately said "Dr. Pepper"!

Yes, I know I'm weird. Rolling Eyes Laughing
canadianspagirl

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
I don't know where you are from, but in Canada we have recently had a prevention approved that is a GOD SEND. My siblings and I have suffered from cold sores most of our life, and I personally would never recommend Abreva - only recently available in Canada by the way - but it made my cold sores much worse. My sister has tried pretty well everything and suffers from one to two cold sores a season plus when she has an actual cold or flu they crop up. So she has recently bought this Intercept CS "thing" available from Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada for prevention. She says it works.
If your issue is really the herpes viral cold sore, and you get that tingly itchy feeling all too well known to be the start of a cold sore you apply this heat contraption to the area a couple of times and you don't get the blister. At all.
My sister urged me to try it and she swears by it. I'm gonna!
adrianaL
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
try abreva or rub a L-lysine pill on your blisters, my husband told me to that and the same day the blister became flat and was gone the next day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
canadianspagirl wrote:
My sister has tried pretty well everything and suffers from one to two cold sores a season plus when she has an actual cold or flu they crop up. So she has recently bought this Intercept CS "thing" available from Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada for prevention. She says it works.
If your issue is really the herpes viral cold sore, and you get that tingly itchy feeling all too well known to be the start of a cold sore you apply this heat contraption to the area a couple of times and you don't get the blister. At all.

I've been waiting to hear if anyone has tried the Intercept. I'm so glad to hear it works so well for your sister. I have something similiar, it's called "The Cold Sore Eliminator", and it works great! Reading about the Intercept, it looks like it can only be used before a sore surfaces (which can happen if you miss the tingling stage). The one I have doesn't use heat, and can be used at any stage. For anyone that is not familiar with these gadgets, they work by breaking down the barrier that a cold sore forms around itself, thereby allowing your immune system to attack the herpes virus. These devices really seem to work, and I agree with you that they are a GOD SEND for anyone that suffers from cold sores.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:44 am      Reply with quote
kls wrote:
canadianspagirl wrote:
My sister has tried pretty well everything and suffers from one to two cold sores a season plus when she has an actual cold or flu they crop up. So she has recently bought this Intercept CS "thing" available from Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada for prevention. She says it works.

I've been waiting to hear if anyone has tried the Intercept. I'm so glad to hear it works so well for your sister. I have something similiar, it's called "The Cold Sore Eliminator", and it works great! Reading about the Intercept, it looks like it can only be used before a sore surfaces (which can happen if you miss the tingling stage). The one I have doesn't use heat, and can be used at any stage. For anyone that is not familiar with these gadgets, they work by breaking down the barrier that a cold sore forms around itself, thereby allowing your immune system to attack the herpes virus. These devices really seem to work, and I agree with you that they are a GOD SEND for anyone that suffers from cold sores.
That's very interesting -- I hadn't heard of these devices here in the U.S., but it just could be because I haven't been "looking" for anything like that. As I beleive I previously stated, my mouth corner blister/cracks are actually severely dry skin that then becomes infected by the bacteria in the mouth. I think I've actually only had 1-2 true fever blisters/cold sores in my entire life -- knock on wood! But my mom gets them so I'll have to keep an eye out for this Interceptor thingy. You know who could use one? Katie -- oops, I mean KATE -- Holmes! During her entire pregnancy, she was always being photographed with horrible fever blisters. Of course, it's probably against Scientologists beliefs to use anything like that because L.Ron Hubbard didn't invent it.... Confused

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate-
From what I've read, the Intercept CS is only available in Canada at Shopper's Drug Mart.
The Cold Sore Eliminator is sold online from the States. If you do a search on "cold sore eliminator" it comes up with sponsored links. Note: I just did that search and I see that they have changed the name to "cold sore inhibitor". It costs 129.95 with a 1 year warranty. That sounds like a lot of money, but this little gadget works so well I would pay much more for it now that I know how well it works. I will never be without one, it's really that good. If by chance you decide to get one of these, let me know, I've found a few tricks on making sure the treatment works effectively.
LisaS986

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
I've had the same problem for almost a month! I was putting moisturizer/lip stuff on like nothing else and it was getting a little better but wouldnt go away.

I got a facial last week and I talked to the lady and she suggested a product- comfort zone skin resonance concentrate (google to find where to buy it)

it's kinda pricey but she said it lasts forever and you only need to use a little at a time- a little goes a long way- so I went and bought it. I've used it 2-3 days and my blisters are almost completely gone. :)
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:18 am      Reply with quote
I used to get these pesky cracks at the corner of the mouth sometimes, and some years back finally did an online search which suggested they are often fungal related ... ugh!

Anyway, I tried applying a tiny amount of Canesten cream (clotrimazol) 2/3 times a day and it cleared up almost immediately. Now on the rare occasion when I think one is forming I apply a small dab of Canesten and I haven’t had a problem since. I also try to keep the area dry.

I think the theory is that moisture/saliva often gathers at the corner of the mouth, creating an ideal environment for the fungus. Is anyone grossed out? I know I am Laughing
AZGirl
5% products discount

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
I thought it was because I had used Retin A too often around the mouth area.
Never thought it was a fungus.
poolean
5% products discount

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
I usually take B2 or B+ or put Vitamin c powder on the blister, twice a day.
maori101

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
from a sight it suggested using dishwashing liquid to rub the fungi or whatevery away, and then use petroleum jelly to keep the moisture out. Fungi needs moisture to live so well it goes.
However wen i used it it helped at the start but i might of had an allergic reaction or something and it screwed up my skin were i put da dishwashing liquid. So you could try it, on the site it says to have a really high rate of getting rid of it.
Not certain whether its just a hoax thou and i got screwed over:P.
Good luck if you do try it otherwise hope it goes
graceless_lady
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:50 am      Reply with quote
I almost always have this problem every autumn as soon as the cold weather kicks in and we switch the heating on in the house. One year it was so bad and nothing I put on it made it better - in fact, it often made it worse. But like many others on this thread the solution for me was an anti-fungal cream (I used canesten). It cleared up almost immediately.
justbummingaround

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I've been doing a lot of looking around about this. I got the cracks in the corners of my mouth about two weeks ago, although they just turned red a few days ago. It seems that they can be caused by either a fungus or bacteria. With that in mind it makes sense why different things work for different people. I'm onto tea tree oil with Vitamin E, Zinc supplements, multi-vitamin and extra iron with B Vitamins, and Carmex. The Carmex is because I can't move my mouth without it. This seems to be helping, but if it doesn't work soon I'm going to have to resort to the yeast infection cream. The idea of that seems so bloody weird though...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Before you resort to that, buy some Nizoral dandruff shampoo. It contains an anti-fungal and is very effective for those little cracks...just wash them with it a few times a day. My dermatologist recommended the Nizoral, and it works very well. And it is way cheaper that the yeast-infection cream.

I have had a systemic yeast infection for a gazillion years now, and every time I eat too many carbs I break out in a rash under my breasts and the little cracks appear on my mouth. I whip out the Nizoral, and everything is cleared up in a couple of days.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:59 am      Reply with quote
Bethany, carbs and Nizoral???? Do you put the N. under your breasts, too? I have this problem sometimes and don't know why or what to do. Please share anything you know. It's very annoying, TIA
justbummingaround

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Thank-you Bethany!

I picked up some Nizoral last night and washed the splits with it last night and this morning. Not only is it a lighter pink now, but I can move my mouth better. I've ditched the tea tree oil and Carmex too and am just using some natural lip balm. The Carmex is supposed to be pretty addicting so even if it seems to help it's better not to get better just to have the problem come back once I go off it.

I think my problem is linked to diet too. I get skin problems if I have too much sugar or wheat.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
existential lady wrote:
Bethany, carbs and Nizoral???? Do you put the N. under your breasts, too? I have this problem sometimes and don't know why or what to do. Please share anything you know. It's very annoying, TIA

Anytime I eat a significant number of carbs, the yeast kicks into overdrive since carbs (or any kind of sugar) feeds them. I usually don't get the typical yeast infection symptoms...I just break out in a rash under my breasts (it looks like heat rash), the bottoms of my feet itch horribly, and I occasionally get the cracks at the corner of my mouth. I use Nizoral as a wash in any impacted areas anytime I have an outbreak.

I have had the systemic yeast infection for 20+ years, and believe I got it from taking low-dosage antibiotics for many years to keep acne at bay. I have pretty much learned that I can't eradicate it (even after 3 months straight on daily Diflucan) and just have to manage to it through my diet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
justbummingaround wrote:
Thank-you Bethany!

I picked up some Nizoral last night and washed the splits with it last night and this morning. Not only is it a lighter pink now, but I can move my mouth better. I've ditched the tea tree oil and Carmex too and am just using some natural lip balm. The Carmex is supposed to be pretty addicting so even if it seems to help it's better not to get better just to have the problem come back once I go off it.

I think my problem is linked to diet too. I get skin problems if I have too much sugar or wheat.

Definitely keep doing it for a few days...I hope it works for you!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
again Very Happy thanks Bethany for your info. I have those irritating cracks too and have just been putting up with them. And they look so icky when you try to cover up with makeup.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
You are very welcome. Smile

Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
Interestingly, it was healing steadily after I started using the Nizoral but I ate a fair bit of bread and noodles last night and today while visiting family and the splits have widened and gotten sore again. When it was healing well I had been cutting anything with wheat or yeast out of my diet. Definitely related to carbs for me too. Possibly sugar too since I did have birthday cake and wine last night.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |