Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
:: Review :: Dermalogica Active Moist
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hey All!

So all of you have heard me complain about the ultra-dry weather I've been under . . . I've been THIS close [imagine my thumb and index finger touching each other] to rubbing cooking oil on myself just to get some moisture back on my skin!

I bought some baby oil with chamomile the other day . . . but it leaves this really oily and greasy texture on my skin. My boyfriend leaned in to kiss my cheek and I had to warn him that he was going to partake in some Johnson & Johnson "dessert" . . . it's really thick and greasy.

I bought Dermalogica's Active Moist at a nearby spa the other day because it sounded very promising . . . and IT IS. It is a LIGHT texture, but goodness gracious, it is MOISTURIZING. I LOVE IT.

I have started to use Dermalogica's Oil Control Lotion (with salicylic acid) under my make-up but it's still too irritating / drying with this weather condition. I've used the Active Moist and it's PERFECT -- it's NOT oily and it keeps my face and neck moisturized throughout the day! And that "stinging" feeling I've been getting around my eyes is gone now, too! The best thing is that you don't have to gunk this lotion on -- just use a normal amount and your skin will thank you for it.

So for the members that were wanting me to update you on how I'm re-moisturizing my face: ACTIVE MOIST. I really didn't believe it would be so moisturizing when I squeezed it out of the tube -- it's a white, gel-y textured lotion -- but your skin will drink it up. And it doesn't break me out or anything -- include the sensitive areas of my neck! I love this stuff!

The only thing I wish the Active Moist did was give a "tingly" feeling (Minty Twin, stop laughing at me), but I guess we can't win them all, can we? The Oil Control Lotion gives the minty tingle, which is why I love it so much, but it's too drying in this weather so I'll have to wait a bit longer before I can use it regularly.

After about 2 uses of the Active Moist my skin is back to its normal texture and moisture! =D

Lisa
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa,
I bought the Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion on your recommendation, but I'm afraid to try it right now with my cheeks still recovering from an irritation I just experienced. And you just added another reason for me to wait, by stating it's too drying and not moisturizing enough in this snowy winter weather in our neck of the woods! I can totally sympathize with you when you say you want to rub cooking oil on your skin! I feel exactly the same. My skin doesn't even seem oily-combo, but more like dry-dehydrated. I feel like I should start using products geared toward dry skin! Anyway I'm saving the Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion for the spring/summer.
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Thoughtcrime,

You will LOVE the oil control lotion, but definitely don't apply it on sensitive or dry skin right now as it'll only dry it out more. It's very soothing despite the salicylic acid, though. I guess it's the minty feeling that's soothing. I think it would be perfect without salicylic acid ha ha ha.

I agree with what you said about your skin not feeling oily-combo anymore. I feel like I need to invest in a whole bunch of "sensitive" and "dry skin" products due to my skin chafing and drying out. Just use a stronger-than-your-usual moisturizer and you should be fine. I usually use Yonka's Pamplemousse creme but that has stopped "moisturizing" me lately so I went for the Active Moist, and voila, my skin is back to normal. The Pamplemousse is for normal to oily skin so I figured it's still trying to stop the oil production in my skin -- when I really need the oil to COME BACK. Yeah, who'd have thought I would want the oiliness to come back . . . I just need some MOISTURE! Smile

Hope you're finding an effective way to keep moisturized in the cold weather,
Lisa
Mabsy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, ok I just can't resist. I'm going to have to get a sample of the Oil Control Lotion. Gotta check out that minty tingle.... I'll take myself to a salon next week and see if they have any samples.

I've got a few samples of Active Moist in my bathroom but after reading your post I might leave them for when winter gets here.

Mabsy.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy, out of curiosity what are Australian winters like?
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:12 am      Reply with quote
You ladies have really confirmed for me that our skins behave differently in the wintertime to what we're usually used to. The combined cold weather and heating just saps all the moisture out of our skins Sad

I liked Active Moist too Chunlisa and I knew it would be perfect for Oilier skins, it's such a nice light cream. It's not really 'enough' for my normal/ dry skin though, I need my Phytomer Reinforcee for Dry skin. :P

Thoughtcrime, allow me to answer re Aussie winters-- in Sydney, the coldest temps we would get would be 10 degrees, colder as you get further west into mountains but as we're a coastal city our winters are really mild-- nothing compared to the freezing sub-zero temperatures in the USA!! Surprised I shiver when I read about you guys entrenched in snow and chilly winds.... that's another thing Sydney-siders will never see-- snow, however we do also get snow elsewhere in another part of this state. I envy Mabsy as she lives in Queensland and get 'warmer' winters Cool . BTW, are you still headed this way to our part of the world??

Summertimegirl Smile

thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl, it's so nice to hear from you! We are trying out hardest to go to your part of the world, I'm hoping I can get a better deal, and trying to save. We'll see... Right now tickets are almost $2000 U.S. dollars!

Have you tried Phytomer Accept soothing skin cream or the neutralizing cream? My skin is recovering from some kind of allergic reaction. And this icy, chilly, snowy, inclement weather is not helping one bit! I envy you and Mabsy-- I wish I was in Australia right now, sigh.... I'd be lookin like this Cool
instead of like this Surprised
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcrime

Have you tried Phytomer Accept soothing skin cream or the neutralizing cream? My skin is recovering from some kind of allergic reaction. And this icy, chilly, snowy, inclement weather is not helping one bit! I envy you and Mabsy-- I wish I was in Australia right now, sigh.... I'd be lookin like this Cool

Hi Thoughtcrime,

I've tried the Phytomer Accept soothing cream, I found a sample of it looking through my Printemps shopping stash (the French are very generous and ingenious when it comes to giving samples)... and what perfect timing, my skin was misbehaving with that awful breakout from the Christmas holidays. I applied this soothing pale green cream morning and at night, and it brought down a lot of the redness in that area. I would have continued to use this until all traces of my breakout had died but it was only a sample....be as it may, it was enough to see that the reaction had subsided by a great deal. The formula is better for sensitive/ oilier skin I think as it is light, and it had a pleasant herbal scent which I liked-- I know you're close to a Sephora (lucky girl!) and if the ingrediants are OK, maybe you should pick up a sample to try.

WOW! I didn't know it costed $US 2000 to fly to Oz, is it usually that much? It's about the same to fly to Europe from here and Europe's not cheap. I hope you can get a better deal-- in Australia we have a travel agent called Flight Centre who guarrantee to beat any fare you are quoted, so it pays to shop around, you can sometimes end up with a little bidding war as they're more than keen to get you a seat. Hopefully you can get here to enjoy some of the Aussie summer, even Autumn is great-- fingers crossed X Very Happy

Summertimegirl Wink
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,
WSurprisedW the Phytomer Accept soothing cream sounds like it did wonders for your skin, and my skin is sensitive-combo. so it sounds perfect! Forget about a sample, you've convinced me already to buy it (the nice thing is, Sephora lets you return products after trying it if you're not satisfied)!
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, this cream also got perfect reviews on MUA.
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thoughtcrime,

I hope you give a review of it once you've tried it, and I hope it helps your skin as it sounds like it's in need of a little TLC at the moment. Smile

I was actually going to get a tube of this in France but I changed my mind for the Phytomer Reinforcee, only because I didn't think I had sensitive skin that was prone to redness and reactions but the ladies still gave me a sample to try and I'm thankful they did! It's good that Sephora allows you to return products if they don't work-- nothing to lose!

Summertimegirl Wink
Mabsy

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:10 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I envy you and Mabsy-- I wish I was in Australia right now, sigh.... I'd be lookin like this Cool

ROFL! I love your ingenious use of emoticons Thoughtcrime!

Oh how I wish there was an emoticon that looked like a sweaty tired face! :P We've had a lot of rain and some fierce thunderstorms (let's just say I spent a few hours cleaning up afterwards). I've lived here for so many years and I have still not seen anything this bad (cyclones not included of course!). Pouring rain, golf ball sized hail.. even a mini tornado a few suburbs away (Tornado!? In Australia?! What is going on!?). Result today? HOT (36 degress Celsius), STICKY, HUMID and, as I type, I hear thunder. Here's hoping we won't loose power again and all the trees in the neighbour's yards decide to hold on for their life.
Mabsy

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Mabsy, out of curiosity what are Australian winters like?

Thoughtcrime,

Luckily, being in QLD our winters are warmer than what Summertimegirl experiences Smile I used to live in Canberra and that was pretty cold (well by Aussie standards NOT by Polish standards Smile). In Brisbane we have a few nights when it does get to 0 Celsius, sometimes even -1 or -2. But during the day it's about 15 degrees I would say Cool

Mabsy
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:25 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:

Pouring rain, golf ball sized hail.. even a mini tornado a few suburbs away (Tornado!? In Australia?! What is going on!?). Result today? HOT (36 degress Celsius), STICKY, HUMID and, as I type, I hear thunder.

WSurprisedW can't even imagine! But on a positive note, I hear that people who live in humid weather have the best skin that's always moisturized. Sounds like we're both in extreme opposite weather--15 degrees fahrenheit here in Detroit. (I know the U.S. is backwards! But sorry I don't know the celsius connversions off the top of my head)
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:09 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mabsy
Tornado!? In Australia?! What is going on!

We had three bonafied tornadoes touch down in Hawaii this weekend. That is definitely not normal.

Is this the end of the world?SurprisedSurprisedSurprised (Cue Alohagirl diving under the bed.)
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Yeah what's going on Girls?! It was forecasted for thunderstorms this week in Sydney but we miraculously managed to escape it-- don't know how!! Instead Mabsy ended up with it in Brissie, it's crazy! Surprised

On Thoughtcrime's note re humid weather and great skin, I heard that too so Mabsy would be getting a good dose of humidity and lush skin at the moment, but it's Jenny and the other girls who live in Singapore and Malaysia that are lucky as it's humid all year round as every season is summer. Alohagirl to me has the most envious place to live except for the tornadoes! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Summertimegirl x
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All --

Just an update on the Active Moist. I cannot begin to tell you how AWESOME a moisturizer this is. I don't think I've ever had a moisturizer act so wonderfully.

First, it is not greasy -- even after a day of wear. I usually like to use Dermalogica's Oil Control Lotion underneath my make-up but the combination of the cold weather and the oil control lotion has been drying out my skin. So I've been using the Active Moist underneath my Bare Escentuals for about a week now and I LOVE THE RESULTS. There is NO grease to wipe away -- its effect is as good as the oil control lotion (most likely because my usually oily skin is very dry nowadays).

But my skin feels so soft and supple these days due to Active Moist. Yonka's Pamplemousse -- though it smells DEEEEEELICIOUS and helps moisturize my skin -- still leaves the "oily" film after a few hours of application. The Active Moist DOESN'T. It really MOISTURIZES -- but it also doesn't make you greasy! I don't get it! But I LOVE IT!

I will have to see the results in the summer time when the weather is hotter and more humid . . . just to see whether the Active Moist really responds well to the environment or whether it just works really well with my dry skin.

Lisa
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 6:40 am      Reply with quote
it's true that a few hours after application of this product, no oil film on my face as usual....
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Yay! For someone who has no intention of using this, I can't tell you how happy I am that it's getting good reviews! Somehow I have a negative gut reaction to active moist. I think I read somewhere that although it's the lightest lotion dermalogica has, it's not the best for sensitive skin, it has some potentially irritating ingredients.

Anyway, my sister loves this stuff. She's convinced that it helps her skin. At some point she was consistently using dermalogica products (including this lotion) and it is true her skin was markedly better during that time. She recently bought a large size of this product and I wasn't impressed. I'm so glad that other people like it!
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2008 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I received my active moist yesterday & I love it. it gives my skin just the right amount of moisture and it sinks into my skin (as opposed to just sitting on top). I love it!
sleepylily
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm wondering if this is good for combination-oily skin? Weather here is dry, and some moisturizers which are supposed to work for comb-oily are not enough for me...
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 21, 2008 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
sleepylily wrote:
I'm wondering if this is good for combination-oily skin? Weather here is dry, and some moisturizers which are supposed to work for comb-oily are not enough for me...

I have combo/dry skin. It isn't enough on my dry patches (which appear during winter) but overall it is enough for me..

Best thing is to try and get a sample of it either through dermalogica or EDS.
wancy_2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 12:06 am      Reply with quote
I so glad that you can find a moisturizer that suit you. Besides, have you tried Skinceuticals B5 gel, it is also good at moisturizing.
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
is Skinceuticals B5 gel similiar to cellex B B5 gel?
samanthalow
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
I received some samples of Active Moist from the dermalogical counter in London and I quite liked this moisturiser. I have oily skin which is prone to break out. This moisturiser does not break me out at all and does its job at moisturising my skin. It's quite a good product.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |