Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Good Sunscreen Article (UVA, UVB, etc.)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Sormuimui Also, I'm not sure if any of u noticed that your guy frds around u seem to have nice and flawless skin but they don't use sunscreen at all!! Shock So I'm always wondering if UV rays are damaging to the skin, how come those guys can get away with it? Question

true... Rolling Eyes
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:
Sormuimui Also, I'm not sure if any of u noticed that your guy frds around u seem to have nice and flawless skin but they don't use sunscreen at all!! Shock So I'm always wondering if UV rays are damaging to the skin, how come those guys can get away with it? Question

true... Rolling Eyes

men have thicker skin though and their hormones don't diminish so early in life as in women.

I've met a lot of Australian men with horrid, horrid skin (apologies Australian men wave ) so it's those ethnic/genetic differences in play again. European type skin in that kind of sun doesn't hold up well.
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:24 am      Reply with quote
sounds logical! Laughing
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:18 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:
Well that's what I noticed in general with most Asians guys and girls. My mom never wore sunscreen in her life and she looks at least 10 years younger than her age, she doesn't even have a wrinkle, only very very shallow crows feet on her eyes and she's 51! That's why sometimes I wonder whether it's really necessary but then I read a lot of scientific articles on how UV rays really damage the immunity of your skin which probably affects other aspects apart from aging. And since I have problem skin in the first place, it's probably better to tread on the side of precaution. That's my personal opinion on it anyways.

You are so very true Sormuimui! My mom never really wear ss all her life and she doesn't have very bad deep wrinkles. She only got those expression lines and that's it. And yeah I always heard that girls aged faster than guys unfortunately Sad

Btw, do any of u apply ss around the eyes area? I'm afraid it'll cause blocked pores but if I don't apply it, it defeats the purpose of sun protection.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
sormuimui wrote:
Well that's what I noticed in general with most Asians guys and girls. My mom never wore sunscreen in her life and she looks at least 10 years younger than her age, she doesn't even have a wrinkle, only very very shallow crows feet on her eyes and she's 51! That's why sometimes I wonder whether it's really necessary but then I read a lot of scientific articles on how UV rays really damage the immunity of your skin which probably affects other aspects apart from aging. And since I have problem skin in the first place, it's probably better to tread on the side of precaution. That's my personal opinion on it anyways.

You are so very true Sormuimui! My mom never really wear ss all her life and she doesn't have very bad deep wrinkles. She only got those expression lines and that's it. And yeah I always heard that girls aged faster than guys unfortunately Sad

Btw, do any of u apply ss around the eyes area? I'm afraid it'll cause blocked pores but if I don't apply it, it defeats the purpose of sun protection.

I do. I use the SVR 50 around my eyes. It doesn't irritate them.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
I do, but I have yet to buy a thick sunscreen. I'm still using my Clarins UV40 for the time being until I get my butt out to buy an Avene. I'll let you know once I try, I'm very prone to little bumps under my eyes. But I also use Vit C in the AM which probably helps as well since it complements ss in sun protection.
jadecoin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Sun protection is one of the single most important things you can do to prevent and even reverse photo-aging of the skin。UVC wavelengths are the shortest ultraviolet rays, extending from 100nm to 290nm, and are the most carcinogenic。Choosing an Effective Sunscreen Is necessary
jadecoin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I have yet to buy a thick sunscreen。I like DDF Each time goes out me to use. Most likes the sign is DDF ,Did not know that has same as me?
cc428
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I checked out the website provided for the member who opened this thread, and found that all the sunscreens they sell contains Cyclomethicone- which is a form on silicone. This is meant to be a pore-clogging element.
I've tried a few japanese sunscreens which were very light weighted and provides a matt finish, but i ended up with clogged pores with all of them!! Then only to find that they all contain Cyclomethicone.

The website states those sunscreens are non-comdogenic and also suitable for oily skins...i was close to buying the Avene sunscreen but stopped when i saw its ingredients! Does any one who has really oily skin found that it clogs their pores or not??

im currently using ASAP spf 30+ sunscreen. It does not consists of any silicone what so ever so i never get clogged pores with using it. The bad thing though is that it's texture is quite thick, and also it doesnt have a PPD rating.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:43 am      Reply with quote
there are 2 kinds of ultraviolet rays the UVA and the UVB, one of them -not sure which- is responsible for wrinkles while the other make the skin burn or tan
jessicahe
5% products discount

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
I don't like sunscreen.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Here r some guidelines when not using sunscreen:

avoid sun exposure from 10am - 2pm. that's when the uv rays are highest.

u can stay for 15 minutes (max)in the sun without the skin being compromised. ( I need to double check on this one though)
yy3506
5% products discount

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
i plan to buy Ultrasun sunscreen products. Has anyone used it?
vivian.vl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
jessicahe wrote:
I don't like sunscreen.

Neither do I! However, we have to... so I'm looking for some sunscreen which can make me happy...
vivian.vl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
Can anybody help me analyze why Avene's sunscreen only protect UVA and PPD, but not including UVB?

Thanks a lot!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:38 am      Reply with quote
vivian.vl wrote:
Can anybody help me analyze why Avene's sunscreen only protect UVA and PPD, but not including UVB?

Thanks a lot!

surely Avene sunscreens protect from both UVA and UVB. what product are you referring to?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:12 am      Reply with quote
How about Melashade..anyone tried it???
Lou Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Loumomofthree wrote:
How about Melashade..anyone tried it???
Lou Smile

I know bethany is using it and likes it.
I am also interested in this product but the international shipping from lovelyskin.com is ridiculously expensive Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
Hi there,

I posted on another thread that my friends website (that JUST openened about 5 minutes ago) would be selling European sunscreens. And that she would have good info. about sunscreens. She knows the most about that subject of anyone I know!

Anyway, there's still a couple glitchy things on the website and I can't see the graphs in this article, but I wanted to post it anyway--it's a great article.
http://www.skincarecentral.biz/sunscreens-about-.html
P.S. She also offers a 20% discount on her other (non-sunscreen) products.... Very Happy

P.S.S. I am not affiliated with this company in any way and receive no benefit from posting this information, except the joy of passing on good info. that is... Very Happy
This is a good article but I do disagree with the application of powder on top of the sunscreen. Sunscreen is always the LAST thing you put on your face. Now some of you are thinking, okay, what about makeup application. This is what to do. Just buy a liquid foundation with the spf in it already! How easy is that?!
seabliss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
SusieQ, while it is true that mineral sunblocks are better applied last, because they sit on top of the skin, chemical sunscreens should be applied with very little underneath, because they must be absorbed into the skin in order to work.

Also, the amount and quality of sunscreen in a foundation is far too low to provide adequate protection. Not to mention that most people do not cover their face with foundation.

A sunscreen should be a separate product, not in a foundation or a moisturizer, in order to provide good protection.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
seabliss wrote:
SusieQ, while it is true that mineral sunblocks are better applied last, because they sit on top of the skin, chemical sunscreens should be applied with very little underneath, because they must be absorbed into the skin in order to work.

Also, the amount and quality of sunscreen in a foundation is far too low to provide adequate protection. Not to mention that most people do not cover their face with foundation.

A sunscreen should be a separate product, not in a foundation or a moisturizer, in order to provide good protection.
This is true, and I agree with that, but I was thinking along the line of a spf 15 tinted moisturizer. Ones that come to mind are always MAC, Bobbi Browns, and Revlons. You can very easily wear these all over and it won't look heavy looking at all.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
there are 2 kinds of ultraviolet rays the UVA and the UVB, one of them -not sure which- is responsible for wrinkles while the other make the skin burn or tan

I always remember the difference this way:
UVA are what causes Aging
UVB are what causes Burning.

And you must have bothr proper protection.
seabliss
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
This is true, and I agree with that, but I was thinking along the line of a spf 15 tinted moisturizer. Ones that come to mind are always MAC, Bobbi Browns, and Revlons. You can very easily wear these all over and it won't look heavy looking at all.

Tinted moisturizers are lovely! But spf 15 is not adequate protection. Also, spf only describes UVB protection. A sunscreen also needs a high ppd, which describes the UVA protection. Most U.S. sunscreens do not have a high ppd. You have to look for the ones that do or buy from overseas.

There is a lot of information about sunscreen and adequate protection to be found on the forums and notepads at makeupalley.com, if you are interested in checking out a little bit of research. Since sun damage is responsible for over 90% of skin aging and since skin cancer is becoming more and more prevalent among all skin tones, good sunscreen is important for vanity and health! Smile
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 am      Reply with quote
vivian.vl wrote:

Thanks a lot!

Avene does offer uvb protection. Not sure why you think it dosent??

Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |