Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

has anyone tried bearberries to stop melanin formation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
radiohead
5% products discount

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
i've been doing all types of research for a safe way to stop the production of melanin. so far i've found Bearberries. take a look at this link...
anyone ever had bearberries?
http://www.bastyr.edu/academic/botmed/arctostaphylos_uva_ursi.asp

p.s
i found this other skin forum..www.askmehelpdesk.com
one of the members of that forum gave me this link. has anyone seen this? anyone tried it?

http://www.skinlighteningreport.com/index.html

thoughts, comments...
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Uva Ursi has been used for centuries in India and other parts of Asia by women to lighten their complexions. But I have never heard of it being ingested - only used topically in soaps and oils. Very interesting! I checked out the second link about the e-book on skin lighteneing. I don't know...you could probably do your own research and come up with the same information:
licorice, lemon, boric acid & cider vinegar, you know...stuff your grandma tells you.
Check out this website: It sounds like the exact same thing, but they tell you the ingredients:
http://www.skinbleaching.net/faq.htm
radiohead
5% products discount

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:42 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka, i was giving more thought to that e-book. Rolling Eyes Im not sure what to think about it anymore. I think i might buy it. maybe there's something in there that hasn't been said. You can get your money back within 90 days.
About the bearberries, im going to give it a go.I just need to find a grocery store that sells them.

taken from the link i posted up above:

Melanin synthesis: Arbutin causes depigmentation in humans by blocking melanosomal tyrosinase activity. This can "bleach" freckles and assist with hyperpigmentary disorders.

Preparations and Doses
Moderate infusion, 1/3 cup qd, use for 4 days (1).

The Canadian Journal of Health and Nutrition offered several preparation methods for Uva Ursi:

Uva ursi tea is made by pouring half a litre (sic) of boiling water over 28 grams of the finely cut or coarsely powdered herb. This should be steeped for 20 minutes. The tea can also be made by soaking the leaves in cold water for six to 12 hours. This is an advantage if marshmallow root is added. It will extract the mucilages without the starch and minimize the extraction of tannins from the uva ursi. One cup of the infusion can be drunk three times a day (9)
They also state that 1 gram be taken 3-6 times per day to get an average of 400-800 mg of arbutin in a day (9).

Terry Willard provides dosage data for several product forms:

Powder - 20-60 grams
Infusion - 3-5 oz.
Tincture - 10-20 drops
Fluid extract - ½ - 1 tsp.
The infusion can also be used as a douche for vaginal inflammation and sitz baths after childbirth. Uva Ursi is also indicated topically for skin rashes so can be made into a salve or poultice (7).

Safety
Don't use consecutively for more than 14 days (Cool. Excess of hydroxyquinone can cause vertigo, vomiting, convulsions, and collapse. However, doses as high as 20 grams have produced no adverse effects in healthy individuals (9). Urine may turn green but is harmless (7). If used with other diuretics, there may be a significant loss of electrolytes (2). Tannins will also inhibit optimal nutrient uptake in the intestines (5).

p.s
it's insane how there's whitening pills. that link that you posted,pbsadhaka, sounds and looks like their the real deal. Those pills are priceeee Exclamation
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Radiohead -

I just ordered the book - for $20 it's a nice tool to have, and you get access to her forum which specifically deals with hyperpigmentation/melasma issues.

My issue is definitely not to lighten my skin - I am as fair as fair can be (and I'm full blooded Italian?????), but I have pretty bad melasma on both cheeks -never been on birth control, haven't been pregnant in twelve years, so I'm attributing it to sun abuse and hormonal changes - as I just turned 42.

My skin is in great shape except for this nasty hyperpigmentation. I've just started on the IS Clinical line in hoping that will jump start things. It's really a great line!

She does have some new ideas and home potions that seem to be helping a lot of people - mixes of cucumber and lemon, soy milk, and things like mandelic acid and niamanicide (sp??) have all helped too.

$20 to me was a drop in the bucket compared to all of the OTC and RX products I have spent money on only to find they didn't work.

Let me know what you do!!! Maybe I'll see you over there!

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm...sounds interesting. If you are looking for a good supplier for herbs, check out Starwest. I know they carry Uva Ursi. I don't know if they sell retail, but their prices are good & I like that their herbs are certified organic. They are of VERY high quality & their customer service department is second-to-none.
http://www.starwestherb.com/html/prodlist_organic.html

Keep us updated on your progress with the e-book!
radiohead
5% products discount

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
good luck to you Maria Cool keep us updated with your results.

thank you pbsadhaka, for the link!!
i will keep everyone updated about whats good to try and what's not good, what truley works and what doesn't.

p.s
i found these whitening pills. seem very safe and natural. They work just like Bearberries do.

here's the link. click on products and scroll down to Hytiol-C skin care.

http://www.ashburybio.com/
RossD29

Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, just came across this thread whilst investigating the skinbrighteningreport. As there are so many scams out there.

Would you really recommend it MariaV, I know its only $23 but i'm just sceptical about giving my card details to an unknown website.

I would just like to reduce the intensity of freckles on my arms, which i'm sure have been a result of sun exposure.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I've read the report and found it very informative, but I must admit it's nothing that is not already available on the internet through google at no charge. The nice thing about the report is it's a collection of data in one place.
If you want FREE information on ingredients and ppl's experiences for lightening, melasma, vitiligo, etc., you can check out this forum(i'm an admin on it).

http://www.evenskin.com

In regards to bearberry, here's some info on there:
http://www.evenskin.com/viewtopic.php?t=357

and on all lightening ingredients:
http://www.evenskin.com/viewforum.php?f=5

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:04 am      Reply with quote
radiohead wrote:

p.s
i found these whitening pills. seem very safe and natural. They work just like Bearberries do.

here's the link. click on products and scroll down to Hytiol-C skin care.

http://www.ashburybio.com/

Redhead, I must say that's a great find. It's one of the extremely few professional sites I have seen marketing a whitening pill, hytiol-C.(In fact I'll post it on evenskin-thanks). The rest of the skin lightening pill websites are just too risky, because there are MANY SCAMS out there that will even put steroids in the pills to make it work fast without listing it in the ingredients.
Other internal methods are glutathione, NAC(N-Acetyl L-Cysteine) with Vitamin C(helps with absorption) and alpha lipoic acid. You can buy these individually at health food stores/vitamin stores. The problem is it has to be taken in extremely high dosages for lightening; which too much of anything even antioxidants/vitamins is not healthy for your body. One girl had complained when she stopped she had withdrawal symptoms and was in the emergency room the next day. One told me she had pains in her liver area, and although her blood tests were ok - the dr. told her to discontinue glutathione.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Ross -

Fairly hits the nail on the head - I did learn some new tips, and it is great to have it in one place, but Fairly's website (evenskin.com) basically addresses all of the same products/remedies/vitamins that the report suggests.

At the beginning of the book she lists all of the known lightening agents - be chemical or natural, then goes on to suggest routines for you to help in the treatment. Right now I am trying the B3 (niacinimide) mixed w/ MSM lotion to help try to lighten my melasma, and also using the Nucelle Mandelic Acid. I never knew the possible lightening benefits of niacinimide until I read the book, so that at least was something new to me!!! We'll see what happens!

Maria Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
Maria,

I know IPL is expensive but it does work. My daughter had a bad case of melasma. Fortunately I was working in a salon that gave IPL treatments at the time. Before she had IPL she had a series of Glycolic Peel and went on to mircrodermabrasion. Both the GP's and microderm helped but the IPL took away the discoloration on her face completely. She was so happy because it was under control by her wedding. When she got pregnant she did develop a pregnancy mask to an extreme. Her Dermatologist said he never saw one quite like hers. Fortunately, after the birth of her children it did go away. She has to wear an SPF of 30 on her face all the time. She uses Jan Marini's and loves it.

Sometimes I think by the time you spends hundreds of dollars on skincare products you can have a professional treatment. IPL does work.

Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Winnie -

I went as far as going for a consultation for IPL (he was going to do a series of IPL and microderm) , but then I kept getting conflicted stories that it didn't work, made the melasma worse, etc....so I got nervous and cancelled my first appointment.

I never got the "mask" when I was pregnant with Lyss, nor did I ever take birth control (we used the "Catholic method" lol!!!), so I think mine was hormonal (I'm 42) and from years of sun worship. It started to make its appearance when I turned 40.

I am also doing weekly lactic peels, and then was going to try microderm after that....

I have read that IPL doesn't work as well for darker skinned girls, but you can't get any more white then me, so maybe I should revisit the IPL.

There's only one person I know of that does it in NH (the guy I went to) and he was positive he could have helped me! I just chickened out!

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:35 am      Reply with quote
Maria, I have added niacinamide(VItamin B3) to my lightening lotions with wonderful results. I did it on a trial basis by buying supplements and adding the powder from capsules, but that got tedious. There are online suppliers that will sell niacinamide powder(or even NAC is good) in larger quantities, I am thinking of going that route.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
After seeing this post, I went ahead and purchased the skin lightening report and was pleasantly surprised with the results. At this point I thought that I've read and tried everything for melasma with pretty good results.

Per the skin lightening report, I've added L-glutathione and pycnogenol to my msm supplements. The Otentika Hypercreme seems to be very effective as well (and you get a big tub for pretty inexpensively). I've already tried some of the products suggested before reading the report (Godiva, Mandelic and Lactic Acids) but they weren't very effective for me.
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
skin adict, there is a medical study out now that states high percentages of lactic acid over a 3 week period lightened melasma.

It was a very high percentage(92%) up to 6 times total over 3 wks. I know that's awfully high, but I think that lactic acid at smaller percentages overtime used consistently would also help. I'm a fan to lactic rather than harsher glycolic and tca peels personally.

On the Otentika hypercreme, I love it - really worked well for me. Extratone B version. If you want to boost it, I have a formula you can add niacinamide to it. Let me know.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
Maria,

I know IPL is expensive but it does work. My daughter had a bad case of melasma. Fortunately I was working in a salon that gave IPL treatments at the time. Before she had IPL she had a series of Glycolic Peel and went on to mircrodermabrasion. Both the GP's and microderm helped but the IPL took away the discoloration on her face completely. She was so happy because it was under control by her wedding. When she got pregnant she did develop a pregnancy mask to an extreme. Her Dermatologist said he never saw one quite like hers. Fortunately, after the birth of her children it did go away. She has to wear an SPF of 30 on her face all the time. She uses Jan Marini's and loves it.

Sometimes I think by the time you spends hundreds of dollars on skincare products you can have a professional treatment. IPL does work.

Winnie

Maria,

I am Italian/Irish and have light olive skin. My daughter is very fair: Blond,blue eyed. She has her dad skin. My husband is 100% Scottish. I know IPL worked wonders for my daughter. It is too bad that you only have one person who does it where you live. I would like to have a few opinions.

Winnie

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Fairly/Skin Addict:

Yes, I bought the Niacinimide capsules and have been adding them to MSM cream. Also bought Pycnogenol capsules and added them in to a different batch of MSM cream!!! (I've got potions everywhere, including the cucumber and lemon potion in my fridge, which my hubby thought was a urine sample!!!)

I ordered the Otentika too - HUGE tub! Only used it - Fairly, I thought someone on the evenskin board said it wrecked their skin, so I laid off....please advise.

Also been doing the series of Lactic Peels and I think FINALLY I'm starting to have hope! I did my third one today (30% solution) and the series is of six treatments.)

Will keep you all posted!!!

Winnie -

I have not ruled out IPL. Right now, it's the money that's sort of stopping me. I'm going to continue with the above for at least a month and see how I'm doing. If the results are neglible, then I'll try and find the way to revisit IPL. I'm going to check northern Massachusetts to see if there's someone who does IPL there. Driving to Concord, NH is a haul for me!!!

Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
Maria, on Otentika - it's just one of those products where some have complained of breakouts, while others have had no problems with it. It has not been a problem on my skin. I use it on my body, not my face though. If you use on your face, you may want to use caution since it contains mineral oil.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |