Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
sun damage question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
uk man
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2005 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
ok... my question is if u had sun damage like unevene skin tone and lots of freckles .. will ure skin go back to normal after time?
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2005 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, if you use a photostable sunscreen religiously from now on, avoid the sun between 10am - 4pm, and use a prescription topical retinoid to correct the damage.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2005 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
Using a sunscreen is important, but there are many options for fixing sun-damage which are gentler than prescription remedies. Vit C serums are extremely popular on this forum for evening skin-tone and prevention of further sun-damage. Copper peptides also heal/repair skin damage. There's been a lot of research on both of these. There's a ton of other anti-oxidant products on the market which you could also use.
beautyfashaddict
5% products discount

Sat May 07, 2005 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
I disagree, I have freckles around the eye area, Ive tried tri luma, and currently using another prescription from a dermatologist with no luck. Ive tried the Cellex-C with no results. The freckles are still there and I use a sunblock 65 everday. I even tried the Obagi which was too aggravating for my skin and the results were temporary, I dont think its possible to reverse the sun damage.
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2005 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard that Cellex-C is not recommended because it contains Tyrosine, the very thing which converts to melanin.

It also depends what sunblock you are using. If it is not UVA stable, it is not helping at all.

The prescription topical I am thinking of is Retin-A.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2005 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Ok there's a lesson - read the ingredients list!!! I've been using Cellex C for several months as part of my sun protection armoury. (I am a VERY fair redhead and have had freckles since I was tiny). I was hoping the Vitamin C would help with the freckles as although I'll probably always have them it'd be nice to minimise them and prevent any new ones! So there I am happily using a product that has an ingredient that will potentially make them worse! Shock Mad (I've since switched to PSF Skincare Vit C serum which I prefer anyway.)

Very silly of me as I know tyrosine is used in tan 'accelerators' (although according to cosmetic cop topical application has no effect I'm not willing to risk it - and I thought it was my imagination that the freckles looked darker then usual - maybe - maybe not?!?!?)

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Bad Bird!!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2005 8:20 am      Reply with quote
Hmm ... wonder why Cellex-C need to put Tyrosine in their formulas and patent it as well? hmm

It's not too late to reverse those freckles, Lucia! Smile
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Bad Bird - I was having a think about why they may put it in... I suppose theoretically if you can put the precurser to melanin into the skin to increase the skins natural response to sunlight (tan) then you could say that you are increasing the skins natural defences against the sun - as a tan is the skins natural way of trying to protect it self?
As I say this is all theory and I believe there's no such thing as a healthy tan (unless the bottled type!!) and I don't want anymore freckles thanyou very much!! Laughing
As to my freckles and getting rid of them...don't think that's going to happen in all honesty, I am a natural redhead and have had freckles since I was about 2 years old despite my mum being neurotic about keeping me out of the sun. I NEVER EVER tan my skin just freckles and burns. I've used a moisturiser with sunblock since my teens and have used a seperate sunblock (highest i could get at the time) since I was about 20! (I'm 33 now). I now use a C serum and wear Fallene Total Block SPF 65 all year round. Thanks to this the freckles have gradually faded and I'm lucky in that I have the small type not the big dark ones. But I definitely still have them! Don't think they'll ever go completely though - had them too long. They don't bother me hugely I just want to prevent them getting any worse and with my skintype I need to avoid the sun anyway!
I don't want to resort to bleaching products - I've heard mixed reports on them and (hydroquinone is banned here according to my GP which is scary as its in so many products)unless someone can recommend something that won't damage or irritate my skin then I'll think about it - it doesn't bother me enough to risk my skin health to a nasty chemical topically applied. I also heard that treating freckles like mine is difficult as you can't treat them individually you have to treat the whole area and that can bleach the surrounding skin too making them seem darker anyway - or worse the treatment can cause pigmentation! So I'm erring on the side of caution and sticking to sun protection!!! Very Happy
Very annoyed at Cellex C won't use it again - although despite being out in the sun at badminton Horse Trials all last weekend (wish I was good enough rider to compete like that!!!) my PSF Vit C and SPF 65 seem to have done the trick and my freckles seem less noticeable!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lucia,

I've always envied those beautiful white skins of natural redheads (and I love the hair colour as well!). Smile

I thought the same way you did about the Tyrosine. It seems the most logical ... hmm ... maybe I should e-mail them and ask them!

You may want to switch to a sunscreen which will give you more UVA protection. That should do something for those freckles in fading them more! Look for a sunscreen with a PPD of at least 20.

Another thing to try are alternatives to hydroquinone, such as Kojic Acid and Arbutin. Smile
beautyfashaddict
5% products discount

Sat May 14, 2005 9:13 am      Reply with quote
PPD of 20?
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2005 11:21 am      Reply with quote
beautyfashaddict wrote:
PPD of 20?

PPD is the UVA rating. SPF is used for UVB.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 3:06 am      Reply with quote
Ahh Thanks BadBird - that's really nice of you! Very Happy

The Total Block claims to have high UVA protection as well as protection from Infra Red light as well - it certainly seems to dothe job - I spent all weekend outside and not a single extra freckle popped through!!
I've been reading up - the type of heriditary frecklin I have is due to a gene mutation (my freckles are known as Ephelides - I'm a mutant! Laughing ) and appear even with minimal sun exposure appear between ages 2 and 5 and fade to almost nothing over winter (that's me!). Whereas sunburn/damage freckles (solar lentigo)are permanent and do not fade in the winter. Apparently you can fade the 2nd type but my type are my skins attempt to protect itself - the only way to keep them at bay is to:
a) Where a VERY good SPF UVA/UVB sunblock and avoid sun exposure
b) AGE! The number of ephelides reduces as you age peaking during your late teens (certainly true for me - I have lots less than I did at 18!!) Sometimes they are barely noticeable by the time you are in your forties whereas solar lentigos) will darken and possibly enlarge as you age!

YAY!!!!! fell MUCH happier now!!!
Edited to add this cool link - http://www.llerrah.com/freckles.htm and http://www.freemedicineprogram.com/healthcare/Freckles

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Where sunscreens are concerned, I never believe what the manufacturers claim unless they have something to "show" for it, like research papers and UVA protection ratings (LRP).

The SPF65 Total Block is not even completely photostable and the chemicals do not have good protection across the UVA spectrum, how to even have "high" UVA protection??!

Lucia - please, please, please, do protect that beautiful white skin of yours with a better sunscreen. Not burning doesn't mean you are not getting UV damage.
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Badbird - Ok - I take the hint!! Laughing
What would you recommend then? (Higher SPF the better as I'm sure I was a vampire in a previous life - I can burn almost in the dark!!! Laughing )

Thanks!!!

Edited to add - Considering LRP SPF 60 Fluide Extreme will this do the job and If I put it on under my make up (mineral also with SPF!) will it stay put or will I have to wreck my makeup by reapplying every hour or so?
Disappointed about the news on the Fallene - it seemed to do the job and stayed put under makeup all day. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2005 3:33 am      Reply with quote
Badbird - you still there? Very Happy
Just wanted to add I ordered A french Sunblock last summer - BioDerma SPF 100 Photoderm max Milk which has Mexoryl and apparently a PPD of 30!!- not keen on the texture what do you think of this one? (details on - http://www.delivereddeals.com/BioSun.asp )Ingredients : Aqua, caprylic/capric triglyceride, isoamyl p-methoxycinnamate, titanium dioxide, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, butylene glycol, zinc oxide, octyl triazone, sorbitan isostearate, polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate, sodium chloride, 4-methylbenzylidene camphor, triethanolamine, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, silica dimethyl silylate, Cera alba, tocopheryl acetate, phenoxyethanol, trilinolein, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, triolein, trilinolenin, tristearin, triarachidin, tripalmitin, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, ethylparabenI might still get the LRP Fluide Extreme SPF 60 XL though - arghh- it's a mine field!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, Lucia ... I missed your earlier post. Crying or Very sad

Bioderma is excellent, but it does not contain Mexoryl. It contains Tinosorb. I'm afraid all the good sunscreens are going to be a little heavy and oily. Fluide Extreme is more liquidy, you may prefer it. Oiliness is a small price to pay. Dab a little cornstarch over it to matte the shine after 15 minutes.

And yes, you won't burn in the dark but you may burn in your house, especially if you're fond of sitting next to big, bright windows. UVA rays penetrate glass, so wear sunscreen at home if you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to have a bright home. You probably need to live like a vampire because of that beautiful white skin! Laughing Laughing
Lucia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Now I'm confused the website said it did have Mexoryl in it? I've tried the Bioderma on my face today and it was a tad shiny and felt a little heavy until I matted it down - it seems fine now, will have to see. It says to use on thoroughly dry skin - so is it ok to use over my Vit C serum or my RYF serum? (That's how I've done it as I don't want to give them up! Very Happy )
You're absolutely right - I have been known to burn indoors or in the car especially as a child when sunscreens where pretty rubbish. (Soltan cream was the only one available when I was a tot apparently - it didn't even have an SPF on it and came in a teeny tube like antiseptic - I recently found out it was like an SPF3/4!!!) As a kid I lived in long cotton jackets and a hat and sat under a tree or inside - I have vivid memories of being at kindergarten and having to stay inside with a coloring book one hot day while everyone else was outside playing in the paddling pool. (Where is that violin!?!? Laughing ). Thank God that there are good sunscreens available now!!! I have just become an Auntie again and it seems my nephew has also going to have/has redhair (not my genes/fault its my OHs sister baby), so at least I can pass on good spfs to them so he won't have to be a recluse!!
So should I still get the Fluide Extreme do you think? (I did like the notion that the Bioderma had a PPD of 30 - the highest I've seen!).
Badbird - you're a star - how do you know all this?!??

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Which ridiculous website is this again? They are terrible when they list Bioderma as containing Mexoryl. Mexoryl is a patented active belonging to the Loreal group; so unless Bioderma had joined Loreal, their sunscreens cannot contain Mexoryl.

Yes, using sunscreen over vit c is highly recommended. You should let the vit c absorb -wait at least 5 minutes.

SPF3/4???!!! Shock Is there even such a thing?? At least you had some protection when you were a child. Me, growing up in hot, tropical Singapore, was a swimmer and nobody ever told me what sunscreen was. I even used to sunbathe as a teenager in the midday sun.

You can get the FE if you want to try different textures. The Bioderma does have one of the highest PPD I know of at the moment. I've been eyeing the Lait one for some time, but me being in Canada now, it's really difficult for me to get it. Shipping costs from delivereddeals.com are a little prohibitive. Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |