Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 09, 2005 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I too find the cost of the DrH CC too much for what you get and it does sting a bit. So, here's my recipe. I have made a batch three times and each time had to grind the almonds more and more fine but I think I have it now. Smile It ends up like a paste but when you use it on your skin it is grainy, just like the Dr H only without alcohol which always irritates my skin. I think he uses it so to preserve his products, I wished he wouldn't though.

Here's my recipe:

a small amount of almonds, about a 1/4 cup
and I add vegetable glycerin until it's the consistency I like. It mixes up with water just like the Dr H version. It has no oil added but the almonds have some so it's still an emulsion, it acts like one anyway. And it soothes and does not sting. Smile

5% products discount

Tue May 10, 2005 3:11 am      Reply with quote
hi diderot,

thanks for your reply. I am just going to purchase these oils so I need some clarifications regarding your homemade 'sleeping potion' - so you are saying that the oils can be used 'pure' on the scalp without any dilution or blending whatsoever? Would that be too strong on the scalp area?
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2005 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi missykiehls,

For the scalp, 5 drops of pure oil is fine.

D

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Jojoba oil. perfect under make up, oil regulating and a little goes a long way

Liz Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 12:51 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

Hi Carrie

I have a powder that is ascorbic acid BP - is this the same thing?

T x
Cheeks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 4:53 am      Reply with quote
diderot wrote:

Homemade recipe for avocado lip balm, here is what you need :
Pure avocado oil
Beeswax or Candelilla wax (vegatable wax)
Essential oil (not a must), but I like putting sweet orange oil and lavender oil in, these 2 scent mix well and calms me down. If you like minty taste, you can of course put peppermint oil.

Boil ABOUT 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and 1 small teaspoon of wax, once they are melt together, you can let it cool, I usually gently TOUCH the slightly cooled mixture with my finger tip, it will solidify in a few secs on your finger tip, see if you like the consistency, try it on your lip. Then, I add my essential oil to lukewarm mixture, stirr well, pour into an empty lipbalm tube.

** More wax in the mixture will make the lipbalm stays on your lips better.

Just made my first ever homemade cosmetic as above!!

Am chuffed - it worked a treat and the above quantity made enough for 2 pots of lip balm. It feels lovely on your lips and is sooo easy to do - think I have the bug now!

T x
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Sorry if this is obvious Embarassed but what do you use to boil the oil and wax in? Also, can you melt them down together or do you melt down the wax and then add it to the oil and boil both together?
indianT
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
I use this to clean, exfoliate and moisturize my skin evey now and then. In summertime I do follow it up a light cleanser.

1 tbs Milk
1/2 tbs Yoghurt (or 5 drops lemon juice)
2/3 drops of olive or almond oil
1/2 tbs of orange peel power (or cornmeal)
= leave it on for no more than 5 minutes and wash it off with warm water. You'll love the way your skin will feel.

I sometimes alternate between the lemon juice and yoghurt and I leave it on for no more than 5 minute. You will feel the tingle due to the lemon juice.
when u add lemon juice to milk it will change the texture so don't worry.

Let me know how it works out if anyone tries it.
Cheeks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2005 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
rzecka wrote:
Sorry if this is obvious Embarassed but what do you use to boil the oil and wax in? Also, can you melt them down together or do you melt down the wax and then add it to the oil and boil both together?

Hi Rzecka

I just used an ordinary pan and I put the oil and wax in together and heated it until it melted. The mixture doesn't 'boil' as such, I just heated it for around a minute after the wax had melted and then left it for around 8-10 mins to cool.

T x
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2005 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I found this receipe on line. Really like it. Very Happy

Just Peachy Facial Mask (fruit acid peel)
(normal skin)

1 medium peach
1 tablespoons honey
oatmeal

Cook peach until its soft, mash with a fork, add honey and oatmeal until its a thick consistency. Apply to skin. Let sit for 10 minutes, rinse well with cool water.

Peaches, plums and nectarines contain large amounts of alpha-hydroxy acids, or AHAs. AHAs are a buzzword in the world of exfoliants. Like most 'discoveries' AHAs, in one form or another, have actually been used for centuries. The gentle exfoliation of fruit peels speeds up cell renewal, leading to healthier skin tone. The AHAs in these fruits help soften wrinkles, sun spots, age spots, blemishes and can even unclog pores.

Honey is primarily composed of fructose, glucose and water. It also contains other sugars as well trace enzymes, minerals, vitamins and amino acids.

Oatmeal is highly absorptive, hypoallergenic, and helps to soften skin. Oats have the best amino acid balance of all the cereal grains (amino acids work as water-binding agents in skin care products). Oats have also been clinically shown to help heal dry, itchy skin. Oat grains and straw appear in shampoos, dusting powders, moisturizers, and cleansing bars and more.

Storage: Most recipes require refrigeration since they don't contain preservatives. Shelf Life is approximately 1 week.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2005 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Cheeks wrote:
rzecka wrote:

Hi Rzecka

I just used an ordinary pan and I put the oil and wax in together and heated it until it melted. The mixture doesn't 'boil' as such, I just heated it for around a minute after the wax had melted and then left it for around 8-10 mins to cool.

T x

Brilliant - thank you Cheeks! Will try it out as soon as I get my hands on some beeswax. Gonna pop down the abbey later on - I'm sure the monks keep bees down there... Idea
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2005 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Firstly I would like to say, YOU GUYS ROCK.
Thanks for sharing all the fantastic recipes.
Now be patient with me whilst I ask a stupid question. Could I use Almond oil instead of crushing almonds Question
Although it sounds fun I dont know that I have any minutes left in my day to be crushing/grinding. So any advice gratefully received.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2005 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Firstly I would like to say, YOU GUYS ROCK.
Thanks for sharing all the fantastic recipes.
Now be patient with me whilst I ask a stupid question. Could I use Almond oil instead of crushing almonds Question
Although it sounds fun I dont know that I have any minutes left in my day to be crushing/grinding. So any advice gratefully received.

Lori,

If you are talking about the Dr. H's cleansing cream I think you need to finely grind the almonds. All you have to do is put them in a blender (I like my coffee grinder) and add the oil that is best for your skin. Really, it only takes a few minutes (if that). Of course I had to be in a rush to try it and I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil. That might be fine for some but I broke out from it. The olive oil was much too rich for my skin. Right now I am using a tad of Camellia Oil and like it.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2005 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Building on loopy lori's question, can I use almond meal (that I buy) instead of crushing the almonds in a blender (for Dr. H Cleansing Cream)?

Thanks.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 5:18 am      Reply with quote
for those of you who are making your own lipbalms, if you wanted to add a pink tint to it, try adding something called alkanet root to your oil before adding it to the wax.

the colour in alkanet root is oil soluable and if you let it sit for a bit (a day or so) you will end up with a crimson coloured oil. if you decide to experiment, your soaking bowl should be clear glass...it will stain just about anything else!!
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Ok! I checked Dr H recipe again and now realise what a dipstick I am and why oil is not a good idea as a substitute to the ground almonds. Such a DOH brain sometimes.(ok, alltimes). Brick wall

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 11:22 am      Reply with quote
The ground almonds give the mixture its texture

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have just been on personalformulator and written out my must have list of ingredients for all my experiments and I have not added it up yet but I think its going to be about $500 for me to make my own essential products. LOL. I must get a grip on myself and start being sensible.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori, what a coincidence. I am already listing all the items I want to purchase form personalformulator EXCEPT that I put my budget
at $100.00. LOL...
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
quacko wrote:
loopylori, what a coincidence. I am already listing all the items I want to purchase form personalformulator EXCEPT that I put my budget
at $100.00. LOL...

I think I am going to have to buy smaller amounts of some things which will bring the price down to a sensible amount. I have a very long list mind.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 5:22 am      Reply with quote
rzecka wrote:
Cheeks wrote:
rzecka wrote:

Hi Rzecka

T x

Brilliant - thank you Cheeks! Will try it out as soon as I get my hands on some beeswax. Gonna pop down the abbey later on - I'm sure the monks keep bees down there... Idea
Just a reminder if you add essential oils to your lip balm (i.e.: cinnamon for plumping/bee-stung look): don't add the essential oils until wax/oil mixture has started to cool down because extreme heat can affect the potency of the essential oils.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 5:24 am      Reply with quote
lamicuz wrote:
for those of you who are making your own lipbalms, if you wanted to add a pink tint to it, try adding something called alkanet root to your oil before adding it to the wax.

the colour in alkanet root is oil soluable and if you let it sit for a bit (a day or so) you will end up with a crimson coloured oil. if you decide to experiment, your soaking bowl should be clear glass...it will stain just about anything else!!
Oooh, thanks, that reminds me: you can also use old lipstick to make your homemade lip balm tinted! Just break/cut off a piece of your lipstick and drop it into the wax/oil mixture while it's melting...

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 11:49 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

Hi Carrie

I have a powder that is ascorbic acid BP - is this the same thing?

T x
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 3:17 am      Reply with quote
Yonka “Emulsion Pure” Recipe:
• 1 ounce water (preferably distilled)
• 1 drop Castor Oil (preferably “cold-pressed”)
• 10 drops Lavender essential oil
• 10 drops Geranium essential oil
• 5 drops Rosemary essential oil
• 3 drops Thyme essential oil
• 3 drops Cypress essential oil
• 1 amber or cobalt 1-ounce glass bottle

Put all ingredients in glass bottle and shake well before using. To apply, saturate piece of cotton gauze (cotton pads or balls will work, too, but they’ll absorb/waste more product) and use as compress against pimple or breakout. Hold in place for at least 15 minutes.

To read more about the wonders of Emulsion Pure, read ChunLisa’s review by clicking on this link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1887

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
I found this receipe on line. Really like it. Very Happy

Just Peachy Facial Mask (fruit acid peel)
(normal skin)

1 medium peach
1 tablespoons honey
oatmeal

Oooh I really like the sound of this one Winnie! Can't wait until some nice ripe peaches are out so I can try it.

It also sounds kind of appetizing for breakfast Drool

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |