Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
seabush,

Thanks for the info regarding not using water for the vitamin C. I got my recipe from smartskincare, and they suggest using water, and putting the remaining vitamin C in the fridge. I think it should be fine for a week or 2. The key is not to do too much, and the vitamin C must be clear. If it turns yellow, then throw it away.

Your recipe seems very close to that of Cellularskin firming vitamin C. They don't use water as far as I can tell. They use butylene glycol, which is very close to propylene glycol.
seabush
5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Quacko,

I noticed that some serums don't even use propylene glycol. They hyaluronic acid (Sodium Hyaluronate). I think this acts as a humectant just like propylene glycol. Has anyone substitute hyaluronic acid for propylene glycol in their serums?

Crystal
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I just made my version of the Decleor essential balm, basically very similiar to what I put in my lip balm, but just a little more wax in the base and mixed in a few more essential oils, I picked all oil with cleansing/purifying/de-congesting quality. It's less oily/shiny than the real thing, since I put in less oil but more wax, smells as good. I might be able to use this during the day too.

Here's what I did :

2 teaspoons of Avocado oil (obviously you can pick oil of your like, e.g. grapeseed for acne-prone skin, I picked avocado because it has a little firming effect and that's what's in essential balm).
1.5 teaspoon of beeswax
Tea tree oil
ylang yalng oil
lemon essential oil (not too much, I don't want to make my skin too sun-senitive)
juniper berry essential oil
peru balsum oil
calendula oil
sage( just a little)
lavender oil

As far as its effectiveness goes, I can't give a fair review just yet, I made this balm a few hours ago, immediately put it on, feels great and smells great. Has not irritate my skin. I can only imagine it should work BETTER than the real thing, considering what I put in it. Will keep you all posted.

D Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
oops, forgot to put cypress, niaouli, grapefruit and parsley, will add them in my next batch Laughing

Geranium would be good too, but I don't have pure geranium at the moment, I only have Rose+Geranium in a mix, so......but for whoever wants to give it a try, Geranium is almost a must for a detox balm. Razz

D

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
seabush,

I used this recipe from Lolli (posted here at DIY).
Here it is:

Quote:
rosebud, I'm making my own with reversed osmosis water, Natural Source L-ascorbic acid and hyaluronic acid serum, I mix up 1/4 teaspoon of l-ascorbic crystals with 3/4 teaspoon water until dissolved then add a teaspoon of hyaluronic acid serum I think my formula is at about 12% vit c. I works great and doesn't sting at all like the Skinceuntals 10% I tried.

I tried this one in my last batch of vitamin C. It seemed great, with Hyaluronic acid (HA). It did look a little runny. That probably was because my HA was only at 1%. But overall, it worked well.
Kk1668
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tootsie, I think you should have a new tread here in the Forum on Essential Oil as you seem to be a connoisseur in Essential oil. Please give us a lesson?

I love lavendar and would love to learn more about other oil.

KK
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:31 am      Reply with quote
carekate/seabush...

Is it possible to make an equivalent to the skinceuticals C+E serum by adding a type of vit E to the homemade serum??

I am going to make mine today! Ive got the L-ascorbic acid' finally...thanks for all your help!
seabush
5% products discount

Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
carekate/seabush...

Is it possible to make an equivalent to the skinceuticals C+E serum by adding a type of vit E to the homemade serum??

I am going to make mine today! Ive got the L-ascorbic acid' finally...thanks for all your help!

Nikita,

Vitamin E oil isn't water soluble like l-ascorbic acid and propylene glycol. I believe you need to add another ingredient to your serum if you want to add Vitamin E.

Crystal
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Crystal. I wont worry about Vitamin E yet then!

I just made the serum, toner and Dr.H Cleanser. Just one question...how long does it it take for the L-ascorbic acid crystals to dissolve in the propylene glycol? It has been around 90 minutes and it doesnt look as if any of it has dissolved. Perhaps I'm being impatient.

Thanks in advance for your help.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
When searching the net for the ingredients to make the Vitamin C serum I found this about propylene glycol and just wondered what anyone thought about it:

http://www.health-report.co.uk/ethylene_glycol_propylene_glycol.htm

5% products discount

Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
When searching the net for the ingredients to make the Vitamin C serum I found this about propylene glycol and just wondered what anyone thought about it:

http://www.health-report.co.uk/ethylene_glycol_propylene_glycol.htm

Propylene glycol seems to be in a large number of cosmetics. See http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/chemhealtheffect.php?chem_id=4162. I'm not sure what's a "safer" alternative to use in Vitamin C serum. Maybe glycerin or hyuralonic acid?

Crystal
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita,

I just made a batch of vitamin C with propylene glycol. I let it sit for 3 hours, and still, the L-ascorbic acid was not dissolved. Finally, I got tired of it, and heated it slightly. That did the trick!! It all dissolved.
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
quacko wrote:
Nikita,

I just made a batch of vitamin C with propylene glycol. I let it sit for 3 hours, and still, the L-ascorbic acid was not dissolved. Finally, I got tired of it, and heated it slightly. That did the trick!! It all dissolved.

Hi Quacko,

I believe Heat destroys vitamin C.... Crying or Very sad

D

5% products discount

Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried mixing ascorbyl palmitate (form of Vitamin C) with a carrier oil(s) instead of mixing propylene glycol and l-ascorbic acid? Ascorbyl palmitate is oil-soluble. I'm currently using an oil anti-antioxidant (100% Pure Nourishing Facial Oil by Purity Cosmetics) product. I've only been using it for a week so I can't speak to any noticeable difference in my skin. P.S. According to the Personal Formulator website, ascorbyl palmitate is more stable than l-ascorbic acid.

Credits: http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=382

http://www.puritycosmetics.com/facial_oil.htm

Crystal
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
diderot,

I suspect what you are saying is true, about heating L-ascorbic powder. However, in smartskincare recipes, he suggests heating it "briefly" until most of ascorbic acid is dissolved.

Now, when I used partial propylene glycol, and partial water (like Carekate's recipe), it dissolved completely just by shaking, and letting it sit for a while. But, using propylene glycol alone with ascorbic acid was the problem.
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:57 am      Reply with quote
quacko...
I woke up this morning to find that the crystals had still not dissolved! I tried a drop of water with the L-ascorbic and it dissolved right away...so I am going to start all over and stick to Carekates recipe...

About l-ascorbic becoming destabalised quickly, what if you made a mixture of water and l-ascorbic on a daily basis? It doesnt take long and I assume is as fresh as you can get it..but what would the measurements be then?

I have used the homemade Dr.H cleanser twice now, once last night and once this morning...and I really like it! I haven't tried the 'real thing' so I dont have anything to compare it to, but the homemade stuff smells lovely and cleanses brilliantly, I am just trying to achieve the perfect 'pressing and rolling' action!

I made the ACV toner too, i did put essential oils (ylang ylang and lemon) but it still smells! Is it ok to add a few drops of lavender to it?

Carekate, thank you for all your recipes, really appreciate them, so kind of you to share them.. Smile
seabush
5% products discount

Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
Nikita,

How much of each product did you use in your original formulation of the Vitamin C serum?

Crystal
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita/Seabush:

I, too, will stick to Carekate's vitamin C recipe, i.e., adding water to L-ascrobic acid and also propylene glycol. I'll do a small batch at one time. I figure out that Skinceuticals uses mostly water for their vitamin C. And their stuff works, so why not ours?
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
L-ascorbic acid is soluble in water. It is not soluble in PG - it is a glycol, which actually is a type of alcohol. However, if you add a drop of water into your l-aa/PG mixture - you noticed that it dissolved right away! Good job! You created an exothermic reaction between the H2O & the PG - this melted the l-aa at an acceptable degree that will not damage the structure of the l-aa. You discovered a formulating "trick of the trade"! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
DIY'ers Beware!
Hi all,
I just wanted to give you all a little warning about online suppliers. I don't mean for this to sound like sour grapes, or that I am trying to blackball anyone, because that's not the reason for this post.

We were "taken" by an unscrupulous supplier of raw cosmetic ingredients, and I just wanted to warn you since I know a lot of you are ordering actives online to make your own products.

We came across a website for raw cosmetic supplies with very unusual herbs, actives, and other hard-to-find ingredients. Also the prices were unbelievably low. (red flag!) Shock

Anyway, we placed a (thankfully) small order for several ingredients & actives to test out for possible inclusion in our product line. When the items came, there was something just wrong. They didn't look right, they didn't smell right, no analysis reports, or MSDS, or COA's (certificates of autheniticity). So I gave samples to our formulations team, and the results came back that these substances were not what they were being advertised as. They were useless, general household ingredients that serve no function or use in skincare products.

I contacted the supplier & asked for MSDS & COA's. I thought maybe we were wrong & I was willing to give this another chance, even though our research team was certain of the true identity of these substances. We were sent bogus MSDS, and COA's from biochemical firms that told us that they have never done business with this company. This supplier pulled the PDF's from the biochem's websites & just sent them to us.
This supplier is refusing to answer our calls or emails, and continues to sell these "imposter" ingredients on his website.

Anyway, the moral of this story is "Buyer Beware!" If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is! Luckily it wasn't a large order - so right now the "imposter ingredients" are happily in their new home in the composte pile by my garden. Laughing But it just is scary that people would sink so low just to make a few dollars.
Sad
Anyway, rant over! Rolling Eyes Just be careful who you buy from!

5% products discount

Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:13 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka,

Do you have any recommendations for online suppliers?

Crystal
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:42 am      Reply with quote
The Personal Formulator is wonderful. They have very high-quality products and their staff is very professional & knowledageble. Also www.makingcosmetics.com.
For essential oils I would recommend A Garden Eastward http://addy.com/brinkley/

I do not know of any suppliers in the UK, but there is Oshun in Canada http://www.oshun.ca/Merchant2/merchant.mv? which is also very good. These are ones that I can think of off the top of my head that have lower minumum purchase requirements. If I can think of any more, I'll post them too.
Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:58 am      Reply with quote
*** Green Tea Toner (recipe courtesy of "Tom" atwww.acne.org): ***

What you need...

• 1 Cup normal tap water or some bottled water
• 4 tsp of fresh green tea leaves or 1 - 2 tea bags
• 1 Vitamin C tablet, i use 500mg - 1000mg (optional)

What do i need to do...
» Boil some water and make an infusion with the leaves or 1 - 2 tea bags (green tea). I personally cut open the tea bags and pour in the leaves.
» Add 1 crushed Vitamin C tablet to the hot green tea, make sure that the vitamin C is a powder before adding it.
» Stir periodically for 10 - 20 minutes.
» Strain with a sieve if you cut open the tea bags or had loose leaves. Let the liquid cool before pouring it into a sterilized bottle.
» Apply to the face with a cotton pad or with a spray bottle.

How should i use it...

• First, have a wash like normal with your cleanser.
• Wait 5 mins for face to dry.
• Apply toner with a spray bottle or with cotton wool.
• Apply your acne medication if this applies to you.
• Finally, apply your moisturizer.

With this toner it is your choice if you want to add any vitamins to it as the green tea allready has natural vitamins and minerals in it:

-Vitamins: Caroten (precursor to Vit. A), B (B1, B2, B6, Niacin, Folic acid and Pantothenic acid etc.), C (Ascorbic acid)

-Minerals: rich of Manganese (Mn) and Potassium (K);

Thats it! Give it time to get to work and see the difference yourself.

Good luck with it everyone,
Tom

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Aspirin Toner

What you need:

• 25-30 uncoated aspirin, crushed
• 6.5 ounce water (preferrably distilled or purified)
• 1 ounce aloe vera gel (optional)
• 0.50 ounce witch hazel
• 8-ounce plastic or glass bottle

What you do:

Mix all ingredients in the bottle and shake well. Let mixture sit for an hour or two to allow aspirin the chance to dissolve. Shake well before each use. After cleansing face, saturate cotton pad with aspirin toner and swipe pad over face and neck. Follow up with any serums and/or moisturizers, as desired.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:41 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka
I am sorry to hear you got shafted. I guess with all these online companies, sometimes it is is hard to tell the con artists from the genuine. I do try to be careful and buy from recommended sources.Is this company that stiched you up still operating?

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |