Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Janson Beckett AlphaDerma Duo Value Pack - Alphaderma CE - (large size 4 oz.) and Okusil Under Eye Serum (1 oz.) (2 items) Aromatherapy Associates Rose Infinity Eye Cream (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Liftense (50 ml)
When are you too old for ___ makeup/hair?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Author Message
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 1454
Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:00 pm      Reply with quote
So I recently hit 29, which has coincided with my skin starting to show its first signs of aging. I've also been shifting towards a more grown-up lifestyle and image over the past few years, yet I've started working in increasingly low-key settings with a more casual dress code and funkier limits for hair and makeup. While I don't much miss the slutty zany clubbing clothes of my skinnier and drunker youth, I do kind of miss some of the crazy makeup, and I admit to taking advantage of the casual setting by rocking bright turquoise shadow/liner from time to time!

I keep hearing (mainly from the Lauren Hutton brand) that women "of a certain age" should avoid shimmer-based makeup. I'm starting to notice that some shimmery makeups do indeed settle in my few fine lines and make me look older, but others still seem to flatter. I definitely decided a few years ago that glittery makeup was a no-go for me anymore, except for really extreme occasions, like New Year's Eve or maybe my upcoming bachelorette party.

I now work in a very young-looking industry (video games) with loads of women who wear pigtails and black lipstick well into their 50s and are covered with visible tattoos and dye their hair crazy colors. And I feel like this skews my perceptions of age- and work-appropriate makeup and hair stylings in a "normal" setting, partly because I'm in a techie bubble (heavily influenced by Japanese trends too) and partly because those definitions themselves are shifting.

All this has got me wondering what you ladies think!

When are you too old to wear makeup with glitter in it? Is there a difference between glittery eye makeup, glittery lip stuff, glittery nail polish?

When are you too old to wear zany colored makeup, like colored eyeliner? How about very bright lip color? Bold blusher?

What about false lashes? Crazy colors of nail polish (like very dark/black, bright blues, etc.)? Do any of those have age restrictions?

At what age do you stop wearing shimmery stuff? (We can talk skin age rather than actual years -- like how lined does your face have to be before it's time to lay off the shimmer? Is there a good litmus test for this?)

What about twee-seeming hair trends, like headbands or braided styles or what have you? Any restrictions on type, color, material of fascinator, hats, etc. that have just gone over my head? What about hairstyles that are throwbacks to prior decades, like perfectly teased 60s flips, long straight middle-parted 70s Cher hair, or 80s side ponytails à la Flashdance? What's your limit?

Anyway, I was just curious to solicit the opinions of you lovely ladies here on EDS. I know many of us are excellent at applying makeup and are sunscreen divas, so we can probably get away with tricks that the general population might not be able to pull off -- go us! But I'm curious how far that extends. Any input from posters of any style, skin type, age range, etc. are most welcome!

_________________
32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 1194
Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:25 am      Reply with quote
Well,
I used to work in the office of IBM and it is kind of business casual (and this was 5 years ago..)but I used to wear shiny black nail polish to work,bright nail polish.

So I think for nail polish the only time you should not wear a bright or dark shade is if you work in a bank or something like that.

I think the brighter shades look ok on me as I have shorter nails, so it still looks "polished" and not sloppy.
Never had anyone complain about my nail polish!

Shiny makeup, maybe until you are 50 or 60 I guess it is ok, but as long as it is tastefully done-like not a whole face of sparkly makeup.

Usually the eyeshadows I wear are pearl finish so it is not glitter sparkly.

I also used to wear green eyeshadow to the office and it looked nice because it was not heavily done.

My mother is 62 and sometimes wears blue eyeliner Smile
but she does not wear a full face of makeup- usually just eyeliner and maybe face cream.

I think maybe if you are over 30 you should not wear a whole face of makeup all the time.
Ok,maybe that is not really a rule..but more my personal rule as I do not like to wear tons of makeup at once Laughing

Usually I just wear eyeshadow,conceraler,blush,lip balm or gloss.

What I find looks kind of funny is when you see these old ladies at the mall and their hair is dyed a very bright blonde or super black, and they have too much blush and lipstick.
But I guess if they like the way they look it is ok.

I actually know a lady who is 77 and she alwaways wears pink lipstick and maybe some face powder, her hair is also colored blonde and short and curly.
It looks ok,I guess it makes this lady look like a young 77 Smile

I'll also add that thesedays I can not wear a ton of bright makeup at once because for my job I can not have people noticing my makeup too much,so I sometimes tone down my makeup to a more "natural" look.

I don't think my awnser will help you very much,but I'm also curious as to what people on here think.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Where what you want - think Zandra Rhodes.

Yes, there are certain products that can accentuate your age when you are older - such as powder, heavy matte foundation, glittery eyeshadow, obvious lip-liner - and basically anything that sinks into all the cracks and crannies.

But at the age of 29 I don't think you should be worrying about any of this.

I'm 60, and still go through the whole makeup and hair routine every morning - it's part of who I am and I love it. Yes, I definitely go for a softer look now - but the morning I wake up and think I'm too old to wear makeup will be the day I fall off the perch! - but then - I'll want to look good in my coffin, won't I!???

_________________
Born 1950. There's a new cream on the market that gets rid of wrinkles - you smear it on the mirror!!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 24 May 2008
Posts: 2390
Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Dont put age limits on things. I agree you should wear what you want as long as it looks like nice on you.
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Posts: 584
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 am      Reply with quote
I like Zandra and Viv Westwood, that sort of "eff you" attitude. Comfortable in their own skin and style. I can imagine me going in that direction in a few decades!

Makeup and hair should be however you like, but I wouldn't go around in miniskirt and boobtube when I'm of a more mature vintage. In fact too tarty doesn't look good at any age. Took me a while to learn that one (though in my defence, it was copying my peers as a teen/early 20s) Laughing

_________________
Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 06 May 2009
Posts: 328
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:43 am      Reply with quote
I don't think "women of a certain age" means 29??? Shock
You're still really young, I think. You should wear whatever you want regardless of age, but you certainly do not need to worry about it at 29.
its_kristy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 369
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
One should never stop rocking the bright turqoise eye shadow!

_________________
40, Asian, Fitpatrick III with mostly moderate hyperpigmentation and isolated severe. Currently on Obagi Nu-Derm.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 1454
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Haha, totally agree re: the turquoise! I remember seeing the movie Lucía y el sexo a few years ago while I was living in Spain, and one of the middle-aged characters did a very sophisticated-looking mermaid eye that I absolutely admired.

Of course I think people should rock their individual styles -- I know I have a few quirks to how I make myself up that I'm sure others don't share, but that look great on me and make me feel fabulous. But I'm still curious to know if anyone has a general sense of "yes to this, no to that" for certain environments or functions, even if it's only a personal choice and not something they would expect to impose upon anyone else. (For example, I think dark nail polish only works when it's cold outside!) Hearing about different vibes at ITT vs. a bank setting is definitely interesting!

Thanks for the responses, ladies! And of course, keep rocking whatever look makes you feel great at any age. Smile

_________________
32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 1044
Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Keliu who said "wear what you want" and I agree with GirlieGirl who said "don't put age limits on things." I am 56 years old and I never take my age into consideration when it comes to what I wear and what I put on my face. However, because I'm older with drier skin I use products accordingly.

I might be a little nuts but I love glitter and I have a huge stash of glitter make-up. But, I don't wear it all at once. A little glitter here or there is enough. Don't limit yourself. Just use what makes you look and feel good about yourself.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Posts: 1184
Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 am      Reply with quote
There are not rules except:

Rule 1: Wear what looks good on you.

Rule 2: Wear what seems appropriate for the social context.

Age doesn't really come into it.

_________________
Late 50's, fair warm-toned skin, dryish except in T zone; regular user of CSRx Vitamin C, Avene Diacneal, Avene tinosorb sunscreen, Pro Light LED, and experiments on and off with many products.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
I agree with Keliu who said "wear what you want" and I agree with GirlieGirl who said "don't put age limits on things." I am 56 years old and I never take my age into consideration when it comes to what I wear and what I put on my face. However, because I'm older with drier skin I use products accordingly.

I might be a little nuts but I love glitter and I have a huge stash of glitter make-up. But, I don't wear it all at once. A little glitter here or there is enough. Don't limit yourself. Just use what makes you look and feel good about yourself.


We are the same age and I agree with you and Kelilu, as long as it looks good go for it!

The one thing is some places you work are very liberal about dress, make up, and nail colors and others are very conservative so you have to go with what is acceptable depending. For your personal time as long as you feel it looks good and are happy that's all that matters! Smile

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 537
Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:40 am      Reply with quote
You Are 29 and very young! You can wear what ever you like!
Too much crazy makeup or regular makeup looks bad on anyone. Older women are looking younger and younger and therefore they can get away with wearing makeup, hairstyles and clothing for younger woman as long as it is tasteful. I am in my late 40's and much older than you are and I try to dress youthful without looking cheap. I also wear what ever color makeup and nail polish I want as long as I do not look painted. Mostly I try to have a fresh,clean look with maybe one makeup or nail polish item that is bright.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 1044
Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Hello DarkMoon...it's great to have another 56 year old on the forum. When I was a lot younger women in their 50's wore such old looking clothes with boring colors like beige and beige and beige with those sensible beige shoes that were not flats but had a short wedged thick heel. Then they had that very short,chopped hair that was sometimes permed into a poodle looking style because women in their 50's just never had hair that was longer than their chin. I swore I would never be like that. Thankfully, times have changed.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:49 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
Hello DarkMoon...it's great to have another 56 year old on the forum. When I was a lot younger women in their 50's wore such old looking clothes with boring colors like beige and beige and beige with those sensible beige shoes that were not flats but had a short wedged thick heel. Then they had that very short,chopped hair that was sometimes permed into a poodle looking style because women in their 50's just never had hair that was longer than their chin. I swore I would never be like that. Thankfully, times have changed.


Hi, leeleedeedee Smile I know exactly what you are talking about with the poodle perms and beige beige beige! I swore never ever to go that route either, I think that just made them look older than 50's and BORING! Smile

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz wrote:
So I recently hit 29, which has coincided with my skin starting to show its first signs of aging. I've also been shifting towards a more grown-up lifestyle and image over the past few years, yet I've started working in increasingly low-key settings with a more casual dress code and funkier limits for hair and makeup. While I don't much miss the slutty zany clubbing clothes of my skinnier and drunker youth, I do kind of miss some of the crazy makeup, and I admit to taking advantage of the casual setting by rocking bright turquoise shadow/liner from time to time!

I keep hearing (mainly from the Lauren Hutton brand) that women "of a certain age" should avoid shimmer-based makeup. I'm starting to notice that some shimmery makeups do indeed settle in my few fine lines and make me look older, but others still seem to flatter. I definitely decided a few years ago that glittery makeup was a no-go for me anymore, except for really extreme occasions, like New Year's Eve or maybe my upcoming bachelorette party.

I now work in a very young-looking industry (video games) with loads of women who wear pigtails and black lipstick well into their 50s and are covered with visible tattoos and dye their hair crazy colors. And I feel like this skews my perceptions of age- and work-appropriate makeup and hair stylings in a "normal" setting, partly because I'm in a techie bubble (heavily influenced by Japanese trends too) and partly because those definitions themselves are shifting.

All this has got me wondering what you ladies think!

When are you too old to wear makeup with glitter in it? Is there a difference between glittery eye makeup, glittery lip stuff, glittery nail polish?

When are you too old to wear zany colored makeup, like colored eyeliner? How about very bright lip color? Bold blusher?

What about false lashes? Crazy colors of nail polish (like very dark/black, bright blues, etc.)? Do any of those have age restrictions?

At what age do you stop wearing shimmery stuff? (We can talk skin age rather than actual years -- like how lined does your face have to be before it's time to lay off the shimmer? Is there a good litmus test for this?)

What about twee-seeming hair trends, like headbands or braided styles or what have you? Any restrictions on type, color, material of fascinator, hats, etc. that have just gone over my head? What about hairstyles that are throwbacks to prior decades, like perfectly teased 60s flips, long straight middle-parted 70s Cher hair, or 80s side ponytails à la Flashdance? What's your limit?

Anyway, I was just curious to solicit the opinions of you lovely ladies here on EDS. I know many of us are excellent at applying makeup and are sunscreen divas, so we can probably get away with tricks that the general population might not be able to pull off -- go us! But I'm curious how far that extends. Any input from posters of any style, skin type, age range, etc. are most welcome!


OH MY - Ginnieliz - You're 29. rock on!!!! I didn't even START thinking this way until I was 50... Holy. Keep yourself trim, hot and you can carry funky cool for a LONGER time than your matronly counterparts. I'd say if you keep it "going on" you're goodfor another 10 at least. Young attitude, good skincare, a bright smile, good posture....

Don't try to act like you're 20 but at 40 you can do a lot of the same things and be just fine.... Act classy, but be fun! inside and out.

_________________
Enjoying dermalogica with my ASG and Pico toner ** Disclosure: I was a participant without remuneration in promotional videos for Ageless Secret Gold and the Neurotris Pico Emmy event.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Also - trust your gut instinct. You know.... If you feel foolish, you probably should skip it... It won't be fun anymore - little by little and you'll replace it with other things that are the more YOU of your current age. It's all good! Smile

_________________
Enjoying dermalogica with my ASG and Pico toner ** Disclosure: I was a participant without remuneration in promotional videos for Ageless Secret Gold and the Neurotris Pico Emmy event.
margarett
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Posts: 350
Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
You are too young. I started changing my ways at around 40 something.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 1194
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
There are not rules except:

Rule 1: Wear what looks good on you.

Rule 2: Wear what seems appropriate for the social context.

Age doesn't really come into it.


I sort of agree!
I used to work in an office and sometimes some of the people working at the more clerical part they would show up in the most "skanky" items, like low cut lacy tops, mini skirts..and this was a business office too.

I just thought that looked so bad and makes you kind of not be taken seriously.

Like lets say you went to the bank..would you really want the teller to be in stilleto heels and super red lipstick and a mini skirt?
I don't think I could take someone like that seriously.

I also know for my work now I was told not to wear anything flashy and to look more polished- esp if I have to go meet the manager of some store or whatever...

I think the only rule might be do not copy the looks they have in magazines, most of the time those are so exagerated you look like a clown or something Laughing
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I believe you (out of a work setting) can go for what looks good on you at whatever age with make up, hair and nail color. But it's a little disturbing no matter how much they work out to see the 50 and up crew sporting mini skirts, booty shorts, bikinis ect. next to the 18-30 something crew. Most of the women I see trying to pull those things off look downright silly. JMHO Very Happy

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 27 Jun 2006
Posts: 6560
Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
In the corporate world you don't necessarily have to look like a clone. Men can show their own sense of style by wearing a "zany" waistcoat, tie or braces with their suit and still look stylish and dapper. Accessories such as spectacles and interesting jewellery or scarfs can also make a statement.

_________________
Born 1950. There's a new cream on the market that gets rid of wrinkles - you smear it on the mirror!!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 5982
Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I can pull off a bikini with the best of them... And I have a few longer mini's also. It's all in the cut, the quality of the fabric, the design and how you pull it together. I get complimented on my choices by both young and older.

_________________
Enjoying dermalogica with my ASG and Pico toner ** Disclosure: I was a participant without remuneration in promotional videos for Ageless Secret Gold and the Neurotris Pico Emmy event.
Starlight
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 537
Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
I believe you (out of a work setting) can go for what looks good on you at whatever age with make up, hair and nail color. But it's a little disturbing no matter how much they work out to see the 50 and up crew sporting mini skirts, booty shorts, bikinis ect. next to the 18-30 something crew. Most of the women I see trying to pull those things off look downright silly. JMHO Very Happy
I so agree with you! I hate the boots and little baby doll dresses on older woman. The look is terrible!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Starlight wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
I believe you (out of a work setting) can go for what looks good on you at whatever age with make up, hair and nail color. But it's a little disturbing no matter how much they work out to see the 50 and up crew sporting mini skirts, booty shorts, bikinis ect. next to the 18-30 something crew. Most of the women I see trying to pull those things off look downright silly. JMHO Very Happy
I so agree with you! I hate the boots and little baby doll dresses on older woman. The look is terrible!


It really makes you wonder if they truly see themselves the way the rest of the world does? Too each his/her own but that's my opinion when I see them! Laughing Laughing

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 10206
Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
ginnielizz,

Out of 4 kids I have 2 daughters 21 and 29 your age! My 29 year old has to dress appropriately for work (insurance agency) but really when she's not working she can pull off anything my 21 year old can! You are still quite young so enjoy while you can and just whatever you wear clothes and makeup just as long as you are comfortable in your own skin and have confidence in yourself and your style I am sure you will look and feel awesome! Very Happy

_________________
I'LL SEE YOU ON THE DARKSIDE OF THE MOON....
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 10 Nov 2002
Posts: 1495
Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 am      Reply with quote
Well ginnie I think you're young enough to continue wearing all the makeup trends. I think anyone under 35 can wear the glitters and shimmery stuff, same with the wild colors. But I see you are maturing and want to move on. Matte cosmetics have their place and always are the best choice if you have wrinkles and fine lines happening. As for hair bands and barretes etc you could still do that. You're still young enough for all those trends. As for all the women over 50 who dress too inappropriately, just ignore them and go with your gut. Always listen to your intuition and whatever you are comfortable with NOW. HTHs!
System
Automatic Message
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



June Jacobs Radiant Refining Exfoliating Powder (74 g / 2.6 oz) Pro-Derm Liftense (50 ml) Peter Thomas Roth Hello Kitty Rose Repair Gel Mask (150 ml)