Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Thoughts on Adjusted Niacinamide Recipe?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
annaanna926
5% products discount

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
In one post, the following recipe was present:

"Niacinamide-N-A-G-Aloe Serum - 4 oz - 4% strength
Fill 4 oz bottle halfway with 2 oz pure aloe vera gel and add:
9 x 500mg caps Niacinamide (NOW)
6 x 750 mg caps N-A-G (N'Acetyl Glucosamine/Jarrow)
Fill with distilled water to make 4 oz and shake well."

Can I use only Aloe + Water + and Vit. B3? Unfortunately I do not have any NAG right now, and I am hoping to finish up my Niacin first. I know that NAG + Niacin work well together; however, does anyone know the measurements one would use in a recipe without the the added 6 x 750 mg caps N-A-G (N'Acetyl Glucosamine/Jarrow)? Should, I just substitute with more water? Or Aloe?

Any thoughts on just the following:

2 oz pure aloe vera gel
Filled with distilled water to equal 4 oz

And, also---would adding a tsp of vitamin e oil (32,000 IU) be OK? Does it bond well with vit. B3?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I'm curious as to the questions to your questions, too Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I use a simple Niacinamide - omitting the NAG (although I plan on adding it at some point when).

I use 10% Niacinamide (my skin can tolerate it without flushing), 45% Aloe juice and 45% Neroli Hydrosol. Love it.

So, I would think you would be able to just use B3+Water+ Aloe just fine.

Hope that helps

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:24 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
I use a simple Niacinamide - omitting the NAG (although I plan on adding it at some point when).

I use 10% Niacinamide (my skin can tolerate it without flushing), 45% Aloe juice and 45% Neroli Hydrosol. Love it.

So, I would think you would be able to just use B3+Water+ Aloe just fine.

Hope that helps

That's very cool and sounds like a great, simple recipe. Thanks, erg!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
annaanna926 wrote:

Any thoughts on just the following:

2 oz pure aloe vera gel
Filled with distilled water to equal 4 oz

And, also---would adding a tsp of vitamin e oil (32,000 IU) be OK? Does it bond well with vit. B3?

Are you talking about "pure aloe gel" straight from the plant? If so, you'll need to prepare/preserve it correctly. (I do mine in quart size batches, which I freeze in ice cube trays, and then use a cube as needed.. Eazy peazy.

For the "NOW Niacinamide", the only way to be sure it contains no anti-caking materials or excipients is to contact the company and ask... They do not, I repeat DO NOT, have to put this info on the label. (You can easily check your product yourself. Empty the contents of one capsule into a glass of cold water. If it dissolves before it hits the bottom it is "pure" and you can safely use it on your skin... If you see little 'bits' in the bottom of the glass (which is highly likely) the active is coated with anti-caking material and it's not going to be skin friendly.)

Vitamin E oil is always a great idea to add to skin products, but you need an emulsifier to mix it with water. (The alternative is vitamin E acetate which is water soluble, but just kind of a waste IMO.)

Also, you should really use a good preservative at 1% for any water based product.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
annaanna926
5% products discount

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Are you talking about "pure aloe gel" straight from the plant? If so, you'll need to prepare/preserve it correctly. (I do mine in quart size batches, which I freeze in ice cube trays, and then use a cube as needed.. Eazy peazy.

For the "NOW Niacinamide", the only way to be sure it contains no anti-caking materials or excipients is to contact the company and ask... They do not, I repeat DO NOT, have to put this info on the label. (You can easily check your product yourself. Empty the contents of one capsule into a glass of cold water. If it dissolves before it hits the bottom it is "pure" and you can safely use it on your skin... If you see little 'bits' in the bottom of the glass (which is highly likely) the active is coated with anti-caking material and it's not going to be skin friendly.)

Vitamin E oil is always a great idea to add to skin products, but you need an emulsifier to mix it with water. (The alternative is vitamin E acetate which is water soluble, but just kind of a waste IMO.)

Also, you should really use a good preservative at 1% for any water based product.

I am using realaloe (a brand) gel. It comes in a bottle. As for the NOW Niacinamide, it is packaged like powder in tiny capsules. Hopefully, it doesn't have any fillers---can the powder in capsules have fillers? I though fillers were only in pills (the hard ones)---this one I can simply pop open and the niacinamide powder pours out. OK, thus I cannot use vitamin e oil, with water, unless I add an emulsifier. Maybe I will just skip it. One last question however: why is vitamin e acetate a waste? I have never used it, so that is why I ask. And, what are some good, natural emulsifiers?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
annaanna926 wrote:

I am using realaloe (a brand) gel. It comes in a bottle. As for the NOW Niacinamide, it is packaged like powder in tiny capsules. Hopefully, it doesn't have any fillers---can the powder in capsules have fillers? I though fillers were only in pills (the hard ones)---this one I can simply pop open and the niacinamide powder pours out. OK, thus I cannot use vitamin e oil, with water, unless I add an emulsifier. Maybe I will just skip it. One last question however: why is vitamin e acetate a waste? I have never used it, so that is why I ask. And, what are some good, natural emulsifiers?

- Most powdered supplements are coated with anti-caking additives. In my post above, I shared an easy way to check your product.

- Lecithin is probably as close to natural as you'll find for an emulsifier. (Personally I love E-Wax.) Although I don't recommend or use it myself, you can also make an emulsifier with beeswax + borax. (The beeswax in your heated oil phase, and the borax in your heated water phase.)

- Vitamin E Acetate is a synthetic form of vitamin E which is "esterified". That simply means that one of the best/beneficial components of the vitamin E has been removed in order to extend the shelf life of the product.

The best vitamin E contains; alpha, beta, delta or gamma tocopherol, as well as alpha, beta, delta or gama tocotrienol. I use Virgin Palm Oil for all my vitamin E needs.

You might enjoy checking out Pure Bulk for your supplement/DIY needs. 90% of what they offer is totally pure, without any fillers or excipients. Just check the labels! I buy lots of my active ingredients for DIY @ PB, and would recommend it as reasonably priced, good quality and good customer service. http://purebulk.com/vitamin-c-ascorbic-acid-powder-capsules.html

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |