Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

any vegetarian or vegan members?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
lynn2525 wrote:

Let me warn you about Thai food. Unless you go to a proper vegetarian/vegan Thai restaurant, the food you get is very unlikely to be real vegetarian especially curries.

Too true. I travel to Thailand often and always return a few pounds lighter as I can't get anything to eat, especially in restaurants. Every single damn thing has that fish sauce and/or shrimp paste! However, thailand has some of the best fruit in the world, so I stuff myself with mangoes and pineapples. Laughing

Lynn - if you're in BKK, that Lebanese place on Silom Rd is great for vegetarians! Can you recommend any Thai veg restaurants in BKK for me?

Olivia - Your friends really do that to you? Most times when I eat with a large group and do that bill splitting thing, they won't let me pay at all as they insist I "didn't eat anything" and "just had some tofu and vegetables", like it's not real food Laughing
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:46 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
lynn2525 wrote:

Let me warn you about Thai food. Unless you go to a proper vegetarian/vegan Thai restaurant, the food you get is very unlikely to be real vegetarian especially curries.

Too true. I travel to Thailand often and always return a few pounds lighter as I can't get anything to eat, especially in restaurants. Every single damn thing has that fish sauce and/or shrimp paste! However, thailand has some of the best fruit in the world, so I stuff myself with mangoes and pineapples. Laughing

Lynn - if you're in BKK, that Lebanese place on Silom Rd is great for vegetarians! Can you recommend any Thai veg restaurants in BKK for me?

Olivia - Your friends really do that to you? Most times when I eat with a large group and do that bill splitting thing, they won't let me pay at all as they insist I "didn't eat anything" and "just had some tofu and vegetables", like it's not real food Laughing

What's the Lebanese place called? I live right on Sathorn road so Silom is only less than 5 min away! There's an Indian restaurant which serves vegetarian food in Soi Convent just opposite from Silom Soi 4 called Himalai Cha Cha. It's not the best Indian food I've ever had, but good nonetheless. I like it as it's a small quiet restaurant. Also, there's Indian Hut on Surawong Road (behind Silom road) opposite from Manorah Hotel. Hmmm...what else? Tamarind Cafe does vegan food and it's well quite well known. I'm not sure where it's located but I'll find out for you. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any at the moment. I'll find out and let you know.

Olivia - I'm sorry to hear you had bad experiences eating out with your friends. My friends were very understanding when I was a vegetarian. They always make sure that even when we go to normal restaurants the chef can make something vegetarian for me. I insist on splitting bills as my friends have to go through troubles of finding restaurants that served veg food and often they ended up not getting to go where they wanted.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 am      Reply with quote
Lynn - Thanks, I'll try the Indian places. I had dinner at Tamarind Cafe last month!
Will PM you the info on the Lebanese.
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
Lynn - Thanks, I'll try the Indian places. I had dinner at Tamarind Cafe last month!
Will PM you the info on the Lebanese.

Wow! You seem to travel to Thailand often! I'm so jealous. I wish I got to travel more!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I saw this post and was so pleased to find so many fellow vegan/vegetarians!
Then, I noticed some discussion on lebanese food... I'm originally lebanese, and have been a vegetarian almost all my life, and i must say that i never missed eating meat. I was born and raised in greece, and like the lebanese, while most of the main dishes feature meats such as lamb or fish, it's really so easy to get all of your nutrients and feel satisfied with all the alternatives and "mezes"!
And... it's mostly healthy!
itisme
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
I am!! Very Happy Very Happy
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
jzainoun wrote:
Then, I noticed some discussion on lebanese food... I'm originally lebanese, and have been a vegetarian almost all my life, and i must say that i never missed eating meat. I was born and raised in greece, and like the lebanese, while most of the main dishes feature meats such as lamb or fish, it's really so easy to get all of your nutrients and feel satisfied with all the alternatives and "mezes"!

I love greek food!!! I always have hummus in the fridge and I serve it at every meal with some cut up veggies, yum!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
jzainoun wrote:

I love greek food!!! I always have hummus in the fridge and I serve it at every meal with some cut up veggies, yum!

That's awesome!
Actually, did you know hummus is a lebanese/ middle eastern food... well, I suspect that, like a lot of the foods in south/east europe, and middle east (mediterranean), it has its origins from the ottoman empire and byzantine state, ie Turkish. Each nation adds a "twist", with elements native to their agriculture. Examples are the greek tzatiki (yoghurt and cucumber), which virtually every nation (even india) has its own version, and the stuffed grapeleaves... etc.
(I love food BTW!)
appletini
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:29 am      Reply with quote
This is making me hungry. I want some falafels and babaganough (sp?) right now!
Unfortunately it's not easy to get good lebanese here in HK Sad

Now I'm thinking about the perfect falafel...crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, not too dry, not too heavy Bad Grin Bad Grin
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
This is making me hungry. I want some falafels and babaganough (sp?) right now!
Unfortunately it's not easy to get good lebanese here in HK Sad

Now I'm thinking about the perfect falafel...crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, not too dry, not too heavy Bad Grin Bad Grin

rofl
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I've been a vegetarian since I was 11 (21 now) and love it!! I barely get sick anymore and feeling energetic more than before. I'm not a vegan because I still eat dairy products excluding eggs and chicken. I would never go back to where I started for anything. My boyfriend is also a vegetarian and he loves it! I think being a vegetarian really boosts up your metobolism! Smile
Oakview
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm not a strict vegetarian but I don't eat much meat, mostly because I just don't like it. I do feel better when I eat more fruits and vegetables. I sometimes find it hard to combine multiple protein sources to get the complete protein. It takes more planning. I think there are definite health benefits. Last time I had my blood work done the nurse at the doctor's office commented that he had no complaints. She said that was an amazing compliment since he always finds something to complain about. I'm 50+ so I was quite pleased. I do feel for those of you that are strict vegans or vegetarians. There isn't much consideration at banquets, meetings etc. and restaurants can be a challenge.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Bummpp

What an informative thread.
Though to be honest it seems that for women veganism is far more easy for some reason.

I still respect though some animal protein benefits.Havent had animal stuff for more than 7 months.

I remember when suddenly i made such a switch ,interesting things happened.
I was overdosing on iodine while i was meat eater,but due to education spontaneously i began to eat non processed stuff,and living on a hardcore city it isnt that easy.
So together with overdosing iodine i was eating for the first time completely raw.
My skin was looking so healthy.EVERYTHING was regenerating!It was scary .My whole body was producing electricity in touch with things.My eyes have began to turn shades lighter and i kid you not if this situation continued by now my eyes would have been pure white.I still retain some of the benefits.
I felt so good,and life was so beautiful.Feeling the waves.

Unfortunately it ended .Iodine and raw vegan,what a killer combination
I know though for sure thanks to the above that there is such a thing as regenerative/universal love state and was so lucky to be a witness of it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
I am veggie and have been since I was about 10 when I simply refused to eat any meat on my plate much to my mothers annoyance. For me the choice is ethical but I haven't always been the healthiest eater and I struggle with my weight often filling up on carbs and sweets especially when I was younger. I make a better effort to eat well now.

It terms of health I think like most people it really is the quality of the food you eat that effects your health and skin. I do remember reading some time ago when looking into fasting that digestion is the most energy demanding thing that the body does and that the digestion of meat it the most demanding of all and the theory was that the more time your body takes to digest your food the less time and energy it has to spend on all the other things like reparing tissue. The idea was that because of the demands of digestion the body just roughly patched things up so that the skin was healed but left a scar and that regular or prolonged fasting could heal even old scars.

I am not sure about this but there may be something to it. For myself it's hard to tell. In many ways my skin is aging better than my friends but I also never smoked, drank or sunbathed and I've been using retin a and sun screen for years so perhaps any advantage is down to that.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I was a vegetarian for a week in high school (lol) and for a longer amount of time in my early twenties. I guess it was a few weeks or maybe a month of a completely vegan diet, and I passed out at work. The hospital checked me over and found the only thing wrong was my blood iron, which was almost zero. I guess I'm one of those people who absolutely must get heme iron from animal foods. Sad
nickicaps
5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll that's so awful, you poor thing! I had a very similar problem and am a long term vegan. Upon further testing it turned out that I was getting plenty of iron on my vegan diet (guess my cacao * spam alert * paid off somewhere) but as it turns out, I was ABSORBING very little. At first I was so upset at the thought of turning to animal foods after the initial "low iron" diagnosis, but after this test I was told that no amount of iron, from animals or supplements or chocolate, would make a difference. I ended up having to clear digestive issues so that my intestines were absorbing the nutrients from what I was eating. It took almost a year, but I'm all good now (this was also the case with my vitamin D, which was 3!)
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |