Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

sebaceous hyperplasia
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:

I consulted two dermatologists here in the DC area, and both were of the opinion that the only way to remove them for good was to have a plastic surgeon remove the bump and offending oil gland. And they could always pop up again in other places. The electrocautery did keep all but one bump at bay for a while, but they're back again. And it looks like they brought some little friends along with them.

This is my experience also - so frustrating!

I used to have really, really noticeable lumps and bumps on my forehead - but now they're only visible if I look into a magnifying mirror and pull my skin tight. So I know I still have the condition - but at least they're not glaringly obvious!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a link to Dermatologist Cynthia Bailey's blog where she discusses what she uses to treat SH. She uses topicals, electro-cautery, and diet. I don't use BP myself, but if I knew it worked , I would.
http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/dermatologist-tips-to-treat-sebaceous-hyperplasia/
Has anyone tried avoiding dairy completely or "eating clean" by not using any processed foods? I have heard others say their acne reacts to dairy, so let's see if we can find anecdotal evidence on that. I know the "Feed Your face" author Dr.Wu also mentions eliminating dairy for her acne patients.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:
Here's a link to Dermatologist Cynthia Bailey's blog where she discusses what she uses to treat SH. She uses topicals, electro-cautery, and diet. I don't use BP myself, but if I knew it worked , I would.
http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/dermatologist-tips-to-treat-sebaceous-hyperplasia/
Has anyone tried avoiding dairy completely or "eating clean" by not using any processed foods? I have heard others say their acne reacts to dairy, so let's see if we can find anecdotal evidence on that. I know the "Feed Your face" author Dr.Wu also mentions eliminating dairy for her acne patients.

Very interesting - I agree with all of this. I've seen three derms over the years and all have said that SH is very difficult to treat.

I've also had numerous IPLs (forgot to mention that) so maybe they've also helped. I've never tried BP - but would if I thought it would help. Everything else she mentions I do except I use Lactic Acid instead of Glycolic. I also have a Clarisonic but I'm not very impressed with it - think it's allot of hype. The sonic part just means it vibrates - I think a good facial brush works in just the same way.

I do use the Oil Cleansing Method and have found that this has stopped breakouts. The theory is oil cleanses oil - so maybe this has also helped with the SH.

Note that she says that the electrocautery shrinks the lobules so that they are barely visible. She doesn't say that they completely go away - this is my experience.

5% products discount

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

This site has great information on peels so make sure you check it out.

Thank you for the link! There's a wealth of information on that website!! Very Happy

I'll also look into a ReAura. Anything to use against the battle with SH's is fair game!!!!
biogeek
5% products discount

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:06 am      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:

I don't know if it is happenstance or not, but my husband and I started the Primal/caveman diet about two months ago. We don't eat dairy (milk & milk-products) anymore (which was really difficult for two cheese-lovers), and I would have to say that during this time, I have yet to have new acne or new sebaceous hyperplasias pop up.

We eat ALOT of veggies now (hardly had any before) as well as meat, eggs, and drink TONS of water. I've lost 25 pounds so far, so I'm *very* pleased about that.

As I get these SH's removed (or shrunk) from my face with the Thermo-Lo, I will keep a close eye on any new ones which may pop up. Will keep ya'll posted!!
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Biogeek,
I have been studying the Paleo approach to one's diet myself, and think it is a very healthy way of eating. I am trying to eat mostly that way, which eliminates many processed foods and grains. Please keep us posted on how you are getting along. 25 pounds is a wonderful weight loss on any program!

I have also been following the Epionce thread and emailed that company to find out more about their experience with treating SH. I'll let you know when I hear back from them. Hmm, on their website I thought it said I'd get a reply within 24 hours.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:

I have also been following the Epionce thread and emailed that company to find out more about their experience with treating SH. I'll let you know when I hear back from them. Hmm, on their website I thought it said I'd get a reply within 24 hours.

If you don't hear back soon let me know and I will give you another email address.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Bethany,
I have really enjoyed the Epionce thread and all your diligent research there.
Did you get prompt response from Epionce from the beginning?
I was hoping that you might give us your own opinion on whether you think the Epionce line might have some effect on the SH we're discussing here.
Do you have any updates on your family member who was using Lytic for some SH? Another thing I wondered about was whether any of the barrier repair products, even a lotion, would be too much for SH skin problems. I found it particularly interesting when others mentioned that if they used a barrier product too close to an acid like RA or lactic, they experienced burning that seemed to be caused by the acid getting trapped in the skin rather than a reaction between the products. Also, it seems best to use one of the barrier products with the Lytic, is that right?
Thanks for any of your thoughts on the Epionce line for this condition.
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I heard back from the people at epionce and they sent me the same study that was posted earlier. I am going to try it with samples.
Another thing that has helped me is, I started using my red Baby Quasar on it. It seems the bumpy areas aren't as noticeable now. I am not sure if it is that or the copper peptides, which I am also using with it. I'll keep everyone posted. I did think that maybe the red Q would help the oil glands since it has a healing function. So I am treating my face like a sprained ankle Laughing I'll see what happens over the long run.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya, I called Epionce and was able to talk to someone as soon as I called.

I just called my sister and checked in on my BIL's SH for you. She said she saw a reduction in size of the bumps ranging from 30-50% within the first 2 weeks, but it has held pretty steady at that level. Since he did see some improvement and it has helped with the general oiliness of his skin, he is going to keep using the Epionce Lytic Sport. He is also using the Renewal Lite as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Bethany!
I haven't even gotten my Epionce products yet, but I think something else is helping the SH, maybe it's the red Baby Quasar, which I am using on my face. I'll keep doing it every other day or so and let you all know if it continues to improve. I do believe in the healing power of the red Q, so maybe it's helping those overgrown oil glands. Too soon to tell. I am watching one spot in particular and am also using 3% GHK, RAM, Niacinamide toner, C serum, and a real "left field "product --actually a Bobbi Brown vitamin serum that is pretty nice. It's not something you see advertised but it is there in the BB line. I don't like her other skin products but the serum is nice.
ejaastad

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I have never posted on a forum before, so this is very new for me, but I need some advice/help.

I am 27 years old with clear skin (I break out with 1-2 small spots around my period). I always thought my skin was normal, but I think it may be a little oily. I do not have a history of severe acne - very mild as a teenager. Yet, I was recently diagnosed with sebaceous hyperplasia. About a month ago I picked a spot on my forehead thinking it was a pimple. It didn't heal properly and when I saw my dermatologist he told me it was sebaceous hyperplasia.

After doing tons of research and noticing a few other small spots on my forehead (near my hairline) I returned to the dermatologist hoping that he would remove them. He insisted that any procedure would end up leaving a much larger mark then what is currently there. Nonetheless, I am absolutely devastated by the development of these spots. I am very worried about developing this condition as young as I am.

I could use advice on how to minimize and prevent sebaceous hyperplasia from forming. I am going to see a second dermatologist to get their opinion on if electrocautery will remove the existing spots and not cause scarring. I was also going to ask for a prescription for Retin A. Is there anything else I should ask for or start doing? I wash my face every morning and night, use toner (Paula's Choice) and apply benzoyl peroxide at night. Please help.
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ejaastad, and welcome,
If you have read this thread, you already have an idea of what people are doing to deal with having SH.
I will summarize what I know by saying there's no one answer on how to get rid of it. This place is pretty much the "cutting edge" of what is going on in terms of what people are trying and what is helping.
I have had electrocautery to remove some spots before. It worked on some of them, on some of them it did not. It hurt to have it done and is not something I am anxious to repeat, given that it doesn't always work.

One thing I did notice is that the cleaner my diet is, (the less sugar and refined flour) , the better it looks. We always hate to hear this because not everyone can eat a perfect diet. Many people have found that eating less dairy products helps, too-- there's a correlation between acne and dairy products, so it makes sense this affects SH too. I also do some lactic and glycolic acid peels, which seems to help some.
Just remember that the problem is hyper- enlarged oil glands below the surface, so finding a balance of oil control is what you are aiming for.
I recently had improvement by using the Marie Veronique acne kit. (they have a sample size set that is cleanser, an oil, a treatment serum, and their all zinc sunscreen, which works very nicely right over the oil. I know it seems strange to think that adding oils might help, but for some reason, it did.
I just got an ultrasound device (the Merbe/sqoom, check out that thread) and am trying to see if that will help.

All of us here are always trying to find The Answer, but really it's a matter of trial and error, and keeping it at bay, rather than curing it. Hope this helps you!
ejaastad

Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions.

Did you find that you scarred from the electrocautery? You mentioned that for some the electrocautery helped and some it did not - do you mean that the spots just came back over time?

I will try cutting out dairy and eating very healthy and continue trial and error with different products.

Thank you so much!
mike4311

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Hey everyone!

I've came back to share more of my results. Sadly, I still suffer from these bumps on my nose. If you want to look at the picture, please scroll to page 2 or 3 of this thread, I'm still not able to post picture here.

*NEW Treatments I've tried/trying so far:
- Derma stamp/Dermapen with Apple Cider Vinegar. If you want to know more, please Google "Apple Cider Vinegar Bumps on Nose". You'll run into a forum on Topix. IT HELPS! I think this is the best AT HOME method you can try. It minimizes my bumps A LOT. However, they do come back later on, but I've heard a lot of people were having permanent result, so please try this. Use Baggs Organic Apple Cider vinegar from your nearest grocery store. It really worth a try! You never know, it could be a permanent result for $4 ACV.

- I went to PS and he said laser won't work on them, he wants to shave them off (Shave Biopsy). I've tried it on 2 for testing, and it seems like the bumps are returning :/ I guess the shaving this was a failure too.

- I found a place that has Lamprobe, so if this thing didn't work, I'm gonna go and try Lamprobe.

I'll let you guys know the results. Please keep this thread alive! It's sad how medicine/surgeons have come so far and yet basically NONE of them are able to treat these bumps. Disappointing.
ellatu
5% products discount

Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
I am on my 3rd week of using the Tria Age Defying Laser. Three small SHs on my forehead are completely gone and a larger one on my cheek is much less noticeable. I am amazed and encouraged.
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Ellatu please tell us the routine you are using that you are having some success with. Very Happy
ellatu
5% products discount

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I am following the 5night/week for 12 week schedule with the Tria. I started on level one but quickly worked up to level three. The improvement in the SHs is a pleasant surprise! I can't wait to see my skin after the 12 week course.
pdxron

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
First time poster. I've read most of the posts here regarding SH and found it encouraging to hear how some treatments have worked(to varying degrees) while others have not. I am a 50yr old man who had bad acne in my 20's. I have oily skin as well. I started having SH about a year ago, I've been able to manage them with diet (fruits, veggies, limited sugar and processed foods), Epionce lytic gel solution and benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) applied morning and night. This regimen has worked well. I tried electrocautery (hurt like heck) and laser to remove them. While it did flatten them for a few months, they did come back and are smaller in size. After doing much research on SH and the possible causes, I can only personally testify it correlated with my sudden low testosterone levels (due to age). I am trying to eat foods to increase my testosterone levels and will note if it has any effect on my SH in the next few months. Thanks everyone for sharing...
maggie6767

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I believe anyone with SH must consider the dermodex mite-not the mite itself as everyone has them but an individuals reaction to it.I think this is borne out by the excellent results of the new Galderma cream ivornectin 1% on SH papules which has just finished phase 3 testing.Because this is not yet on the market I have used permithen cream 2% as cynthia b suggests with good results-v.sparingly on a weekly basis.Some have disappeared,some are imperceptible and all remaining are much smaller plus I think they play a role in broken caps in the same area which also have become less.I shall continue this regime until the galderma cream is available.While it is not pleasant to use it is very helpful for these bumps.I had noticed the reaura laser was good also during the treatment period but they came back when I stopped.While I doubt any cream is a definitive cure,including the galderma as they are present in healthy skin I note that people in the trials who obviously had much worse SH than mine-which is minimal had SH free skin for long periods without further treatment.Thus it appears to be a maintenance issue rather than a real cure.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2014 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Article from Dr. Bailey on treating SH or sebaceous hyperplasia.

Edit:
I realized after I posted that Alexya had this link in her post also.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2014 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have gone to a largely vegetarian diet, low on the diary, and have seen some nice improvement in my SH, but nothing miraculous.

I am going to a new dermatologist in a few weeks who is a well respected clinician, and I will ask her about it and also about the Demodex issue.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 20, 2014 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Maggie6767-What is the brand of the permithren cream you are using? Thanks!

Wed May 21, 2014 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
It is called Lyclear with 5% permethrin.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Maggie, I will check that out. I see you mentioned it was not pleasant to use?
My derm tried lasering them off twice with no success. The next step is a low does of accutane for a few months. I just do not have the time involved for all the additional doctor visits and blood tests for a dermatologist as well, ugh. Wish I still had my accutane source!
Since I have monthly blood work anyway with my heart doctor and ob/gyn, it is no big deal to monitor that part. Barely have time for those as it is!
I will give it this a try.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |