Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
New to making Vitamin C Serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
luvyourskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Clearly I am missing something... What type of Vit C are you using, and where are you getting it???
Hermosa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
benaked wrote:

Hopefully you could give me some advice on Vitamin C, E, ferulic serum as well:) I did my first one after your recipe Wink a few month ago, but probably I have missed smth. Mine turned out a bit gritty (?), it looked like flakes you get from bad milk being occasionally poured into coffee (sorry for my english). I can not say was it undissolved ferulic or not (i tried my best to dissolve it in vodka) but i have used SKB straight from the fridge and it looked like these undissolved gel bits picked up the ferulic.

Be, your English is great!

I have tried to make the C+E+ferulic a few times and had similar results. I am not a scientist but I got As in high school chemistry and can bake a decent batch of cookies, so I should be able to handle this???
benaked

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:

I have tried to make the C+E+ferulic a few times and had similar results. I am not a scientist but I got As in high school chemistry and can bake a decent batch of cookies, so I should be able to handle this???

My thoughts exactly Laughing I was so sure I will get it right so I made two bottles (for me and my husband). He has used his up though..
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
benaked wrote:
Hermosa wrote:

My thoughts exactly Laughing I was so sure I will get it right so I made two bottles (for me and my husband). He has used his up though..

Just a thought or two that might help you both, I use Everclear it's the highest proof legal clear alcohol you can buy (wouldn't drink it on a bet) but I find it dissolves ferulic acid best. Also use the alcohol cold as it also dissolves best with cold alcohol.

HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
Another option if Everclear isn't legal or available in your area is Perfumers Alcohol. Smile

Perfumers' alcohol blend 39c is widely used in the professional perfume industry. Now you can make your own Perfume, Eau De Parfum, Eau De Toilette, Cologne, Eau De Cologne, Room Spray & After Bath Spray! Our Perfumers' Alcohol is 190 proof and ready to use out of the bottle. The minor water content helps to prevent the perfume blend from evaportating before fragrance can be fully distributed.

http://www.saveonscents.com/product_info.php/products_id/3572

Just one source. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification -- so we are just looking for high octane alcohol? I had never heard of Everclear and am not sure I can buy it in California, but thanks to this thread, I now know where the band got its name. So even if I can't produce a decent C serum, I learned something!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Hermosa wrote:
Thanks for the clarification -- so we are just looking for high octane alcohol? I had never heard of Everclear and am not sure I can buy it in California, but thanks to this thread, I now know where the band got its name. So even if I can't produce a decent C serum, I learned something!

LOL I consider it legal moonshine, it was recommended to me years ago for making extracts. It's recommended in a number of books for cosmetic use. I am on the east coast and have found it in 4 states, but I also have had to ask some liquor stores to order it for me. The looks you get from sales people are hysterical. Bad Grin

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Many thanks, DarkMoon, for your suggestion and for the link! Never even thought before of making perfume myself. That must be fascinating. Will search more and definitely try it out.

So you think that this issue with Vit C serum is because of undissolved ferulic (not the emulsification)? i have contacted for advice the lotioncrafter (where i got the stuff) and they said that i can't expect it to be uniform without added emulsifier.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
I live in canada...I want to buy my own ingredients to make vit. c serum. I went to pharmasave to pick up glycerine but the pharmacist told me that she won't sell me L-AA and i will have a very hard time finding it. Where do you guys buy it?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:13 am      Reply with quote
My laa dissolves quickly in my serum as long as I am making a 10% serum, however; when I try to increase the percentage of laa it does not dissolve easily. I tried using a marble mortar and pestle and noticed that the pH of my serum was significantly higher - too high to be effective. I then remembered that marble reacts with acid. Crying or Very sad So, just a note to say that grinding the dry crystals with a marble mortar and pestle may be a good option (I haven't tried just grinding the dry crystals and then making the serum yet) but adding the liquid to the laa in the mortar causes the mixture to react and renders it ineffective.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |