Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Some troubleshooting/questions about DIY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Xien
5% products discount

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I'm thinking of purchasing Mini ProMixer from Lotioncrafters. Is this strong enough for emulsions? I used brambleberry mini mixer for serums but it was not strong enough for creams and some of the batches for facial creams/lotions are too small for me to break out the full sized blender. The Mini ProMixer is made of stainless steel though so I wonder would that be good for vitamin C serums since metal oxidizes L-ascorbic?

I also in doubt with weighing ingredients. If I use a measuring spoon for actives and the weighing scale says different or doesn't register, which do you trust?

Lastly I been playing around with Gelmaker ultra and I have an issue with separation and the finished product balling up and flaking off skin. Do I reduce emulsifier, actives, oils or increase water content?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Not sure about the mixer you mention as I'm not familiar with it. But, I would not use metal with my vitamin C.

Weight of actives is always more accurate than measure via spoons.

With the gelmaker, are you using sea kelp by chance? That always balls up on me. I've not had problems with gelmaker. I'd be most suspect of the emulsifier.
Xien
5% products discount

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:02 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Not sure about the mixer you mention as I'm not familiar with it. But, I would not use metal with my vitamin C.

Weight of actives is always more accurate than measure via spoons.

With the gelmaker, are you using sea kelp by chance? That always balls up on me. I've not had problems with gelmaker. I'd be most suspect of the emulsifier.

Ok got it thanks!

But is it worth it to invest in a costly weighing scale offered by Lotioncrafter you think? I bought a cheap one off ebay and it doesn't seem very sensitive. Actually I am wondering if it's at all accurate. How does it give 2 completely different readings for same amounts of different powdered actives? For e.g Niacinamide vs Glucosamine?

That's the funny part! I only used sea kelp in my eye gel (was worried about using it on the face as I read algae can clog pores) and it went on quite smoothly. The eye gel was considerably thinner and with less actives. The lotion that balled up on me is thicker. I used more emulsifier and 5% of oil including phytocide elderberry so I'm thinking it's either the oil or the emulsifier. Yet with only 5% of oil this emulsion shouldn't be separating at all, I have to wonder why.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Xien wrote:

But is it worth it to invest in a costly weighing scale offered by Lotioncrafter you think? I bought a cheap one off ebay and it doesn't seem very sensitive. Actually I am wondering if it's at all accurate. How does it give 2 completely different readings for same amounts of different powdered actives? For e.g Niacinamide vs Glucosamine?

The same amount of different actives will have different weights. A teaspoon of vitamin C power will not weigh the same as a teaspoon of niacinamide. If you weigh the same teaspoon of vitamin c powder multiple times it should give you the same weight reading. Is there a way to calibrate the the scale? Might help you feel better (or not Very Happy ) about it's accuracy.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:49 am      Reply with quote
One more thought...typically you'll want a scale that measures to 0.01 gram.

There are a couple of reasonably priced ones here (I have no affiliation with the company):
http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/scales-and-calibration-weights/
Xien
5% products discount

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Laughing That would explain so much! My worries are unfounded then. Yes my weighing scale is only 0.1 gm, actually I ordered 0.01 but somehow it came as 0.1gm and I had to make do *shrug* u know ebay sellers lol. Rolling Eyes

That site looks great, plus it says their location is in Taiwan that might make shipping faster and cheaper to me than a US site, thanks so much! Very Happy Too bad they don't stock my staple items (Ritamulse, olive peg esters and Leucidal) or I would order regularly from them.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Xien, if you like RitaMulse and are looking for alternative suppliers, may I suggest this:

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/NatureMulse_/138?category=25

its the same INCI: Glyceryl Stearate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate
ECOCERT

I like it for serums and lotions but I have to add xanthan to stabilize it. I just hand stir the water in oil emulsion if its a small batch and it works fine - no mixer needed. In fact the only time I use a mixer is for large batches of cream and then I use a BaMix (heavy duty stick blender). Those little battery powered whips are useless for me and stir too much air into the emulsions.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the site! I would check it out, I was thinking of getting ECOMulse from lotioncrafters. The price looks to be cheap but the shipping is quite high! Shock

Yes Ritamulse, ECOMulse and Naturemulse are the same thing right?! Very Happy

I get my Olive Oil peg esters from Garden of Wisdom. Leucidal SF usually from Formulator Sample Shop.

I have been using Ritamulse for body creams, somehow didn't like the texture as much for face products. I use lecithin to thicken it and yes it emulsifies easily with just stirring.

The gelmaker needs more work, I actually didn't have success with it when it comes to vitamin C E ferulic serums, it wouldn't dissolve and sort of clumped up into one sticky mess at the bottom. I now use polysorbate 80 instead. I find Gelmaker works well for face lotions and gels, it gives a dewy glowy finish, but I need a battery operated mixer or it just won't thicken up nicely. I use the tiny mixer from Brambleberry (Not very powerful and the attachment keeps falling off). Now it's tricky because I find how fast it goes will determine how thick the mixture ends up :S Once I went at it full speed and it quickly solidifies into dried up glue. Dumped in a cup of water to dilute it and turned it into a hand cream instead.

P/S: discovered that using some powdered actives solves the balling up problem.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |