Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what is best for wrinkles: derma roller,lightstim, dermawand
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
asdf
5% products discount

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I have recently discovered all these wonderful gadgets to hold off the years and repair the damage that has already been done (I am 53).

But which one is best for wrinkles and sagging? The derma roller,lightstim or dermawand?

They all claim pretty much the same, they all have one or two studies that 'prove' they work and they all have VERY mixed reviews on amazon with some swearing by them and others saying it did absolutely nothing for them.

What are you opinions and experiences? Which do you think is most effective and do you think one should use two or three at the same time (or on alternate days)

thanks for answering
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
There are a lot of different opinions because not everyone's skin needs the same thing. A change in moisture levels may plump up one persons skin but do nothing for another.

I'm close in age to you and have tried many things, including the dermaroller, Lightstim, ultrasound, microcurrent and home use lasers. Whew! It almost stuns me to say that I've noticed very little benefit from any of it, despite using each of them for several months.

My recommendation would be to start with things that have the most scientific evidence (via peer reviewed data). There is significant data on dermarolling. A lot of derms are now offering it as a service. There is some data on the other devices, but IMO its not as significant.

If you've not already done so, also look into Retin A, vitamin C serum and always use sunscreen.

Oh and yes, you can alternate devices different days. I've even heard of some who do a dermaroll and follow a bit after with a Lightstim treatment. Personally, I'd use them on separate days, but that's just me.
asdf
5% products discount

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi Shasta girl
thanks for your reply. Too bad that you did not see much difference with any of them. What's your skin like? Maybe you do not have any wrinkles and sagging to begin with as you take such good care of your skin?
I so want something to work.

I bought the dermawand first and have used it for 6 weeks now and do not see the slightest difference. In fact, once I have used it my face looks fallen immediately afterwards. That may be the relaxing effect of giving myself a massage with it. But it is not very encouraging.

Now I am looking into derma rollers and intuitively they 'feel' more effective to me. I mean, simply the effect that you get your products more deeply into your skin should be beneficial, right?

Yesterday I also had a look at the lightstim, which claims that you'll 'definitely' get rid of wrinkles with it. But looking at the amazon reviews, there are plenty of people who said it did absolutely nothing for them.

I am confused....
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 am      Reply with quote
There's a reason the huge Dermarolling thread is the biggest on this site by a mile.
Lightstim may have some benefit, or not.
Dermawand is a joke. I've used one.
talyta
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I second Pandax 12
Micro current is good too Smile I love my nuface is a very nice easy fix ...
Retin A + vitamin c + some face exercise ...
OoKarmenoO

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
At home beauty device that's galvanic ion, micro-current, EMS 3 in 1 Smile

it helps reduce the appearance of fine lines, large pores, and tighten skin tiny.cc/eeirmx
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
In my humble opinion, derma rolling is the least expensive effective option, especially for fine wrinkles. It takes about 6 weeks or more to see the wonderful effects of the derma roller. There are two ways to get benefit, using a short needle to enhance product penetration and using a long needle to increase collagen and elastin. DR has definitely made my skin thicker and reduced hyperpigmentation.

My favorite combination is dermarolling combined with facial exercise, facial lymphatic massage, and DIY serums and products. I have dermarolled for 7 years ensuring that I do as deep a roll as possible each time, meaning a lot of blood pricks. I don't leave my home all weekend when I do a deep roll. This has been very effective for me.

Saying that, its important to pick options that you can fit into your lifestyle and skin routine, that may help you make the final decision.

Best wishes!

61 in 2/2021. Author of "Skin Remodeling DIY, An Introduction to the Underground World of Do-It-Yourself Skin Care" May 2015. Sunscreen/skin protection, DIY C serum, firming serums, Retin-A, OCM, FlexEffect from 2002, lymphatic massage, 6 rolls/year 1.5 mm derma roller from 2008, Infrared/Red LED from 2009, Galvanic/Ultrasound intermittent
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant to post a photo but I will have to figure the process out.
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr1ol4d56w7z3yp/Fig57UseofDermaroller.jpg?dl=0

Here is a photo that I took to show a short needle derma roller. It also shows the condition of my skin, I am 55. The photo is not retouched, it was taken with a simple digital camera in natural light. I was wearing a light application of a mineral makeup.

61 in 2/2021. Author of "Skin Remodeling DIY, An Introduction to the Underground World of Do-It-Yourself Skin Care" May 2015. Sunscreen/skin protection, DIY C serum, firming serums, Retin-A, OCM, FlexEffect from 2002, lymphatic massage, 6 rolls/year 1.5 mm derma roller from 2008, Infrared/Red LED from 2009, Galvanic/Ultrasound intermittent
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
hydrogeogirl wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr1ol4d56w7z3yp/Fig57UseofDermaroller.jpg?dl=0

Here is a photo that I took to show a short needle derma roller. It also shows the condition of my skin, I am 55. I added a background to the image, but my face is not retouched, it was taken with a simple digital camera in natural light. I was wearing a light application of a mineral makeup.

asdf
5% products discount

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:38 am      Reply with quote
thanks everybody for the replies, particularly hydrogeogirl. Your photo is amazing - it really looks like a young person. Your jaw line is amazing.

I was hoping someone like would come up here because we are the same age and you have long-term and fantastic experiences.

Can I please ask you some questions:
At the moment I dermaroll every day with the 0.2mmm derma roller and I am planning to use the 0.5mm once a month.

I also have the 1.5mmm - how often should I use that one? Maybe every other months instead of the 0.5mm?

Or maybe can you just tell me how often you do it. Also, do you have any other tips or a thread where you summarise your regime?

thanks so much!
shooterfish
5% products discount

Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
How to Reduce Wrinkles: What You Can Do
1.Avoid the sun. It's the No. 1 cause of wrinkles, with dozens of studies documenting the impact. In one study that looked at identical twins, New York plastic surgeon Darrick Antell, MD, found sun exposure was even more important than heredity. Siblings who limited sun time had fewer wrinkles and looked younger overall than their sun-worshiping twins.
2.Wear sunscreen. If you must go out in the sun, the American Academy of Dermatology says, wear sunscreen! It will protect you from skin cancer, and help prevent wrinkles at the same time.
3. Don't smoke. Some of the research is still controversial, but more and more studies are confirming that cigarette smoke ages skin -- mostly by releasing an enzyme that breaks down collagen and elastin, important components of the skin. Sibling studies done at the Twin Research Unit at St. Thomas Hospital in London found the brother or sister who smoked tended to have skin that was more wrinkled and up to 40% thinner than the non-smoker.
4. Get adequate sleep. Yale dermatologist Nicholas Perricone, MD, says that when you don't get enough sleep, the body produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. Get enough rest, Perricone says, and you'll produce more HGH (human growth hormone), which helps skin remain thick, more "elastic," and less likely to wrinkle.
5. Sleep on your back. The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) cautions that sleeping in certain positions night after night leads to "sleep lines -- wrinkles that become etched into the surface of the skin and don't disappear once you're up. Sleeping on your side increases wrinkles on cheeks and chin, while sleeping face-down gives you a furrowed brow. To reduce wrinkle formation, the AAD says, sleep on your back.
6. Don't squint -- get reading glasses! The AAD says any repetitive facial movement -- like squinting -- overworks facial muscles, forming a groove beneath the skin's surface. This groove eventually becomes a wrinkle. Also important: Wear sunglasses. It will protect skin around the eyes from sun damage -- and further keep you from squinting.
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi asdf,

Thank you! I am aging and have areas that I would like to modify but overall I am pleased with the results of my skin care program. It is possible to remodel your skin. My perspective is that using several techniques provides a synergistic effect that is stronger than the effects of any one technique.

In regards to needling, there are differences in the references so I will just say that over the years I rolled with a 1.5 anywhere from every two to three weeks to every 6 weeks to months in between, depending on timing, desire etc. I still get about 6 rolls a year in. I have never noticed a difference when I vary the time between treatments. My face is fully healed within 5 days, even after a deep roll, so two weeks works for me, but 4 to 6 to 8 weeks works for me as well. I can say that it takes 6 weeks to 3 months to see results. Now I am using a 2 mm about every 6 to 8 to 9 weeks. I can't quite use my .15 mm daily because I get sensitive. Honestly, I have not been taking the time to use my 0.15 lately even though it would greatly enhance the use of my Environ products. I will have to make myself do that.

The least expensive way to maintain wonderful skin is to stay out of the sun, wear sunscreen and a very important element is to wear sun protective gloves, scarves, hats, umbrellas etc.

Thanks, HGG

asdf
5% products discount

Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:55 am      Reply with quote
thanks Shooterfish - I sure avoid the sun and wear sunscreen every day as a matter of course!

Thanks Hydrogeogirl.

For the needling with 1,5mm - do you use a numbing cream? Can you recommend one? I havn't plucked up the courage to start with the longer needles....aaarrrghhhh!
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
asdf

Thanks!

Yes, I have always used EMLA (lidocaine 2.5% and prilocaine 2.5%) cream. I rarely use manufactured chemicals, but I want to roll and for me to do a thorough roll I have to use numbing cream. I tried carefully numbing with ice, but it was not enough. There are various methods for using the cream in references. Seven years ago, I could buy EMLA on ebay, in recent years a prescription is required to purchase. I just did a quick ebay search and only found lidocaine creams on the first page. I tried a lidocaine cream but it did not numb me enough.

HGG

cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi hydrogeogirl,

I second that: you look amazing!!!

What facial lymphatic massage do you use? And DIY serums and products are your staples?

Thanks!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |