Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

simplest Vit C serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
teb

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Help, I am new here and it's a kabillion post on this serum.

Can someone give me the absolute basic ingredient list to make a vit c serum?

I am thinking I could just use
1 tsp of L-AA
3 tsp of Distilled water
1/4 tsp f Rose hip seed oil
1 capsule of vit e oil

and how do I test the PH balance or where can I purchase the test strips locally?
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A is the expert on these matters, one thing that stands out, oil and water don't mix well. You'll need to shake it each time or add an emulsifier or

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid powder
3 tsp distilled water
1 tsp glycerin
1/4 tsp Vit E oil <----could be left out.

Test strips are ok...a PH meter is better. Depends on what these things cost where you are located.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
teb, you can try one of the Kassy's simplest recipes:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=526300

1oz 15% Vitamin C Serum (3/18/10)

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
2 tsp Distilled H20
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
1 tsp SKB (Don't use more than 1 tsp, it's too tacky!)
1 tsp Aloe Vera Gel (or just use 2 aloe and leave out the SKB)
1/8th tsp Vitamin E
1/8th tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp vodka

I wonder if one can bring this recipe to just first four ingredients??
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
teb wrote:
Help, I am new here and it's a kabillion post on this serum.

Can someone give me the absolute basic ingredient list to make a vit c serum?

I am thinking I could just use
1 tsp of L-AA
3 tsp of Distilled water
1/4 tsp f Rose hip seed oil
1 capsule of vit e oil

and how do I test the PH balance or where can I purchase the test strips locally?

Laughing Laughing Laughing 1st, I'll tell you that I'm not an "expert" in the DIY arena... I simply share the goodies I've made, that haven't gone down the drain... Embarassed )

...With that said, I would just offer the following points;

The 'recipe' you posted is for a total volume of just over 1/2 oz, which means you will have a 30% vitamin c concentration. That is twice the amount that your skin can absorb/utilize.

To make your serum work, you can try this, which will give you the optimum 15% concentration in 1/2 oz volume.

- 1/2 tsp L-AA
- 3 tsp distilled water
- 1/8th tsp (4 or 5 drops will suffice) of Rose Hip Oil (this has a high concentration of vit E, so you don't need more!)
- 1/2 contents of Lecithin gel cap (available at any drugstore.

Step #1

Dissolve your L-AA in the distilled water in a shot glass

Step #2

In 2nd shot glass measure in your rose hip oil and add lecithin and stir well.

Step #3

Slowly add in, while continually stirring, the contents of step 1 (L-AA/Water) to the 2nd shot glass.

When all is well mixed/incorporated, put it in your container of choice. (dark is best, and you'll need to refrigerate it because you haven't included any other antioxidants or preservatives.)

Hope that helps, and have fun! Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Laurin
5% products discount

Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:20 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Kassy, your serum sounds wonderful! A while back I bought a ton of stuff from GOW, but I have difficulties with their forum, both logging in and finding old posts.

So I wasn't able to make the most of my ingredients; I have been just letting them sit or adding them to some base creams. Crying or Very sad

But this seems straightforward and easy! Where did you buy your L-AA? And did you notice this home made cream worked as well or superior to other vitamin C serums?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

The 'recipe' you posted is for a total volume of just over 1/2 oz, which means you will have a 30% vitamin c concentration

Kassy_A, how did you calculate that it is a 30% concentration?
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, so I've just made this serum twice. Why when I mix the contents of the shot glass, does it look like egg yoke? How bloody long do I need to keep stirring in order to get the egg yoke to dissolve? I've made CareKates Vit C recipe before, but am unsure about how long to stir this.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy,

I just found there is ton of information on this forum about this already and so I am going to run to that thread and hope my question is answered there.

Wow, I could spend a couple of years here reading and not ever come out! Shock
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi. I have some C powder that I got from OwnDoc and the envelope says just to put it into warm water. I had previously used distilled water - does anyone else just use water?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
DebM wrote:
Hi. I have some C powder that I got from OwnDoc and the envelope says just to put it into warm water. I had previously used distilled water - does anyone else just use water?

I've done this, best to mix it fresh each day. A little bit of powder with a little water in the palm of your hand and then spread it on your face. Instead of using water, you can also use a bit of water based serum. I do this with a Juice Beauty serum I have. It's a bit thicker so it doesn't drip all over when I try to apply.

ETA: the first couple of times I did this, I checked the pH to make sure it was in the proper range...it was. Your tap water could be different.
DebM
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Do you think it would work to mix a bit of C powder into macademia, almond , jojoba or emu oil or would it not dissolve and be worthless?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
DebM wrote:
Do you think it would work to mix a bit of C powder into macademia, almond , jojoba or emu oil or would it not dissolve and be worthless?

I think you'll need at least a small amount of water soluble serum to dissolve the c powder. I know there are some SkinMedica products that have LAA suspended in a silicone base, but I'm not sure that oil would have that same effect. Maybe try a mix of a water based serum (or just water) to dissolve the C and then add the oil and apply?
I usually add a few drops of oil in mine as well.
Icequeen888

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Where do I buy the ingredients to make this?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Icequeen888 wrote:
Where do I buy the ingredients to make this?

Here is a link to a previous list of suppliers.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37905&start=0

If you do a board search, you might find more suggestions.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |