Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Electric Toothbrush versus Sonic type
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Zelda
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 am      Reply with quote
I currently use the electric one which I love but am wondering if the sonic version would be better for removing all those tea/red wine stains?
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:49 am      Reply with quote
I have a soniccare and I love it. Im not sure how it compares to electric but my teeth are pretty white!

Don't use mouthwash, I guess it makes your teeth yellow. Atleast it does for me.

You can also try the murinex ear thingy thing that everyone recommends for whiter teeth.

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:52 am      Reply with quote
According to my dentist, there's no difference between the Sonic and a regular electric brush. In face he told me he prefers the smaller head on the electric brush.
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:58 am      Reply with quote
It's scientifically proven that the sonic toothbrushes remove far more plaque, and clean much higher above the gum line than any other toothbrush. I bought my husband and I sonic toothbrushes last christmas, and we're both amazed at how much cleaner our teeth are. I had some tea/red wine/coffee stains between my lower teeth that I thought was permanent disapear within a couple of weeks.

Just go on amazon and read the feedback on sonicares. It's undeniable. Once you use one, you can't go back!
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a sonic toothbrush from Coles and it vibrates rather than oscilates. Is that what they do? I found it weird at first. But the reason I'm wondering is because I bought it from Coles and not sure if I got the real deal. Question
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 am      Reply with quote
What's it called? You can get them for US$50- if you look around, but that's the cheapest I've seen. The real deal sonic toothbrushes are called Sonicare made by the same company that developed the Clarisonic. The vibrations are caused by the sonic waves, which is responsible for the cleaning. The vibration itself is the by-product of the sonic waves.

The first week or so is very weird, it takes a while to get used to the vibrations, but after that, there's no going back! I'd never give it up!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:34 am      Reply with quote
My teeth don't feel as clean without the sonicare brush.

I can't claim it's made my teeth healthier. I've never had a cavity. Nor do I have gum problems. But they do feel cleaner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
anya wrote:
According to my dentist, there's no difference between the Sonic and a regular electric brush. In face he told me he prefers the smaller head on the electric brush.

I thought there was a difference in how the head of the brush moves?
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I think so too Rileygirl. The electric brush spins at a mile a minute, while the Sonicare oscillates(vibrates).
I was going to get a Sonicare, until my dentist told me there was no difference between the two, other than the size of the head.
My girlfriend has a Sonicare and swears by it, but she's comparing it to a regular brush, v's comparing it to a regular electric brush.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:45 am      Reply with quote
trigger wrote:
What's it called? You can get them for US$50- if you look around, but that's the cheapest I've seen. The real deal sonic toothbrushes are called Sonicare made by the same company that developed the Clarisonic. The vibrations are caused by the sonic waves, which is responsible for the cleaning. The vibration itself is the by-product of the sonic waves.

The first week or so is very weird, it takes a while to get used to the vibrations, but after that, there's no going back! I'd never give it up!

It's a braun. Was only about $40. Confused
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:54 am      Reply with quote
trigger wrote:
It's scientifically proven that the sonic toothbrushes remove far more plaque, and clean much higher above the gum line than any other toothbrush. I bought my husband and I sonic toothbrushes last christmas, and we're both amazed at how much cleaner our teeth are. I had some tea/red wine/coffee stains between my lower teeth that I thought was permanent disapear within a couple of weeks.

Just go on amazon and read the feedback on sonicares. It's undeniable. Once you use one, you can't go back!

Actually this is not correct. There's no conclusive evidence that using a sonic (or ultrasonic) type of brush cleans better than a regular electric brush. You can easily check this on medline. In fact, most of the recent studies actually concluded that the electric toothbrush was better than the sonic one. The studies were funded by Procter&Gamble BUT were published in peer-reviewed journals.

Another thing is that sonic toothbrushes have a higher rate of erosion of demineralized and sound enamel.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:

I also bought this model. Somehow, I don't think its the same as the Sonicare which retails at around AUD$200. Anyway, I'm not that impressed with it and prefer the other Braun models that have the small round revolving head.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Mishey wrote:

I also bought this model. Somehow, I don't think its the same as the Sonicare which retails at around AUD$200. Anyway, I'm not that impressed with it and prefer the other Braun models that have the small round revolving head.

Yeh right, $40/$200, what does that say...
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
There has always been a competition between Braun Oral B and Sonicare brushes. Each claim to be the better, more effective product for removing plaque.

I get both free every year over a 10 year time period. I've gone back and forth. In the beginning I was a Braun Oral B convert but as I used them both over time I am much more drawn toward the Sonicare. I think the technology makes the most sense in terms of ultimate plaque removal. But it's almost nitpicking.
No matter which you use the most important thing is proper use - aiming bristles at gum line and holding them in place for the proper amount of time.

There is no comparison between these two products and the spin brushes and such. ...Although as I previously said proper use of any product wins over improper use of the best product.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've had both and would never go back to my Braun.

They are now showing a link between alcohol-based mouthwashes and cancer. I am now using 6% hydrogen peroxide, diluted 3:1 with water as a mouthwash, and a toothpowder made of a mixture of baking soda and salt given to me by my dental hygienist. Everything is working well.
Jasper25Tromp

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Using sonic electric toothbrush is very handy and effective in cleaning your teeth, not to mention its slim that makes it perfect to reach those hard areas. It has more power and pressure that helps harmful eliminate bacteria and particles between your teeth.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
When it comes to removing plaque sonic type devices (Panasonic, Philips) usually fall behind the oscillating devices, at least according to German Stifting Warentest reports. The winner in their tests usually is a mid-range model from Braun, other electric brushes from other manufacturers fall short in various areas (most times material faults) and are never recomended.
However, oscillating brushes can potentially damage the enamel, due to user error (too much pressure).
Bottom line, correct cleaning techique is what matters most, even using the latest and fanciest Braun brush (with Bluetooth!) incorrectly wont result in cleaner teeth. And one still has to floss and so on.
Anyone can test the results at home with those plaque-staining tablets (Miradent) to properly assess the results, it's fun!

Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |