Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
My vit c serum ph is too low how do i up it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:01 am      Reply with quote
I really wanted to keep it simple but im only doing 10% but its still coming out with a ph of about 1.5. What can i do?
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Also i tried a bit on my hands and on the palms of my hands especially even though i washed them it smells like metallic and a fake tan smell but the liquid itself doesnt. Is that normal?
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Tried again this time by mixing a little propylene glycol into my recipe and a large pinch of baking soda to up the PH, and yet again i can smell a fake tan smell on my hands half hour into applying it but i can only smell it on the palms of my hands and not really anywhere else i applied it. What am i doing wrong?

I dissolve the vit c in an open top glass with the water and stir it alot. Could it be this? Maybe i need to shake it in a closed top bottle so little air can get to it maybe? Not sure if this is normal, it smelt metallic at first which i hear is normal but now its just smelling like fake tan. Please someone help.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
What type of vitamin C is it? MAP can often have a funny smell.
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Its l'ascorbic acid i have been using, i didnt even know what MAP was until now but its not that.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
That metallic smell is caused by oxidation of ascorbic acid, which is unstable and starts to degrade immediately after contact with water and skin, and eventually it turns skin orange too because of same oxidation issue. Save a sample a couple months till it turns brick red, then it reeks really bad!
I'm afraid there's only one way of avoiding the smell or the color side effects, it's just the price you pay for using ascorbic acid, however you can slow the process down by adding more antioxidants to the formula (like glutathione, lipic acid, tocopherol and ferulic acid) or decreasing the amount of water in your formula by replacing it with glycols or alcohols, either partially or fully. Most ready-made serums use both methods to increase shelf-life and ensure potential skin benefits.
The only proven way of keeping ascorbic acid stable and therefore scent- and color- less (until it's applied on skin) is suspending ascorbic acid in silicones, which is tricky to do at home, and not everyone likes silicones because they call for a good cleanser or they build up on skin. And a good cleanser is harder to find than a stable ascorbic acid serum... Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
But if the vit c oxidizes on the skin surely thats bad for the skin? Wont that cause free radicals :O
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
khaleesi wrote:
I really wanted to keep it simple but im only doing 10% but its still coming out with a ph of about 1.5. What can i do?

You may add this to your serum.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/triethanolamine.html

How much do you need?

Here is the recipe for your reference.

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/c-e-with-ferulic-acid-kit.html
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
khaleesi wrote:
But if the vit c oxidizes on the skin surely thats bad for the skin? Wont that cause free radicals :O

In theory, yes. That's why it's important to get as much ascorbic acid into skin as possible, where it can actually be used and skin is able recycle oxidized ascorbic acid. You can google that under glutathione-ascorbic acid system. That's why there are solvents, penetration enhancers and tech stuff like encapsulation and other delivery systems in comercial serums. You can google that as well, Dr Sheldon Pinnell's work is a great starting point.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:36 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
That metallic smell is caused by oxidation of ascorbic acid, which is unstable and starts to degrade immediately after contact with water and skin....

jazzi- I have recently started using C serums again and noticed that they all smell metallic but only if I use them after showering even if I wait 10-15 minutes for my skin to dry some. I am guessing that this is due to extra moisture in my skin after showering? If this is the case, then when is the best time to apply C serum? If I apply it after showering more of the ascorbic acid oxidizes but then the C might penetrate my skin better than if I apply it to dry skin. Or is it better to apply to completely dry skin and have less oxidation but less penetration into the skin. Then again maybe less penetration of oxidized C is a good thing or maybe not? I welcome your thoughts on this!

PS- I have had this happen with SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic, Phyto CE and Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic. The Skinceuticals and Phyto were yellow but the CSS is crystal clear with no color.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |