Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

lemon and baking soda
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
taramheath
5% products discount

Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the lemon & baking soda method to remove blackheads? Did it work??
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Can't say I've tried it, but long ago I had good luck with the biore pore strips.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
The same question was asked on makeup alley.

The OP was advised against it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:01 am      Reply with quote
Not to be a downer but it sounds like a really bad idea.

Lemon shouldnt be applied to the skin, it could throw off your skins acid mantle and barrier. I know its an acid and people put acids on the skin but, lemon is one of them you dont want to use.

Baking soda though...mixed with water, put it on a q-tip,
Rub the tip over the black heads and then you could get them out easier. Youd still have to squeeze but itd losen it up.
That being said, I wouldnt put the mix all over your face, too much alkaline can dry you out.
ClaudetteSmith

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Blackheads are caused by oils and dead skin cells trapped in enlarged pores and can also cause whiteheads. Home remedies are can be effective in acne management. Baking soda and lemon juice are two kitchen ingredients that may clear breakouts and prevent them from recurring.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudetteSmith wrote:
Blackheads are caused by oils and dead skin cells trapped in enlarged pores and can also cause whiteheads. Home remedies are can be effective in acne management. Baking soda and lemon juice are two kitchen ingredients that may clear breakouts and prevent them from recurring.

These two ingredients can cause a lot of harm. Baking soda is very abrasive; excellent cleaning product for your kitchen sink.

The PH is not suitable for skin.

So many better choices. Why not invest in better products?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I completely agree with those who said using either is a recipe for disaster.

As Autumn says, there are much better ways and products to deal with blackheads without destroying your skin in the process.
MargaretScott
5% products discount

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, and it really works. Baking soda acts as exfoliate and it can help remove dead skin cells, making your skin smooth and soft. It is also and effective cleanser, without harsh chemicals. Lemons are also packed with vitamin C and citric acid which can cleanse oily skin. It dries out the pimples and destroys blackheads. You can also use baking soda with vinegar.
heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Yeah it might get rid of the acne temp. but it'll ruin your skin too. So why not just use something specifically for acne?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:05 am      Reply with quote
This sounds like a bad idea. Neither are great for skin. I would suggested using a BHA product.
sevastra
5% products discount

Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Wow. Lemon nor baking soda will ruin your skin. Yes, baking soda is alkaline, and lemon juice is acidic, but when used modestly and in the correct manner, these can help skin problems. There are a ton of reviews for both products on various websites such as makeupalley and acne.org. There are a good amount of people who have had success using both of them for blackheads as wells as other skin aliments.

It's astounding to me people are so quick to write off natural remedies and are so gung ho to slather their faces with unhealthy chemicals. To each their own. I use both natural and chemical, but I usually stick to natural remedies.

Honey is also helpful for blackheads. Read up on that as well. If you do use the lemon, make sure to wear sunscreen afterwards. You should be doing that anyways, but the lemons can make your skin a bit photosensitive.

Good luck and do what you think is best for your skin!
heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
No one said natural remedies where bad...just fyi.

Baking soda...I wouldnt just put this on the face at home. for it to work-( in disincrustation) it needs to be mixed and applied a certain way in order to remove black heads. If you know how, ok, if you dont, dont even think about it.

Lemon on the other hand is a general no no for skin, it disrupts the skins acid mantle and throw things into wack.. maybe as an additive at the very very bottom of someone products list, other than that this is a bad idea.

So sincerely to everyone who wants to put a highly acidic or highly alkaline substance on your face...say good bye to healthy skin.
sevastra
5% products discount

Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, please. My skin loves me as it is blemish free, scarless, and bright and I've used lemons plenty of times. Sure, lemons don't work for everyone but there are tons of testaments to it. I'd much rather put my money into something afforable that gives results rather than buy into money making products that yield no results and make the skin worse off. I'm just offering my opinion. Heyhey, don't go around making such broad claims that lemons will ruin skin.
heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Its not that broad of a claim...

The acid mantle of the skin has a pH of 4-5,
the acid mantle helps your skin function in terms of:
flora,
anti bacterial,
and moisture content,
Lemons have a natural pH of about 2, it will irritate the skin. And if used on a regular basis disrupt those functions!

Not to add citrus fruits are phototoxic in most cases, and because of that reason I get very irritated when people recommend it based solely off there own personal experience. It could potentially "hurt" someone else. AKA lemon juice + sunlight could = chem. burn.

If you want to treat black heads, its simple, use something thats made to do just that. BHA like listed above would be a good idea.
sevastra
5% products discount

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp?ItemId=95335&Lemon-Juice&Unlisted-Brand&Treatments

To the OP-
There's a link to reviews for lemons on makeupalley. I tried to link reviews as well on acne.org, but I'm on my phone.
sevastra
5% products discount

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Heyhey,
What you've recommened (the bha) is considered phototoxic. As well as other chemically laden products such as ahas, retin a, chemical peels, etc. Those in comparison to lemons are much more extreme on the skin hence the side effects listed for them such as peeling, flaking, redness, etc. But those are completely safe for the skin, but not lemons, right? Something that we can ingest is a hazard... Makes sense.

Also, I have really sensitive skin and I never had a reaction to lemons. To say they cause chemical burns is so off base...maybe one in a hundred people, if that, would have a reaction that strong from lemons. A person would be more likely to suffer from a reaction like that from a peel. But because that's marketed for the skin, it's completely safe... Give me a break!

What works for one may not work for someone else. As I said before, as long as you use ANY product on your face modestly and in the right way, there should not be a porblem.
heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
sevastra wrote:
chemically laden products such as ahas, retin a, chemical peels, etc. Those in comparison to lemons are much more extreme on the skin hence the side effects listed for them such as peeling, flaking, redness, etc. But those are completely safe for the skin, but not lemons, right? Something that we can ingest is a hazard... Makes sense.

Those products actually work with our skins functions...so there not really a problem in my opinion.

As for ingestion..lemon would "burn"or irritate the esophagus and digestive lining which is why people don't actually eat them as far as I know. And when they do..the stomachs more equipt for that job than facial skin is.

I suppose youre right,
They are phototoxic too...but not in the same amout because of the way they interact...you have acid sitting on your skin(lemon acid) your at a higher risk, except retin a. of course which is even worse. All of us know to use sunscreen after retin a though, not everyone knows to use it after a lemon.

And more so you know...chemical peels are controlled, and I myself have used lemon on my skin when I was younger and obtained a bit of a burn..

I dont think I have the patience to argue you anymore, I've never been good at explaining things without verbally talking, but I do know what I'm talking about in general. Its a bad idea, you don't think so- ok, you do you.
sevastra
5% products discount

Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, I can't beat a dead horse. It's just beyond me because your argument doesn't add up.

For the record, you do realize that even water can throw off the skins acid mantle, right? That's why people who excessively wash their skin end up being more oily because they're stripping their skin of the natural moisture barrier and oils it's meant to have so the skin over produces the oil it's lacking.

Also, I don't agree with your statement that chemically laden products work with the skins function, if they did there wouldn't be such harsh side effects. Also, most products like retin a/bha or anything that exfolaites the skin, have warning labels that state to use sunscreen with it because of the photosensitivity that comes along with those products. So you saying lemons are phototoxic pale in comparison to products that actually have warning labels and peel the skin.

If someone doesn't know to use sunscreen after using a lemon, they lack common sense. Most people are aware lemons contain acid. Using sunscreen should be done everyday regardless of if you are using anything on your skin.

And one last thing, lemon is typically used in water often. I wouldn't suggest eating an entire one daily, but using it for flavoring is absolutely fine and safe.

I see we stand on opposite ends of this, which is fine. I'll do me as you said, and you do you.

Have a good day!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:52 am      Reply with quote
sevastra wrote:
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp?ItemId=95335&Lemon-Juice&Unlisted-Brand&Treatments

To the OP-
There's a link to reviews for lemons on makeupalley. I tried to link reviews as well on acne.org, but I'm on my phone.

I would be cautious with reviews on MUA or other forums.

I have been on MUA for almost 12 years. I guarantee that an educated member (from the skin care board) would NOT write a glowing review for baking soda and lemon juice.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |