Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Retin A cream vs micro. Effectiveness/irritation comparisons
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I have started out with tretinoin .025 and noticed some irritation. A bit more than I would have liked. A lot of hair dandruff is the worst, is that normal by the way?

My question is, would the Retin A micro or the cream be just as effective for anti-aging as plain tretinoin? And which one of those would be better for anti-aging effectiveness and also irritation?

Are there generic forms of the micro and creams? If so, what are they called?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:05 am      Reply with quote
Okay Tretinoin is Retin A, and it just comes in different mediums, i.e. gel, cream, micro gel. The micro gel is usually less irritating because it releases the Retin A gradually and not all in one doze whereas the gel does it all in one kind of hit.

Now you say you have a lot of hair dandruff? Are you applying it to your scalp? The results or irritation does not usually last forever and happens at different times for different people. If anything its a sign its working.
stillerfan21 wrote:
Hello, I have started out with tretinoin .025 and noticed some irritation. A bit more than I would have liked. A lot of hair dandruff is the worst, is that normal by the way?

My question is, would the Retin A micro or the cream be just as effective for anti-aging as plain tretinoin? And which one of those would be better for anti-aging effectiveness and also irritation?

Are there generic forms of the micro and creams? If so, what are they called?
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Not applying to scalp. I started Vit C DIY serum, Retin A and switched lotions to Cerave. Maybe it was a result of starting one of those regimens, but I never had dandruff before, so i am assuming.

Im assuming Retin A would have a big copay for my insurance, whereas Tretinoin did not have any copay. Thats why I asked if there were generic forms of the micro and the cream. I dont want to have a high copay.

TheresaMary, I have come across your posts about yoru experience with Retin A. Do you have to totally avoid the sun? I am going on a trip to Florida late summer. Should I not lay out to try for a tan?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Wait I’m getting confused because you mentioned dandruff which is something you get on your hair/scalp? Did you mean peelies from the Retin A?

Retin A is basically Tretinoin. Tretinoin is the pharmaceutical name, but you will find them often referred to as one or the other. In essence they are exactly the same thing.

Now I’ve used Retin A for over 30 years, but always have used sun protection since starting it – as my derm advised me to. I even use it if I am staying indoors as UVA and UVB rays can penetrate glass etc so even if you don’t leave the house – your face can still be harmed by those rays. So using some form of protection from UVA and UVB rays is ESSENTIAL. The skin is more sensitive to sunlight when you use Retin A so you have to use protection of some sort. You don’t have to avoid the sun, but you want to ensure your not putting your skin at risk.

I wouldn’t advise trying out for a tan no matter what your age – as a tan is simply sun damaged skin. Your choice though :0)
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:09 am Post subject:
Wait I’m getting confused because you mentioned dandruff which is something you get on your hair/scalp? Did you mean peelies from the Retin A?

It is all over my hair front to back. When I comb my hands through my hair, the white flaky stuff falls off. I googled pictures of dandruff. It definitely looks like that.

Quote:
Retin A is basically Tretinoin. Tretinoin is the pharmaceutical name, but you will find them often referred to as one or the other. In essence they are exactly the same thing.

I know this. But Retin A is more expensive than generic Tretinoin. Thats why I was asking if the micro and cream forms come in generic forms as well

Quote:
Now I’ve used Retin A for over 30 years, but always have used sun protection since starting it – as my derm advised me to. I even use it if I am staying indoors as UVA and UVB rays can penetrate glass etc so even if you don’t leave the house – your face can still be harmed by those rays. So using some form of protection from UVA and UVB rays is ESSENTIAL. The skin is more sensitive to sunlight when you use Retin A so you have to use protection of some sort. You don’t have to avoid the sun, but you want to ensure your not putting your skin at risk.

I wouldn’t advise trying out for a tan no matter what your age – as a tan is simply sun damaged skin. Your choice though :0)

I am now using SPF30 all day long every day. It is in the moisturizer I use (Cerave AM). As for tanning, I was just wondering if laying out on the beach for an hour or so can cause serious damage while on Tretinoin. Keep in mind I will still be using the SPF while on the beach.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
stillerfan21 wrote:
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:09 am Post subject:

It is all over my hair front to back. When I comb my hands through my hair, the white flaky stuff falls off. I googled pictures of dandruff. It definitely looks like that.

Quote:

I know this. But Retin A is more expensive than generic Tretinoin. Thats why I was asking if the micro and cream forms come in generic forms as well

Quote:

I am now using SPF30 all day long every day. It is in the moisturizer I use (Cerave AM). As for tanning, I was just wondering if laying out on the beach for an hour or so can cause serious damage while on Tretinoin. Keep in mind I will still be using the SPF while on the beach.

The Cerave AM sunscreen does not state what % zinc oxide it has. Likely very low. And how much sunscreen are you applying on your face/neck? It's not just about using sunscreen, you have to use enough and re-apply when necessary. You need aprox. 1/4 tsp for the face and the same amount for the neck. Most people get less than 1/2 the SPF stated on the bottle with the amount they apply cutting themselves seriously short. Considering sunscreen is the #1 ant-aging product one can use, this is a very bad idea. Laying out and getting a tan and trying to seriously use Tretinoin should not be used in the same sentence.
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
The Cerave AM sunscreen does not state what % zinc oxide it has. Likely very low.

It says Zinc Oxide 3.5%, Octocrylene 2%, Homosalate 12% and Octinoxate 7.5%.
Is this not enough?

Quote:
And how much sunscreen are you applying on your face/neck? It's not just about using sunscreen, you have to use enough and re-apply when necessary.

Right now in the winter while I sit at an office with no windows all day, I apply the Cerave AM liberally in the morning, then once at 2pm.

Quote:

You need aprox. 1/4 tsp for the face and the same amount for the neck. Most people get less than 1/2 the SPF stated on the bottle with the amount they apply cutting themselves seriously short. Considering sunscreen is the #1 ant-aging product one can use, this is a very bad idea.

1/4 tsp of what exactly? The Zinc Oxide Powder? Or 1/4 tsp of a sunscreen lotion product? I havent read too much about sunscreen. I plan on doing everything possible to aid the use of Tretinoin. Can you enlighten me on SPF and sunscreens? Is there an inexpensive solution I can use, or can you point me to a product? Could I use the zinc oxide powder and mix it with my Cerave Moisturizing lotion?

Quote:
Laying out and getting a tan and trying to seriously use Tretinoin should not be used in the same sentence.

Are the effects that bad when on Tretinoin? So does that mean responsible Tretinoin users dont ever go out in the sun? And can never enjoy a nice vacation outdoors?
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
3.5% may be enough for you but would never be for me. I stick to at least 18% zinc. Also not a fan of chemical sunscreens in general.
You may be indoors but dont you go outside for lunch, etc. when it's sunny? All exposure adds up. 1/4 tsp of ANY sunscreen. No it's not as simple as mixing some zinc powder to your lotion. It needs to be formulated well and unless your nifty in the DIY dept, it is a very bad idea. Yes the effects are that bad while on Tretinoin and worse. Your skin will now be more sun sensitive. Of course Tretinoin users go out in the sun. It's not all or nothing. You just have to be sensible about it and take it to whatever degree you feel you need to (hats, long sleeve shirts, shades, avoiding strong UV ray hours.) Look into Burnout sunscreen and go from there. Search zinc oxide sunscreens on this site.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:50 am      Reply with quote
[quote="stillerfan21"]
Quote:

Okay but if you are not putting it in your hair or on your scalp then I’m not sure how you think its related to the Tretinoin?

[quote="stillerfan21"]
Quote:

They are one and the same thing. Yes the micro does come in generic forms but from memory its also called micro but you want to chat this over with a qualified medical professional like a derm because the results you are speaking of are not normal and so there may be something else taking place here.
[quote="stillerfan21"]
Quote:

Okay that’s a good start but may not be enough for you. I would not risk exposing my skin to unnecessary damage but I’m a lot older than you I’m sure. With any sunscreen you need to apply it regularly. Start doing research into them and you will understand moreso why. I am not based in a sunny place and regularly apply an SPF60 every hour – even if I am not out in the sun because I am not risking unnecessary damage.
dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I have patches of eczema that tend to flare up due to allergies/stress/contact with irritants. It has always been on the back of my neck area, but when I was using tretinoin, patches appeared behind my ears, under my jaw, on the front of my throat & upper chest--places they had never been before. I was only using the cream on my face.

I also have a fun reaction to benzoyl peroxide, using the tiniest bit of a spot treatment on my chin, cheek, or jaw will cause my eyelids to be swollen, itchy & red the next day.

The point is, I believe that topicals can have weird side effects on areas adjacent to their application. After all, once the medication is absorbed into living cells or capillaries, it can certainly migrate around a bit. You'll just have to experiment a bit to know whether your dandruff is a coincidence or really caused by the tretinoin, then decide whether it's worth putting up with for the results you're getting elsewhere.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |