Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Home-made vitamin C serum w/ tablets
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mcc23
5% products discount

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Hey guys! Been a while since I've been on the boards.

I wanted to take a crack at making my own vitamin C serum today. I only have vitamin C tablets at the moment. I've also got some old dark dropper bottles laying around I could use. I've read that people have had success using these.
I'm trying to determine the amount of tablets to use to get a 20% serum concentration. Also, how can I make sure that the pH stays <3? My understanding is that it needs to be <3 because anything above will just cause more oxidative stress.

Thanks in advance!
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Do it the right way and do not use C tablets. They contain fillers, etc. which you don't want in your serum. Use 100% pure powder.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Tablets contain fillers, some of which may not dissolve well. It's difficult to determine how much active vitamin C is in a tablet and how much is a filler. The fillers may also impact pH when dissolved. Would strongly suggest you get a L-AA powder suitable for skin care. It's cheap from Lotioncrafters, Skinactives or skin essential actives.
mcc23
5% products discount

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Will do. Thanks
mcc23
5% products discount

Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:57 am      Reply with quote
Hey, this is the Vit C powder I plan on going with. I'm going to buy the vegetable glycerine from the store

I can't post links so heres the title of it. I found it on Amazon

BulkSupplements Pure Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) Powder C

Also, perhaps could someone guide me on the ratios of Vit. C to water to glycerine to achieve a 20% serum solution. Thanks!
mcc23
5% products discount

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Just an update, along with a question.

I've been having difficulty getting the Vit C powder to dissolve in the water. I'm using a 20% concentration recipe which calls for 2 tsp of c powder w 7 tsp of distilled water. I've tried shaking for a couple hours, sitting it over night, as well as putting the bottle in some warm water.. No joy. The only way I can seem to get it to dissolve completely is to further dilute it. More along the lines of 2 tsp of C with ~10 tsp of distilled water.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is the vodka, but I was trying to hold off on that. Any recommendations would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
mcc23 wrote:
Just an update, along with a question.

I've been having difficulty getting the Vit C powder to dissolve in the water. I'm using a 20% concentration recipe which calls for 2 tsp of c powder w 7 tsp of distilled water. I've tried shaking for a couple hours, sitting it over night, as well as putting the bottle in some warm water.. No joy. The only way I can seem to get it to dissolve completely is to further dilute it. More along the lines of 2 tsp of C with ~10 tsp of distilled water.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is the vodka, but I was trying to hold off on that. Any recommendations would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

I'm able to dissolve it in water in a small cup that I submerge in semi-hot water. Your version of C powder may be a little harder to dissolve or not. Yea try the vodka. That should work well.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:04 am      Reply with quote
You could try grinding it up before adding the water. If you have a mortar and pestle that would be ideal to use. Or a small glass bowl and a glass jar. Put the powder into the bowl and grind it finer. Avoid using anything metal.

I've had some powders that take longer to dissolve, but never more than an hour with stirring and a warm water bath. You may also want to contact the manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions.
mcc23
5% products discount

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try making a new batch tonight at 20% concentration. This time I'm going to take the Vit. C powder out of the fridge a couple hours before hand to let it get to room temperature. We'll see if that helps. I'll also do the warm water bath. If that doesn't work, I'll try the vodka. If all else fails, I'll just buy the Vitamin C powder from LC that everyone has been recommending.

Thanks!
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
mcc23 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try making a new batch tonight at 20% concentration. This time I'm going to take the Vit. C powder out of the fridge a couple hours before hand to let it get to room temperature. We'll see if that helps. I'll also do the warm water bath. If that doesn't work, I'll try the vodka. If all else fails, I'll just buy the Vitamin C powder from LC that everyone has been recommending.

Thanks!

I'd keep the C powder out of the fridge. You run the chance of it picking up unwanted moisture in there. Just keep it in an area that is not too warm.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |