Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

needling and autoimmune disease involving inflammation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Loboto-Me

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:21 am      Reply with quote
I've been reading about the inflammation factor involved with needling and now I'm wondering if I need extra steps or different steps when I used my dermaroller?

I have RA which naturally causes inflammation, not only in joints but within soft tissue and organs. Now, I take meds for this (which is aging me quickly). I also take no steroidal anti inflammatory medication. I just ordered the Sirius Nova which is an LED, and microcurrent machine, so as soon as I get it, I'll combine the LED to help stop the inflammation resulting from the needling session.
I've only been using the .25 dermaroller so far and got brave enough to order the .5 and the .75. They sit unused at the moment, until I get the LED machine.

Does anyone have any advice and experience to pass on?
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have fibromyalgia and although I don't have RA I have OA with my Fibro and Thyroid . I haven't had any problems with microneedeling. I now use the Derminator , followed with the LED. Be sure to pay attention to your diet, Watch your vitamins and minerals, amino acids. Use good pure topicals on your skin. You should do well.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the encouragement rmc7 Smile. I find that this stupid disease has really wreaked(sp?) havoc on my skin. Lot's of fine facial lines caused by premature aging due to this stupid disease. Am I right in thinking that using the LED lighting after derma rolling will help help tame the inflammation? I'm worried that because I'm probably already inflamed or perhaps sensitive to begin with, it might be more difficult for my system to produce new, fresh tissue? I haven't read up on pure tropicals, what are these? I use Timeless C+E+Ferulic serum after needling.
Also, I was reading earlier last week, and lost a thread discussing the use of all types of gadgets (LED, Dermarolling, serums) in combination. The person was asking in what order they should use these items? If anyone can link me up with that discussion, I'd be grateful.
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Loboto-Me,

Dr. Setterfield has a Facebook page where he answers questions. I don't know whether or not you have to be a professional in the field to ask questions. But you can try and see what he would say about someone with RA and micro needling. Perhaps he might have additional suggestions to make sure the process would be safe.

I find his answers to questions asked are very informative.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:34 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Loboto-Me,

Dr. Setterfield has a Facebook page where he answers questions. I don't know whether or not you have to be a professional in the field to ask questions. But you can try and see what he would say about someone with RA and micro needling. Perhaps he might have additional suggestions to make sure the process would be safe.

I find his answers to questions asked are very informative.

He seems to rarely ever answer questions on it from what I've seen. He mainly answers questions about where he will be doing a clinic next. Can't say I blame him. Imagine the zillion questions he would have to answer if he was not this way.

https://www.facebook.com/doc.setterfield
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Pandex 12,

I kinda figured that something like that was going on, but I thought the issue of RA was important enough that he might choose to answer it.

A few years back Barefootgirl asked him a lot of questions for everyone who participated in her thread (which was discussing his first book) But it wasn't through Facebook as far as i could tell.(I didn't participate in the thread as i had no interest in needling at that time.)

But it could well be that he responded to her questions because he was less busy/popular at that time.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 am      Reply with quote
Pandex,12

oops… I misread your post..trying to read fast cause I am time constricted.

i thought you had said that he only answers questions from people who are attending his upcoming clinics…and i thought that might be possible because he is often addressing professional questions.

but i realized you were saying, (i think), that he doesn't answer any questions, just announces his upcoming clinics.

but if you continue to look you'll find very interesting answers... and comments... to many questions..i don't know when they were asked, perhaps long long ago, but anyway they are still there and, imo, very worthwhile reading.

LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Ask your doctor. Explain needling and then you can proceed with confidence.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for my Nova, so I've not used the larger needle sized dermarollers yet.
I'm getting impatient, but it's only been a week.

I was reading further down on the thread "Dermarolling eyebags under the eyes". Lucky me, I don't have that problem so far, but like I said, I'm basically devouring every dermarolling, and anti aging gadget thread that I come across.

On that thread, someone mentioned that they use a mask made of turmeric and yogurt when they dermaroll since it's anti inflammatory. I went and read up on it, an I think I might go give myself a small needle rolling to see how it works for me. I think this might be helpful... as long as I don't look jaundiced afterwards LOL!!
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Loboto-Me
I am concerned about your RA condition in terms of needling. Please do more research before you roll.

I mentioned Dr Setterling's Facebook page as a place to start. He also has a book which is a good idea to read before you roll (for anyone but especially,imo, for someone with an autoimmune disease).

A clinic associated with him in Victoria BC is called Dermal Integrity.

They follow his protocol of using a .2mm-.3mm roller daily (first 2 weeks only every other day) and a .5mm roller once a week at most.

Anything above that is considered medical rolling and not to be done at home.

The site explains how even using a .5mm roller more than once a week can create a protein that destroys collagen.

They recommend rolling with the .2mm-,3mm roller only 2-3 minutes a day with a light touch like a paint brush.

They have incredible photos on their site (taken with a professional skin care photo machine) of before and afters (3-6 months later) following this procedure

The photos include using, along with their rolling program, a copper peptide and vitamin serum advocated by Dr. Setterfield, Thsy are incredibly pure and fairly inexpensive although they can be obvious diy'ed if one had the desire.

anyway, although there are different protocols for needling, many done successful by different individuals posting on EDS, but Dr Setterfield is prob the major voice in the world right now for needling.

He is very concerned about substances used before during and after rolls.

Because your skin is already being compromised by your illness and meds it might be a good idea to buy his book. He also has an online needling course.

My Fawnie skincare also offers clean products that follow his protocol.

jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:49 am      Reply with quote
I also think, if you expressed interest in any of their products the med doc there would respond to your question about rolling with RA.

Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:45 am      Reply with quote
jasminerosey wrote:
Loboto-Me
I am concerned about your RA condition in terms of needling. Please do more research before you roll.

I mentioned Dr Setterling's Facebook page as a place to start. He also has a book which is a good idea to read before you roll (for anyone but especially,imo, for someone with an autoimmune disease).

A clinic associated with him in Victoria BC is called Dermal Integrity.

They follow his protocol of using a .2mm-.3mm roller daily (first 2 weeks only every other day) and a .5mm roller once a week at most.

Anything above that is considered medical rolling and not to be done at home.

The site explains how even using a .5mm roller more than once a week can create a protein that destroys collagen.

They recommend rolling with the .2mm-,3mm roller only 2-3 minutes a day with a light touch like a paint brush.

They have incredible photos on their site (taken with a professional skin care photo machine) of before and afters (3-6 months later) following this procedure

The photos include using, along with their rolling program, a copper peptide and vitamin serum advocated by Dr. Setterfield, Thsy are incredibly pure and fairly inexpensive although they can be obvious diy'ed if one had the desire.

anyway, although there are different protocols for needling, many done successful by different individuals posting on EDS, but Dr Setterfield is prob the major voice in the world right now for needling.

He is very concerned about substances used before during and after rolls.

Because your skin is already being compromised by your illness and meds it might be a good idea to buy his book. He also has an online needling course.

My Fawnie skincare also offers clean products that follow his protocol.

I've posted about this before and am still confused on the subject. That subject being why is there such a difference in philosophy as to how often to roll with a 0.5mm or longer roller. That Dermal Integrity site which is affiliated with Dr. Setterfield say's it is safe to roll with a 0.5mm once a week while his latest book say's 0.5mm should be used once every 28 days. I don't have the book but just going by what those who have read it are saying. It's not an issue for me personally because I use either a 0.75mm or 1.0mm once every 28 days as I take some of what both Dr. Setterfield and Dr. Fernandez say. Especially Dr. Setterfield's view of rolling often with shorter needles (0.20-0.30mm) in regards to collagen production.
I just find it odd the wide difference in views from the same person. Or am I missing something.
I have read Fawnie saying that Dr. Setterfields new book says to roll once every 28 days with a 0.5mm roller. Other's have said the same thing such as in this link:
http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty-banter/topic/442747/pagenumber/1/index.aspx

http://www.dermalintegrity.com/how-often-should-i-roll-with-my-mr5.html

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=52090
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Pandex 12,

it's difficult for me to understand, too.

I think if I had tougher skin I would try the .5mm roller once a week as the results from the Dermal Integrity site are really impressive. But my skin had been sensitive lately, so i would personally only do the .5mm once a month.

Loboto-Me

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Exactly Pandax12, I'm confused as well. I've read that Dermal Integrity site, which I think would be more recent than his book, and it says to roll more often than I'm actually comfortable with. The reason I'm not comfortable with what the site is stating is because it's been said that I should be rolling every 3 or 4 weeks in other posts that have been claiming the professionals are saying.
I will be doing the .75 and the .5 (on thinner areas) when the timing is right. I just don't think I'm getting the right or the consistent information from sites that are related to the professionals.... eek!

I understand Jasminerosey that you are rightly trying to protect me from any damage, but what should I really believe when even the Dr's sites (or affiliated) don't agree with each other?

I'm still of the thought that the LED will help... there's got to be an answer to my dilemma! I refuse to be sick and older than my years! I guess I might have to become a beautiful corpse LOL! All kidding aside, I want to at least look my age. I don't need to walk like an old lady (at times) and look like one too. Sad
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, Loboto-Me, I didn't mean to confuse you more. I just wanted to make sure you had some of the 'basics'…..because then differences can be intuited for each individual skin type/situation.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |