Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Review for Badger spf30 Sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I just got this product today and of course I had to put some on immediately to see what it looks and feels like, I couldn't even wait till tomorrow morning. I've already washed it off. Mostly, I'm really disappointed... This product had so much potential! Why did they make it so freaking thick!?

It's a really thick white paste. However, after that it gets better. A small amount did spread well over my face and it did feel moisturizing. There was only a slight white cast. The best part is that there was no flaking at all, which is my biggest concern. No matter how much I rubbed the product, there was no flaking. It sank in ok. I am probably going to use this by mixing it with other stuff. I am going to use this up, but my search for a great physical sunscreen that is also cost effective is not over!

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 20.5%
Other Ingredients: Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Blood Orange) Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Seabuckthorn Berry) CO2 Extract, Tanacetum Annum (Blue Tansy) Oil, Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang) Oil

2.9 oz. Tube
Price: $16.00

Also, I think I want to post a comparative review of all the purely physical sunscreens I've tried, would this go in this section or in the skin care section?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Yay! I'm making an update because I found a great use for the Badger sunscreen, and I no longer regret buying it!

I mixed the Badger sunscreen with the Dermalogica ultra sensitive spf 25 sunscreen. This dermalogica product has tinted titanium dioxide as the active ingredient. The tint is somewhere around NW 20-25, which is too dark for me. So I put some Badger and dermalogica in this little pot and mixed it, this wasn't as easy as it sounds.

It was pretty labor intensive actually. The Badger product is ridiculously clumpy, with little bits in it. So I had to crush out all the bits- like with a mortar and pestle. I was at it with a freshly washed lip gloss tube. I did not take exact measurements of the products, I just mixed something to match my skin.

Anyway, the end result is amazing as sunscreen/concealer for the eyes! It's like this waxy foundation. It's really easy to spread a thin even layer on the skin around my eyes and it doesn't look bad at all. It gives some coverage like a foundation would. This would be too heavy for use all over my face but just for around my eyes it's perfect!

Now, the dermalogica product has expired this past April. However, I've made the decision that since the active ingredient is titanium dioxide and that's stable, I'm not going to be too concerned with using it up asap. I'll just use it up in this way, so it's going to last me a while. I'm even less concerned about the Badger, since I just got it as soon as a batch became available at the Badger website and the expiration on the tube is 2 years from now.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 6:02 am      Reply with quote
Nimue, thank you for your review.
This would be a great idea to post a comparative review of all the purely physical sunscreens you`ve tried.
I`m on a search for a good physical ss with high PPD number, and suitable for my oily t-zone, so it should not be greasy at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
Nimue, thank you for your review.
This would be a great idea to post a comparative review of all the purely physical sunscreens you`ve tried.
I`m on a search for a good physical ss with high PPD number, and suitable for my oily t-zone, so it should not be greasy at all.

I think I'll do that! I'm guessing it would go in this forum. I have the Devita body sunscreen on the way, although I have no idea when I'll actually get it, since the place I got it froom doesn't seem to offer the best service. I ordered it almost a week ago and it's still "pending shipment". I've already send them an inquiry about it.

From other people's reviews on it though, it sounds like the Devita sunscreen is what you want- it's physical with 14% zinc oxide and it's not greasy at all. Supposedly, it's so light that people worry if it gives that much protection. I think 14% zinc oxide is good for a daily sunscreen.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 8:25 am      Reply with quote
yes, a lot of people were really satisfied with Devita ss, but there was a discussion here on EDS on it, and people were worried that it contained nano-micronized zink which could penetrate one`s blood-stream. The Devita company seems not to give an irrefragable answer on that...

from others` reviews on physical ss, I`ve found out that Sofina and Shiseido were the most cosmetically elegant and non-greasy (after Devita one) but they both are of low PPD, around 8-9.

bushy also recommended Remergent SPF30 and Osmosis Shelter sunscreens.
I`ve seen a video on Osmosis web-site presenting this ss, where it was said that Osmosis Shelter was of high PPD and contained nano-zink, but it was in silicone-coating there to prevent it from penetrating.

donnow anything about Remergent though... bushy said it was not greasy, but it will be helpful to know the PPD also... and it is expensive.

so now I`m considering SVR SPF 50 tinted. It has PPD 20, not so elegant as Devita or Sofina, but still manageable. I`m little worried about the tint though.

Anyway, it`s a good idea to make a comparative review as I`m still on the search for a sunscreen of my dream Smile

would you mind telling your skin-type?
it can make a difference when judging a sunscreen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I can tell you that the zinc oxide in Devita is micro sized rather than nano sized. Generally the border between nano and micro is 100 nm. Nano sized means less than 100 nano meters, and the zinc oxide in Devita is greater than 100 nano meters:

Contains: Purified Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides (derived from coconut oil), Stearic Acid, Vegetable Glycerin, Rhatany Extract (Natural Sun Screen), Glyceryl Stearate (from vegetable oil), Soy Lecithin, 14% Micronized Zinc Oxide [> 100nm - un-coated], Vitamin E Acetate, Allantoin, Comfrey Root Extract, Grapeseed Extract.

Even so, I have not seen any evidence that nano sized zinc oxide is harmful (nano sized titanium dioxide is another story). I have seen some inconclusive studies and some studies that have shown the contrary. By contrast, there's plenty evidence that chemical sunscreens are harmful.

I'm not sure how to describe my skin- I'm 21 and I have my acne under control. I think that I'm sensitive with combination skin. When I had a dermalogica face mapping done (not on my own, by a professional) that's what I was told. I tend to be dry rather than oily. My skin generally responds well to dermalogica products.

I'll look into those other sunscreens you mentioned. I think (but could be wrong) that I've looked them up before since the names are familiar and they're either too expensive for me or part chemical.

Aiva wrote:
yes, a lot of people were really satisfied with Devita ss, but there was a discussion here on EDS on it, and people were worried that it contained nano-micronized zink which could penetrate one`s blood-stream. The Devita company seems not to give an irrefragable answer on that...

from others` reviews on physical ss, I`ve found out that Sofina and Shiseido were the most cosmetically elegant and non-greasy (after Devita one) but they both are of low PPD, around 8-9.

bushy also recommended Remergent SPF30 and Osmosis Shelter sunscreens.
I`ve seen a video on Osmosis web-site presenting this ss, where it was said that Osmosis Shelter was of high PPD and contained nano-zink, but it was in silicone-coating there to prevent it from penetrating.

donnow anything about Remergent though... bushy said it was not greasy, but it will be helpful to know the PPD also... and it is expensive.

so now I`m considering SVR SPF 50 tinted. It has PPD 20, not so elegant as Devita or Sofina, but still manageable. I`m little worried about the tint though.

Anyway, it`s a good idea to make a comparative review as I`m still on the search for a sunscreen of my dream Smile

would you mind telling your skin-type?
it can make a difference when judging a sunscreen.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I've posted this before, but I'll put this here too because it looks like people may be confused by the terms micro and nano.

A primer to notation:

10^3=1000 is kilo (as in kilometer is 1000 meters)

10^0=1

10^-3=.001 is milli (as in millimeter is 1/100 of a meter)

10^-6=.000001 is micro

10^-9=.000000001 is nano

So a micro of something is 1000 times bigger than a nano of something. HTH!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 18, 2008 10:37 am      Reply with quote
thanks Nimue for enlightening me Very Happy
think I should have a look at this Devita ss!

as for chemical sunscreens, I have also read about their potential danger caused by unstability and it is the reason I`m going to switch to all physical.

I`m unsing LRP Fluide Extreme SPF 40 chemical now, but it is too greasy and my skin feels like it is suffocating under it. hate it Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 19, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
The order from goddess within is STILL pending shipment. I ordered it last Tuesday... Am I ever going to get the Devita? I'm not too unhappy about not getting it immediately (as long as I get it eventually!) because I still have the other sunscreens to use.

I still have some of the original mixture left (mexitan spf50 + dermalogica day bright spf15 + dermalogica ultra sensitive spf 25). By the way, the dermalogica day bright spf 15 is a chemical sunscreen. But it's such a small concentration and I was also mixing it with the other products so I thought it wasn't a big deal. I just wanted to use it up, but I won't repurchase that product. (and I did make sure that the chemical ingredients in it aren't the ones that react to physical sunscreen)

One I use it up and I'll finally have a jar available for mixing (lol- I'm running out of jars, I've at this point told my family not to throw out any small jars but instead to give them to me) So once I use my current mixture up, I'm going to make something by mixing Badger spf30 and dermalogica ultra sensitive spf 25 with the body cream from 100% pure. The badger product really isn't so bad once the clumps are worked out of it.
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Thought I would dig this topic out to add that I bought a whole load of badger sunscreens(unscented and baby friendly) as TK Maxx are selling them at a third of the normal retail price and knowing that they have a high Zinc Oxide content and having been searching for a sunscreen moisturiser I thought I had stumbled upon gold.

Well I have to say that I agree with Nimue, the sunscreen is very thick although it does not flake. For some reason my tubes also have hard bits in them which go soft after a while of being heated up. I am not sure why this is and have checked the sell by date but it is not out of date.

Anyway the sunscreen is not irritating in any way and as far as I am aware it does the job so for now am going to carry on using it. I just hope it will be effective enough to use when I start with Retin A.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Yep, I've got some Badger too and it has those hard flakes. If I smush them around as I spread it they go away, probably the heat from my skin helps. It's a decent, reasonable priced sunscreen, but I find it very greasy. I save it for those days when my skin feels dry or needs extra moisturizer. Sounds like a great buy at TjMaxx!
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
lately I've been finding my skin too dry for Devita, so I mix a pea-sized amount of Badger in with my Devita. It's the best of both worlds.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I agree with much of what was said. Here is my mini-review of the product:

My husband and I bought this sunscreen a couple months ago, and while we liked the ingredients, we found it to be thick, greasy, and it rubbed in poorly. It feels like you are wearing a mask. My husband used it for an all-day bike race, and his co-workers teased him for looking pasty white (maybe these are the flakes that others have referred to). It also has a little bit of a smell that we didn't care for. However, it was effective and it stayed on all day, whenever he used it, so it does work and prevent sunburn. All in all, though, we were not keen on it for the aesthetic reasons mentioned above, and so we will not be re-buying it. We have since found a couple other mineral sunscreens that we are more happy with and will use instead. HTH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 7:47 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
I agree with much of what was said. Here is my mini-review of the product:

My husband and I bought this sunscreen a couple months ago, and while we liked the ingredients, we found it to be thick, greasy, and it rubbed in poorly. It feels like you are wearing a mask. My husband used it for an all-day bike race, and his co-workers teased him for looking pasty white (maybe these are the flakes that others have referred to). It also has a little bit of a smell that we didn't care for. However, it was effective and it stayed on all day, whenever he used it, so it does work and prevent sunburn. All in all, though, we were not keen on it for the aesthetic reasons mentioned above, and so we will not be re-buying it. We have since found a couple other mineral sunscreens that we are more happy with and will use instead. HTH.

Which ones are you liking cm? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue, and the reason you are not satisfied with Devita is ...?

Nimue wrote:
I can tell you that the zinc oxide in Devita is micro sized rather than nano sized.
beauty mask
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I used Devita now and I just ordered Badger and waiting to try it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:28 am      Reply with quote
It's a great and protective sunscreen but is quite greasy.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a link on why some people use two sunscreens. Not my blog (N/A)

http://www.vivawoman.net/2014/11/why-i-use-two-different-sunscreens-together/

I have not tried the Derma-E but it is zinc oxide.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Yay! I'm making an update because I found a great use for the Badger sunscreen, and I no longer regret buying it!

I mixed the Badger sunscreen with the Dermalogica ultra sensitive spf 25 sunscreen. This dermalogica product has tinted titanium dioxide as the active ingredient. The tint is somewhere around NW 20-25, which is too dark for me. So I put some Badger and dermalogica in this little pot and mixed it, this wasn't as easy as it sounds.

It was pretty labor intensive actually. The Badger product is ridiculously clumpy, with little bits in it. So I had to crush out all the bits- like with a mortar and pestle. I was at it with a freshly washed lip gloss tube. I did not take exact measurements of the products, I just mixed something to match my skin.

Anyway, the end result is amazing as sunscreen/concealer for the eyes! It's like this waxy foundation. It's really easy to spread a thin even layer on the skin around my eyes and it doesn't look bad at all. It gives some coverage like a foundation would. This would be too heavy for use all over my face but just for around my eyes it's perfect!

Now, the dermalogica product has expired this past April. However, I've made the decision that since the active ingredient is titanium dioxide and that's stable, I'm not going to be too concerned with using it up asap. I'll just use it up in this way, so it's going to last me a while. I'm even less concerned about the Badger, since I just got it as soon as a batch became available at the Badger website and the expiration on the tube is 2 years from now.

I think the mixing of products to create a custom product is brilliant!

I have Paula's Choice (tinted) Resist spf 30. It is zinc oxide. I need to be careful applying it as I am fair and it is tinted. I like to apply over a moisturizer/sunscreen. (Currently La Roche Posay spf 30 - Canadian).

Anyone else layer sunscreen? Or mix (compatible) sunscreens to create a new one?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
I will prefer Green Beaver Natural Mineral Sunscreen Spray for body. less oily than Badger sunscreen and with higher non-nano zinc oxide of 24%.

Green Beaver Organic Certified sunscreen ingredients are natural, vegan and gluten-free, and it comes with a spray bottle.

Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |