Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

benefits of DIY ViT C serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
mansi123
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ALl,
I want to know WHAT and HOW SOON you do see the benefits of basic DIY Vitamin C serum ( made with L ascorbic acid + aloe vera or LAA+distilled water+glycerin)

Please advice..

Thanks
Mansi
bella1027

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
I'm interested in this as well. I have a girlfriend who has recently started her own c serum home-based company and it seems like people like it a lot, and from what I understand her recipe is very basic like what you've described. I personally have tried C+E ferulic from...skin physician or whoever.... It was expensive and I wasn't that impressed to be perfectly honest. I was very impressed with Obagi - it lightened my spots and firmed my skin - it never looked so amazing as when I used the Obagi nuderm system (I wasn't using their c serum). I'm looking for something that will give me great results like this but I just don't feel comfortable using hydroquinone long term, so hopefully someone will chime in with experience with c serum that isn't crazy expensive and will deliver great results.
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have used a DIY vitamin C serum from 2002 and I would not go without it.

It is an anti-oxidant that fights free radicals and also can fade hyperpigmentation.

It takes an average of about six weeks for skin cell turnover to occur, so fundamental differences will take time to see. The initial changes may be so subtle that it is hard to see the difference. You could take photos in good light before starting and again 6 weeks later in the same light to look for changes. Skin health is also dependent on lifestyle factors, so results may vary.

IMO vitamin C serum is an important addition to a skin care routine. A high quality vitamin C serum may cost $80 to 120 per ounce and I have tried some of those and I always return to my DIY C serum, made for a few dollars a month.

Smile

61 in 2/2021. Author of "Skin Remodeling DIY, An Introduction to the Underground World of Do-It-Yourself Skin Care" May 2015. Sunscreen/skin protection, DIY C serum, firming serums, Retin-A, OCM, FlexEffect from 2002, lymphatic massage, 6 rolls/year 1.5 mm derma roller from 2008, Infrared/Red LED from 2009, Galvanic/Ultrasound intermittent
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:33 am      Reply with quote
Yeah, I think I'm going to do a DIY Vit C serum. I just don't see how it can stay fresh otherwise.
I do use an inexpensive Vit C and Hyaluronic Acid serum that works better on my skin than the high end products I've tried.
But I don't know if I can believe it's as good as it gets.
Doing it myself will insure the freshness and the C %..And it's so cheap to make.
mansi123
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi All,
I have been using Vitamin C ( L ascorbic acid)+ aloe vera gel ( mix it directly everyday and apply) since last 7 months or so. I do not see the kind of benefits people on this forum have been talking about after using vitamin C serum.. like reduced pigmentation and fine lines..

Any advice? I am 41 years old.. How can I get the Vitamin C serum work for me?

Thanks,
Mansi
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I have been using Vitamin C ( L ascorbic acid)+ aloe vera gel ( mix it directly everyday and apply) since last 7 months or so. I do not see the kind of benefits people on this forum have been talking about after using vitamin C serum.. like reduced pigmentation and fine lines..

I have started DIY and am loving it more than the C serums I've bought.
A few things I might ask is if you're sure the C is mixing well enough in the Aloe Vera gel. I have to mix mine in warm water to get it to sufficiently dissolve.
And what percentage of C are you making your serum?
mansi123
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tigerlily009,
Yes my Vitamin C gets dissolved perfectly in aloe vera gel and it is not gritty at all.

I just take a really small pinch of Vitamin C crystal and mix it with enough gel ( 2 peas size) to cover the entire face..

What is it taht I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Mansi

tigerlily009 wrote:
Quote:

I have started DIY and am loving it more than the C serums I've bought.
A few things I might ask is if you're sure the C is mixing well enough in the Aloe Vera gel. I have to mix mine in warm water to get it to sufficiently dissolve.
And what percentage of C are you making your serum?
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Hi Tigerlily009,
Yes my Vitamin C gets dissolved perfectly in aloe vera gel and it is not gritty at all.

I just take a really small pinch of Vitamin C crystal and mix it with enough gel ( 2 peas size) to cover the entire face..

Thanks,
Mansi

Well, I'm certainly no expert and I realize that everything doesn't work the same for some as it does for others. But I'm just suggesting that if you haven't seen anything notable after 7 months that you might consider another recipe before hanging it up..
You could try one of the many recipes offered in the DIY or just try the simplest one with distilled warm water. (Sarah Vaughter suggested boiling (even) distilled water first to get the air bubbles out and then letting it cool off) Just make sure your % of C is 10-20%. You can make enough for a few days to a week and it still stays fresh enough.
Just a suggestion.
malgorzatah
5% products discount

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:02 am      Reply with quote
I'm using this simplest recipe - L ascorbic acid and boiled water - 1 part Vit. C crystals, 4 parts water.

I have a question - I've heard that Vit.C works very well with retinol. Do any of you use these two together? If so, in what order? Vit. C first and then retinol (or retinoid) or the other way round?

tigerlily009 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tigerlily009,

Thanks,
Mansi

Well, I'm certainly no expert and I realize that everything doesn't work the same for some as it does for others. But I'm just suggesting that if you haven't seen anything notable after 7 months that you might consider another recipe before hanging it up..
You could try one of the many recipes offered in the DIY or just try the simplest one with distilled warm water. (Sarah Vaughter suggested boiling (even) distilled water first to get the air bubbles out and then letting it cool off) Just make sure your % of C is 10-20%. You can make enough for a few days to a week and it still stays fresh enough.
Just a suggestion.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I have a question - I've heard that Vit.C works very well with retinol. Do any of you use these two together? If so, in what order? Vit. C first and then retinol (or retinoid) or the other way round?

I have heard that you can and that it works very well together. I don't because I use Retin-A and they would be too harsh together ...so I alternate.
Just be mindful of how much your skin can tolerate without becoming irritated.

Usually the rule of thumb is to apply the thinnest serum first and the thickest next. This is true for all skincare products. Thinnest to thickest.
malgorzatah
5% products discount

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply, Tigerliy. I'll experiment and see how this combination works.

I've never heard about this rule, but come to think of it, it sounds logical and I more or less do that every day - first cleaner and toner, then AHA, serum, cream.

One more question - if I use this simplest Vit. C serum (LAA + water) I do not have to mess with pH, do I? It's low enough for Vit. C to work?

tigerlily009 wrote:
Quote:

I have heard that you can and that it works very well together. I don't because I use Retin-A and they would be too harsh together ...so I alternate.
Just be mindful of how much your skin can tolerate without becoming irritated.

Usually the rule of thumb is to apply the thinnest serum first and the thickest next. This is true for all skincare products. Thinnest to thickest.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
One more question - if I use this simplest Vit. C serum (LAA + water) I do not have to mess with pH, do I? It's low enough for Vit. C to work?

I did check the ph the first time I made it but haven't bothered since ..
If it concerns you you can always buy some strips either online or at a drugstore.
If you are able to see results without it being overly irritating than you should be fine.
mansi123
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tigerlily,

Do you think that my VitaminC recipe could be the issues ( it is just a really small pinch of L ascorbic acid + aloe vera gel)..

Do you think changing the recipe might give me benefits? Please advice.. and why do you think so?

Thanks,
Mansi
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
mansi123 wrote:
Hi Tigerlily,

Do you think that my VitaminC recipe could be the issues ( it is just a really small pinch of L ascorbic acid + aloe vera gel)..

Do you think changing the recipe might give me benefits? Please advice.. and why do you think so?

Thanks,
Mansi

These questions have already been answered.
My place is not to persuade you to do anything.
If you're happy with what you're doing than keep doing it the same way. If not, it's your decision.
Henrietta Bunworth

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Would like some advice on the ratio of my subject ingredients please.
I'm 63 with crepey neck and jowl lines that really depress me. Other than those flaws my face is pretty smooth; minimal laugh-lines, etc.
I've used OTC products without much success and want to use organics because it just feels right.
I have 20% vitamin c serum, rosehip seed oil and organic virgin coconut oil. What would be a good blend, or apply individually, in what order?

Thanks all for your advice!
Henri
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Okay a few things here. Vit C serum is very unstable, light, heat etc all can impact it so that’s why store bought products often fall short of making your own stuff. However for it to be truly beneficial you need to ensure it’s the right ph strength (10-20%) – otherwise it will do nothing for you and is a waste. Likewise if you make a small amount and then leave it next to a heater or on a window ledge you are going to deactivate a lot of the goodness capable from it.

7 months is a longish time and sufficient time to have seen results but I suspect that doing only a pinch and not checking the ph may be why you haven’t seen anything special, but its also important to be realistic. What were you expecting and where are you starting off from?

With combining it with Retinoids, probably a good thing to do is use the Vit C in the morning, under sunscreen and then the Retinoids at night before bed.

Henri – in your case I’m not sure a vit C serum alone is going to help with those areas. You will want to try microcurrent or facial exercises to help with both those in conjunction with the vit C. Some people find coconut oil clogs their pores – not what I’ve found but what I’ve heard a lot.
mansi123
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:35 am      Reply with quote
HI TheresaMry,
Thanks.. I was looking for a reduction in pigmentation and a smoother skin with Vitamin C which I did not get..

May be eyeballing vitamin C is not good.. May be I need to make exact 20% serum and then I will be able to see some results... Let me try that.

Thanks,
Mansi

TheresaMary wrote:
Okay a few things here. Vit C serum is very unstable, light, heat etc all can impact it so that’s why store bought products often fall short of making your own stuff. However for it to be truly beneficial you need to ensure it’s the right ph strength (10-20%) – otherwise it will do nothing for you and is a waste. Likewise if you make a small amount and then leave it next to a heater or on a window ledge you are going to deactivate a lot of the goodness capable from it.

7 months is a longish time and sufficient time to have seen results but I suspect that doing only a pinch and not checking the ph may be why you haven’t seen anything special, but its also important to be realistic. What were you expecting and where are you starting off from?

With combining it with Retinoids, probably a good thing to do is use the Vit C in the morning, under sunscreen and then the Retinoids at night before bed.

Henri – in your case I’m not sure a vit C serum alone is going to help with those areas. You will want to try microcurrent or facial exercises to help with both those in conjunction with the vit C. Some people find coconut oil clogs their pores – not what I’ve found but what I’ve heard a lot.
Arianna2300

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I have been reading this site and looking over all the recipes to make my own DIY Vitamen C.

I am really scared of messing up the measurements and causing damage to my skin.

Is this possible?
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:05 am      Reply with quote
Arianna2300 wrote:
I have been reading this site and looking over all the recipes to make my own DIY Vitamen C.

I am really scared of messing up the measurements and causing damage to my skin.

Is this possible?

This isn't TCA acid so you're not going to do irreversible damage. But you can irritant your skin if you're very sensitive and I realize that everyone's not as tough as me..
You can avoid this by starting out with a simple recipe, a low (5%) % of C and testing out an area before you commit your entire face to it.

If all goes well then just slowly work your way up to a 15-20% of C ...and a more complicated recipe (if you want).
You'll be fine.
And if it happens to turn brown (oxidized) before you use it all up; throw it out.
NaagChumpa

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:07 am      Reply with quote
I get a local pharmacy to compound vitamin C into a liposomes gel base for 20 bucks every two months.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
NaagChumpa wrote:
I get a local pharmacy to compound vitamin C into a liposomes gel base for 20 bucks every two months.

That's very decent but I can't imagine any pharmacies around here would be willing to do that. Where are you located...and do you know the percentage of C they mix?
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |