Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
philomeides

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Well, I was thinking MAP. I COULD just do LAA at a lower concentration, and water, I suppose!
shirleys

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
hi all,

please help and need advise ,
could i mix coq 10 with carrier oil + peo ? any receipe for oat beta glucan ? thanks
Rokokoquette

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Are the only Vit-C powders worth buying the one's from places like Lotioncrafters and Bulkactives? I have pure l-ascorbic acid powder (Nutribiotics, since it had good reviews) and it pretty much refuses to dissolve. I warm up the water, I let it sit in the water for 10 minutes, nada. You can still clearly see white silt at the bottom, and even if what I apply looks clear and feels clear, after it dries on my skin I see a white cast. Even what does dissolve doesn't seem to be able to absorb, it just sits atop the skin.

What gives?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:37 am      Reply with quote
Rokokoquette wrote:
Are the only Vit-C powders worth buying the one's from places like Lotioncrafters and Bulkactives? I have pure l-ascorbic acid powder (Nutribiotics, since it had good reviews) and it pretty much refuses to dissolve. I warm up the water, I let it sit in the water for 10 minutes, nada. You can still clearly see white silt at the bottom, and even if what I apply looks clear and feels clear, after it dries on my skin I see a white cast. Even what does dissolve doesn't seem to be able to absorb, it just sits atop the skin.

What gives?

The smaller the crystals, the faster they dissolve. Undissolved crystals that aren't in solution aren't going to be absorbed by your skin (at least not right away.) HTH!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Rokokoquette wrote:

What gives?

Try grinding the vitamin C powder with a mortar and pestle before adding it to the liquid. That should make the particles smaller so they dissolve better. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, try a a small glass dish and a hard plastic spoon or the bottom of a small measuring cup to grind it. Don't use metal with vitamin C.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Rokokoquette wrote:

What gives?

You will never get the "anti-caking" ingredients in some supplements to dissolve.

Get the real thing from any DIY vendor. You won't be sorry.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Rokokoquette

Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Update!

I don't think the Vitamin C I have is the best that I could work with (I've started using in in smoothies to use it up faster). I think I was being impatient in letting it dissolve and will continue to use it till it runs out, at which point I'll get the better stuff (and maybe some of those Vit-C esters).

While its a bit frustrating to work with it actually works pretty well. I actually saw that 'glow' people talk about, exciting stuff! What I need now is to figure out how to mix it up each time in a way that 'dirties' as few implements as possible (vitamin c definitely has a taste I don't want to leave on any of the measuring spoons).
Rokokoquette

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I just had an 'oh duh' moment. Sometimes when my skin is acting up I'll make an aspirin mask. I had some recently-found spray bottles on hand (filled with a laughably ineffective 'hydrating mist'). Not wanting to use my mixing cups I placed the two aspirin tablets in my hand and sprayed them with the mist till they dissolved and added some aloe vera gel to make it less runny . . . I could just do that with the vitamin c to avoid dirtying any spoons or mixing glasses since I want to make it fresh each time.

I tried it just now and rubbed it over my hands; somehow this dissolved better than just letting it sit in the water. I don't know why but it did. It would probably take some practice to estimate the water:C ratio and I'd want to swap out that hydrating mist since it has all these useless ingredients, but my hands feel nice so this is promising. My foray into DIY is off to a good start.
Rokokoquette

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
I hate triple-posting but I just HAD to share:

1. The vitamin c serum makes my hands stink. I didn't know what it was before, especially since there isn't any odor until about an hour later, but eventually I connected the dots. A bit of Googling turned up accounts of other women's experiences with DIY Vit C and it leaving a scent on their hands. Not enough to say its common, but definitely not unheard of either. It must be a skin chemistry thing. Its disappointing really, I really dislike the smell and its enough to make me strongly consider not using it anymore. It may very well be making my face all smelly too but I cant exactly detach my nose to smell my face Sad I'll try applying it with cotton balls see if it helps, if it doesn't I'm gonna throw the towel on LAA, maybe the esters don't do this.

2. I've heard that one should apply the serum before lotions and I'm a bit unsure if that should really be the case. Once I swiped a moist cotton-pad across my face after I had already applied the C-serum since my face felt kind of sticky. The cotton pad did not swipe clean; I'd cleansed beforehand so I was puzzled. Could this be oxidation? And then I remembered that Vit C is actually acidic and has exfoliation properties, so the grim I was picking up was what the Vit C had sloughed off. Why else would my skin feel so soft after I'd used the serum? I think it calls for a very thorough cleansing beforehand (so maybe oil cleansing and cream cleansers won't cut it), perhaps some manual exfoliation even. Maybe a swipe of a toner-soaked cotton pad before applying my lotion for some rudimentary cleansing. I dislike the idea of applying lotion and makeup on top of that grime.

So now I don't know if I'll continue using the serum, and mostly because of issue number 1. At least if it was oxidation I'd feel like I could do something about it, but because the odor takes time before the onset I'm really at a loss. I'm gonna continue experimenting but I'll be reading up on the various Vitamin C esters, I know LAA has the most studies behind it while the esters are lacking in scientific consensus but even if the only work half as well . . . it is still better than nothing.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Rokokoquette wrote:
I hate triple-posting but I just HAD to share:

1. The vitamin c serum makes my hands stink. I didn't know what it was before, especially since there isn't any odor until about an hour later, but eventually I connected the dots. A bit of Googling turned up accounts of other women's experiences with DIY Vit C and it leaving a scent on their hands. Not enough to say its common, but definitely not unheard of either. It must be a skin chemistry thing. Its disappointing really, I really dislike the smell and its enough to make me strongly consider not using it anymore. It may very well be making my face all smelly too but I cant exactly detach my nose to smell my face Sad I'll try applying it with cotton balls see if it helps, if it doesn't I'm gonna throw the towel on LAA, maybe the esters don't do this.

2. I've heard that one should apply the serum before lotions and I'm a bit unsure if that should really be the case. Once I swiped a moist cotton-pad across my face after I had already applied the C-serum since my face felt kind of sticky. The cotton pad did not swipe clean; I'd cleansed beforehand so I was puzzled. Could this be oxidation? And then I remembered that Vit C is actually acidic and has exfoliation properties, so the grim I was picking up was what the Vit C had sloughed off. Why else would my skin feel so soft after I'd used the serum? I think it calls for a very thorough cleansing beforehand (so maybe oil cleansing and cream cleansers won't cut it), perhaps some manual exfoliation even. Maybe a swipe of a toner-soaked cotton pad before applying my lotion for some rudimentary cleansing. I dislike the idea of applying lotion and makeup on top of that grime.

So now I don't know if I'll continue using the serum, and mostly because of issue number 1. At least if it was oxidation I'd feel like I could do something about it, but because the odor takes time before the onset I'm really at a loss. I'm gonna continue experimenting but I'll be reading up on the various Vitamin C esters, I know LAA has the most studies behind it while the esters are lacking in scientific consensus but even if the only work half as well . . . it is still better than nothing.

A couple of thoughts...for #1 if you are using a recipe that has oil in it, you could try adding a couple drops of an essential oil to change the scent.

For #2, you might be wiping off very small bits of LAA that did not fully dissolve or sink in. Part of the guidance for using LAA on clean dry skin is due to pH. If you apply other products first you may alter your skin's pH and reduce the effectiveness of the C serum.
Rokokoquette

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:18 am      Reply with quote
It was a water based serum so I can't use any essential oils Sad

Actually, water seems to be the problem. I've mixed the Vit C with other things and odor isn't an issue. As for efficacy? Well I don't know if the pH of any of the other mediums I used is suitable. I tried aloe vera jelly and it dissolves very well and there is no scent but aloe gets sort of filmy, I don't trust that any moisturizer I apply afterward will actually penetrate. I suppose I'll need to keep experimenting and buy pH strips to figure out what works.
Floralouise

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:25 am      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
The Biochemistry of Beauty (posted by above) site is awesome. I have never seen a better site for formulas and reviews of real science articles. It also lists properties of many ingredients and where to but them and easy formulas.

I cannot access this site

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Floralouise wrote:
sharky wrote:
The Biochemistry of Beauty (posted by above) site is awesome. I have never seen a better site for formulas and reviews of real science articles. It also lists properties of many ingredients and where to but them and easy formulas.

I cannot access this site

This site closed years ago. Excellent resources.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Sorry double post.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi
I'm newbie on all this DIY skincare.
I would like your help for a simple retinol (vitamin A ) serum formula,thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Are you familiar with the Skin Actives community?

You can buy DIY ingredients there.

http://www.skinactives.com/

Here is a forum link:

http://skinactives.websitetoolbox.com/post/retinol-cream-3167886?&trail=20

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
Do you recommend skinactives over bulkactives. It seems the prices are cheaper on bulkactives. Anyone use them?
preciousia
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:52 am      Reply with quote
i'm looking at buying raw materials from skinessentialactives, newdirection & lotioncrafter.

I have bought from skinactives $130 of mainly finished products and their antioxidant booster + EGF.

i like the cheaper prices, low postage and nice friendly owner who give helpful answers at skinessentialactives. She was really knowledgable!

Can anyone review my shopping carts?
I'm buying for the first time and DIYing.

Skinessentialactives:
Ferulic Acid (grams: 10 grams)
Vitamin K1 USP 99% 10 grams, 0.35 oz
Grape Seed Extract 95% 30 grams
Sea Kelp Bioferment/ Ferment Extract (grams: 30 grams)
N-Acetyl-D Glucosamine/ NAG (grams: 10 grams)
Hydroxyethylcellulose 30 grams, 1.01 oz
Tetrasodium EDTA 30 grams 1.06 oz
Polysorbate 80, Tween80 emulsifier/ surfactant (Liquid weight Poly 80 20: 30 grams)
Airless Vacuum bottles, UV Block 15 ml, 30 ml, 50 ml (Serum Size: 50 ml)
D-Panthenol 99.3 % USP[ liquid], Vitamin B5, 65 grams, 2.29 oz.
Idebenone 98.15%- 5 grams (grams: 1 gram)
Alpha Lipoic Acid 99.53% (grams: 10 grams)
L-Proline (grams: 10 grams)
Biotin 98% (grams: 1 gram)
LICORICE EXTRACT
copper peptides
Glycolic Acid
Potassium Sorbate , Benzoic Acid , Broad Spectrum Preservative 30 grams
0.2 ml. spoons, pack of 10
1ml. spoons, pack of 10
Weigh boats/ Measuring cups 10 ml $2.25

New direction
-Lactic Acid
-Salicylic Acid
-Glycerine (Palm Free)
-Castor Oil
-Vitamin B3 Niacinamide
-Allantoin
-Cocoamidopropyl Betaine
-Cocamide DEA
-polyglucose
-Witch Hazel extract
-Arginine
-Pineapple
-Papaya Fermented
-Calendula / Marigold Flower Dried Herb
-Certified Organic Beeswax
-Beeswax Beads Yellow Cosmetic Wax
-Shea Butter Unrefined

Lotion crafter
- Corning Lab Spatula
- Crystalline Stir Rod, 10 Pack
- Lotioncrafter Wrinkle Defense Complex
- Ethoxydiglycol
- Lemon Peel Bioferment
- Actigym
- Lipochroman-6
- Syn®-TC
- Tetrapeptide-30 Solution
- Juveleven Solution
- SNAP-8 Solution C - Paraben Free
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
- L-Carnitine
- wheat germ protein / Silk Amino Acids PF /Hydrolyzed Baobab Protein

makingcosmetics (maybe)
Bacillus Ferment
72h-Moisture
Propanediol 1,3

bulkactives
Pumpkin enzyme
Fucoidan/ bladderwrack/ Fucus vesiculosus (growth factor)

Have already bought Borosilicate Glass Beaker, thermometer, 0.01 weigh machine, pH strips, airless bottle, grain alcohol, measuring spoons/bowl, glass pipette, methyl alcohol, bottle/straw brushes, safety glasses, milton anti-bacteria tablets, disinfectant, gloves, mini mixer/blender (for coffee)

other raw ingredients i bought
- Phenoxyethanol
- Caffeine
- Hyaluronic acid
- Kojic acid
- Bromelain
- citric acid
- NaOH
- vitamin e 1000iu softgel
- vitamin d vcaps
- msm crystals
- pure water

looking at buying retinol now. tossing between buying vitamin softgel as advised by Dr Todorov from smartskincare or from Skinessentialactives
xiyue
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Eggs add honey can make skin blond.
wkw1203
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing! These recipes are very useful!
mahatrans
5% products discount

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
This thread is a treasure trove of skin care recipes! I will share mine too.
Mix a cup of brown sugar with one-fourth cup coconut oil and then rub 1 tablespoon of the sugar scrub for silky skin. Exfoliate before doing this for better results.
julianneyx

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:39 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:

HOW TO USE IT:
Brush teeth with desired toothpaste as normal, then spit and rinse your mouth and/or toothbrush. Squeeze 4-5 drops of either Auro ear drops of Gly Oxide onto toothbrush and brush teeth just like you would with toothpaste, concentrating on your "smile" teeth (the ones in your mouth that appear when you smile). Hold the mixture in your mouth for 1 1/2-2 minutes or as long as you can stand (don't worry, it doesn't taste bad!).

Do I rinse with water after having the mixture in my mouth, or do I just spit it out?
Jellybean93

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Hey guys I am new to this,

can I mix VitC Palmitate with water for a face serum and if so in what relation?

Also is it possible to do the same with VitA Palmitate and VitE or do I need a carrier oil for that? (I got coconut oil and emu oil if needed)
eharbour

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
I really appreciate this string on EDS Skin Care Forums as there is lots of interesting knowledge and information.

Does anyone out there have a proven Crepey Skin Repair body lotion recipe?

Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi my name is Maria I am hoping you can help me understand how to purchase unrefined Shea butter directly from the women in Ghana who make the butter, I have read that if bought directly it can help these special ladies better than buying it from the middle man, I have seen many other companies which pledge that they are helping towards the ladies by buying there butters direct, but they never have the information on where or how they do this, I am quite new to this and am trying to understand how I am able to purchase straight from the ladies who work so hard to make it, I am hoping to be successful in making my own natural skincare so I can help with my own skin issues and others alike if you can help me with some guidance on how this is possible I'd be very grateful Maria ☺️
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |