Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

sebaceous hyperplasia
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:24 am      Reply with quote
I am sorry to hear that the SH is reappearing.

Unfortunately, it seems that stress wrecks havoc on skin.

Are you prone to facial flushing or rosecea? One dermatologist believes it is related. Her blog:

http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/dermatologist-tips-to-treat-sebaceous-hyperplasia/

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
No i dont suffer from anything but SH. Unfortunately i suffer big time.
I have today been to see my GP. To get a referral on the NHS he said would be around 9 to 10 months in the uk which is ridiculous really. So he has referred me to a private derm which is going to cost me £175 for a consultation alone,thats how it is in this country.
Thing is im getting desperate now and if offered low dose accutane i would definately give it a try as after
7 years of this a little respite at what is a difficult time for me anyway would be worth it.
On top of this my skin classic treatment is booked for Monday to deal with the ones i have at the moment. So thats another 10 days hiding from the world.
I detest these things.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hemp, sorry to hear about your SH I get them too and really hate them. I get the same treatment you do now and again to remove them it is called Advanced electrolysis in the salon I got to and it does work but new ones do come back in time and I guess I am prepared to pay annually to get them seen to.

The best way to reduce them is to try and reduce the oil you are producing. This is something I am still trying to get right but high does vitamin B5 has helped me as does a prescription retinod like the isotrex gel you mention. I used to use that and it is harsh but they stopped making it for a while not sure if it is available now or not but your doctor should be able to give you a script for differin which should help prevent or slow down the appearance of new ones. You are right that these lesions are not considered important by NHS doctors, in the early stages of seeking treatment I was sent a way with a flea in my ear repeatedly. In the end I had to wait till my skin was really bad and then they gave me the medication. I think you can get it on ebay as well but of course you can never be sure if your buying online.

Also as you are male perhaps try a herbal antiandrogen like saw palmetto. I think diet is a big factor to so try and eat clean and low GI if you can. I don't always stick to that but my skin is less oily when I do and less oil production equals less SH.

Hope some of that helps!
hemp
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that pandora. I have spent a lot of time researching this and i believe you are right about the oily skin. I have completely changed my diet in the last week and am drinking tons of water too.
I have read a lot on acne forums about vit d3 as it appears a lot of people are vit d deficient due to lack of sunlight. It rings with me because i never go in the sun as i work indoors mostly . I have started as of yesterday to supplement with 4000ui of D3 to see if it helps. There is a lot of stuff on the internet about it controlling sebum production.
Can i just ask do you use a topical on all of your face everyday or do you just spot treat with it.The problem is clearly from within or else accutane wouldnt be so effective.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Your are correct that the problem is internal and pretty complex, hormones seem to be a big factor and I have looked into how that works in the female body but I am not so sure how it goes in a male.

I think the best approach is both internal and external. Do the diet changes and the supplements and if you can use a retinoid. Retin a or differin actually alter the signaling in the skin telling cells to behave in a different way. I use it all over and buffer with a little moisturiser to prevent over drying. This works great for me and I use it most night but you must use sunscreeen every day if you use a retinoid and only use them at night.
hemp
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Pandorra i assume you must of had a lot of SH at one point to go see the GP,would you say that your regime with the topical has now got them under control or are they still appearing.
Would be nice to know that it is achievable. I have had about 30 of them removed with the skin classic today.I guess in a couple of weeks i will look clear again so i would def like to keep them at bay for longer. Ive accepted i will never be rid of them completely.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hemp, in my opinion using the topical has reduced the rate at which they appear and helped with oil production, but in time I still developed the odd new one however it is much more managable and I do think diet, exercise, sleep all make a positive difference. It is my intention from this point to factor in getting these removed as the pop up once a year or so to keep them in check that might mean one treatment a year to remove just a couple I would think. Much easier than waiting until you have a colony of them on your face!

The topical does help but it will always be a many pronged approach. There is no harm in trying a topical is there?
hemp
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Well i am waiting for an appointment with a private derm so i will definately take what you have told me on board.
I would be ecstatic with just a few a year. My problem is that i seem to develop them at a much faster rate. However i clearly dont think i have been managing them properly other than getting them removed all the time.
Im 48 hours into healing at the moment from the skin classic so i dont think topicals will be a good idea for a couple of weeks but yes it is certainly worth a go as i should be starting with a clear face so to speak. Im so glad i have a clinic that uses this machine nearby as i would be a mess without it.
Im convinced that the stress i have been under has been a big factor too in my outbreaks recently so hopefully as some normality comes back to my life things will begin to settle down.
Thanks for your advice , it does help to know that others out there are dealing well with this condition.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Yes, stress affects normal skin with outbreaks but if you have SH, those cells are in hyperdrive. Hope you can find some relief!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
This is a blog from a Toronto based doctor. Short video with a demonstration on how quickly she removes one from a man's forehead.

N/A

http://theskiny.com/sebaceacous-hyperplasia/

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Well i wish i was that guy. I had 53 removed last week.
Once they scab up they are easy to count. That is the extent of the problem im facing. I will be back to normal in a few days and my confidence will grow and life will get better but i am always waiting for the inevitable moment when they start re-appearing.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Think positive, you are on the right track!
Try adding the vitamin A to your arsenal as well as lots of water and maybe meditation or yoga. When I make time for me there is less time for them, haha. Good luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies - I am in Calgary The only treatments I found here are Evulan and RF . I don't really trust any of them. I can control them somehow with aspirin masks , retin a, AHA ..etc . Calgary is a very dry area and that was ok for my only skin but recently I moved near a river and I have lots of humidity . My skin is going crazy - oily and the bumps started to show up more Sad
any suggestions? pleaseeeeee..
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Yes, we have a family river place and when I am there I come home with a few if I dont really keep my skin clean. Lots of sweat in the heat and humidity aggravates them. It is because
SH are a pore and they can easily become clogged as well promoting the inflammation.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Ive had quite a few of these removed from my cheeks 19 days ago and the blemishes dont seem to be fading as quickly as the last time. Does any one have any tips to make blemishes fade quicker.
Another question for you, do you think SH are as noticeable to other people as i think they are. Because i have so many at one time i become obsessed with how bad they look.
Im going to be divorced soon and my mind keeps wandering to dating again but i feel my confidence is being sucked out of me because of these things. Or am i just being silly.
I would be interested to know if anyone on here who has a lot of them has had comments from others about them or whether their partners notice or even care about them.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Ha, nope. Hubby does not ever notice them. When I mention it, he tells me to put away the magnifying mirror.
Mine are a little flared from the heat, etc. But they settle back down after a bit.
Most people tend to obsess over our flaws, for me its an inherent trait and hard to break! But the busier I am, the less time I have to dwell and before you know it, no time is wasted on them at all.
Smile and no one will be noticing them I bet!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Well a quick update. I have been to see the private derm today. He was very understanding but because i have had them removed recently he wants to see me again when they come back.In the meantime he has referred me to have bloods done on the NHS so that if the worst happens and they come back in numbers he can put me straight on accutane. He feels that low dose accutane is worth a try and that there is virtually no risk at low doses.
Contrary to a lot of peoples opinion he didnt feel the topicals were worth trying because its a problem from within. I am eating incredibly healthier ,drinking water and supplementing vit a and d. I have also started to use skin actives salicyc wash. I am absolutely determined to get on top of these awful things. My stress levels are better but not as low as id like them to be but im convinced stress doesnt help SH.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I am so glad, that has to give you some peace of mind!
I wish I could do a quick low dose but my old derm moved and the new one doesn't support accutane at all, just pushing the topical. And anyone who has been on that never ending wheel knows how expensive and time consuming that is.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the good wishes. i have an appointment booked for 4 months time but should i breakout again i can change it to an earlier one. Having spent many hours researching this condition it does appear low dose accutane is an extremely effective solution to the problem.The side effects if any cant be any worse than the mental stress of constantly getting them removed only to re appear in months. My self confidence is shot to pieces by them so i am prepared to try anything.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Since the pore had to shrink internally, lasers just do not help as they keep growing back.
A low dose of accutane is definitely the way to go if nothing else is working.
I am glad you at least have a solution should all else fail.
I had done my research on this one, if only I could follow my own advice, haha.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everybody.

Well im back again. Its now 2 months since my last lot were removed. Anyone who has followed this thread will know of my problems with SH.
I am taking much greater care of myself keeping my skin clean. Trying to eat super healthy,lots of fruit and veg.Not eaten any take out for 2 months. No dairy at all. Drinking water and supplementing vit A and D
I still have bumps but they are small and i can live with them at the moment.
I have been on a couple of dates too which was great for my self confidence but i am still very concious of how people view me.
Question for you.
I have just got some of the Paula choice 9% BHA i have used it a couple of times,seems oily. If anyone who has used this for SH for any amount of time would like to offer their opinion on here i would be grateful. Its an expensive product and would like to know if it worth trying long term.
I have also had my blood tests done in case the last resort of accutane is required. I am hoping for a miracle and hoping i dont have to go there.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:58 am      Reply with quote
I tried it and it was okay. Didn't seem to do too much so I did not reorder.
I am doing a course of the TNS Essential Serum to get my skin back in shape. After a long hot summer in Texas and many weekends at the family river campground, my skin is in horrible shape. Ugh.
Keep on with the updates please. Glad you are doing better and thanks for the progress report!

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
You can email me with your location and I will connect you with a skin classic practitioner. this is how it works... I have trained many in the USA to use this device. It has helped so many it can help you too.
hemp
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone.

This thread has gone very quiet so i thought i would see if anyone has anything new to add to it.
For me the battle with SH goes on.When i look in the mirror they are all i see and i am still very self conscious about them.
I am managing them better though , eating well and have them as under control as i can.
The bottom line is that they are still there all be it smaller than they used to be. I think the biggest help has been using a salycilic wash. I now have a proper regime which seems to be slowing them down. I tone every night with a simple toner to which i add a few drops of tee tree oil and peppermint oil.
I am 46 yrs old and the biggest worry for me is that things will get worse as i get older. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had this long term to know if that is true.
I have decided that when they become too noticeable i will visit the clinic for some more treatment with the skin classic. Its so frustrating but looking back its been 11 months since i last had them treated so maybe a once a year visit to get them removed is how i will deal with them going forward.
Anyone reading this who has anything new to add or has had some remission from them then please post. I am always hungry for information that can help in the battle with SH.
Angelcat47
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have never experienced SH(but I can relate as I do have my own skin issues). I want to give you a website where you might find additional remedies. It's makeupalley.com. I have been a member there quite a while and I have seen SH discussed; perhaps you may want to check it out.

One more thing:it really is true that you see your own flaws as much worse than people around you so don't let this keep you from enjoying life.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |