Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the simplest Vitamin C serum recipe?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:10 am      Reply with quote
Is there a very simple Vit C serum with just 3 ingredients like L-ascorbic acid, distilled water, and something else to hold it together? I am not a good DIYer, but really need to make my own Vit C serum that will last a week, and then I just have to make a new batch. The one I was using before, I bought on amazon but the 1 oz bottle lasted a little over a month. By the time it got close to 1 month mark, the color started to turn light yellow. I don't feel comfortable with that on my face. So I decided it's time to DIY my own L-escorbic acid C serum. Anyone who has DIY'd a successful simple C serum, please let me know how. I'd be grateful. Thank you in advance.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
Is there a very simple Vit C serum with just 3 ingredients like L-ascorbic acid, distilled water, and something else to hold it together? I am not a good DIYer, but really need to make my own Vit C serum that will last a week, and then I just have to make a new batch. The one I was using before, I bought on amazon but the 1 oz bottle lasted a little over a month. By the time it got close to 1 month mark, the color started to turn light yellow. I don't feel comfortable with that on my face. So I decided it's time to DIY my own L-escorbic acid C serum. Anyone who has DIY'd a successful simple C serum, please let me know how. I'd be grateful. Thank you in advance.

All the recipes are listed in the recipe index, some just distilled water, LAA and glycerin. Some just mix distilled water and LAA daily and apply. Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Awesome! Next question is where do you buy LAA? Is GOW all right to buy from?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
Awesome! Next question is where do you buy LAA? Is GOW all right to buy from?

I've used GoW's LAA powder. It's a fine powder and dissolves easily - I'd buy it again!

Lotioncrafters also has nice LAA. The Skinactives LAA I used took a lot longer to dissolve.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:35 am      Reply with quote
I just use LAA and water....mix together and voila...simple.

I skip the glycerine because I found it too greasy and sticky. Although water and LAA is very liquidy I spray it onto my face and wait for it to naturally dry before applying make-up

5% products discount

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I see there is a vit c recipe using vit e capsule can you tell me what strength of capsule.
I see they go from 400 to 4000 !!!!
thanks for all the great tips. They are very welcome Rolling Eyes
killy
5% products discount

Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used Rose water instead of distilled water for the vit c serum ????
missunflower
5% products discount

Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
killy wrote:
Has anyone used Rose water instead of distilled water for the vit c serum ????

I use rose water and GOW face mist. just test the PH at the end to see if its effective.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
If you want a gel rather than watery serum here is my super easy one. 15% Vitamin C @ pH 3.

Ingredients

Hyaluronic acid powder
L-ascorbic acid powder
Distilled floral water

You need a gram scale to make this. Cooking measurements are nowhere near accurate enough. These scales can be had on eBay for about $10. Buy one.

Measure 50gms of distilled floral water and
place in a sealable container. Tip on 1gm of hyaluronic acid powder, stir and let it sit until fully dissolved. NaH, is clumpy and doesn't mix easily. Letting it soak is the best way to dissolve it. I usually let it sit overnight and it's fully dissolved in the morning. Saves shaking and frustration. Once dissolved stir to ensure an even consistency, you now have a 2% NaH gel ready to use for your serum. It will be quite stiff, that's ok at this point.

Measure 50gms of floral water and place in a shakeable container. Add 15gms of L-Ascorbic acid to this and shake until fully dissolved.
You need to dissolve the Vit C in water rather than gel so it fully dissolves. Now combine both your acid gel and your Vitamin C water to create your Vitamin C gel. It will have a light gel-like consistency and without any preservatives I find this to be free of oxidation for up to 3 weeks if kept in a refrigerator. I also add in
0.5% of a preservative at this stage to prevent bacteria growing in it.

Voila! A highly effective Vitamin C serum at the right pH with the added benefit of hyaluronic acid which is hydrating. If you want your serum to have a thicker consistency you can increase
the NaH to 1.5gms. NaH should not be used in concentrations higher than 2% directly on the skin. This is the same formula found in many high-end facial products minus the butylene\pentylene glycol, a bunch of preservatives and silicones.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
BCGirl, that is fantastic idea to spray it!
This is a great thread. Notmenotyou, wow that is good information as well!!!
killy
5% products discount

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for another good recipe. Is Veg Glycerin enough for preserving ? Hyaluronic acid is soo expensive in the UK !!! I haven't bought it yet !! Embarassed
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:51 am      Reply with quote
killy wrote:
Thanks for another good recipe. Is Veg Glycerin enough for preserving ? Hyaluronic acid is soo expensive in the UK !!! I haven't bought it yet !! Embarassed

Glycerin is not a preservative. HA powder is very inexpensive to purchase from DIY ingredient websites.

I find the easiest way to use Vitamin C Powder is to simply add it daily to another anti-oxidant serum - this way you definitely know it's fresh.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:43 am      Reply with quote
I rarely get around to making a proper batch of vit c serum (i.e. following a recipe) so end up mixing a pinch each of vit c & msm powder (just because I have it) with a half teaspoon of water, but I'm never sure if the amounts are ok. I know, lame.

As far as adding vit c to anti-oxidant serum, I've been hesitant to do that (or use green tea instead of water above), since I was led to believe that there can be complications rendering one or the other ineffective.

Could someone set me straight?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I find the easiest way to use Vitamin C Powder is to simply add it daily to another anti-oxidant serum - this way you definitely know it's fresh.

Keliu, this is the special powder from Osmosis you are talking about, not LAA powder?
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I just use distilled water and powder LAA when I'm feeling lazy. Its not particularly elegant feeling but it does the trick.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Yes, but how much? Like I said, I use a pinch in a half teaspoon of water when I'm in a rush - am I in the ballpark?
I guess I could take a recipe and calculate from there... will post if I do.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Keliu, this is the special powder from Osmosis you are talking about, not LAA powder?

Yes it is the Osmosis product I am using at the moment but you can do the same thing with any LAA Powder - it just needs to be nice and refined so it dissolves easily. I find the one from Bulk Actives dissolves very well. Actually, Hannah from SkinActives recommends this method of application.

5% products discount

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone got a tip on how to stop Vit c staining your fingers ??? I would love to hear it - I usually use a cotton bud to apply the serum but of course some of it is on the fingers !! Rolling Eyes I suppose the thing is to wash your hands immediately after applying ?? Embarassed
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:31 am      Reply with quote
The serum shouldn't stain at all - actually it should be colourless/clear! Be careful to use pure l-ascorbic acid, not coloured vitamin c crystals or even white vit c unless you're completely sure its l-ascorbic acid.

killy
5% products discount

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi LoriA

Thanks for the help it's really my nails that are getting stained yellow - not the skin. Sorry I should have made myself clearer.

Shhh
7Destiny
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I put a small amount of aloe vera gel on my palm, add Vitamin C powder, rub palms to blend and apply.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
This is a simple vitamin C recipe.

Source: http://www.skinacea.com/diy/diy-recipes.html#pagetop

VITAMIN C SERUM (10%)

Vitamin C is one of the most powerful antioxidants for anti-aging. This serum is quite flexible, but you need to make new batches regularly so it stays fresh and potent.

Ingredients:

˝ teaspoon l-ascorbic acid powder
3˝ teaspoon distilled water (bottled water is fine, should be at room temperature)
1˝ teaspoon propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin
1 amber or dark blue glass bottle

Instructions:

Make sure your glass bottle is sterile by boiling it in some hot water. You can also sterilize it with some rubbing alcohol.
Wait for the bottle to cool and dry completely.
Add the l-ascorbic acid to the bottle.
Add the distilled water.
Swish around the bottle or use a stirrer until all the l-ascorbic acid is dissolved.
Add the propylene glycol or glycerin (must be vegetable glycerin, however you can use Monistat Anti-Chafing gel if your skin is fine with silicones)
Mix well (cap the bottle and keep shaking until everything is blended or use a stirrer) and use up as early as possible.

Comments:

The above recipe is more accurate if measured out by proportion/weight, but for convenience, the amounts are listed in teaspoons.
You want to use a dark bottle because it prevents the l-ascorbic powder from oxidizing. L-ascorbic powder is destabilized when it reacts with light and/or heat, so store your homemade C serum in a cool, dark place.

Mix well and use up the C serum as early as possible because l-ascorbic acid is highly unstable. Make a new batch every few days because as time goes on, the l-ascorbic acid grows less potent.

You can also make this serum with just water. However, without the propylene glycol or glycerin content, it will oxidize very quickly. If you make it with just water, you have to make a new batch every day.

Make sure the l-ascorbic acid you buy is 100% with no additional ingredients. You can buy powder or crystals (from the vitamin section in your local health food store), but I like to use powder because it dissolves faster. Sometimes Vitamin C will just list "ascorbic acid" as its ingredient. If this is the case, call the company to see whether or not it's l-ascorbic acid. Also, make sure there are no unnecessary ingredients in the Vitamin C capsules you buy (such as sweeteners, rose hip oils, etc).

If you find this percentage of vitamin C to be too irritating, you can always add less l-ascorbic acid. If it's not strong enough, you can add more, but don't go over 20%.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
for the formula of just vitamin c and water - how long will it last in the refrigerator?
wrinklefreeforever
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
UGGG I messed up today and did 1 table spoon of vitamin C to 10 1/8 cup of water. It left a white grit on my face. Does anyone know if that's dangerous.

Would 2 teaspoons vit. c to 14 tsp water - make a 20% serum and is there a point there the percentage would be too high and irritating?

Just learning.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |