Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Internal Hydration and Dry Body Skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I am tackling dry body skin-- especially on my legs-- I live at altitude and this has been issue that I think I first noticed 5 years ago and has only been getting worse. It looks terrible-- like alligator/chicken skin texture..it's pretty bad!!

I already take fish oil and have been for like 6 months or more and I drybrush several times a week AND use both oils and organic body lotions. Anyone have any suggestions? DIY tricks? products? lifestyle/supps?

Thank you for any suggestions Smile

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:57 am      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Okay, I am tackling dry body skin-- especially on my legs-- I live at altitude and this has been issue that I think I first noticed 5 years ago and has only been getting worse. It looks terrible-- like alligator/chicken skin texture..it's pretty bad!!

I already take fish oil and have been for like 6 months or more and I drybrush several times a week AND use both oils and organic body lotions. Anyone have any suggestions? DIY tricks? products? lifestyle/supps?

Thank you for any suggestions Smile

I have very dry skin on my face and body. For body, the two things that helped immensely are the Salux Cloth and Amlactin lotion. I also take Meiji Collagen and think this is beneficial too.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:59 am      Reply with quote
Hydration is such a complex science but one that is so crucial to how we age. Now there are a few things here. You say you take fish oil. Well fish oil is tricky because it can go off so quickly so you need to keep it refridgerated. Also you need to consume fish oil with foods to help it get broken down and assimilated. Oils are great with helping the body to get out of dehydration alert, but I tend to favour more plant based oils like flaxseed or linseed simply because usually these are more stable and closer to body chemistry and so assimilated better (just my personal opinion here). Now as well as taking oils, consuming water regularly is also key. You don’t mention how regularly you are drinking water or how much and that is a good placet o start looking as well. When dehydration shows up it takes a little time to get the body out of dehydration alert and back on a normal status, so give yourself time and be realistic here. Often times when the body goes into dehydration mode, it gets more physically stressed, and in turn more dehydrated and it’s a catch 22 situation. So when you start taking steps to come out of it – you will need to give yourself time to allow the body to readjust to your water intake. Now some other things that will help – water compresses I’ve become a major fan of. This entails holding a watered or damp cloth against a dehydrated area for about 10-15 minutes. You say you dry brush several times a week – well if you have dry skin that is dehydrated and has been that may be too much too often.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Some thoughts and suggestions:
If your water intake is good, it is worth checking what is the humidity of your environment (everybody has drier skin at wintertime due to heating which decreases humidity) and which materials are you wearing close to skin - specially legs since you say that dryness is worse there.

It is worth checking/experimenting with your soap/shower gel, maybe your skin doesn't like it... Try to find something mild. Even good moisturiser after can't help a lot if it is your shower gel that is the problem.
Some people have issues with hard water in which case water softener can be helpful...

In terms of supplements, I take HA & collagen supplement and it does make my skin nicely hydrated (also has good effects on joints).
Some people have success with Phytoceramides - I tried it but didn't work for me (or I didn't notice the results) so stopped using it after I finished the bottle.
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Great thoughts, thank you! I just ordered collagen yesterday (this, product: http://www.amazon.com/Vital-Proteins-Pasture-Raised-Collagen-Peptides/dp/B00K6JUG4K/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1444669310&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=vital+collagen)

I probably don't drink enough water, but I remember reading that drinking a lot of water actually imbalances your electrolytes/minerals. And then I read something else about plain water not being as hydrating as like juicy fruits and vegetables and herbal teas. Sooooo, I'm not really sure what to do about that.

Also, I am hearing that heavy creams and hydrating lotions are bad for dry skin because they make it dependent. So, is oil on the skin bad for it, too? Because ayurveda says oil is good.... Plus, if I don't put lotion on my body (esp legs) skin every day, it looks so, so bad. In fact, it doesn't really look that great even right after a lukewarm, short shower or (mineral salt bath) where I pat dry the skin and apply sesame or coconut oil right after. I am really at a loss here. (side note: because of this dryness issue, I generally do not use soap on my legs. I shave with just water w/o issue).

I use an essential oil diffuser at nights but that probably doesn't put enough moisture in the air. I suppose I could look at using a humidifier.

I would just chalk all this up to age, but I don't think thirties are that old and I see women my age with great body skin, so I feel like it is a puzzle I have to solve. I can post pics if that helps..?

Sean, are you saying take flaxseed over fish oil internally or were you recommending those oils for external use? I am definitely going to try water compresses. I have used those on my face with success. I can stop dry brushing as much, too, but I like it for toning the skin and moving the lymphatic system. Would once a week be too much? Or maybe I could use the Salux cloth denisiel mentioned instead.

Denisiel-- which Amlactin? I did a search and there are several types I guess

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:59 am      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
Great thoughts, thank you! I just ordered collagen yesterday (this, product: http://www.amazon.com/Vital-Proteins-Pasture-Raised-Collagen-Peptides/dp/B00K6JUG4K/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1444669310&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=vital+collagen)

Denisiel-- which Amlactin? I did a search and there are several types I guess

Hi jenp7,

I use AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion and purchase it at Costco. May switch to AmLactin Ultra Hydrating Body Cream in the winter. Wanted to add that I had some scars on my back and arms from a bad rash three years ago that caused severe itching and nothing would reduce the discoloration - looked like brown bruises and cat scratches all over my skin. After six months of Amlactin and Salux cloth, they faded to the point that I can wear tank tops again. My Dad also uses the Salux Cloth for his eczema and removing the dead skin helped rebalance his skin and he was able to get off the steroid cream.

Regarding drinking sufficient water, this has not been shown to increase hydration in skin. Drinking enough water is important for many other functions but skin hydration has not been proven. I drink a lot of water, much more than the average person and still have dry skin.

I tried the Obagi/Dr. Hauschka method of not using moisturizers but even after six months, my skin never went to "normal" (not dry). It may work for oily skinned people but I don't think it's suitable for those with dry skin.

Let us know how the collagen works out. I use Meiji Collagen, gold label with hyaluronic acid, and it works but I am always open to hear about new brands.

By the way, I read that you should take fish oil first thing in the morning as it helps with digestion and fat burning throughout the day.

Sleeping with a humidifier also has a big impact on skin so maybe you want to try that. I just started using a humidifier two years ago during the winter and my skin and hair were much nicer.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:34 am      Reply with quote
jenp7 wrote:
I probably don't drink enough water, but I remember reading that drinking a lot of water actually imbalances your electrolytes/minerals. And then I read something else about plain water not being as hydrating as like juicy fruits and vegetables and herbal teas. Sooooo, I'm not really sure what to do about that.

There are some truths here but you have to look at it in the context of your body. Drinking over a litre of water creates the imbalance because it puts pressure on the kidneys and other organs to flush the water. With water, the label “Plain” can mean different things depending on who you ask, but you want to have a water that is hydrating without an overdoze of chemicals in it (tap water for instance is usually full of chemicals). There are of course also other alternatives that are the other extreme for example water with synethic chemcials and ingredients in there that advertisers will tell you are essential but are not.

jenp7 wrote:
Also, I am hearing that heavy creams and hydrating lotions are bad for dry skin because they make it dependent. So, is oil on the skin bad for it, too? Because ayurveda says oil is good.... Plus, if I don't put lotion on my body (esp legs) skin every day, it looks so, so bad. In fact, it doesn't really look that great even right after a lukewarm, short shower or (mineral salt bath) where I pat dry the skin and apply sesame or coconut oil right after. I am really at a loss here. (side note: because of this dryness issue, I generally do not use soap on my legs. I shave with just water w/o issue).

Depends on the person, the cream but like most things if you don’t tackle the underlying causes then no matter what you do – you can find viewpoints to argue that its bad. Ayurveda usually recommends different oils for different body types from memory and there is a long list of recommendations but from memory you will find that oils are usually good (and plant based) so are kinder to the body. This is where things like hydrotherapy can be great for stimulating circulation and lymph movement within the body and as a result it stimulates the skin as an effect (but it isn’t always the nicest feeling alternating between hot and cold water).

jenp7 wrote:
I use an essential oil diffuser at nights but that probably doesn't put enough moisture in the air. I suppose I could look at using a humidifier.

Oil diffusers and humidifiers are very different things. Some folks I know simply place a bowl of water near their heaters and reported that they feel and see a difference (especially when they wake in the morning and find the water has all gone!). So you may not need to purchase a humidifier but play with things like that.

jenp7 wrote:
I would just chalk all this up to age, but I don't think thirties are that old and I see women my age with great body skin, so I feel like it is a puzzle I have to solve. I can post pics if that helps..?

Don’t chalk it up to age. The amount of people who use that as an excuse is still so surprising to me. No two individuals age exactly alike, but for what most report as aging symptons these are often ways the body is communicating something is out of balance or needs assistance with something and for many people hydration is one of those areas that in today’s world we all frequent way too much and too frequently and it takes time for the body to readjust.

jenp7 wrote:
Sean, are you saying take flaxseed over fish oil internally or were you recommending those oils for external use? I am definitely going to try water compresses. I have used those on my face with success. I can stop dry brushing as much, too, but I like it for toning the skin and moving the lymphatic system. Would once a week be too much? Or maybe I could use the Salux cloth denisiel mentioned instead.

I personally tend not to recommend fish oil products internally simply because they are usually too unstable and go rancid very quickly whereas plant based products seem to have a longer life if cared for properly. Also I’m not so sure I would apply fish oils externally – but that’s my personal preference. I have however been fan of applying those plant based oils like flaxseed externally for countless years. Theya re fantastic.

With dry brushing – you said you do it several times a week. My initial thoughts were that it may be too much too soon. You see dry brushing is great for increasing movement within the body, but the trick with dry brushing is to do it and let the body be stimulated by it. Doing it every day is too much because just as the body would be regenerating and rejuvenating from it you do it again and so it would respond by stopping what it was doing, and focusing on the newer damage created and movement created and thus you are short changing yourself.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:43 am      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
Regarding drinking sufficient water, this has not been shown to increase hydration in skin. Drinking enough water is important for many other functions but skin hydration has not been proven. I drink a lot of water, much more than the average person and still have dry skin.

This is true there are very little studies validating the importance of skin hydration, but I tend to look at this more from a different viewpoint than doctors because to me the skin being the furthermost outer layer when you look at the symptons associated with dry skin you can often trace them back to things like water intake, lack of oils (and I mean essential fatty acids like flax seed, linseed, olive oil, coconut oils etc), and imbalances in the body with things like stress that set off chain reactions. Hydration isn’t a one time only thing because our bodies are constantly bombarded with things like temperature changes, sitting down long periods of time etc so these are all factors that help in creating symptons with dry skin. Many people think of hydration only in terms of drinking water – where in lies the issues because it is much more than that. It is not just about drinking water, but getting the body out of dehydration mode (which it goes into for protection purposes – to protect itself, the cells, the organs etc) and in today’s world the lives we live of course are often filled with factors that can cause us to go into stress/dehydration at any given time.

denisiel wrote:
I tried the Obagi/Dr. Hauschka method of not using moisturizers but even after six months, my skin never went to "normal" (not dry). It may work for oily skinned people but I don't think it's suitable for those with dry skin.

I don’t think it works for oily skinned folk either – but that’s just my opinion. I am oily skinned and it would definitely give me issues to deal with. Again in looking at dry skin or oily skin conditions I tend to favour working with the body and its challenges. Working with the obagi or Hauschka methods seems to work against the body from what I have seen so far.

denisiel wrote:
By the way, I read that you should take fish oil first thing in the morning as it helps with digestion and fat burning throughout the day.

The experts don’t agree on a single thing with essential fatty acids and omegas 3, 6 and 9 either. I’ve found various people recommending it to be taken on an empty stomach, others suggesting with good, others saying 3x a day, one saying before bed. Now they could all be right in relation to the people they have worked with and what worked for those people’s bodies but its not to say this will work for everyone. As we’re all a different bunch of genes, lifestyles, etc.

denisiel wrote:
Sleeping with a humidifier also has a big impact on skin so maybe you want to try that. I just started using a humidifier two years ago during the winter and my skin and hair were much nicer.

Cool is there a particular brand or model you use that you could recommend? Its always nice to get personal recommendations with these things as there are many models out there.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
Cool is there a particular brand or model you use that you could recommend? Its always nice to get personal recommendations with these things as there are many models out there.

Hi SeanySeanUK,

I use Honeywell that has a fine mister and filter - don't know the model number as it's at my other house now but got it from Target. I think they are basically all the same once you get to a minimum level of quality.

maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I use the small pot with water and essential oil (for nice smell) on the radiator, I feel that gives enough moisture (I have a small humidity meter and always try to ensure that the air is at least 40% humid in the rooms I am).

In terms of water, I would always go for fresh water, there are home cleaning devices if you are reluctant to drink water from the tap. Fruit juices contain sugar and no fiber and tea is great, but with some teas with health benefits, one should be careful in case of existing medical conditions (plus some of them stain teeth which is why I avoid green tea). A good method is to always drink when you are thirsty, I feel that having targets is counter productive since we are all different and also our needs change on daily bases. I also drink a glass of water when hungry, because people often mix up those 2 signals (and if I am really hungry, a cup of water before will make me eat less).

Moisturising skin and finding an ideal moisturiser is quite tricky. They have different components, something about that can be found here: http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2001/6.13/2.html.
I know that some oils are said to be humectant, but it really depends on the oil you choose. Have you tried baby oils/lotions for dry skin?
jenp7
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
My Russian facialist gal just told me yestedray that in no way are oils actually hydrating for the skin because what dry skin needs moisture in the form of cellular-level water/hydration. Any one have thoughts on this?

I bought 12% Amlactin (used it 2x now after shower) and my skin is even drier afterward! Yikes! Does this take a while? Is it supposed to be drying? I'm not using it with any other lotion or oil

oaijason
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
apply olive oil evenly after bath before dry the skin works great for me
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |