Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

darkening and growing longer lashes using sage
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard sage has an impact on hair pigmentation and I've read about some selfmade formulas containing sage. Has anyone tried this out? I have very light colored lashes naturally, have tinted them but this feels more natural to me:

If you'd google, you find many formulas.
It's about combining fresh dried sage leaves with olive oil for instance.
bellabambiiina
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 am      Reply with quote
I've heard of castor oil for lashes but I never understood how people use that without getting it in their eyes, which I think would be annoying. I wear contacts so if I were to try this it would have to be when I sleep and take them out.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:25 am      Reply with quote
bellabambiiina wrote:
I've heard of castor oil for lashes but I never understood how people use that without getting it in their eyes, which I think would be annoying. I wear contacts so if I were to try this it would have to be when I sleep and take them out.

It can get in your eyes (and does get in your eyes) but for some reason castor oil does not sting my eyes at all. I add a bit of tea tree (the tiniest bit) and it doesn't even sting then. It also rinses clean better than other oils. It's the best for clearing out clogged pores. I love the stuff!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
bellabambiiina wrote:

It can get in your eyes (and does get in your eyes) but for some reason castor oil does not sting my eyes at all. I add a bit of tea tree (the tiniest bit) and it doesn't even sting then. It also rinses clean better than other oils. It's the best for clearing out clogged pores. I love the stuff!

I started using castor oil around the eye area and on my lashes a few days ago. What benefits have you noticed? Do you apply any other serums/eye creams before or after?

thank you!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
I use sage along with many other herbs in my henna mix to promote hair growth but I don't see how it can b used on lashes. can u let me know and i'll try it and let yall know.
also I use castor oil mixed with argan on my face including around eye and I see that my lashes are getting thicker and longer.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
as i dont have enough posts to post any links, I'll copy what I've found:

Sage

Stimulate eyebrow growth and color by making a strong brew of sage tea. After straining the tea through muslin, measure 1 pint into a container and add 1 tablespoon of alcohol. Use an unused mascara brush to apply this tried-and-true mixture to your eyebrows.

You also could use sage leaves. Place 2 cups of fresh sage leaves (or 1 cup of dried leaves) in a saucepan and add 3/8 of a cup of filtered or mineral water. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Allow it to cool and then strain the mixture through cheesecloth or a sieve. Put 1 tablespoon of this mixture into a bottle and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Shake the mixture well and use a brush to apply on your brows and lashes each night.

or

Sage leaves and coconut oil: eyelashes conditioner
This home remedy is adapted from Kirby Koo's. I have sparse eyelashes, and my lower lashes are almost non-existence T_T

The ingredients call for olive oil, but I don't think I like the smell of it on my eyes, so I substitute it with my favorite coconut oil, which I found some other people use instead of olive oil. In addition, it has the 'darkening' effect on hair (I don't mind having my lashes grow more, longer and darker) Wink

Ingredients:

- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- about 7 or 8 fresh sage leaves
- a small bowl
- some boiling hot water (just enough to submerge the leaves)
- a small clean bottle
- cotton bud
Hasnaa
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
haha i'll make that!

I also found that you can add lemon peel to castor oil and also trimming them.

so I will add lemon peels to castor/olive oil for 4 days then add a tbs strong sage tea and use every night

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:14 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't use lemon on my eyes.

Fitgineer, castor oil is kind of "drawing." My theory is that it cleans the hair follicles and makes them healthier, but don't quote me on that...I'm not really sure why castor oil works on lashes, but it did help my top ones grow. Unfortunately it didn't do anything for my (then) non-existent lower lashes. I've got lower lashes now, but it's because of Careprost, not castor oil.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I made this solution yesterday. After some hours the 2/3 olive oil is on top and the 1/3 sage hits the bottom. So I suppose you have to shake it before using. Looks like sage is not soluble in olive oil.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Troya,
Interesting about the sage. It is one of my favorite essential oils, love its essence!! I sometimes add it to the bath water and sometimes to home candle essence systems, just love it!! I read long ago that applying the sage tea on hair made the white/graying hair darken, was interested in using it in the future though I'm blond!!!

Never actually thought about applying on the eyelashes for that purpose, great idea!! Cool
The mixture you've made is going to logically separate as it is part oil -olive- and part water -the sage tea. You always have to shake to mix that combination, it just doesn't mix unless used immediately after shaking it together. I'm pretty sure that just mixing before use should do the trick, and also that it will probably work as a 2 in 1, as an eye makeup remover and also lash conditioner!!! Cool

I think I'll make this oil/sage tea as my home made eye makeup remover!!! Thanks. Very Happy

Yet, if the interest is in eyelash growth and darkening, because of you starting this thread I think I would personally try by making an oil based macerated with the sage dry or fresh herb for about 20 days which is the usual for maceration timing to get the benefits of the herb/plant to sip in to the oil, then strain or leave in but strain to use. I agree with Immacolata that castor oil is the best known for eyelash growth but never actually tried to macerate anything in it, not sure if it is too thick or how it would work out....
So, I'm going to try both the castor oil and mmmm,... must think out what other oil to use as I don't like the smell of olive oil for facials, and the coconut oil though I love it for skin is usually slightly solid where I live so it would not sip up the sage herb extract well... Sad
By the way, macerating oils is a great way of making your own beauty potions!!!
Certainly interesting post!!
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 am      Reply with quote
I have no experience with herbs in general. I bouhght fresh sage, boiled water, mixed it with sage and let it soak for about an hour. then mixed 1 third with 2 rd of olive oil.

I had heard that just using prefab essential oil doesnt work for this purpose, so I wanna do it as well as possible.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 am      Reply with quote
Troya wrote:
I had heard that just using prefab essential oil doesnt work for this purpose, so I wanna do it as well as possible.

I would not use the essential oil for this purpose either, I think it wouldn't be good at all if some got into the eye, that's why I'd thought of the maceration of the natural or dry herb in an oil as an alternative to what you've made, which in any case I'm sure will work just as well if not better!
Please tell us if you notice any difference in your lash colour.
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:12 am      Reply with quote
on another forum I've read that the first 2-3 weeks you shouldnt notice anything, it takes time and then it starts to show. It's day 2 so I'm not supposed to see anything yet.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:22 am      Reply with quote
I'm in a bit of hurry right now so forgive me if this has already been covered, but: I don't know if sage works for this, but if it does you might want to figure out which components in the sage supposedly do the working. If they're water soluble, soaked sage in oil wouldn't have the same effect.

Be back later to talk more.
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:13 am      Reply with quote
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0183527.html

in this patent I read that clary sage has something to do with melanin production ( so hair darkening) Maybe some scientific people here could find out what part is responsible for it.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Back! I looked up the two listed isolates on pubchem and I didn't have much luck. Their entries were too small. One of them has an affect on blood vessels. Maybe someone brainy can take it from there.

I did run into a ton of info on the antioxidant activity of sage extracts and how it's great for melanoma and whatnot, so it stands to reason that is does other awesome things when applied topically.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
Interesting patent. Of the ingredients it mentions it is the "sclareolide" that actually comes from Clary sage.
The other one "hesperidim methyl chalcone" is not from sage, it derives from flavonoids from citrus fruits. It helps in the cosmetic world with dark circles under eyes because of its tonic effect on blood vessels.
Example of topical effect: http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/hesperidin-methyl-chalcone

About sage I can paste the whole data about it, including on page 12 more or less its results for darkening hair where it is used in infusion/tea -I can't copy and paste only the part about the hair stuff because of it being in PDF format:
http://www.dweckdata.com/Published_papers/Salvia.pdf

Some info here right at the end about the "sclareolide" being used in tanning/hair darkening products.
http://www.aphios.com/products/research-chemicals/sclareolide.html

And then curiously I come across a post on EDS posted by Troya about it from about two or three years ago!! Very Happy
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39761

So I guess, no scientific mind here, wish I were!!! That the combination of "hesperidin methyl chalcone" and the "sclareolide" is a question of a component helping with the blood vessels working great and being able to deliver the "sclareolide" to the root of the hair... Now, the question is if the "sclareolide" which is in the sage on its own, applied topically can darken the eyelashes.
As I mentioned before I have come across information about sage "tea" darkening the hair, so I think it is worth trying to use the infusion/tea on lashes.
I once darkened my hair but with black tea, it did certainly darken it till my next wash, and my mum mentions that they used dark black tea sometimes to fake tan their legs for a day!!! Never tried that and sounds weird to me... never told my mum what I thought though!!! Laughing
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I actually forgot about that topic I posted a couple of yrs ago. Never really experimented way back then. Now I'm really eager to find a solution.
I came across a testimonial on this on another forum. It does take time. Looking at the patent, it's not like black tea that stains the hair until the next wash. It should work at the pigment level.
Anyway. I'll be continuing using the infusion of sage and olive oil and in the mean time I hope to read other thoughts on this, so I can adjust things if this wouldnt work properly.

Personally I think the fact that patents include sage and you find many hits on sage and darkening hair is fascinating and worth to look into. seems like it's not just another wash out thing

oh yeah, I promised to give you the url of that testimonial:

http://www.untamedtresses.com/skin-care-makeup-41/does-eyelash-dye-count-makeup-3733/index3.html
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Troya wrote:
I actually forgot about that topic I posted a couple of yrs ago. Never really experimented way back then. Now I'm really eager to find a solution.
I came across a testimonial on this on another forum. It does take time. Looking at the patent, it's not like black tea that stains the hair until the next wash. It should work at the pigment level.

"It's not like black tea that stains the hair until the next wash"... Totally agree, I posted this comment as anecdotal... Confused

Have you actually read what I posted about "sclareolide"? Confused
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Reading the forum post you've given it has seemed to give results so it is worth trying!
I've bought some dried herb today to try with making the clary sage tea tomorrow and start adding it to my eyelashes. Worth trying for a month or so, no big deal. Smile
I always have essential sage oil, but for other purposes, not suitable for eyes.
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 am      Reply with quote
Yes I did, I think it's about penetration to the follicle. The olive oil might do the trick but if it's not sufficient other agents are worth trying. Would be cool to contact the patent holders although I think they only communicate B2B
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Been running this for a week now, of course it's too soon to notice results but I was wondering: how long can I preserve the solution? Will it still be okay after a month?
Troya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
today I'm two weeks into this experiment. No results as yet, but I've noticed the girl posting on untamed tresses didnt notice anything before week 3.

I also found another interesting patent:
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0102-695X2013000200008&script=sci_arttext

seems like the combination rosemary-sage is much more potent.

Hopefully a good scientist on this forum could give me the right amounts I should put into a formula.
stephanic

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
Well I have heard about olive oil which is beneficial for your eye lashes. But I don't know about sage. Is the product safe to use for eyelash?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |