Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Are facial exercises also good for young people?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Bloomy97

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Hello! I've been reading this forum for a while now but this is actually my first post. I've been researching quite a bit about skincare for a couple of years now, as I also really like makeup, and both things are pretty related. I'm very young (18 years old), and I want to be able to take proper care of my face, especially now that I'm still ahead of the aging game. I figure that I can do my best to avoid damage and try to maintain good quality skin. I'm already on a couple of creams and acids (recommended by my dermatologist for some issues with acne, blemishes and large pores), and I use sunscreen religiously. My skin is not the best and I tend to have problems with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, but all in all it's not terrible. The thing that does bother me, however, are my nasolabial folds. I didn't have them a couple of years ago, and I'm not quite sure of why they appeared, but I think it could be related with all the smiling I had to do on my previous job. I would literally go home with the lower part of my face feeling incredibly sore. Maybe that caused the skin to sag a bit prematurely? I don't really know. I also think I have more jowls than I used to. It might be hereditary because my mom has pretty pronounced NLs and considerable sagging (although not so many wrinkles).

So I was looking for a way to get rid of them or at least make them look a bit better (especially the one on the right side of my face, which is the most obvious one). I came across a lot of recommendations regarding facial exercises, but I'm afraid of overtraining or making things worse because of my age. Is there a problem with starting this young? I mean, I figure it would be something beneficial to start as early as possible, right? I also have very deep hereditary tear throughs, but I don't think there's anything I can do about that. I've had them since I was 5 years old Laughing
I do admit that I could really improve my diet and my water intake, which I'm currently working on. I've also been reading a lot about green smoothies and supplements (such as msm for example, among others), and was thinking of taking care of these nutriotinal aspects before starting facial exercises, as I've read that if you don't have enough proteins, vitamins and minerals for your skin to build muscle and be elastic, you could end up with some loose skin because of fat loss. I also need to start sleeping better.

I'm currently looking into different programs to gather information and try to make a decision about which one to start with. I already have Flex effect, and have finished reading their entire manual. However, some people were saying that their routine was a bit aggressive, and since I haven't even reached my 20s, it made me worry a little about it (especially because of all the tugging of the skin). I know the logic behind the resistance training and the exercises, and I think that it's probably great, but I've been told to not touch my face for so long that it makes me a little scared to start stretching it so much. Would it be better for me to start with a softer program or just simple massage techniques? So that I can see how my skin reacts and then move on to something more aggressive if everything goes well?

Thanks everyone for reading! Any reply will be appreciated Very Happy
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:47 am      Reply with quote
Okay a few things from me which are just my opinion here, but I have done facial exercises for over 10 years now and I am a keen reader too.

From what I have read facial exercises are not for those under 30. Doing them now will mess up your face big time. Don't do them. I don't give a crap what you have read about them - and whilst I do flexeffect i have read many youngsters regret doing them at your age so would rather you not get to that stage.

Prevention is better than cure so for now look at things like vit C serum, and sun protection are musts.

Bloomy97 wrote:
Hello! I've been reading this forum for a while now but this is actually my first post. I've been researching quite a bit about skincare for a couple of years now, as I also really like makeup, and both things are pretty related. I'm very young (18 years old), and I want to be able to take proper care of my face, especially now that I'm still ahead of the aging game. I figure that I can do my best to avoid damage and try to maintain good quality skin. I'm already on a couple of creams and acids (recommended by my dermatologist for some issues with acne, blemishes and large pores), and I use sunscreen religiously. My skin is not the best and I tend to have problems with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, but all in all it's not terrible. The thing that does bother me, however, are my nasolabial folds. I didn't have them a couple of years ago, and I'm not quite sure of why they appeared, but I think it could be related with all the smiling I had to do on my previous job. I would literally go home with the lower part of my face feeling incredibly sore. Maybe that caused the skin to sag a bit prematurely? I don't really know. I also think I have more jowls than I used to. It might be hereditary because my mom has pretty pronounced NLs and considerable sagging (although not so many wrinkles).

So I was looking for a way to get rid of them or at least make them look a bit better (especially the one on the right side of my face, which is the most obvious one). I came across a lot of recommendations regarding facial exercises, but I'm afraid of overtraining or making things worse because of my age. Is there a problem with starting this young? I mean, I figure it would be something beneficial to start as early as possible, right? I also have very deep hereditary tear throughs, but I don't think there's anything I can do about that. I've had them since I was 5 years old Laughing
I do admit that I could really improve my diet and my water intake, which I'm currently working on. I've also been reading a lot about green smoothies and supplements (such as msm for example, among others), and was thinking of taking care of these nutriotinal aspects before starting facial exercises, as I've read that if you don't have enough proteins, vitamins and minerals for your skin to build muscle and be elastic, you could end up with some loose skin because of fat loss. I also need to start sleeping better.

I'm currently looking into different programs to gather information and try to make a decision about which one to start with. I already have Flex effect, and have finished reading their entire manual. However, some people were saying that their routine was a bit aggressive, and since I haven't even reached my 20s, it made me worry a little about it (especially because of all the tugging of the skin). I know the logic behind the resistance training and the exercises, and I think that it's probably great, but I've been told to not touch my face for so long that it makes me a little scared to start stretching it so much. Would it be better for me to start with a softer program or just simple massage techniques? So that I can see how my skin reacts and then move on to something more aggressive if everything goes well?

Thanks everyone for reading! Any reply will be appreciated Very Happy
Bloomy97

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you TheresaMary! I was actually thinking about making a DIY Vit C serum following some of the recipes that I've seen posted here. Do you have any advice for trying to lessen NLs without using facial exercises? I'm really trying to avoid fillers if possible. Maybe dermarolling could help? Is massage also bad if you're young or only facial exercises?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:14 am      Reply with quote
My take is this – at 18 years your face and body is still developing and will be for at least the next 5 plus years. So messing about with exercises or massage is going to create more problems than solve them. Sorry I know some programs out there claim that you should do them as early as possible, but from what I have seen youngsters who start always have issues. Exercises are mostly helping with fixing issues, so at 18 years if you have NLs and that can be from a variety of things like genetics, lifestyle which are all things you have said then I’d start out there.

Dermarolling encourages inflammation – so I’d only do that if you want to age rapidly and end up worse off. If you start encouraging inflammation in your body. Inflamation occurs naturally within the body but a process like dermarolling increases its presence which starts off a chain of events that won’t help you long term or short term.

Now you mentioned previously the one on the right side is more obvious. Could this be the side you sleep on? Do you sleep crushing that side into the pillow? This could be habit caused, or it may be even expression caused – meaning are you making an expression repeatedly during the day that engages that side.

Again focus on prevent – sunscreen and Vit C are musts. Doing things at such a young age will probably cause you more stress long term because whilst your face is still developing and changing, anything you do will interrupt those changes and may event prevent them. You mentioned previously diet and water intake are areas you need to deal with – well that’s a full time job that the sooner you start the better off you will be. Same with sleep – sooner you take action the better because lack of sleep ages you faster than anything!
Bhim

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Dermatologist and Doctor say:On the light of the studies is not proof that facial excercise work.just eat an apple everyday & your facial muscles get all the excercise they need...
Thanks everyone for reading..
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:05 am      Reply with quote
That’s just your personal opinion with very little fact. Actually a lot of derms and doctors are recommending facial exercises now. Perricone, Pickart and a few others I’ve heard all give positive comments about them.

Eating an apple every day does not equal exercising the facial muscles. Just the most stupidest comparison ever. Like saying if I lift my hand up and down I will grow big biceps – not going to happen. When you use facial exercises, its often using the muscles against resistance which forces them to work harder. Eating an apple does not help you engage more muscles, nor does it increase their strength/size.

Bhim wrote:
Dermatologist and Doctor say:On the light of the studies is not proof that facial excercise work.just eat an apple everyday & your facial muscles get all the excercise they need...
Thanks everyone for reading..
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |