Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help!! I need to replicate a formula for Hair Loss for my DH
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
PurpleRain
5% products discount

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, I'm trying to replicate a formula that my boyfriend uses on his hair. He buys it at the chemist.

In the last 2 years he has lost a lot of hair on the back top of the head and now in the front top too.

The formula it's too expensive, and he cannot always aford it nor use it twice a day as recommended to him. On the other hand the ingredients are freaking cheap!!! I want to help him with this.

I must say that I'm not convinced that I like his formula (too much alcohol). For this reason I'm planning to do a better one in the future. But right now I would love to do this one for him until I make a better product. He is runing out of it!

This is the INCI: Water, Alcohol Denat, Parfum* (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Oil*), Lactic Acid, Eucalyptus Globulus oil, Mentha Arvensis oil, Thymus Vulgaris oil

I read that lactic acid it's good for hair loss because the exfolian effect on the scalp would be of help.

I know alcohol can act as a preservative and as a penetration enhancer.

And the essential oils have some stimulating properties.
Long time ago I read a PDF of a US patent of natural alternative to Minoxill. It just used some of these essential oils and emu oil as carrier. I know emu oil can be a penetration enhancer.

Anyways, my main question is, how much water and how much alcohol?
His formula contains 1% of essential oils and one of the suppliers for lactic acid says to use it at 1% - 0,5% (for moisturising properties)

Water................................ ?
Alcohol.............................. ?
Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Oil............ ?
Lactic Acid.......................... ?
Eucalyptus Globulus oil.............. ?
Mentha Arvensis oil.................. ?
Thymus Vulgaris oil.................. ?

Any help for making something similar would be great. This is the focus of this post.

If you don't know, but you have any other recipe that its better that this I would be very happy to hear about it. On my next serum for him I want to use B3, maybe caffeine, B5, probably a tiny amount of alcohol, maybe some sea kelp, water and some jojoba oil to make it a bit more emollient, because if the scalp gets inflamed, that's not good for hair loss.

36 y/o female. Lately super-sensitive skin, highly reactive, dehydrated with redness. Calming it down with Ghee and and ecologic cream with Zinc. Pre-shampoo oils (coconut and olive oil) for weak, frizzy, dehydrated hair. Henna for white hairs. Water and ACV for final rinse. These are the things that WORKS for me at the moment.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there

I can't help with that mixture, but here is something that's basically free and easy to make:

http://www.truthquest2.com/hair.htm

A guy using this formula (or something similar) posted some amazing regrowth pictures.

I just started using this formula only about 2 weeks ago.
PurpleRain
5% products discount

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks johndoe 1125. I would love to know how it works to you in the long run. The recipe it's really simple and I have all the ingredients. I always have fresh ginger on my morning tea. We may try it. Ginger its powerfull stuff.

Still, I want to create the formula I posted because if he stops it he'll loose a lot of hair.

36 y/o female. Lately super-sensitive skin, highly reactive, dehydrated with redness. Calming it down with Ghee and and ecologic cream with Zinc. Pre-shampoo oils (coconut and olive oil) for weak, frizzy, dehydrated hair. Henna for white hairs. Water and ACV for final rinse. These are the things that WORKS for me at the moment.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Sure thing, if I get any results from it I'll make a thread, good luck.

I also make tea with it like you mention.
PurpleRain
5% products discount

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:11 am      Reply with quote
My boyfriend did yesterday a strong tea with ginger, thymus and rosemary while he waits for a stronger product that I create for him, so we will see how it goes.

Regarding the formula he uses I though of adding 20% alcohol as that seems the minimun for self preserving products. What do expert DIYers think about this?

Better recipes are welcome.

johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:31 am      Reply with quote
PurpleRain wrote:
My boyfriend did yesterday a strong tea with ginger, thymus and rosemary while he waits for a stronger product that I create for him, so we will see how it goes.

Regarding the formula he uses I though of adding 20% alcohol as that seems the minimun for self preserving products. What do expert DIYers think about this?

Sorry to go off topic again, but how many herbs can you actually add to a DIY hairspray? I wanted to make one with thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, basil, etc., but is there a point where it's just too much, and the ingredients lose effectiveness or something?
PurpleRain
5% products discount

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
I really don't know but I think that probably less is more as in many cases. Then you see products with a million of herbal extracts. If you find out I would be interested in knowing it.

johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, that question is bothering me, I really want to make a super herbal hairspray.

I guess there's no harm in trying though, I could make it and spray it all over my scalp an hour or so before I shower one day and see how it feels. After all, all the ingredients would be 100% natural.
PurpleRain
5% products discount

Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I found this here susunweed com Article_Simple_Safe_Herbal_Medicine

Quote:
* Use simples

A simple is one herb. For optimum safety, I prepare, buy, sell, teach about and use herbal simples, that is: preparations containing only one herb. (Occasionally I use will add some mint to flavor a remedy.)

The more herbs there are in a formula, the more likelihood there is of unwanted side-effects. Understandably, the public seeks combinations, hoping to get more for less. And many mistakenly believe that herbs must be used together to be effective (probably because potentially poisonous herbs are often combined with protective herbs to mitigate the damage they cause). But combining herbs with the same properties, such as goldenseal and echinacea, is counter-productive and more likely to cause trouble than a simple. A simple tincture of echinacea is more effective than any combination and much safer.)

But, still in herbal infusion, they are less potent and for hair I don't think mixing 4-5 herbs will be of any problem (my opinion)

This website it's quite interesting to learn more about this: infoherb using-herbs

Quote:
BUILDING YOUR FORMULA. Building formulas is educational and fun. Normally we use more than one herb, as the synergy of the herbs will be stronger acting for the condition, at the same time don’t use too many herbs in a formula as it is more effective to give more quantity of a few herbs than very small amounts of many herbs.
In most cases you will find that between 4 or 6 herbs will accomplish the objective, and will give you the herbal actions required for most cases.

Hope this helps

johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Hmm that's interesting, thanks, but maybe it's simply not necessary to mix so many herbs like I wanted to. I'll try anyway just to see what happens and how it smells, lol

It's interesting that it says between 4-6 herbs are ok and my ginger hairspray only has 3 (well ginger isn't an herb, so 2). Maybe I could add a few more.
PurpleRain
5% products discount

Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:56 am      Reply with quote
This is an update on the herbal tea my boyfriend made. He has been using it 4-5 days, but I wanted to say that his hair it's better: softer and shinier. More healthy looking.

And this is good, because all of his front hair was falling of and looking dry and weak.

It's to soon to know if it's helping with the hair loss though.

I think the alcohol mix from the chemist it's way to strong for the hair/scalp. My uncle it's a chemist and he said that he would not put that mix on his head. He uses a homemade shampoo with jojoba oil and EO's which is closer to the milder idea I have.

So, I will talk to my boyfriend as I haven't paced yet the order for the ingredients to create his mix, to buy ingredient to create the formula that it's effective (hopefully ^_^) but milder.

So thanks johndoe1125, because your idea is helping his hair.

bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
Can topical products stop hair loss from hormonal, vitamin deficiencies, or genetics? I recently went through hormonal and thyroid hell where I lost half my hair in 1 year.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
If you (your BF) want to stay away from minoxidil or propecia, you will find lots of good info and studies at hairloss-research (dot) org featuring supplements.

If you're not afraid of minoxidil, there have been encouraging studies done on once a week dermarolling with daily application of minoxidil.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Some herbs cancel each other out and some have similar properties. For a really good spray - you want to aim for about 1-3 different herbs. Rosemary is the be all and end all for hair - it has so many nourishing properties and has been used for centuries. Other things that can help depend on what you are dealing with. For example if you are looking at inflammation or clogged pores on the head, or even detoxing from chemicals etc.

Also another thing that supposedily good for the hair that I haven't yet tried is alledgedly gelatin. Apparently it helps to coat and thicken the hair as well as being a growth agent. I haven't tried it yet but am going to!
johndoe1125 wrote:
PurpleRain wrote:

Sorry to go off topic again, but how many herbs can you actually add to a DIY hairspray? I wanted to make one with thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, basil, etc., but is there a point where it's just too much, and the ingredients lose effectiveness or something?
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I put rosemary and peppermint essential oils in my shampoo. I believe the problem of hair loss is due to my low iron. I also have low stomach acid therefore I can't absorb the nutrients as well.

5% products discount

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:23 am      Reply with quote
bugaboo: No, topical products can't stop hair loss from hormonal, vitamin deficiencies, or genetics as far as I know. Massaging with a topical product definitely helps improving circulation, and that can be noticeable as in my boyfriend. I don't know his cause of hair loss though.

If you have thyroid problems hair loss it's very common. If you can get to balance that your hair will improve. Iodine its very important for this thyroid health-hair thing. But I would only take it knowing more about the problem because if you have Hashimotos, iodine can cause a lot of harm. So first you need to be sure of your exact contrition, then I would supplement with Selenium for a while (super-helfull for hypothyroid people) and only then with iodine (if you are full of selenium iodine will not to be a problem)

Bear in mind that this is just knowledge I have learned over the years on Internet reading from Thyroid docs etc.

I have hormonal problems (thyroid, adrenals) + gut problems and I have lost a lot of hair. I always try my best (and in a natural way) to improve my hair as much as I can.

When you are Hypo, hair usually became dehydrated, brittle, high porous and in general ugly. for these problems I suggest to make an oil mask prior showering. The oils should be either coconut, olive oil or both as these 2 oils have the particularity to penetrate the hair shalf and fill the holes on it.
Then, henna, its also very good as it's strengths a weak hair. When I don my henna my hair looks fuller and it has more body and bounce.
And finally, these type of hair can have a lost of some proteins like keratin. I used to do hair masks with eggs, etc and it was Ok, better than nothing. but one day bought a shampoo that must have a lost of keratin on it an d OMG, my hair has get back again his shine, bounce...it looks much better, less porous...so in my case my hair needs both moisturiser (oils and keratin. Since I use this shampoo I don'e need the pre-shampoo oil treatment or masks anymore.
And finally, once it's dry I apply a bit of argan oil (it ads a bit of shine, moisturises)
Finally, hair problemas re very particular and you need to discover what you hair lacks.

If your scalp it's painful (tipical in hair loss) when you touch it probably that's due to inflammation. Since I'm taking 500mg of Curcume (in a pill) a day those pains disappeared (+ my body aches)
Oh! And also, after the shower I do a apple vinegar rinse with water. That always helps my hair.

With all these little things I do my hair look the best it can with all the health problems I have.

I just read your comment "I believe the problem of hair loss is due to my low iron. I also have low stomach acid therefore I can't absorb the nutrients as well." Ok, yes, low iron and low acid in the stomach definitely are really bad for hair loss. And those 2 are linked t hypothyroidism. So try to improve that, and the rest will improve (hopefully) As a side note I have those both problemas too. From time to time I supplement with iron and I have to say that may hair gets better. when I'm to low i iron it s horrid.
Also, try sipping water with apple cider vinegar before and during a meal to give your stomach more acid. Eat salas and juices as I found this ti help with this too.

maxheadroom: we both want to stay away from Minox. We prefer to try the natural route. Althought I have a recipe for a natural alternative that states that the efficacy its like Minox. This is one of the recipes I'll definitely make and try once I gather everything together. Dermarolling I have read great thing about this for hair, and it's something I (and my BF)could try in a future if all other things don't work.

TheresaMary: you are right 1-3 herbs are good. As you said ideally you should know what exactly it's your problem, but generally that's the difficult part (if your doctors don't care or don't have the money to pay an expert) Are you talking about consuming gelatin or about some kind of mask?

TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Ooh could you share the recipe for the alternative. My hubby has recently started going bald and to be honest I think its more genetics than anything but he’s asked me to go on a mission with finding something for him. So far I have rosemary hair water that he allows me to massage in for him, but we’ve only started this week and so I’m looking for more ideas. He was considering Minoxodil but I am not so keen for him to use it as I too prefer natural recipes.

That tea sounds interesting – I might suggest that to him. What is Thymus – I know ginger and rosemary well but not heard that one before. Do you use fresh herbs or dried ones?

With the gelatin they actually seem to suggest applying it to hair and leaving it on. They say it conditions and thickens the hair as its able to penetrate the hair shaft. I haven’t tried it yet but am going food shopping tomorrow so will grab some them and see what it does. I suppose consuming it too would be beneficial.

I know I have in the past made sweets out of gelatin and orange juice for my kids when they were younger as that was one way of getting vitamins into them (and some camu camu powder). They used to love those sweets and they were a bit like Jelly Babies.
PurpleRain wrote:
maxheadroom: we both want to stay away from Minox. We prefer to try the natural route. Althought I have a recipe for a natural alternative that states that the efficacy its like Minox. This is one of the recipes I'll definitely make and try once I gather everything together. Dermarolling I have read great thing about this for hair, and it's something I (and my BF)could try in a future if all other things don't work.

TheresaMary: you are right 1-3 herbs are good. As you said ideally you should know what exactly it's your problem, but generally that's the difficult part (if your doctors don't care or don't have the money to pay an expert) Are you talking about consuming gelatin or about some kind of mask?
PurpleRain
5% products discount

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Thymus ^_^ hehe sorry, my English... I meant Thyme. I use dry herbs, but the ginger it's a fresh root. He added coffee in the last batch as i told him caffeine was stimulant to hair. But I will be buying caffeine as it's more potent than plain coffee.

I don't know if the herbal mixture he uses now helps with his hair loss bu it's better that the previous alcohol based one as the alcohol was drying his scalp. I think the answer it's in essential oils for this purpose (much powerful)

I have read too many bad thing on Minox from users. We prefer to have less hair that to have more health problems ^_^ Also, once you start...that's for life.

The recipe I talked about it's inspired in a US Patent as a natural alternative to minoxidil. I found that really interesting. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but definitely will: https://campwander.com/2013/11/organic-root-stimulating-serum-a-natural/

Super-interesting about the gelatin on the hair. I will definitely try as I love gelatin for it's healthy properties. Also, what I noticed with the Keratin (protein) shampoo is like my shaft it's much better. I guess gelatin (another type of protein) can help too. If you try it out, please let me know. I'm with my henna on my hair no, so for a few days my hair will look super-gorgeous.

Gelatin: jellys, smoothies, bone broth, things cooked on bone broth.

System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |