Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

SILICA users: Which is the BEST BRAND for hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
DOXIEBESTDOG

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,
I have been reading interesting posts in regards to SILICA/horsetail. I came accross to diffrent brands/capsules/crystals/ gel/liquid> I am confused with the absorption issue:
Jarrow (apparently it taste nasty)
Flora
Nature's Way
Biosil
Anyone experienced good results with any of these brands? Any other suggestions? Basically I want it for hair growth/shiny hair/eyelashes. Any help will be greatly appreciate it!
Thanks!!!

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Ooopppsss no one reply to my post, so I will reply to myself (funny).
I asked some very nice ladies. As follows you can see their answers. Hoping it might help some of you that are undecided:

FIRST

Iam well thankyou for asking:+) I take Horsetail Grass by Natures Way. This is what it says on the side of my bottle: Horsetail Grass (Equisetum Arvense) is a source of Silica heavily concentrated in its dried stems. The name comes from the appearance of the mature plant,which resembles a horse's tail. I went to the health store and got help with this there are lots of kinds out there you are correct there. They range in $8 up to $24. They were out of the one I wanted to try it was less expensive. They had the $24 stuff I did not want it. I asked them if they had anything herbal. The women then went and looked at the herbal stuff she told me she did not even think about Horsetail which is the same thing. I got this big printout on eveything it can do and whats it for and stuff. My best advice to you would be to go to a health food store, like Whole Foods. They are knowledgeable there and could help explain it all to you. I dont know the differences or anything. It just decided to try the Horsetail and I feel it has helped me. I did not know that there is liquid Silica I will have to check into this. Thank you for telling me this. I take liquid vitimins they are easy-er for me to take. I have a very small throat and problems with pills. The Horsetail pill is pretty good sized. I would like a liquid if I could get one. Have a good night.

SECOND
above is the Silica i take - I use High Strength Silica Tablets from Holland & Barrett shops - i live in Ireland, so im not sure if H&B have stores where you live.They are suitable for Vegetarians & Vegans. I just take 1 tablet with my breakfast each morning.
It took about 2 months for me to see a difference - but i really notice it now ( i have been taking it for over a year), my nails are way stronger & also my hair is stronger (even though it is quite long).
I have only ever taken the H&B one, but i would reccommend it.
-Hope this has been of some help.

THIRD
Hi Smile
I have tried various forms of silica. The first I tried was a herb called horsetail (the name still makes me laugh..hehe) and I tried a few different brands. The second was a liquid silica from quartz and I think the brand was German or Swiss. The third I have tried and stuck with for several years now is the silica from bamboo. The brand I use is Enerex and the product is called Bamboo-Sil. I find it does great things for strengthening nails and keeping skin and hair looking great. You have to stick with it though, as with most supplements. Imo, results are around six months to really notice. Smile

Fourth
Chris,
I highly recommend KAL Brand Super Silica Plus. It's the only one that I've found that doesn't upset my stomach and it has a higher concentration of Silica.
Hope that helps!

I am inclining for the BAMBOO SILICA. I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED!!!
Doxie

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Let me know how the Enerex works for you. Appreciate all the info you posted.
DOXIEBESTDOG

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
IN AN EFFORT TO CONTINUE TO REPLY TO MYSELF, (PLEASE DON'T THIN THAT I LOST IT, IS JUST THAT I WANT TO SHARE THIS INFO WITH THE ONES THAT HAVE BEEN READING THIS POST, AND ARE UNDECIDED ON WHAT TO BUY PLUS I AM HAVING FUN!). IN REGARDS TO MY OWN FIRST REPLY: I FORGOT ONE POST FROM ANOTHER PERSON:

"I use vitamin world's silica (from horsetail) and vitamin world's mega hair vitamins (with biotin). i tried GNC's version but they seemed to do nothing for my hair. plus vitamin world has buy one, get one free...or buy one, get one half off the first of evey month.

also, on occasion, i take biosil. i bought the biosil at a healthfood store. i like the biosil capsules -but i bought the liquid form last time bc they were sold out of the capsules. the liquid form tastes AWFUL which is why i havent used it much.

in 2005 i consistantly used all of these
supplements -and i saw great results -longer healthier hair. last year i wasnt very consistant, I hope this might help".

[size=18]I have been searching more about silica bamboo, so I took the following fron a site:[/size]
"Bamboo is an edible grass that has been part of the diet of mankind for thousands of years. It is also the principal food for many species of mammals. For example, bamboo is the principal food of the Indian elephant. The Indian elephant is smaller than its African cousin, but it is much stronger. The Giant Panda of China exists almost exclusively on bamboo, and its skeletal system is incredibly strong, yet very flexible. These unique properties are thought to be related in some part to the high silica content of bamboo.

Bamboo extract is the richest known source of natural silica containing over 70% organic silica. This is more than 10 times the level as found in the widely used Horsetail plant (Equisetum) that contains about 5 - 7% silica. Bamboo Sil extract is prepared from Tabashir bamboo stem from India (Bambusa vulgaris).

Silicon (Si) is the second most abundant element on earth after oxygen. It is a sister element of carbon. Silicon's role as an essential nutrient was not established until 1972, but silicon is now known to play a part in the integrity of the skin, ligaments, tendons and bone.
The body constantly metabolizes silicic acid. Silica is eliminated through such natural processes as urination, hair loss and nail trimming. This natural secretion of silica can be from 10 to 40 mg daily. The average adult body contains about 20 grams of silica, and it is necessary for the body's silica stores to be maintained at this level to promote good health. As we age, less silica is assimilated, therefore daily supplementation with Bamboo Sil will help maintain this necessary equilibrium and to minimize the effects of premature aging".

From a diffrent site:
"Bamboo Silica
This deserves a good word, as silica is in all connective tissue (along with collagen). How strong that tissue is depends on how strong the collagen is and how much silica it contains. Adding Bamboo Silica will help strengthen your connective tissue".

Hoping I will not end up with "Panda eyes" after the SILICA BAMBOO!!! Although they have super cute eyes!!!

Have a nice day,
Doxie

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Cellfood (Lumina Health) silica has worked the best for me.
tam
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I use Solaray's Hair Blend Sp-38.

Here are the ingredients:

Proprietary Blend SAW PALMETTO (SERENOA REPENS)(BERRY), HORSETAIL (EQUISETUM ARVENSE)(AERIAL), WATERCRESS (NASTURTIUM OFFICINALE)(AERIAL), JUNIPER (JUNIPERUS COMMUNIS)

Other Ingredients:
Gelatin (capsule), potassium phosphate 3x, potassium sulfate 3x and silica 6x.
starstern

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
diatomaceous earth how does it compare to bamboo in quality and bioavailability of silica?
KCC_ATX

Thu May 25, 2017 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've had decent luck regrowing long, strong fingernails using JarroSil. (They'd declined with age in my late 40s.)

Recently I started using diatomaceous earth, 2 heaping tbsp every morning, and OMG, what a huge difference!

My nails showed marked improvement in 1-2 weeks. After one month they are almost as long, strong, and gorgeous as they were in my 20s. I never expected such amazing results. And DE is so cheap, it's crazy.

I believe my hair is also growing faster/better. It's already quite thick, though had become thin in places (up top and at hairline) that are now looking full and thick again, like the rest of my head/hair.
starstern

Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
mac8 had you tried lumina after have been trying the other forms of silica ,bamboo,horsetail,diatomaceous earth,biosil, and felt better results only after lumina ??
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |