Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Organic food no better for us?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I found this article very interesting. http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1355685

Conclusion: The published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods. Consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residues and antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I saw this article on Yahoo News. I'm still not sure what to make of it all.
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Reduced exposure to pesticide residue and antibiotic-resistant bacteria sounds like a good thing. Don't forget pesticides may build up in the body over time.
Organic meat and dairy will also contain less medicine (antibiotics) residue - garbage in, garbage out also goes for milk and egg producing animals, and pesticide build up in meat (pesticide sprayed fodder) will end up in your body when you eat meat.
All this not taking into account the environmental effects of the use of pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, medications for cattle and pigs (that will, through their manure, eventually leave residues in the soil) that probaby will cause problems for the generations to come. Organic is better all round (but very, very expensive, alas).
Kgeaux
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I read that article, too.

I live in USA, Louisiana to narrow it down, and I am very familiar with the increased rates of cancer along what we call "cancer alley. (an area with many chemical companies, along with oil production and many refineries.) My grandfather died of liver cancer, along with so many of his neighbors that that CDC declared it a "cancer cluster." a neighbor city has experienced a cluster of children suffering and dying of a rare brain cancer.

I certainly hope this study is correct, but I am not willing to place all my bets on it!

I believe it is just common sense to eat foods which do not contain pesticides or hormones. If I am wrong, I guess I will have wasted a little tiny bit of money buying organic produce and meats. If I am right, those extra dollars will save my life-----or the lives of the children I grew within me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
I take reports like that with eating healthy takes a little planning and some hunting around: Having a garden, knowing where and when to purchase organic, freezing and canning organically grown foods to get through the winter, find someone who raises their own chickens, get organic eggs from the local farmer, buy into a cow or pig with another person or a few other. It feels good to know I am not feeding my children nor myself antibiotics, hormones, etc - and with the poor practices of raising animals in the commercial market we can only guess the quality of the animals. It does matter. All of those things build up in the system and ultimately it may not be traced but it matters. And overall health depends upon it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
Reduced exposure to pesticide residue and antibiotic-resistant bacteria sounds like a good thing. Don't forget pesticides may build up in the body over time.
Organic meat and dairy will also contain less medicine (antibiotics) residue - garbage in, garbage out also goes for milk and egg producing animals, and pesticide build up in meat (pesticide sprayed fodder) will end up in your body when you eat meat.
All this not taking into account the environmental effects of the use of pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, medications for cattle and pigs (that will, through their manure, eventually leave residues in the soil) that probaby will cause problems for the generations to come. Organic is better all round (but very, very expensive, alas).

I absolutely agree. Also, we must remember that the organisations behind such reporting often have a vested interest in promoting non-organic food. No wonder they don't want us to think it's better for us.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Limiting your exposure to pesticides and super bugs should be reason enough. Razz

I bet if they did a study on conventionally grown local produce vs. organic local produce there would be much more of a difference in quality. It's the long transport times that cause all the goodies to break down, no matter how the veggie or fruit was grown.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I take reports like that with eating healthy takes a little planning and some hunting around: Having a garden, knowing where and when to purchase organic, freezing and canning organically grown foods to get through the winter, find someone who raises their own chickens, get organic eggs from the local farmer, buy into a cow or pig with another person or a few other. It feels good to know I am not feeding my children nor myself antibiotics, hormones, etc - and with the poor practices of raising animals in the commercial market we can only guess the quality of the animals. It does matter. All of those things build up in the system and ultimately it may not be traced but it matters. And overall health depends upon it.

I'm with you. There is nothing about the human body that suggests we need extra chemicals in our body. Extra hormones etc.

I imagine the early puberty we see now adays has a bit to do with hormones that are ingested. Not ideal.

Just started the fall garden... Woo hoo. Every little bit helps.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 am      Reply with quote
For those interested in this subject an interesting read is The Body Restoration Plan by Paula Bailie-Hamilton. Her premise is that overweight difficult to avoid in today's world because of the overwhelming amounts of chemicals in our food and environment that mimic estrogen and cause weight gain.

There has also been speculation that girls are coming into puberty at younger ages because of the estrogen and estrogen-like chemicals that are ubiquitous in our western civilization. Puberty in girls is linked to body fat, as well.

I only wish Dr. Baillie Hamilton had presented her case in a more scientific style, instead of the "ladies Home Journal" style of writing; probably she thought a more prosey presentation would be more accessible. But the actual information is very interesting.
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I feel better, no pesticide residues.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Nonsense, and I'll bet the food industry is lurking somewhere behind this article.

Even if it weren't better for you (and pesticide-free is ALWAYS better), organic food simply tastes better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:53 am      Reply with quote
I agree that most, but not all, organic foods I have tried taste better. For produce, it depends on how ripe it was when it was picked. Still, no pesticides or other pests is a good thing. Even the dairy products taste "fresher" to me, similar to when I was a kid and grew up across the road from a dairy farm where we bought our milk.

Monsanto and GMO companies are panicking because their applications to grow GMO crops is Europe were turned down. Yippee! See -- if you speak out loudly enough and with enough voices, you will be heard.

I wish schools would bring back Home Ec classes for both boys and girls to teach kids how to cook. They really need it these days because the parents don't cook. Then they wouldn't eat all the processed crap.

I realize schools cannot teach worthwhile courses any more because of the high administrative costs of office staff and teacher pensions and benefits so there is no money for the kids. Remember that next time a proposition comes up for voting and they tell you "It's for the kids." Vote NO!

It would be nice if there were volunteers for after school programs for something like that, though.
LikeFineWine

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
There is no possible way that organically grown (without the use of chemical pesticides) food couldn't be better for you. Pesticides poison the insects. We are not immune to those poisons and many are systemic, meaning they cannot be washed off. They become part of the vegetable or fruit.
Whatever you have spent on organic foods and organically produced dairy products is not wasted money. Just my opinion. I feel this way...Pay the organic farmer or pay the doctor.
TwinTails

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Virtually no one seems to understand how cancer works, or they wouldn't even suggest GMO, steroids, or pesticides on your food would increase your risk. Yes, people who work on farms and have pesticides settle directly on their skin while it bakes in the sun, seem to have a slightly elevated risk of skin cancer. That's it. No one has demonstrated that ingesting foods exposed to pesticides have increased risk of cancer. And most "organic" food uses pesticides.

And the only way directly using steroids(as opposed to eating something fed steroids), can be a cancer risk, is for existing cancer in your body. If you already have some cancerous cells, and take steroids, it can cause the cancer to grow, much, much faster. That has no relation to eating meat.

Cancer is caused by damage to your DNA. There is nothing about making a tomato drought resistant that causes it to have something more likely to cause a replication error. I've asked many people, please explain to me how a GMO or pesticide, or steroid fed meat, could be digested and then, once in your bloodstream, possibly damage your cell structure.

Give me a specific explanation. Not something about voodoo "toxins" which have nothing to do with cancer(as 'toxins' are not even a specific thing). Explain to me how this would work on a cellular level.
LikeFineWine

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Well, cancer has become nearly epidemic in our modern society. There's a reason why. I do understand that the commercial food producers must use something to control insects in order to feed a large population. Fact is there is a price to pay for the convenience and for the year round availability. I have to disagree that toxins are simply "voodoo". Even pesticides for home use usually display a warning to keep away from food sources...because it's just plain not wise to ingest it even though it may not kill us on the spot. Food nourishes the body otherwise the cells that make up the body will starve to death. Therefore my logical conclusion is that toxins in the food may also affect the body on a cellular level. Some people seem less affected and that may be due to genetics or other lifestyle choices.
I personally am not a nut about food. I do what I can, buy as much organically grown food as I afford and forget the rest.
When I eat junky, sugary,chemical laden food, I know I'm at risk for a day long migraine later. I do it anyway. My stupid choice. Confused
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:42 am      Reply with quote
There are so many different types of cancer out there – and we are all different genetics, lifestyles etc and that too has a result. We all have cancer cells in our bodies, but its when they go out of balance and start reproducing or multiplying that is when the issues start to arise. This can happen for a wide variety of reasons from stressful situations like divorce or redundancy to seemingly appearing out of nowhere. Whilst I suspect there isn’t yet any evidence to suggest what we ingest can have an effect, it isn’t in the doctors/scientists best interests to demonstrate that this is so and so its often been said to be a conspiracy. My dear hubby caught cancer a few years back and so I had to learn a lot about it and how to live with it during that time and I did. There are a lot of scarey stories out there – but there is little truth to them. My hubby did give up meat after reading Gerson therapy which is a very strict dieting factor alongside medication. He said he felt better for having given up meat, and his body changed very fast and quickly. However many people who do that, do lose weight etc yet feel they are eating more of the “right” kinds of foods.
valmontfan1984
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:03 am      Reply with quote
I been having organic food on and off. Does not really see a difference to my body between it and the conventional one. However, organic food does taste a lot better than conventional.
NostalgicGirl
5% products discount

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Processed food items will likely to add up some sort of disease/complication. Organic is best, full nutritional value with no added chemicals.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I go through periods of belief and disbelief. To me if organic food is so much better, then can someone please explain why it is so darned expensive?

Nutritionally there is no evidence at all that suggests organic foods outweight processed foods. One prime example given on tv was canned vegetable soups versus allegedly healthy organic soups. The organic soups were lower nutritionally than the canned vegetable soups and tasted better by the tesers - and that was on a tv show here in the UK about eating healthily without breaking the bank.

Whilst I'm sure chemicals aren't good for the body - not everyone can afford organic foods, and there is little if any evidence to support that they are better for us.
NostalgicGirl wrote:
Processed food items will likely to add up some sort of disease/complication. Organic is best, full nutritional value with no added chemicals.
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Most organic foods are likely good for you

BUT

Organic cruciferous veggies can be VERY bad for you. A friend of mine while at MIT did work on relative toxicities of various substances. One of the worst was organic cauliflower.

WHY? Well cruciferous veggies under attack by pests manufacture their own defenses. These are toxic substances that can not be washed off. SO
do NOT buy organic cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage or brussel sprouts. The other things are fine.
krishten001

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I too agree with your opinion. Organic foods are better than the other one.
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 19, 2018 10:43 am      Reply with quote
It depends. Organic cruciferous veggies can be dangerous to eat. They are very efficient in making internal pesticides to fight off bugs. I personally knew the MIT scientist who researched this.

Tender greens are best organic I do not think that there is much difference nutrition wise but pesticide residue can be hard to remove on some foods esp. those with tender skins.

Best to eat as unprocessed foods as possible.
Lizzzie

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Interesting...I read a similar article a while ago so I guess they are on to something.
cowolter

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Just an anecdote here.

I grew up in a third world country where organic food is the default option. When I moved to the US, I understood immediately why US people are fat.

Cheap food in the US is worse for you than cheap food in most other countries. There is a logical reason for this.

This is because the cheapest methods of getting food in third world countries is exactly the stuff that the green movement is trying to instill in the US: locally grown and without chemicals. We don't have Monsanto mass distribution systems or fancy chemicals back at home so that was the default.

The economies of scale in the US makes it more efficient for food to be produced and processed in mass by the same company. While its more efficient economically, we have to decide if we, as a society, want to go towards this "space" style food distribution model or retain our agrarian pride.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Why though? If the evidence suggests (as per the original post) that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods, is there any need to go "natural" really? I mean organic is usually a means to raising the prices and quite significantly here in the UK. So not sure its actually got any real benefit to its.
mickyjose wrote:
Always go natural.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |