Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coconut oil ruined my skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Gattina
5% products discount

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in desperate need of help. I decided to try coconut oil on my face because I heard that it's a "zit-eater" and does great things to your skin. Now, after a couple of days, my skin has broken out. It's really bumpy and reddish and overall looks quite bad. My skin has never been in a condition this bad. I'm depressed and can't even let my fiance look at me.

I tried aspirin mask to no avail. I really need help. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Oh, and I use the OCM (with Castor oil and EVOO), and I'm not sure it works so good on me either. Since I started doing it frequently the blackheads on my nose did disappear, but I started getting more whiteheads on my cheeks. I hate my skin so much right now... I'm getting tired of trying to cover my ugly face with hair.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
What were you using the coconut oil for? Because I use that for the OCM, but I see you use EVOO/Castor blend for that. I've heard with using these oils, that your skin needs to adjust and may be prone to breakouts in the beginning.

Maybe some lavendar oil blended with some HA serum to help calm down the irritation or even with some emu oil may help.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Shock Coconut Oil is way too heavy for the face, I only ever use it on my feet, elbows or for cracked skin on my hands!!

The OCM did not work for me, I prefer the homemade version of Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream.
If you are looking for an oil to use on your face I would recomend Jojoba Oil and to use Lavender or Tea Tree essential Oils to treat your skin.

5% products discount

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
I used it as my nightly moisturizer.

A thread in The Long Hair Community forums was my inspiration, but I can't post the link because linking to external websites is unavailable to new members.

Nothing ever works for me. It seems that I will never have great skin.
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut oil is very rich and usually much to heavy for most people's face. I only use coconut oil or the virgin creme on my hands and body. It also makes for a great massage oil. If I were you I would give my skin a break and stay away from any additional products at this time as you've most likely aggravated your face which has caused the irritations and acne. If you are desperate to wash your face then I would suggest a mild cleansing milk like Dr Hauschka's. For the future if you want a good facial oil you might want to consider oils like Rosehip, Jojoba, Apricot, Hazelnut, etc which are better for facial skin care, and stay away from the heavier ones like coconut, avocado, etc. Good luck. Hope this clears up quickly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
Okay that may be the problem, coconut oil is very heavy and to be honest, I'd never leave it on my face, I just use it to cleanse my face and wash it off. If anything use something lighter like jojoba oil or even emu oil.

right now I know your skin must be irritated and may take a little time to calm down. Try the emu as it's suppose to soothe with inflammation and any irritation mixed with definitely some Lavendar EO.

I second the rosehip oil, it's lovely and penetrates so nicely into skin and it's quite light. I use it as an eye moisturizer daily.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
When I got ringworm, I tried putting coconut oil on it after hearing that it got some anti-microbial property. It caused my skin to have little red bumps immediately, so I washed it off right away and applied steroidal cream that my doctor prescribed on it. Now I only use it for my hair.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:12 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Okay that may be the problem, coconut oil is very heavy and to be honest, I'd never leave it on my face, I just use it to cleanse my face and wash it off. If anything use something lighter like jojoba oil or even emu oil.

right now I know your skin must be irritated and may take a little time to calm down. Try the emu as it's suppose to soothe with inflammation and any irritation mixed with definitely some Lavendar EO.

I second the rosehip oil, it's lovely and penetrates so nicely into skin and it's quite light. I use it as an eye moisturizer daily.

I wonder if squalane or argan oil would not be good for this.
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Gattina wrote:
I'm in desperate need of help. I decided to try coconut oil on my face because I heard that it's a "zit-eater" and does great things to your skin. Now, after a couple of days, my skin has broken out. It's really bumpy and reddish and overall looks quite bad. My skin has never been in a condition this bad. I'm depressed and can't even let my fiance look at me.

I tried aspirin mask to no avail. I really need help. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Oh, and I use the OCM (with Castor oil and EVOO), and I'm not sure it works so good on me either. Since I started doing it frequently the blackheads on my nose did disappear, but I started getting more whiteheads on my cheeks. I hate my skin so much right now... I'm getting tired of trying to cover my ugly face with hair.

Hi Gattina,
ai'm sorry about your dilemma, you sound so distraught. How would you describe your skin condition "normally" (ie. on your better days)?
Are you using any topical Rx product(s)?
I tried OCM a while ago since I'd read such fantastic reviews about it, and it simply did not agree with my skin.
Really the best advice I can give you now is to try as hard as possible to use almost nothing on your skin and avoid touching it. I know this can be hard when your skin is acting out/erupting and you're trying desperately to "fix" it or control the problem...
Maybe avoid using oils on the skin (as moisturizer) for a while and perhaps treating irritations with a Zinc product (avene cicalfate LOTION or cream helped me personally--but the lotion is hard to find-i can send you a link if you're interested)
Let me know how it goes, I really hope it gets better soon!
take care!
-joanne
COMPTON
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
After reading your post i'm kinda worried about EATING coconut ice cream that is in my freezer.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
COMPTON wrote:
After reading your post i'm kinda worried about EATING coconut ice cream that is in my freezer.

rofl rofl

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Diluted tea tree oil is fantastic for spot treatments.

I LOVE COCONUT ICE CREAMS, TOO!!! Drool
Gattina
5% products discount

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:34 am      Reply with quote
I feel like I'm an idiot for trying coconut oil on my face now. I did do some research before I tried it but obviously not enough. But it has worked for so many people (that thread in LHC I mentioned), so I thought that it wouldn't do any harm to try. Well, I was as wrong as I could be.

Now I'm just going to let my face rest for a couple of days and then evaluate the situation again.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:37 am      Reply with quote
Gattina wrote:
I feel like I'm an idiot for trying coconut oil on my face now. I did do some research before I tried it but obviously not enough. But it has worked for so many people (that thread in LHC I mentioned), so I thought that it wouldn't do any harm to try. Well, I was as wrong as I could be.

Now I'm just going to let my face rest for a couple of days and then evaluate the situation again.

Hi Gattina. It's okay. I make this kind of mistake all the time. No need to feel like an idiot! Wink Hopefully your skin will get better within a few days. Try not to stress out so much. Smile
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
If you can, personally I'd go for a professional facial with lots of extraction! And then have a v simple routine after and introduce things in gradually. Though not coconut oil!

Wildflower, I know you are the expert on oils. I've read that rosehip oil shouldn't be used if one is prone to blocked pores, is that right?
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
Wildflower, I know you are the expert on oils. I've read that rosehip oil shouldn't be used if one is prone to blocked pores, is that right?

i know i'm not wildflower, but from personal experience (and those of friends) -- yes! and it's driving me mad because it's been recommended several times for people with acne issues.
zumlya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Gattina wrote:
I'm in desperate need of help. I decided to try coconut oil on my face because I heard that it's a "zit-eater" and does great things to your skin.

Coconut oil aggrivates my acne,too. I was hurting so bad. Sad
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. I slathered Best Bath Store acne gel all over the aggrivated areas after my fiasco. It works well to calm the acne. Although, it didn't make them ALL go away.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
daisylondon wrote:

i know i'm not wildflower, but from personal experience (and those of friends) -- yes! and it's driving me mad because it's been recommended several times for people with acne issues.

If not rosehip then what can one use as a moisturizer that won't make you breakout?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
If not rosehip then what can one use as a moisturizer that won't make you breakout?

If it is any help at all, Page 1 of this EDS thread bears some reading: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21032&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I am afraid Page 2 somehow morphed into a discussion about SKB!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:36 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:

i am not saying rosehip oil *will* break you out (everybody is different after all) simply that it is generally not recommended for oily or acne prone skin. it's typically used for more mature skin (lucky me -- i have both) and is an absolutely lovely oil, absorbs fast, etc. (i'm actually using it on my elbow scar right now since i don't want it to go to waste.) i'm simply saying this would not be an oil i'd recommend to soothe a face full of breakouts.

as to what will work as moisturiser, there are numerous threads on this subject as you know. everyone's got to ind their own by trial ansd error -- there is no "one size fits all" for any skin type. jojoba as a carrier oil seems to be tolerated by pretty much everyone. i've recently discovered and fallen in love with hazlenut oil as a carrier for my somewhat dehydrated skin, but that doesn't mean it will work everybody. i'm also really loving Weleda Rose Oil capsules. but again, what works for me doesn't necessarily mean it will for you or every person with acne prone skin.

as to the thread nyonyakay has pointed out referring to macadamia oil, i admit i'm intrigued. and i *love* the fact that if it doesn't work, i can always use it for cooking Laughing
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:54 am      Reply with quote
Rosehip oil breaks me out. If it's diluted, then I'm fine.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:26 am      Reply with quote
I agree with la vie en rose. Rosehip oil on the face is more for people with dry skin, and even then usually only in the winter. Jojoba and emu oils are good to use on the face for people prone to acne and oily skin. If I were you, I would use the smallest amount (maybe even nothing if you can get away with it) and give my skin a break for a while.

la vie en rose wrote:

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:06 am      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
If you can, personally I'd go for a professional facial with lots of extraction! And then have a v simple routine after and introduce things in gradually. Though not coconut oil!

It all really depends on why your pores are blocked. Is it just oil buildup, is your skin not being exfoliated regularly, are you just congested, is your skin just tight and needs a good steam to get the pores open to release some dirt and bacteria? You have to figure out the culprit first. I used rosehip oil when I had hormonal acne and it worked wonders! I've also seen others with acneic skin use it with great results. You may want to try it in smaller percentages mixed in with Jojoba oil first. For example one part Rosehip and 2 parts Jojoba. And make sure that you look into the reasons why your pores are clogged. Drink lots of water and follow a balanced diet too.

5% products discount

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
My skin has improved already. I've just kept my skincare as simple as possible for a couple of days, and now the bumps are gone. I still have some discolouration left and my skin feels really dry, even though I have moisturized very carefully and avoided drying products. But I'd rather have dry skin than acne! Smile
wkw1203
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Does the oil clog the pores?
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |