Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

softest bottled water
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls and guys,

This is a bit of a weird question but hear me out.
I have the most sensitive, dry skin that can absolutely not deal with hard water. Ever since I moved to a soft water area my skin is soft and completely clear. However, every time I travel into areas with harder water, my skin becomes bumpy, red, and dry again. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with different brands of bottled water and can let me know which one is the softest. I know distilled water is best because of the lower mineral content but any additional information would be great. Just throwing it out there. Anyone?
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Do you find that you hair hates hard water too? Like being unmanageable, flat and dull?

Have you considered getting a shower filter? Those work wonders for getting rid of hard water and they aren't that expensive. You can usually find them at Home Depot or online. The downfall is you have to replace them or the cartridge every 6 months or so. I found that Sprite makes a great filter showerhead that makes my skin feel amazingly soft and no more red itchy bumps.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Yes! My hair was awful where I used to live before.. but DESPITE using an aqua sana water filter. It might have been just that type of filter, though. Maybe it didn't filter out enough of the minerals. The water definitely still smelled like chlorine (the WORST for my skin).
Maybe once I move again I'll give Sprite a try.

For traveling, though, I think the bottled water solution is the only one that'll make sense. Have you ever tried washing your hair/face with bottled water? I just read an article about a woman switching to bottled water and noticing the biggest hair improvement.
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 am      Reply with quote
I haven't tried it bc my hair is pretty long...would think it would take a lot of bottles to rinse out....how does that work for you with rinsing out shampoo and conditioner? I always wondered though, how does it feel washing your hair with bottled water? big difference?
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Here's the article I mentioned:

http://www.xojane.com/beauty/i-started-washing-my-hair-with-bottled-water-and-now-it-looks-like-a-million-bucks

I never rinsed my hair with bottled water but
the woman in the article shampoos and conditions under the shower as usual and only rinses her hair with bottled water in the very last step. So that seems a lot more manageable than doing the whole process with bottled water.

Now that I live in an area with soft water my hair is completely different. No dandruff, no grease, no stickiness. It just feels like clean, fluffy hair. It's pretty amazing.
Maybe next time I travel I'll try out rinsing with bottled water.
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Thant's a very interesting article Penta! thanks for sharing....I'd like to try the final rinse with bottle water but I'm afraid I'd get hooked on it and wouldn't be able to go a day or place without it! I read other reviews on the aqua sana filter and people said it didn't do much for them bc it doesn't filter out the minerals.....I already wasted money on a sprite filter...it made my hair so soft, it wouldn't do anything. There's something I don't understand tho, why some people who used hard water have amazing hair and aren't affected at all by the minerals. My friends think I'm crazy, they all have gorgeous hard water locks! LOL. Have you tried Malibu C Hard water shampoo? I heard some good things about that. Maybe I'll try that along with the bottled water thing and see what happens
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I was wondering about that, too! For me, my skin is really more of an issue (I can always put my hair up in a bun but my skin gets soooo dry and rashy, it's awful) but I have noticed that some of my friends seem to be completely immune to hard water and chlorine. Their skin and hair stay nice and soft. Not me, though! I have no idea why.

Did the Sprite filter make your water softer, i.e. did soap take a longer time to rinse off?

I'm due for a trip in August and I'm already dreading the hard water rash I inevitably get on my face Sad I'm going to try out some different bottled water brands and see which one my skin feels best with.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:03 am      Reply with quote
one of my friends has this water filter for her whole house that gets rid of all the minerals and impurities in water.

I think it costs a couple thousand dollars, but she needs it for some medical treatment she has to do at home- so the province/gov't paid for that.
She lives in Quebec.

All I know is she had to go through her hospital to have some technician there install that.
But that is supposed to be some specialized thing.
I have no idea what her filter system looks like as she lives quite far from me.

I also saw this shampoo and conditioner Area H2O where there is one kind for hard water and one for soft water.
It was 2 for 1 ar feel unique a couple weeks ago and might still be on sale...

I'm not sure what water I have but it smells extremely like chlorine and I can't drink it without a Brita filter or it just tastes bad to me.
Metallicblue
5% products discount

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Anyone?

Are you still on the forum Penta? This is such an old thread but it was cool to find as I have the same problem! I ended up doing a lot of research on bottled waters, I wanted an ultra low mineral water which was also on the acidic side for my skin (around pH5.) I'm in the U.K but my go to water at the moment is Lauretana which is ultra low mineral and pH 6. I add 1-2 drops of apple cider vinegar or lactic acid to my glass spray bottle, top up with about 500ml of this water and that gives me the pH 5 range water I wash my face and rinse my hair with to great effect. I refill it once per week.
The other option is to distill your own, you can buy a home distiller for a very reasonable cost. Distilled water is mineral free. I just pack a few large bottles in my suitcase when I go abroad but, if I were to go away for longer, I'd just research what ultra low mineral waters were available in said country and add a few drops of vinegar to my spray bottle. You need hardly any, literally 1-2 drops for most waters per 500ml so taking a teeny dropper bottle on holiday with you isn't a big deal.
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, I've got experience with this topic. I washed my face and neck with bottled Poland spring water for half a year or more. Yes, there was skin improvement, it seems to calm
skin and moisten it more.

The downside was money and how annoying it was to wash off cleanser and makeup using bottles and then quickly I started using liter bottles cause I wasn't getting enough water out of the 16oz bottles to cleanse my face but then it was just messy and I kept running out of water quickly, became quite expensive, eventually my skin became comfortable and normal again probably because of the water and this cleanser I was using (I used the water due to skin issues) and so I went back to faucet water. I used boiled water at some point but quickly realized it wasn't good to my skin like the Poland Spring.

Poland Spring is the best water I've found. It is natural spring water whereas mineral water is actually bad for you.
Metallicblue
5% products discount

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:20 am      Reply with quote
Aren't we a bunch of divas washing our face with bottled water! Laughing It may seem crazy to some but I think water quality is SUCH an overlooked element when it comes to skin care. Some tap waters are utterly dreadful for the skin and hair. It tends to be faaar too alkaline (water companies make it so in order to avoid it degrading pipework systems) and full of minerals which can be tough on skin and film forming. Not to forget the toxins, chlorine, fluoride and god knows what else the government slips in there. I hope the original poster sees our replies, though I imagine they have found a solution by now!

Poland Spring is pH 5 and very soft mineral-wise I believe so I'm not surprised your skin loved it! My only complaint with it is that it is in plastic bottles, I prefer glass for piece of mind as you never know what may leach out of plastic. Boiling water doesn't change the pH or mineral content or turn it into distilled water despite the common belief. Distilled water is basically ordinary tap water boiled into steam which is collected, thusly leaving the minerals in the distiller.

I find a spray bottle an excellent way to wash your face with your own water. I tried various lab style eye wash bottles but nothing worked as well as the sprayer. I now mist my face, work in the cleanser, wipe it off with cotton pads and then put my face over the sink and spray it liberally with one hand and stroke off the cleanser with the other until completely clean.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't alkaline water be the best? It is best internally, a PH of 9-10.

5% products discount

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:

Definitely not. The acid mantle of the skin would be disrupted causing irritation, stripping and consequently the potential for dry skin/seb derm/eczema etc. The pH of the skin is between 4.9 -5.5 or thereabouts. This is the reason why high pH soaps and cleansers are so utterly harsh on the skin and should be avoided at all costs. One of the worst things you can do to your skin is rub it with baking soda to exfoliate (highly alkaline.) The ethos of only using acidic pH products close to the natural pH of skin is the backbone of the Japanese/Asian skincare regime.

Alkaline is best for consumption (although I am not at all sold on the extremely alkaline "Kangan water" of pH 9/10. I think water of pH 7.2 - 8ish is the safest to aim for for drinking.) However, for topical application we should always aim for 5.5 and below wherever possible, especially so when it comes to cleansing Smile
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Metallicblue wrote:
bugaboo wrote:

Definitely not. The acid mantle of the skin would be disrupted causing irritation, stripping and consequently the potential for dry skin/seb derm/eczema etc. The pH of the skin is between 4.9 -5.5 or thereabouts. This is the reason why high pH soaps and cleansers are so utterly harsh on the skin and should be avoided at all costs. One of the worst things you can do to your skin is rub it with baking soda to exfoliate (highly alkaline.) The ethos of only using acidic pH products close to the natural pH of skin is the backbone of the Japanese/Asian skincare regime.

Alkaline is best for consumption (although I am not at all sold on the extremely alkaline "Kangan water" of pH 9/10. I think water of pH 7.2 - 8ish is the safest to aim for for drinking.) However, for topical application we should always aim for 5.5 and below wherever possible, especially so when it comes to cleansing Smile

I was sold on the "10" water but after drinking only that for several years I have developed low stomach acid and the side effects that it comes with low stomach acid. I believe that it was the water that did this. Deficient in vitamins and minerals now.

5% products discount

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
Metallicblue wrote:
bugaboo wrote:

I was sold on the "10" water but after drinking only that for several years I have developed low stomach acid and the side effects that it comes with low stomach acid. I believe that it was the water that did this. Deficient in vitamins and minerals now.

I'm really sorry to hear that! Crying or Very sad I am a believer in eating an alkaline diet but the Kangan machines are very dangerous and were, ultimately, a scam from some very unscrupulous/ill informed people. Not only does drinking pH 10 water wreak havoc on your system long term but the machines themselves use metal plates which can impart dangerous minerals and toxins into the water. Many people got very sick indeed from drinking pH 10 water.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |