Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Orange Peel-ish Skin Texture On Face
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone, first post

I'd like some more opinions on a problem I've been having that's been bothering me so much!

I'm male, 24, and about 4 or 5 months ago, noticed that some areas on my face took on a sort of orange peel texture on parts of my face, but mostly on the area on both sides of my nose, kind of near my cheeks I guess. Basically the area where I have rosacea.

I think it may actually be sun damage, as we got back from Europe last year in August, and I spent a LOT of time outside, with no sunscreen. And it was in the countryside, although strangely I didn't really get sunburned.

So after I noticed this texture problem I started actually taking care of my facial skin. Before, I used to scrub my face clear with a regular bar of soap (like Dial or something, not made for the face), and that was my entire facial routine. Now I changed that, but was wondering if I should do a chemical peel (a very light one, since I've never done it before) to fix my texture problems. If I make a face by bunching up my cheek, I can see a lot of pores along the sides of my nose and the rosacea areas. It really looks more like it's on the surface of the skin, not like wrinkles or anything. It looks almost perfect in the right light, otherwise it seems to look much worse (I'm probably the only one that ever noticed though).

I apply a ton of coconut oil (EVCO) to my face before I take a shower, at least 20-30 minutes before, then wash my face with a moisturizing bar (Aveeno).

I have some good photos of the areas I'm concerned about but I can't post them because I'm a new member, can I show them to a mod for approval or something? My post isn't complete without it, it's hard to explain it accurately.

Thanks for any help!
havana8

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Here are the image links referenced in johndoe1125's post above:

Right side of nose:

Left side of nose:

Welcome to the forum. wave
SJAY
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Your skin looks like typical skin up close and personal. I don't know what you compare your skin to, but I don't see anything problematic. We are often our own worst critics. Wear sunscreen when outside, and stop scrutinizing! Beyond that, I have no suggestions because I don't see anything that needs to be fixed.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Havana8..

I think I may have to agree with Sjay. No one is able to look at their own skin that closely (and thank god for that) but I think some of us are influenced by things like the illusion of perfection in actors (that wear tons of make up or laser their skin into a smooth submission)...but skin is skin. Not plastic.
You're young and your skin is still producing healthy amounts of collagen.
There's probably no doubt you damaged your skin a little with unprotected sun exposure and washing your face with soap.

You're a guy and I don't know how much effort you want to put into skin care. Guys I know refuse even sun screen and end up with skin like leather... which negates the whole men age slower because their skin is thicker discussion. Maybe you'd rather not do that.

I'd just advise never washing your face with soap...it screws up the PH and the skin barrier.
Also maybe try a C serum (I'm a big fan) and exfoliate regularly. You can keep it simple by just using those exfoliating cloths...or something like that.I don't think you should get too aggressive at this stage of your life..
And always use sunscreen.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Well alright, thanks a lot, it's encouraging to hear that it seems to be normal, it's just that in the wrong light it looks...shiny? I guess? Anyway I'll try what you suggested (I actually try to make my own stuff, for example I mix in MSM powder with coconut oil and store it and use that on my face). I'm a big fan of MSM, also taking a lot internally for general health. Also I recently started supplementing with gelatin which has some very interesting benefits for skin health (and general health).

Thanks again! I'll report back with any changes!
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
EDIT:

By the way, tigerlily, if you don't mind, how exactly would one use a vitamin C serum? I'm planning to make my own once I buy the vitamin C powder, most recipes I see call for around 1 teaspoon of distilled water to 1 teaspoon of vitamin C powder, but doesn't that seem like a lot?

It says to let it soak in at night and then apply your usual moisturizer, so you aren't supposed to wash it off or anything?

Thanks
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
johndoe1125 wrote:
EDIT:

By the way, tigerlily, if you don't mind, how exactly would one use a vitamin C serum? I'm planning to make my own once I buy the vitamin C powder, most recipes I see call for around 1 teaspoon of distilled water to 1 teaspoon of vitamin C powder, but doesn't that seem like a lot?

It says to let it soak in at night and then apply your usual moisturizer, so you aren't supposed to wash it off or anything?

Thanks

Wow, where did you get that recipe? You better not do that; it might irritate the crap out of your skin.
You can simply use just c powder and distilled water and the simplest way is how I started out... but the ratio's would run more like this:

10% serum: 1 tsp. vitamin C powder + 9 tsp. distilled water
15% serum: 1.5 tsp. vitamin C powder + 8.5 tsp. distilled water
20% serum: 2 tsp. vitamin C powder + 8 tsp. distilled water.

The problem with this though is that L-ascorbic acid (the best form of vit c to use topically) is highly unstable and will oxidize fairly quickly (it may last a few of weeks in the fridge). But when it's paired with Vitamin E and ferulic acid it not only helps stabilize the serum..it actually makes it work better. And then when you add those ingredients you have to yet again add a few more ingredients because they are not water soluble like Vit c is..
But that's the nature of the beast.

If you go to the top of this forum you will find a sticky thread...http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902
and the first thing mentioned in the topic line is a recipe index.
If you scroll down to the list of serums you will find several fairly simple vitamin c recipes.

Or if all that's too much for you you could buy one like Timeless Vitamin C serum. It's a pretty good one for about $25.
Or you could check out reviews for C serums on someplace like Amazon or anywhere that has reviews on products. There's probably more c serums out there now than stars in the sky.
But I think DIY is better stuff.
SweetCreamRabbit
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
I wish my skin looked that clear! I definitely have orange peel like texture from years of acne but that's heaps worse than yours!
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
@tigerlily; Yeah, I was just doing some more reading and I sure am glad I didn't try the 50-50 mixture! Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely be starting out low.

@SweetCream; Thanks a lot Smile I think it's really just lighting, and like I said, I think I'm the only one who will ever notice this, same for lots of people that scrutinize their skin too much, even my doctor doesn't think it's anything. However, I am a bit skinny, but do eat a more or less Paleo diet, so I'm always trying to eat properly and enough to make sure I don't lose too much weight in my face.

Also I recently got into facial exercises which are actually quite fun, and I assume good at least for preventative maintenance. It's just something to do, not really necessary.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:49 am      Reply with quote
johndoe1125 wrote:
@tigerlily; Yeah, I was just doing some more reading and I sure am glad I didn't try the 50-50 mixture! Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely be starting out low.

@SweetCream; Thanks a lot Smile I think it's really just lighting, and like I said, I think I'm the only one who will ever notice this, same for lots of people that scrutinize their skin too much, even my doctor doesn't think it's anything. However, I am a bit skinny, but do eat a more or less Paleo diet, so I'm always trying to eat properly and enough to make sure I don't lose too much weight in my face.

Also I recently got into facial exercises which are actually quite fun, and I assume good at least for preventative maintenance. It's just something to do, not really necessary.

Oh also, my post was too old to edit, I was wondering, is it possible to apply too much coconut oil to my face? The way I see it is that my skin will absorb whatever it can/whatever it needs, and the rest will simply remain on the surface to be washed away. I was wondering because, as I mentioned, I put a LOT of coconut oil all over my face around an hour before I shower, so the mess isn't a problem as I wash it off during the shower.

I read that these natural types of oils don't even clog pores like some over the counter concoctions.

Any thoughts?
Camouflage
5% products discount

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:48 am      Reply with quote
I agree with fellow users that your skin doesn't look as bad as you think. If you're concerned about the texture in your T-zone, you may try using a daily exfoliant at a low concentration (probably AHA, but this is pretty much trial and error). I wouldn't use coconut oil as it's potentially pore-clogging so it tends to be problematic for acne-prone skin. The possibility of a product being comedogenic doesn't have to do with it being natural or synthetic.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Camouflage wrote:
I agree with fellow users that your skin doesn't look as bad as you think. If you're concerned about the texture in your T-zone, you may try using a daily exfoliant at a low concentration (probably AHA, but this is pretty much trial and error). I wouldn't use coconut oil as it's potentially pore-clogging so it tends to be problematic for acne-prone skin. The possibility of a product being comedogenic doesn't have to do with it being natural or synthetic.

Yeah I was considering a really low strength chemical peel like you say (since I've never done it before) and want to remain on the safe side, I think I'll get on that now, thanks!
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:43 am      Reply with quote
^ EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have some pretty visible pores on the area under my eye and next to my nose, in the area where I took those pictures, which are really obvious if I scrunch up my face, I think these are also contributing to the texture.

I'm looking into some non-harsh natural treatments for that, probably going to try Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in distilled water.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!
BrokenPorEcelain
5% products discount

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, I'm sorry, but I disagree that this is typical skin.
I have the same thing going on right now and I am female..it is beyond devasting to me as I was able to look in a magnifying mirror just two months ago and see no issue..my skin was like porcelain, has been for years..hence my name...
I used tazorac twice said 2 months ago and my skin has been an absolute wreck ever since..orange peel texture along with many other symptoms..shallow dents forming out of nowhere too.
When did you notice this?
Is it anywhere else on your face?

Maybe the harsh soap caused it..as the harsh chemical caused mine..unfortunately 99% of the posts I find on the Internet about this are dead ends..hopeless..I must have been through 500 by now..and I've only see TWO out of that 500 posters from various sites say that their skin healed..and that was after nearly 2 years!!
Idk what this texture is but it's maddening..it's unacceptable and I will NEVER accept it as MY typical of MY normal because it's just not.
And if you weren't born with your skin then I expect you must feel the same way..

Personally I am sick over what's happening and I'm not going to make it if it doesn't return to normal.
johndoe1125
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Porcelain, sorry to hear that!

But to be honest, I don't remember how my skin was before, I never paid any attention to it.

But when I see old photos of myself (even when I was as young as maybe 10 or 12), I still had tear troughs/circles under my eyes, so I guess that's ok.

I think my problem is partly because I'm quite skinny, I'm trying to gain a bit of weight, along with doing facial exercises (Facerobics). Also, just yeterday I noticed my hooded eyelid improved from facial exercises! It has to be from that, because I never apply oil to my eyelids, because it would probably just end up in my eye.

Also I'm pretty sure all the coffee I drink has something to do with it.
mahatrans
5% products discount

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I have never looked at my skin so closely. But isn't such a texture normal for everyone?
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
If your skin wasn't like that before then it could be from dehydration (too much coffee/alcohol) or hormonal changes.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:49 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |