Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Biosil Negative Side Effects
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Donna83

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
I posted this on Amazon but it seems that a large amount of their reviews are made up by the company. They have also been trying to bury my review by giving it "unhelpful" ratings.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT... I took one course of these and after coming off them my face looks different.

Six months after stopping taking 1 bottle of these and I look about 5 years older than I should.

The difference in photos from now and a year ago is huge. I have lost my "apples" from my cheeks and there is a lot of fat/volume loss underneath the eyes and they look hollow. The natural lovely shape of my cheeks is gone and I doubt they will ever return to normal as it has already been six months.

I wish I had never taken these capsules.

I look one 2 month course at the end of 2012. The bottle was empty by the end of January 2013, and then over the next few months the following incredibly distressing things happened:

- I developed dark grooves underneath my eyes in February very suddenly almost instantly after stopping them.

-Then by May all of my cheeks totally disappeared and I had a very flat weak skin. I remember catching my reflection in windows and noticing how flat and shapeless my face looked. I had a massive nervous breakdown.

- I now have very thin loose skin under my eyes, which I didnt have before. I assume it is because this product swelled my skin and then deflated when I went off them. I think this is permanent because the skin under your eyes is very delicate.

I contacted the company and they totally deflected and discounted my questions. Obviously they dont want to get sued, so they just avoided contact with me after telling me that it was probably new make up or shampoo.

If anyone else has had problems like I have please contact me, because it seems the company is very good at protecting their online image, and I would think that a lot of their reviews are made up. I have tons of photo evidence.

I am coming to the realisation that the change in my looks may be permanent as it is almost August and I still look very different to how I used to

Again, the difference in photos of volume on my face from now and a year ago is huge and it is outrageous that this product has so much good publicity.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi Donna--I have used Biosil off and on (starting/stopping) for over 10 years and never had the problems you state you have. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

You don't say how old you are. That could have something to do with what has happened to you. If you are in your late '40's (did you graduate from high school in 1983?), then things can change distressingly quickly due to the ramping down of hormones. Frequently women in this age bracket begin experimenting with anti-aging supplements, topical products, etc., and it's easy to come to the conclusion that stopping this or that caused all the problems, when in reality we just noticed the problems more because we're paying more attention to them now. Even if you're in your 30's things can get wonky due to the hormone fluctuations of perimenopause.

You also don't say anything about any other supplements you're taking. If you're taking things like non-heme iron, or if you took Biosil without taking any of the other things your skin needs to thrive (vitamin C, etc.) that could have some effect on your skin, too, when you stopped the Biosil.

Not saying this supplement didn't cause your problems, but it *is* unlikely that withdrawing from a single two-month course of silica would cause all these problems. I'm just throwing some alternative explanations out there. This supplement has had a good track record for a long time, although if it's been sold again and another company is making it now, it could have changed. That's happened before. But I certainly hope not, because I'm currently taking it!

Anyway, some more information about the state of your health, your hydration (how much water do you drink per day), other supplements you take, etc., topical products you're using, would be helpful if you want honest, helpful feedback on what's happened to you.

If you're just here to make a scare post, though, I guess you did that. If that's the case then thanks for the drive-by. Wink

I hope you're not just a drive-by, however...I take this supplement and am honestly interested in hearing more about this.
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have never taken the capsules, but I have been taking the drops. I occasionally stop because I run out or forget, but I never noticed a difference in my skin. I take it to help with shedding hair, but it is supposed to be good for skin and bones as well. Maybe you should try taking them again just to see if your skin improves? This might at least confirm your suspicions. If you are close to menopause, it can sometimes be shocking to wake up one morning and look much older. It seemed to happen to me that way.
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm very familiar with Biosil, having taken it myself and I have a number of friends that take it. In fact, I've seen one friend actually lose a lot of her fine lines over time as she's used it. She's in her mid 40's. Her skin looks great.

A silica supplement wouldn't cause those skin issues. Rapid skin deterioration like that is highly likely to be hormone related. It sounds like you may have experienced a sudden drop in hormones. Lack of hormones can cause a huge drop in collagen synthesis and skin repair, as well as moisture holding ability, which would all lead to slack, saggy skin and loss of volume.
lucyluc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
i have taken it for yrs and i think it helps my skin I dont have many wrinkles for being 60
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't have any issues when I took it, nor when I stopped.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I've seen the OP post somewhere else about a month ago... Weird.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:05 am      Reply with quote
Donna83, silica is a component that has benefits on connective tissue in the body of which collagen is one and so is elastin, IIRC. Silica is needed for the maintenance and formation of these tissues and as we age, we slowly lose them so methinks that your supplementation was actually helping you maintain good elasticity and tone in your skin as days went by and you aged. And when you stopped, you suffered a deficiency that made to the glue that holds your skin together deteriorate so that things went south, eg you started to lose elasticity in your skin etc.

I think this would have happened with any silica product, not just Biosil. I don't know how old you are but there are many articles and studies that show that silica is beneficial and necessary for healthy skin, hair, nails, bones, etc.

I think you would witness the same thing if you started to provide your body with a nutrient it needed and then stopped. Silica has even been shown to improve damaged skin (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16205932).

I have used Biosil drops in the past too and like flipper I don't always remember to get it unless I spot it while browsing the aisles at the Vitamin Shoppe. I really don't recall having any issues taking it or when I stop because I'm out or not visiting a store with it for months.

This is an interesting article about Silicon: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2003/apr2003_report_silicon_01.htm
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:19 am      Reply with quote
fitgineer wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen the OP post somewhere else about a month ago... Weird.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=48685&highlight=biosil

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Yes, it rang a bell for me too! Thanks for pulling that up Immacolata!
I may have try Biosil or a silica and add it to my supplements. It sounds like it may help some of my post-meno issues.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Annie, SO not the reaction they were hoping for, I'm sure! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks, fit and Imma, for bringing this to our attention.

I'm so tired of crap like this on the internet. People playing games, manipulating forums. I wonder if these people are plants by Biosil competitors or what?
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
Annie, SO not the reaction they were hoping for, I'm sure! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks, fit and Imma, for bringing this to our attention.

I'm so tired of crap like this on the internet. People playing games, manipulating forums. I wonder if these people are plants by Biosil competitors or what?

Either plants or people with issues. The Skin Bio thread comes to mind...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Ordered some silica today, going to give it a try!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I use the drops. You're supposed to use 5 drops twice a day, but I always forget the second dose! So I've started just adding 8 drops to my morning smoothie, then use another 4 in the evening if I remember.

My skin looks better - I think it's due to more than just silica, but hell, a girl's got to have a lot of weapons in her arsenal! Smile

My fingernails are MUCH better than they were. They're still short because I keep cutting them back but they grow much faster and don't split and peel like they were doing, unless I abuse them. And I usually abuse them...Sad

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
Why would I spend the time writing such a detailed recount if I wasn't totally perplexed by what has happened to me?

First of all, I am in my TWENTIES. I realize now that this product is for 35 plus peoples... I really should not have taken this product as I am way to young to even need it.

But I was at Whole foods, and was in the vitamin section and being in the entertainment industry and all, am, SOMEWHAT concerned about my looks... and I was in the aisle, and the dumb < mod snip > said "oh this is a really nice product".

This is what I have concluded:

This product was WAY TOO STRONG for someone of my age, and the product had no warnings or age limit printed on it. I was so dumb to buy this product.

Like I have said before. I think it swelled up the skin on my face and as a result of not taking the product anymore, it has left me with a dishevelled version of what I once had. Like when you blow up a balloon, and let it out, it is not going to look like what it once looked like before.

My friend said that it can take 5-8 months for something to leave the body.

All I can conclude is that maybe it has stretched the very bottom layer- the layer of skin that when is tattooed, stays tattooed - ie this product streched out that layer and now I have a less perky version of my beautiful 20 year old face.

I also wonder whether the product has messed up my natural ability to produce collagen.

I posted this entry as I was hoping someone else can shed some light on what Biosil actually does to the cells.

Like I said before the difference in photos from a year ago is huge. I even went to a dermatologist who said, and I quote "It is so much" in terms of difference in facial volume from now and a year ago.

I really wish I had never encountered this product. I hate looking in the mirror and having a different face look back at me.
fitgineer
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Donna,
Have you had a hormone panel done? Checked your adrenal glands? Thyroid? Liver? Done allergy tests? They can all impact your face.

I too dealt with a significant volume loss over the period of a year, from the age of 27 to 28, but I am learning to deal with it. I too took Biosil during that time for a few months, but it was after I started noticing the volume loss. It didn't help, but it didn't make things worse either.

After a significant bout of blood tests that showed nothing wrong, I concluded it was due to stress. As I started working through my severe depression, the face in the mirror started looking better too. I don't think the change was physical, as much as it was psychological. Yes, I still have self image issues, but I'm not letting them ruin my day anymore Smile
I also think my face has moved (a little fast, true) from the baby face I used to have, to a more mature one.

Keep your head up, and don't just consult a dermatologist... That's one doctor I have yet to see, since I knew from the start that the issue was much deeper than skin. Also, you can search lipoatrophy of the face for more info. Real Self has a couple of examples.

Best of luck!

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Donna, I took biosil about 12 months ago and it did negatively affect my face as well. I lost a lot of the fat underneath my eyes, and now the skin under my eyes has become very thin and dark. I do not know what to do as dealing with sunken eyes is something that is irreversible.
Curios reviewer

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 am      Reply with quote
I couldn't find a recent post as to the reason/s Donna83 may have had a severe reaction. I am not a current user of Biosil (deciding) - Then I read the one post & wanted to know if Donna83, had her thyroids checked. Whether or not the product caused a reaction I can't say. But I've had too siblings with thyroid issues. They had no clue. One looked like a skelton when it occurred and like over night and the other gained water weight but looked sickly. I'm only posting, because most people over look this important - dangerous issue.
daxer16

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi there
I too had side effects..
I went through 2 large bottles of Biosil and then started noticing my eyes looked really weird. My hair and nails were great, quite a bit stronger, but my eyes had changed.. sunken and the skin underneath had lost elasticity. I stopped about 3 weeks ago and my old face is coming back! theres definitely something in this formula that has a negative result on some folks around the eyes. not sure why it would do this but Im def not taking it anymore.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
Seems a bit suspicious to me that the negative reviews here are all from people with brand new profiles. What is the point? No one will pay attention anyway. Sounds mean spirited.

Sat May 20, 2017 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
I took Biosil for awhile and noticed it seemed to mess with my hormones or some body chemistry. So I stopped taking it. Recently, though, a friend said she takes it, and it helps with her hair texture (she looks her age at 49, so it's not miraculously making her look younger altho' she looks great). So I Google'd it to see what others say.

It might be that choline disrupts some chemistry like estrogen, progesterone, or testosterone. Supposedly estrogen stimulates the breakdown of choline (a cursory reading on the Internet brought that up).
It might be better and cheaper to simply take silica or horsetail supplements. Or eat lots of cucumbers, etc.
So don't put down these posters. I know when I was having periods that BioSil seemed to change things. So I can imagine that there's a connection for some people. Don't shoot the messenger.
havana8

Sun May 21, 2017 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Regarding the mention of realself.com, it seems there are quite a few comments from twenty-somethings (male and female) about loss of volume in the face (i.e. flattened cheeks, hollowing). Here is a sampling of responses from the various plastic surgeons:

"In the presence of perfect health fat loss in the face is a natural occurrence which accompanies the aging process, and sometimes makes faces look less attractive."

"As we get older we lose our "baby fat" and our face becomes more defined...."

"The cheeks look like you are losing some of the fat associated with youth (baby fat) and it has left you with a very masculine looking face."

"The main cause is aging and as you get older you have more volume loss."

"A few medications have been implicated but none you mention. Heredity and the pre programmed loss of facial fat is the big culprit."

5 Causes of Volume Loss
https://www.newbeauty.com/blog/dailybeauty/7833-5-causes-of-volume-loss/
1. Yo-Yo Dieting and Extreme Exercising
2. Excessive Sun Exposure
3. Hormonal Changes
4. Too Thin of a Frame
5. Receding Bones

When does facial volume loss begin to occur?
It varies from person to person; however, the process typically begins at some point in a person’s 20s. This is when the natural supports of the skin begin to break down. This results in a gradual definition loss of such facial areas as the templates (temples), lips, forehead, jawline, cheeks, and eye sockets. This process can accelerate as you grow older or can be influenced by a number of environmental or behavioral factors.
https://www.dianewaldermd.com/cosmetic-procedures/facial-volume-loss

Good advice from fitgineer and others to see your primary care physician for a physical workup and labs to rule out underlying health issues (i.e. thyroid, hormones) or allergies.
koskiw

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I began losing my hair almost 3-1/2 years ago. After going to a host of doctors, the best response I received was I was under too much stress. About a year ago, in desperation after some research, I concluded it might be the lack of silicon in my diet. I ordered a bottle of BioSil Hair, Skin & Nails from Amazon. The minute the product arrived, I started taking it. Within 2 weeks, my hair quit falling out! My hairdresser was amazed!! It's been several months and though I no longer take 2 capsules per day (I take 1 per day in the morning and another one in the evening 3 nights per week). My hair has grown out as thick as it use to be. What is kind of funny is the mostly silver hair I use to have now has a lot more dark brown in it as all the hair that grew back came in dark brown which is my normal hair color. I do have less deep wrinkles than before but I'm not wrinkle free as I'm 68 years old.
I'm impressed enough with this product I'm going to have my husband try the BioSil Bone Matrix as he has osteopenia.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
tanya16 wrote:
Hi Donna, I took biosil about 12 months ago and it did negatively affect my face as well. I lost a lot of the fat underneath my eyes, and now the skin under my eyes has become very thin and dark. I do not know what to do as dealing with sunken eyes is something that is irreversible.

From what I understand, depending in your age taking the supplement puts you in higher dosage. Younger bodies has enough silica to maintain youthfulness. Silica is like copper, to much will have a negative effect. Do not use it unless your body has been depleted these minerals due to age and need it.
High amounts of silica in your body helps with weight loss resulting in loss of stationary fat that holds on and is hard to lose(i.e. fat in the waist and on your face). If you have dark circles you lack proper circulation. Depending on your age, your body will correct itself with a balanced diet and hydration. You younger girls are doing more damage trying to prevent age trying all this stuff. Just moisturize your skin, take a multivitamin, and stay hydrated.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |