Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Olive Oil for Sun Protection?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
essenpa

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know if olive oil protects from sun as well? Can it be used as an alternative sunscreen?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 am      Reply with quote
Nothing is an alternative to sunscreen.... because UVA and UVB rays are the ones that do the damage and so a physical sunscreen is a must if you are serious about having good skin.

Olive oil contains moisturizing properties but is very low in skin rejuvenating ingredients. Yes it has lipids, but they are the only thing.

I know Sophia Loren swears by Olive Oil but also admits that she avoids the sun too!
essenpa wrote:
Does anyone know if olive oil protects from sun as well? Can it be used as an alternative sunscreen?
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 am      Reply with quote
No true.. my friend used olive oil on his hands while playing tennis. He has gotten big into holistic methods since a health scare.

It has an spf of 4 or 8.. he said all the brown spots on his hands have disappeared after using it for a while.

This information made me look up essential oils.. and in research I learned that pomegranate and raspberry seed oil have high levels of spf protection that compare to chemical sunscreens.

No reason for any of us to be using these chemicals on our precious skin.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Sorry but that's not true. Olive oil doesn't have any SPF protection at all.

Red raspberry is an exception but it depends on the quality of oil as to the actual SPF obtained but it can be from an SPF of only 20-50. Rasperry oil is actually better used as an after sun treatment because it helps the skin recover from UVA and UVB damage.

Olive oil sadly does not. I know New Scientist Magazine did a study about it slowing the growth of tumours - but it did not classify olive oil as providing an SPF. The amount of SPF these oils contain is far from what we need to adequately protect ourselves from UV damage.

hotdocgirl wrote:
No true.. my friend used olive oil on his hands while playing tennis. He has gotten big into holistic methods since a health scare.

It has an spf of 4 or 8.. he said all the brown spots on his hands have disappeared after using it for a while.

This information made me look up essential oils.. and in research I learned that pomegranate and raspberry seed oil have high levels of spf protection that compare to chemical sunscreens.

No reason for any of us to be using these chemicals on our precious skin.
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:26 am      Reply with quote
I love Red Raspberry seed oil. I mix it in with pomegranate and rosehip oil.

As for olive oil, isn't this what sun-worshippers in the 80's used to apply to speed up their tan?? Shock

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Absolutely re speeding up tan. Little did we know then about UVA and UVB rays so olive oil was all the rage (Joan Collins apparently was a fan).
LondonJamie wrote:
I love Red Raspberry seed oil. I mix it in with pomegranate and rosehip oil.

As for olive oil, isn't this what sun-worshippers in the 80's used to apply to speed up their tan?? Shock
jessica1000

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:42 am      Reply with quote
You can choose natural sunscreen oils. These natural sunscreen oils are much better for sun protection as compared to artificial sunscreen creams. Carrot seed oil is a vegetable oil that has the maximum amount of SPF. It is also rich in antioxidants and has very good antiseptic properties.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
jessica1000 wrote:
You can choose natural sunscreen oils. These natural sunscreen oils are much better for sun protection as compared to artificial sunscreen creams. Carrot seed oil is a vegetable oil that has the maximum amount of SPF. It is also rich in antioxidants and has very good antiseptic properties.

Do you have documented research on oils?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Oil, probably attracts the sun more. Only Vita C and mineral powder has some natural sun protection but if you are in hot climates I would wear full sunblock.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:37 am      Reply with quote
bugaboo wrote:
Oil, probably attracts the sun more. Only Vita C and mineral powder has some natural sun protection but if you are in hot climates I would wear full sunblock.

I always thought this too - I don't care for oils in my sunscreen.

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:32 am      Reply with quote
When I see oils and heat I think of cooking. I don't think any oil is a good alternative for sun screen.
I hate all the nasty chemicals, too, but just try to find one that's not so harsh...particularly for the face..one that you can live with.
And I take astaxanthin..
It's an antioxidant that has many benefits and one of those benefits is to help protect the skin from sun damage.
GiusyMarino
5% products discount

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:22 am      Reply with quote
I've heard that European women use olive oil as a moisturizer. I would not put any type of oil on a sunburn as it will continue to make your skin cook if it is exposed to heat, such as the sun.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
here is good read on spf of oils... everyone here is such an 'expert.." http://livingprettynaturally.com/natural-oil-sunscreens-what-you-need-to-know/
xiyue
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed No! Nothing is an alternative to sunscreen.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:57 am      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
here is good read on spf of oils... everyone here is such an 'expert.." http://livingprettynaturally.com/natural-oil-sunscreens-what-you-need-to-know/

This is one green blogger who is hardly an expert. To suggest that certain oils that spf of 20+ is dangerous.

Thu May 04, 2017 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
You can put olive oil on your skin and lay out in the sun, sure. But it will NOT act as a sunscreen.
amber_flower
5% products discount

Tue May 30, 2017 9:42 am      Reply with quote
There are a number of oils that offer some small degree of UV protection such as red raspberry oil, urucum oil, broccoli oil, shea butter, coconut oil and others.......never...and I mean never count on them as your sole source of protection.
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Drinking green tea before sun also does help prevent sun damage. I study nanomaterials and am very cautious about mant sunscreen products.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
No, don't even talk about it.

It can be nourishing... that's what the Greeks and italians would put on before sun baking in the 60s to keep the moisture in.

But seriously as a sunscreen, YOU GOT TO BE JOKING

THIS TOPIC SHOULD BE BANNED.
student201516
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:38 am      Reply with quote
essenpa wrote:

i have heard aloe vera does have some mild protection, but with sunscreen, you should use professional sunscreen lotion, an unbrella, on sunprotection gears, such as hats
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:38 am      Reply with quote
As per the website:

Another note about UVA & UVB rays: Aside from Red Raspberry Seed Oil, most plant oils protect only against UVB rays. Use caution or mix with a non-nano sized zinc oxide formula (non-nano meaning it doesn’t absorb into your skin).

Good advice.

hotdocgirl wrote:
wenning
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
If you are not allergic to olive oil, it should be sunscreen. Many oils have the function of sun protection and ultraviolet radiation isolation, which can protect skin.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 am      Reply with quote
Sadly not all do. There is also a lot of misinformation about oils and their UVA and UVB protection too. So I would really urge on the side of caution. From what I can tell, I've not seen anything actually proving from a science perspective that this is correct either (although see above, I saw the raspberry oil suggestion).
wenning wrote:
If you are not allergic to olive oil, it should be sunscreen. Many oils have the function of sun protection and ultraviolet radiation isolation, which can protect skin.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Sadly not all do. There is also a lot of misinformation about oils and their UVA and UVB protection too. So I would really urge on the side of caution. From what I can tell, I've not seen anything actually proving from a science perspective that this is correct either (although see above, I saw the raspberry oil suggestion).
wenning wrote:

Agan, Wenning where is your documented research on this? Green blggers are not expects.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Perhaps people are getting their information from pubmed articles such as these:

Potential of herbs in skin protection from ultraviolet radiation
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263051/

Quote:
Plant oils as sunscreens

Researchers have found that some plant oils contain natural sunscreens. For example, sesame oil resists 30% of UV rays, whereas coconut, peanut, olive, and cottonseed oils block out about 20%. Although mineral oil does not resist any UV rays, it helps to protect skin by dissolving the sebum secreted from oil glands, thus assisting evaporation from the skin.[27,83]

In vitro sun protection factor determination of herbal oils used in cosmetics
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21808534/
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51539723_In_vitro_sun_protection_factor_determination_of_herbal_oils_used_in_cosmetics

Quote:
The aim of this study was to evaluate ultraviolet (UV) absorption ability of volatile and nonvolatile herbal oils used in sunscreens or cosmetics and express the same in terms of sun protection factor (SPF) values. Sun protection factor is a laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen; the higher the SPF, the more protection a sunscreen offers against the ultraviolet radiations causing sunburn. The in vitro SPF is determined according to the spectrophotometric method of Mansur et al. Hydroalcoholic dilutions of oils were prepared, and in vitro photoprotective activity was studied by UV spectrophotometric method in the range of 290-320 nm. It can be observed that the SPF values found for nonvolatile oils were in between 2 and 8; and for volatile oils, in between 1 and 7. Among the fixed oils taken, SPF value of olive oil was found to be the highest. Similarly among essential oils, SPF value of peppermint oil was found to be the highest. The study will be helpful in the selection of oils and fragrances to develop sunscreens with better safety and high SPF. Oily vehicles are more effective for producing a uniform and long-lasting film of sunscreen on the skin, and their emollient properties protect the skin against the drying effects of exposure to wind and sun. Volatile oils are used as perfumes in cosmetics.

Quote:
It can be observed from Table 3 that the SPF values found for nonvolatile oils were in between 2 and 8; and for volatile oils, in between 1 and 7. Out of these nonvolatile or fixed oils taken, the SPF value of olive oil and coconut oil was found to be around 8; castor oil, around 6; almond oil, around 5; mustard oil and chaulmoogra oil, around 3; and sesame oil, around 2. Hence it can be concluded that olive oil and coconut oil have the best SPF values, a finding that will be helpful in the selection of fixed oil during the formulation of sunscreens.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:40 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |