Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

HOMEMADE HELP FOR RAZOR BURN/INGROWNS/RED BUMPS
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Everytime I shave my poor legs, I invariably get horrible razor burn, ingrown hairs and red bumps and I've tried just about everything to combat or alleviate the problem, but all to no avail. Recently, I started exfoliating using Bare Escentuals Escentual Body Polish before I shave and that seemed to help, but not enough. At most, it would give me an exquisitely close shave, but I'd still get the ingrowns and red bumps.

Recently, after I made the homemade TendSkin formula and while I was playing arouind with aspirin masks for my face, I had a brainstorm. Since the active ingredient of TendSkin is aspirin and the aspirin masks help gently exoliate the face, why not make a pre-shaving scrub made from crushed aspirin?

So, I did! I crushed up about 10 plain, uncoated aspirin, then added a Tbs. of honey (to "bind" the aspirin: honey is also a good skin moisturizer and humectant) and a 1/2 tsp of liquid glycerin (to give the mixture "slip" over my skin). Just for grins, I also added a drop of Tea Tree Oil and a drop of peppermint essential oil.

I mixed all these ingredients, then smoothed it onto my (clean, dry) legs and waited about 15 minutes (I based this on the typcial instructions for the aspirin facial masks) for it to "marinate," then I got into the shower and dampened my hands then vigorously rubbed/scrubbed the crushed aspirin onto my legs (the next time, for even more exfoliating power, I slipped on a pair of exfoliating gloves!). Then I rinsed my legs thoroughly and shaved my legs as normal (note: I use Zirh shave gel and a Gilette Venus razor), then followed with the homemade TendSkin. After that dried, I rubbed in my homemade body oil (mixture of Vitamin E oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil and olive oil, plus a couple of drops of my fave essential oils to give it scent because I'd heard that baby oil is NOT a good body oil/moisturizer...).

Now, I've only been using my little honey aspirin pre-shaving scrub for a couple of days, but I must say that it seems to be working. For the very first time in my life, when I shaved my legs, I didn't get any new red bumps or ingrowns and my existing bumps/ingrowns seem to be healing as well. Also, I got one of the closest shaves that I've ever experienced! Normally, I can feel stubble on my legs a mere 18 hours after shaving, but it's been 36 hours and I still feel no stubble at all!! I liked the results of this pre-shave scrub so much, that I whipped up a huge batch and put it in an old jar I'd recycled so I don't have to make it fresh each time I shave! Smile

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my findings in case there are others out there who suffer the same type of shaving ordeal and are looking for a little relief....

Carrie
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
oooooh how do you make your H/M tendskin type stuff? Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
I used the recipe I found at this link: http://www.geocities.com/bonnecasey/tendskinhomemade.html

What you need:

Uncoated aspirin
70% alcohol
Witch Hazel
A measuring cup/bottle
2 bottles used to shake mixtures
1 8oz or more bottle/container to keep finished product

What you do:

1. Pour 5.5oz of 70% alcohol into one bottle.
2. Drop 18 uncoated aspirins into the alcohol. Cap bottle and shake.
3. Pour 2.5oz of witch hazel into the second bottle.
4. Drop 8 uncoated aspirins into the witch hazel. Cap bottle and shake.
5. Wait awhile (30 minutes to a whole day) for the aspirins to dissolve in the liquids. Shake periodically to help dissolve aspirin and mix. NOTE: not all of the aspirin will dissolve. That’s ok- some of it never will.
6. Now combine both the alcohol and witch hazel mixtures together into one bottle. Make sure you shake it up before you pour them out so you also get the aspirin residue into the new bottle.

This last bottle is your Tendskin! Use 1-2 a day. Reduce usage if you experience dryness or flaking or irritation. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ASPIRIN. Make sure you shake it well before each use.

Note: the homemade TendSkin recipe that used to be listed on MUA is no longer there. I don't know if the page got deleted or what, but it's gone!
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
Cheers Carrie! I will try that, though I'm not sure what sort of alcohol to use Think would it be ethanol? there may be restrictions on getting it in UK

Also I may be tempted to drink it Laughing

Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:59 am      Reply with quote
I just used rubbing alcohol for mine (Isocol if you have that in the UK). Mind you, I wasn't too fond of this preparation (unless I did it wrong....). The aspirin settled at the bottom of the bottle and would clog up the spray bottle as well, plus I felt it wasn't as effective. I ended up chucking it out. Would love to hear your experiences with it though.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a recipe for homemade Tendskin

Source: http://www.skinacea.com/diy/diy-recipes.html#pagetop
(This looks similar to Carekate's recipe)

HOMEMADE TEND SKIN

Tend Skin is a product that is amazing for getting rid of ingrown hairs and razor bumps. This homemade recipe is easy to make and does the same thing as the bottle you buy in the store.

Ingredients:

½ cup rubbing alcohol (70% kind)
1 teaspoon witch hazel
20 uncoated aspirin
Clean, empty bottle

Instructions:

Throw everything together in a clean bottle and wait for the aspirin to dissolve.
Shake well before each use.

Comments:

This homemade Tend Skin should last for around a week. If it starts to smell like vinegar, throw it out and make a new batch because the aspirin has probably gone bad.

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:06 am      Reply with quote
What I find helps with any rasor burn, ingrown hairs, redness, acne, any inflammation of skin is pure Witch Hazel. It's cheap and can be bought at the pharmacy. It has natural soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. Even works to clear pores as an astringent/toner and works on cuts scrapes and even cold sores.
As a treat I will add glycerine and rose water and that can be used as well if more moisture is needed. Rosewater is known for its healing properties and glycerine is an emollient (if needed). Can be used not o ly on rasor burn and ingrown hairs but on many things like face for cleansing and moisturizing.
Hope that helps. Best wishes.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:42 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |